How high is health insurance going to go?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
AerialWombat

Re: How high is health insurance going to go?

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:28 pm

fortfun wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 am
AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 pm
The health sharing program I participate in just increased from $45/mo to $74/mo. I'm OK with that.
Where do you get a deal like that? :sharebeer
It’s one of the large religious health share programs.

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:43 pm

rterickson wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:37 am
fortfun wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:31 am
AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:42 pm
The health sharing program I participate in just increased from $45/mo to $74/mo. I'm OK with that.
Where do you get a deal like that? :sharebeer
When you're not looking for ACA-compliant health insurance.
Fixed that for you.

Health sharing plans may work for someone's needs (individual choice and risk assessment), but they are NOT health insurance (ACA-compliant, or otherwise). The plans themselves will readily make this clear.

People suggesting them really should propose them as an alternative solution in place of health insurance, not as another source for getting health insurance.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:28 pm

What is personal and actionable about this topic?

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:39 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:28 pm
What is personal and actionable about this topic?
OP is considering current and future health care costs when considering whether or not to retire early.

It's both personal and actionable.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm

So how did you answer his question without involving *any* politics? Is that possible?

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:57 pm

It's too early to know in your case. I went through something similar before retiring Jan 2019 at age 53.

I tracked ACA costs for us (DW is 2 years younger). They went from $14k per year in 2014 to $28k per year in 2019. On top of that the deductible bounced around from $10k to $4k.

However, if we could keep our income beneath the subsidy cliff, that would drop to $1,000 to $2,000 per year plus deductible.

Oh and no vision or dental covered either.

How do you budget for that?

I decided to assume the worst case, and put off retirement until we could cover the most expensive ACA plan with no subsidies, plus add in an annual vision and dental estimate. That came out to about $40k total per year.

On the bright side, costs for 2020 plans actually dropped about $1,500 per year. So hopefully that trend will continue.

In the mean time, we shifted our finances a bit to get or income town, plus added quite a bit of short term bonds in taxable o we could withdrawal as needed and stay under ACA subsidy cliff.

You might consider doing something similar. Including contributing more to ROTH, if you have that option.

Also, having the option to work part time and get health insurance is golden. I've looked for several years for a job like that, but haven't found anything yet. I'd try to make sure you keep that option on the table.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:11 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:57 pm
It's too early to know in your case. I went through something similar before retiring Jan 2019 at age 53.

I tracked ACA costs for us (DW is 2 years younger). They went from $14k per year in 2014 to $28k per year in 2019. On top of that the deductible bounced around from $10k to $4k.

However, if we could keep our income beneath the subsidy cliff, that would drop to $1,000 to $2,000 per year plus deductible.

Oh and no vision or dental covered either.

How do you budget for that?

I decided to assume the worst case, and put off retirement until we could cover the most expensive ACA plan with no subsidies, plus add in an annual vision and dental estimate. That came out to about $40k total per year.

On the bright side, costs for 2020 plans actually dropped about $1,500 per year. So hopefully that trend will continue.

In the mean time, we shifted our finances a bit to get or income town, plus added quite a bit of short term bonds in taxable o we could withdrawal as needed and stay under ACA subsidy cliff.

You might consider doing something similar. Including contributing more to ROTH, if you have that option.

Also, having the option to work part time and get health insurance is golden. I've looked for several years for a job like that, but haven't found anything yet. I'd try to make sure you keep that option on the table.

This pretty much sums it up. Costs can be all over the place depending on where you live, your financial situation, and future changes. Really hard to make any predictions.

But, life is always uncertain, so make a plan, and have back up approaches identified, who knows when you might need them.

We retired in early 2018 at age 51. We budgeted $30k/yr for health insurance, and plan for it to increase at 2% above inflation (so, 2% real growth in costs). While we can, we will manage income to get the Premium Tax Credits. We mentally "bank" the difference each year we can do that to help guard against if/when costs go up even higher than we planned.

Good luck to all trying to navigate this morass.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Topic Author
fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm
So how did you answer his question without involving *any* politics? Is that possible?
I'm not interested in politics. I'm just trying to make a plan and was hoping there was information about expected future costs. Evidently, there is not...

Buckeye

Post by Buckeye » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:49 pm

I figured a 70k/yr pension, 2M in savings, and 600k paid off house would be enough... Maybe not...
Seems like it would easy with all that. Just part of the gains from your investments would cover $3k a month premiums. Your savings should still grow albeit slower. If you don't have enough of savings in taxable you could consider a SEPP large enough to cover the premiums give or take.

Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:27 pm

fortfun wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:23 pm
DW and I are planning on calling quits around 51 and 53 (approx 4.5 years from now). I was just checking current health insurance prices available from our state's pension system. Currently, a crappy HDHP plan is going to cost $1,500 month and a "better" plan is going to cost $3k/month. The better plan would eat up nearly half of my monthly pension. How much higher are people expecting insurance to go? This could spoil our early retirement plan. One of us may need to maintain a half time job just for insurance. Is there a website with future health insurance cost predictions?
Well, let me rephrase your question as "What is considered as 'enough profit' by healthcare industry CEO's" and I think you'll already have a good answer.
Posts regarding risk of skyrocketing healthcare prices, uncertainty with future taxes and SS somehow are considered political and got deleted but I hope you'll read before it's gone

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:05 am

fortfun wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 pm
Jon_PassiveInvestor wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:24 pm
We are 31 and pay $1800 for the three of us!!!
I think health insurance is going to be the real wildcard in our plan....
You're not alone. In the current environment, health care is the wild card in the plan for everyone who lived frugally, invested in a disciplined manner, and thinks they have maybe-kinda-hopefully have enough to retire, esp. those who are retiring early.

SoAnyway, you asked for direction to a website or other resource with healthcare cost predictions, OP. In short you've asked for direction to a healthcare-cost crystal ball. If they exist - and they probably do in the form of marketing drivel (just like those claiming to predict what the stock market will do in 2020 and beyond) - would you trust them and make decisions for your family based on them? :confused

FWIW, I finally decided that I wasn't going to let myself be held hostage. I pulled the trigger 11+ years from Medicare. Wish me luck. ; ) :sharebeer
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:33 am

i was self employed (self funded healthcare) for 25 years then retired early pre Medicare. Fortunately, never used our healthcare insurance. We managed healthcare premiums by increasing our deductible each year. I don’t know if that option exists.
The increases will continue until the country decides is healthcare a right or a privilege. Today the public believes it is a right but the government/society funds it as a privilege (The disconnect). Only when a leader/politician stands up and says we need to define/ration healthcare will this problem be controlled. So when someone can say we need to ration healthcare and get elected that’s when you will see cost controlled. Sorry, but that’s where we stand.

happyisland

Post by happyisland » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:41 am

Maybe this is me being optimistic, but it seems like the USA will eventually figure this out. I am hoping that, say 20 years from now, America will have brought its health care costs and results into line with the rest of the developed world.

bornloser

Post by bornloser » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:59 pm

This was touched on in a reply but not responded to (that I can see): are there any tax advantages that would mitigate paying healthcare premium on the open market. Specifically, itemizing for those tax years by adding property taxes and health insurance premiums (above 7.5% AGI), using an HSA. And if you can come up with any business idea (picture framing, fruit stand, etc) couldn't you have a small business plan (put your spouse on it) and get a 1/2 deduction for premiums on page one 1040. Any thoughts on that?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:01 pm

J45 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:47 am
US healthcare system is a huge mess and its not because of doctors!

Its insurance companies, their lobbying, pharmaceutical companies and hospital institutions. Give you example: A prostate removal surgery in US can cost from $30000 - $100000. Same surgery with same level of care costs $5000 in India.

Medication prices example: any average monthly medicine supply is 10-25 times more expensive in US compared to other countries, even Canada. And corporates don't care if one can afford treatment or not.

Some medications are cheaper if you check prices at various pharmacies and more cheap if you have no insurance E.g. Insulin with insurance is much more costly than non-insurance price of $40 at Walmart.

Insurance prices will continue to increase until the whole system falls apart or we start getting drugs from other countries or we have insurance policies from other countries. If you live close to border, you can get 3-month supply of hypertension meds from Canada and its much cheaper.
Nah it is the doctors. If they were all willing to work for 20k/year like Indian doctors do, health care costs would plummet.:) If you go to a cheaper country, things are cheaper all the way down the line. You pay less in salaries. You pay less to build your building. You pay less in malpractice. And so on. And no I don't expect US doctors to work for 20k. I also don't expect that drug companies can give US people India prices. Right now they can do that to capture marginal sales (the cost for most drugs is R&D not production). Without the US paying inflated prices, the whole system would mutate.

How high can prices go? Who knows. We have been complaining about the rapid increases in health care costs for 30 years not and the trend line hasn't broken. With a population that is getting unhealthier all the time (the progress we made with smoking as been more than offset with obesity) where it ends up is anyones guess. At some point if prices get too absurd, there will be a push to put more people on medicare ( right now that is about ~11k per person of a population that is sicker than the people buying health care insurance) which would a be a way of reducing provider income. But that would have tons of side effects also.

Personally I just take todays costs, add 5%/year (roughly the inflation number over the past 20 years. Some years it is 1-2% other years 10%) and use that to guess my costs. Not exact but it is hard to plan for much more than that.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:16 pm

I was just at a financial advisor.

For planning, they used figures of $37K/ yr for two of us, before Medicare, $10.4K after that, with base Inflation at 2.6 %. and healthcare inflation as 4.6%.

I agree with them except for the $37K. I am fortunate that it will only be 18K based on my employer's group plan.

Sorry to hear that your employer does not offer a better retiree plan. In your 50's it will be a long time before Medicare

It is possible that retirees are being subsidized in order to allow them to retire earlier to make room for younger employees.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:24 pm

When I retired in late 2008 at age 45 (pre-ACA), my HI premiums rose nearly 50% in the first 2 years, putting a strain on my budget. But by 2011, the ACA had been passed with the exchanges coming on line in 2014. I switched to a cheap, bare-bones, hospital-only policy to get me through the end of 2013. Without the ACA, I was asking myself the OP's title question of this thread because at the rate my premiums were rising, I'd be paying well over $1k per month by 2014.

In 2014, I signed up with a Silver plan and qualified for a small ACA subsidy, as I was nearly at the MAGI limit. Even without the subsidy, the premium had dropped to well below the 2009 level. From 2014-2016, I remained under the MAGI limit, but barely. In 2015, I got sick and spent 12 days in the hospital. The ACA saved me, getting me well again without making me broke.

In 2017, I went over the ACA MAGI cliff. It happened again in 2018 and 2019. Premiums were rising by 10%+ a year, and the lost subsidies were growing rapidly, too, doubling each year from 2017-2019. So, I had to do something about that. I made a small but meaningful change to my portfolio at the very end of 2019 and will not only be qualifying for a subsidy but it will be a rather big one, reducing my premiums by 50%-60%.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:35 pm

bornloser wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:59 pm
This was touched on in a reply but not responded to (that I can see): are there any tax advantages that would mitigate paying healthcare premium on the open market. Specifically, itemizing for those tax years by adding property taxes and health insurance premiums (above 7.5% AGI), using an HSA. And if you can come up with any business idea (picture framing, fruit stand, etc) couldn't you have a small business plan (put your spouse on it) and get a 1/2 deduction for premiums on page one 1040. Any thoughts on that?
You could deduct your health care expenses (over the 7.5 or 10% threshold) but they'd have to be higher than the standard deduction for it to make sense. And if your income was low enough to get over the 7.5% bar you'd likely be getting subsidies (non-deductible) to cover most of your premiums anyway.

Small business health insurance requires at least one common law employee (non-related). Rates are a little better but not much. Self employed people often just get regular individual ACA insurance.

If you are legitimately self employed you could deduct your health insurance premiums up to the income from your business. So if your fruit stand made enough to pay all of your health insurance you could take the whole amount as a deduction.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 pm

There is a lot of money in health insurance. Look at profits of largest insurers. Profits are money not paid out in claims for the most part. Look at cost of pharmaceuticals - look at insulin, advair, restasis are some of the prescriptions that cost an arm and leg in price.

I expecthealth insurance to keep going up until something stops it in its tracks.

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 pm

Keep in mind that health insurance depends heavily on where you live, it increases faster than inflation, and it depends a lot on your age. You can't do anything about systemic annual increases, and presumably you're not going to make a move primarily motivated by healthcare, but you can at least calibrate expectations for how much premiums normally increase due to age-based premiums.

I recently came across a small insurance startup who listed their age-based premiums in their pamphlet. I found the age-based pricing table to be very interesting as a single-sample that might illuminate general pricing trends (no idea if this is really representative...):
http://docs.decent.com/provider/2020-Tr ... verage.pdf

(This specific company serves the self-employed in a limited geographic region, and does not appear to be an option for an early retiree or "unemployed person".)

posting some datapoints here in case they change their pamphlet:

age=15, $250/month
age=20, $290/month
age=25, $301
age=30, $335
age=35, $365
age=40, $384
age=45, $440
age=50, $540
age=55, $671

age=57, $732
age=59, $784
age=60, $817
age=61, $845
age=62, $865
age=63, $890
age=64, $907

What I'm seeing from this is that, after age 55, premiums start going up pretty steeply every year.
(I wouldn't get fixated on specific numbers. It's a startup, the prices might be a tad low relative to full ACA prices in the area, and for someone living in a different part of the country, you'd probably need to scale all the numbers anyway. The general trend of price vs age is the part that I think should be informative. Then again, this company's actuaries could've screwed up and mispriced their product pricing curve. Who knows. If anyone has found a publicly available convenient pricing chart for a large insurer, please do share)

Of course, for most people who are getting ACA subsidies, that further distorts the pricing curve in presumably complex and highly personalized ways. That might make the above pricing chart completely irrelevant.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:19 am

scrabbler1 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:24 pm
When I retired in late 2008 at age 45 (pre-ACA), my HI premiums rose nearly 50% in the first 2 years, putting a strain on my budget. But by 2011, the ACA had been passed with the exchanges coming on line in 2014. I switched to a cheap, bare-bones, hospital-only policy to get me through the end of 2013. Without the ACA, I was asking myself the OP's title question of this thread because at the rate my premiums were rising, I'd be paying well over $1k per month by 2014.

In 2014, I signed up with a Silver plan and qualified for a small ACA subsidy, as I was nearly at the MAGI limit. Even without the subsidy, the premium had dropped to well below the 2009 level. From 2014-2016, I remained under the MAGI limit, but barely. In 2015, I got sick and spent 12 days in the hospital. The ACA saved me, getting me well again without making me broke.

In 2017, I went over the ACA MAGI cliff. It happened again in 2018 and 2019. Premiums were rising by 10%+ a year, and the lost subsidies were growing rapidly, too, doubling each year from 2017-2019. So, I had to do something about that. I made a small but meaningful change to my portfolio at the very end of 2019 and will not only be qualifying for a subsidy but it will be a rather big one, reducing my premiums by 50%-60%.
I can kind of envision a situation in early retirement where one will do massive Roth conversions in the first few years so that afterwards they can drop their income into ACA subsidy territory. I can't imagine paying $30k+ a year for insurance with an additional $10k family limit. Could be worth paying $200k in taxes to get free ACA healthcare for 10+ years.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418

MP123

Post by MP123 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:58 am

random_walker_77 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:58 pm
Keep in mind that health insurance depends heavily on where you live, it increases faster than inflation, and it depends a lot on your age. You can't do anything about systemic annual increases, and presumably you're not going to make a move primarily motivated by healthcare, but you can at least calibrate expectations for how much premiums normally increase due to age-based premiums.

I recently came across a small insurance startup who listed their age-based premiums in their pamphlet. I found the age-based pricing table to be very interesting as a single-sample that might illuminate general pricing trends (no idea if this is really representative...):
http://docs.decent.com/provider/2020-Tr ... verage.pdf

(This specific company serves the self-employed in a limited geographic region, and does not appear to be an option for an early retiree or "unemployed person".)

posting some datapoints here in case they change their pamphlet:

age=15, $250/month
age=20, $290/month
age=25, $301
age=30, $335
age=35, $365
age=40, $384
age=45, $440
age=50, $540
age=55, $671

age=57, $732
age=59, $784
age=60, $817
age=61, $845
age=62, $865
age=63, $890
age=64, $907

What I'm seeing from this is that, after age 55, premiums start going up pretty steeply every year.
(I wouldn't get fixated on specific numbers. It's a startup, the prices might be a tad low relative to full ACA prices in the area, and for someone living in a different part of the country, you'd probably need to scale all the numbers anyway. The general trend of price vs age is the part that I think should be informative. Then again, this company's actuaries could've screwed up and mispriced their product pricing curve. Who knows. If anyone has found a publicly available convenient pricing chart for a large insurer, please do share)

Of course, for most people who are getting ACA subsidies, that further distorts the pricing curve in presumably complex and highly personalized ways. That might make the above pricing chart completely irrelevant.
That price curve (if not the precise prices) is about right. One of the provisions of the ACA is that companies can't charge their oldest adult customers more than three times as much as their youngest. The proposal in congress a few years ago (not passed) was to increase that to five times.

So when planning for future premium costs for ACA you really need to consider that you'll be a year older next year and will have a substantial increase even if rates on the whole don't increase at all. This is particularly true after about age 50.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:25 am

I wonder if there's a ray of hope out there for one chunk of the health insurance system -- prescription drugs. My ex-employer decreed many years ago that we get our meds from a mail order pharmacy due to their lower prices. Over the years, those prices evidently got to be kinda high, because now my old employer has negotiated better pricing. In some cases, the prices are substantially lower. For example, I take a generic statin that, in late 2019, had a total cost (amount paid by insurance, plus my co-pay) of $68.59. I got a refill about a month ago, and now the total cost is $4.19. That's a 94% decrease. I'm wondering if smartphone apps such as GoodRx, which allow you to compare prices for meds at different local pharmacies, will exert downward pressure on medication prices? Or is that wishful thinking on my part?
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

Godot

Post by Godot » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:36 am

fortfun wrote:
DW and I are planning on calling quits around 51 and 53 (approx 4.5 years from now). I was just checking current health insurance prices available from our state's pension system. Currently, a crappy HDHP plan is going to cost $1,500 month and a "better" plan is going to cost $3k/month. The better plan would eat up nearly half of my monthly pension. How much higher are people expecting insurance to go? This could spoil our early retirement plan. One of us may need to maintain a half time job just for insurance. Is there a website with future health insurance cost predictions?
Move to Thailand. Air and water quality are crap, government is a mess, but healthcare very cheap.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 am

US healthcare is so expensive because the prices of just about everything (doctors, hospitals, drugs, administration) are higher than other countries. Perhaps surprisingly, it's not because we use more healthcare. For example, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/upsh ... rison.html

OogieBoogie

Post by OogieBoogie » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:29 am

Just read through this thread and was surprised about those costs. We (family of four) pay here in Switzerland, which compare to other countries is usually super expensive, are paying monthly CHF 850 (around $850). No restrictions - except experimental medicine, holistic medicine or massages or similar stuff. For that you would need an extra insurance for probably CHF 250.- per month.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:40 am

fortfun wrote:
If you have any connection to another country, you can investigate becoming a resident there until you become eligible for Medicare.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:09 am

fortfun wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:30 am
sawhorse wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:29 am
If you want affordable healthcare in early (pre-Medicare age) retirement, the key is to move to another country. The United States has by far the most expensive healthcare in the world, and there are many entities who benefit from that fact and will work hard to keep it that way.
Can you buy policies from another country easily? How much do they typically cost? I wouldn't mind moving somewhere with a warmer climate (Panama, Belize, etc.)
By American standards healthcare costs either with or without a health insurance plan are quite reasonable and quality healthcare exist in many locales around the world. With some exceptions residency in most of the developed world will likely not be available to you nor the universal healthcare provided. I left the US many, many years ago. Took a pay cut but no longer worry about healthcare or university costs.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 am

fortfun wrote:
There are not many options.
DW and I were also paying very high premiums for bad/marginal coverage. And, it did not get better, or worse, when we got hit with the ACA Subsidy Cliff penalties for higher income. Medicare was a welcome relief.
Actionably:
You may have to maintain employment for the reduced medical premiums until you qualify for Medicare.
For you, that might be over 10 years beyond your plans.

As far as health insurance cost predictions, higher premiums at reduced coverage seems to be the norm. Those that can pay, will pay for those that can't, thus things equalize for worse or better.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:19 am

This topic has run its course (topic exhausted) and has been locked. See Locked Topics:
Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)