Which Tax Software

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
stungerz

Which Tax Software

Post by stungerz » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:57 am

Hi All,

I previously paid an accountant to do my taxes and I just recently went through my 2018 taxes and understand almost everything. This year I'm leaning heavily towards doing my own taxes.

Which Tax Software and versions do you recommend and why?

Below are what my 2018 taxes look like
  • Live in Washington state
    W2 employee
    Landlord in 2018 and moved into the rental in October 2018. Lived in the property in all of 2019
    Dividend income
    Interest from bank account
    No Sales of Stock (this will probably happen in the future)
    Megabackdoor Roth
    K1 in multiple states but company pays the taxes so I don't need to file state returns
    Probably won't itemize
    Will need to fill out qualified business expense
    No dependent in 2019, there will be a dependent in 2020
Thanks

Honu

Re: Which Tax Software

Post by Honu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:42 am

Look at TaxAct. I have been using it. If nothing else compare it to what your accountant shows. My last Accountant admitted it was what their firm used to prepare taxes.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 am

Years ago I used an accountant and felt he was just doing the paperwork for me and I had to pay him a decent sum. I've been using Turbotax Premier for a number of years and am satisfied.

-much less expensive than accountant
-very thorough depending on your needs
-easy to navigate via question/answer process

There are less expensive methods.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:34 am

TurboTax Deluxe with State CD/Download. No higher version needed.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:55 am

freetaxusa.com

They are more of a "get to the point" type and much cheaper than the big players out there (HR Block, TurboTax)

GlennK

Post by GlennK » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:39 pm

CreditKarma tax. I used to use TaxAct but their price jumped from free to $30 or so. I am sure CreditKarma will do that same once they get a large following.

Biggest concern is that is in online only.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:58 pm

I have used TaxAct, TurboTax, and H&R Block in the past.

This year, I'm going to try https://www.myfreetaxes.com/
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

powermega

Post by powermega » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:13 pm

I've used TurboTax for years.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Derby

Post by Derby » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Another upvote for freetaxusa.com. I've been using it for 3 years now with moderate complexity returns (self-employment, rental props, stock sales, multiple K-1s) without any problems. Fed is free, state returns are $6 or 7.
Carpe Diem.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:53 pm

I have used most of the major tax software programs. I finally decided to stick with TurboTax Deluxe download. Sometimes one of the others is cheaper. But after spending 20 hours on an issue with H and R Block, I decided to stick with TurboTax. Saving $10 is not worth the risk of finding an issue the software can not handle hours into the process or losing the detailed worksheets.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 pm

Psyayeayeduck wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:55 am
freetaxusa.com

They are more of a "get to the point" type and much cheaper than the big players out there (HR Block, TurboTax)
This. Have been using FreeTaxUSA for a couple of years now and works great. Completely free federal efile as well. Highly recommend after my experience with HRB and Taxact.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

Bubba24

Post by Bubba24 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:11 pm

I'm using Free Tax USA this year after Tax Act program prevented me as a widower from filing a single 2018 electronic return. I had used Tax Act for 2017 as married and their program retained my deceased wife's SS number without indicating it was doing so which confused the IRS computer. Cryptic error messages from IRS and Tax Act required my calling a humanoid at Tax Act to amend their coding which was invisible to the naked user! Virginia also billed me for $10 on my state tax return after having accepted the Tax Act electronic submission but I have no reason given from them and no patience for pursuing the case.

Mainlandjones

Post by Mainlandjones » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:07 pm

Free fillable forms through the IRS website. Essentially, I do the forms by hand, then use the online forms to check math and submit.

It’s free, but the value for me is that I’ve learned more about the math and the tax code... it’s helped me do some DIY tax planning. The software systems feel too blackboxey for me to get the same understanding.

My state and local have similar free online forms.