Tax software/online

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Tideout

Tax software/online

Post by Tideout »

Hello, Long story short....... I am thinking of going with TurboTax for the first time. My tax return is basically standard deduction/wages/dividends/cap gains. Is TurboTax better than the other cheap/free options? Superior customer service? Also, do you think it is safe to give up your passwords to import the numbers? Up to now, I have done it manually! Tideout
RickBoglehead

Re: Tax software/online

Post by RickBoglehead »

TurboTax is very good, yes. You would want TurboTax Deluxe with State (if you have a state return to do).

What do you need Customer Service for?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
Tideout

Post by Tideout »

If something goes wrong!
mhc

Post by mhc »

Turbotax customer service is very good. You can do an on-line video chat if you need help. I have been very pleased.

If I had such a simple return, I would do it by hand or use one of the free electronic sites.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

If you decide to use TT I recommend using the "deluxe" version downloaded software or disk purchase version, rather than the online version, especially with investment income to report. I do not know what they are doing for 2019 taxes, but in years past the online version has forced you to upgrade to "premier" level if you needed to enter dividends/cap gains; the downloaded deluxe version tries to upsell you to premier, but nevertheless allows you to enter your investment income and complete your return.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Suggest this search: http://www.google.com/search?q=OLT+free ... %3Airs.gov

I've used OLT (OnLine Tax) for past several years and like it. It's free if you are below the free file limit, <$20 if over---me last year. Does what you want, better price than TT, and no funny bait and switch.

Does not import tax data. Minimum hand holding, so a learning curve. No problems noted.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
CodeMaster

Post by CodeMaster »

I heard there online tax prep support is worth the $$
toblerone

Post by toblerone »

Unlike TaxAct which I previously used, TurboTax has all tax forms available in the Basic version, for $40 right now (state extra). You can always upgrade to Deluxe or whatever if you need the extra Q&A to get the forms filled out correctly.
I would choose the download option.
CodeMaster

Post by CodeMaster »

BTW you can get discount here:
https://www.fidelity.com/tax-informatio ... t/overview

I heard if you wait a bit, you can even stack discounts for TT :beer
BL

Post by BL »

I haven't used TT, but I read about H&R Block here, and went with that when Amazon had it on sale. Deluxe is now on sale for <$23 with state.

There is a learning curve, but it works just fine and is probably not much different from TT. I do investments, IRA withdrawals, pensions, farm and rental income, self-employment form, depreciation, + more on this Deluxe.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Tideout wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:00 pm Is TurboTax better than the other cheap/free options? Superior customer service? Also, do you think it is safe to give up your passwords to import the numbers?
I've been using Turbo Tax (always get the CD version mailed to my door) for many years and have been satisfied with them. Since it generally takes me less than a minute to type in any information needed per place, I never give up passwords for automatic imports. I have never felt it worth the risk to have them at yet another site that could be hacked. Generally I can do my taxes is well less than an hour using TT.
monty

Post by monty »

I've been using H&R the past few years and now it's on sale at Walmart for $19.99(Deluxe- Federal and State)
thesloog

Post by thesloog »

When using Turbo Tax Deluxe, can you electronically file your state return?
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

thesloog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:56 pm When using Turbo Tax Deluxe, can you electronically file your state return?
For an additional fee.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

thesloog wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:56 pm When using Turbo Tax Deluxe, can you electronically file your state return?
You certainly can.

E filing your state return charge is zero for the online version only.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

op you can use the free excel1040 to see difference between turbo tax.

https://sites.google.com/site/excel1040/home/download
mav12

Post by mav12 »

retire2022 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 pm op you can use the free excel1040 to see difference between turbo tax.

That is a neat excel. Does anyone have experience with it vs other tax software?
OAG

Post by OAG »

Yes, 4 years experience with FreeTaxUSA and Free Ohio Tax On line. FreeTaxUSA is Free for Federal Returns and, you may find your state has a free online state return.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

mav12 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:57 pm
retire2022 wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:17 pm op you can use the free excel1040 to see difference between turbo tax.

That is a neat excel. Does anyone have experience with it vs other tax software?
I like HR Block because it's less than half the price, and does not play the same games that TT plays regarding editions/forms. One year TT Deluxe suddenly did not do schedule D, for those who remember, and that's when I left TT for HRB.

The online sites are good, and if your income is low, you can file with the popular sites for free if you follow the link from the IRS Free File page. The one thing about online vs download versions, is that the online versions are not as easy to compare/contrast/model/mock-up variables if you want to see how changes may affect your return, and see the actual forms with data before you file (i.e. I prefer the Download software).
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

nalor511 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:14 pm
mav12 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:57 pm

I like HR Block because it's less than half the price, and does not play the same games that TT plays regarding editions/forms. One year TT Deluxe suddenly did not do schedule D, for those who remember, and that's when I left TT for HRB.

The online sites are good, and if your income is low, you can file with the popular sites for free if you follow the link from the IRS Free File page. The one thing about online vs download versions, is that the online versions are not as easy to compare/contrast/model/mock-up variables if you want to see how changes may affect your return, and see the actual forms with data before you file (i.e. I prefer the Download software).
the excel1040 is free, I use it to estimate what my accountant will do, there is no cost, free is my favorite word.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

dratkinson wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:02 am Suggest this search: http://www.google.com/search?q=OLT+free ... %3Airs.gov

I've used OLT (OnLine Tax) for past several years and like it. It's free if you are below the free file limit, <$20 if over---me last year. Does what you want, better price than TT, and no funny bait and switch.

Does not import tax data. Minimum hand holding, so a learning curve. No problems noted.
OLT is one of the options listed on my state's (OR) tax dept website that identifies free options for filing state taxes. OLT is also free for federal taxes within certain income limits but does not limit based on age, as the others do. I used it for several years when my income was low enough to qualify. That is, before RMDs started. With no RMD this year, I expect to use it again.

Had questions about how to enter some info and got the issues resolved through email support.
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

Question - does anybody have experience with Credit Karma for tax preparation? It is free and comprehensive. The only downside I've heard a rumor on is that it doesn't import 1099s/capital gains from brokerages. Any feedback?

What I use...and am very happy with...
  • Turbotax online (i like the .tax backup file export and ability to use across different computers)
  • TT "It's Deductible" for all charitable/DAF tracking and direct TT import.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

For "standard deduction/wages/dividends/cap gains" anything will do, including pencil and a sheet of paper.
bling

Post by bling »

OAG wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:29 pm Yes, 4 years experience with FreeTaxUSA and Free Ohio Tax On line. FreeTaxUSA is Free for Federal Returns and, you may find your state has a free online state return.
also used it for the past 2 years, under their different brand name taxhawk. it's otherwise the exact same product. very happy with it. every form is available, so even the most complex stuff, you can do.
mav12

Post by mav12 »

Does anyone know if Freetaxusa offers free Oregon State tax return?

Did anyone submit a paper State return instead of e-filing to save $20 additional?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

mav12 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:09 am Does anyone know if Freetaxusa offers free Oregon State tax return?

Did anyone submit a paper State return instead of e-filing to save $20 additional?
Maybe: https://google.com/search?q=freetaxusa+ ... tax+return

And also maybe: https://google.com/search?q=OLT+Oregon+state+tax+return
I paid OLT ~$16 total (over freefile limit) to do 2019 fed+state.

But you need to search each to ensure they support all of the forms you need.

Recall a past topic in which the question was asked if s/w tax package supported the form for incentive stock options. Being curious, I looked and OLT did not, but TT did.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
GFD45

Post by GFD45 »

Just saw that Newegg is offering Quicken Premier w/discount code for around $43 for 12 months. This is a decent price. I didn't see anything from Amazon as they typically offer a 14 month with a competitive price.