Insurance life changing event question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
workingovertime

Insurance life changing event question

Post by workingovertime » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 pm

I've researched online but can't seem to figure out if my situation will qualify as life changing events.

I have a full-time job where I receive benefits but I'm currently on a maternity leave until March. During this leave, I found another full-time employment (not allowed technically). I intend on quitting my initial job after my maternity leave is over (you could argue unethical I suppose).

My question is... when I leave my initial job and lose benefits, can I enroll at my new job for benefits as life changing events? Old job has SIGNIFICANTLY better benefits than the new place, which is why I would like to delay changing benefits as long as possible. If this is considered life changing events, what documents would each employers typically request?

NJ_Bogler

Re: Insurance life changing event question

Post by NJ_Bogler » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:15 pm

You won’t need any documents. Generally, old employer will terminate your coverage once you depart. New employer will let you enroll in their benefits program effective your start date.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm

workingovertime wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 pm
I have a full-time job where I receive benefits but I'm currently on a maternity leave until March. During this leave, I found another full-time employment (not allowed technically). I intend on quitting my initial job after my maternity leave is over (you could argue unethical I suppose).
Do you mean you started a job at employer #2 while on maternity leave from employer #1?

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 pm

Your enrollment in your new employers plan will be dependent on their rules. Many firms let you enroll right away... some make you wait 30 to 90 days before coverage effective.

I think you are confusing a life event (birth, loss of spouse) which would let you change coverage under an existing plan with your employer, with changing plans as you change employers

Mike

Topic Author
workingovertime

Post by workingovertime » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:33 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm
workingovertime wrote:
Do you mean you started a job at employer #2 while on maternity leave from employer #1?
Not technically allowed and I'm breaking some rules there, but yes.

Topic Author
workingovertime

Post by workingovertime » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:36 pm

fabdog wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:23 pm
Your enrollment in your new employers plan will be dependent on their rules. Many firms let you enroll right away... some make you wait 30 to 90 days before coverage effective.

I think you are confusing a life event (birth, loss of spouse) which would let you change coverage under an existing plan with your employer, with changing plans as you change employers

Mike
My new firm is already asking me to enroll within 45 days of starting employment (eligible right away) but my problem is that I will not enroll within 45 days. I will go past their enrollment period. I will have to contact them after 45 days allowed and basically tell them that I lost benefits elsewhere and I need to enroll with them due to qualifying event.. I hope that makes sense.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Consider enrolling in employer #2’s health insurance now and submitting all claims through the new insurer going forward even if the coverage isn’t as generous.

Topic Author
workingovertime

Post by workingovertime » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:01 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 pm
Consider enrolling in employer #2’s health insurance now and submitting all claims through the new insurer going forward even if the coverage isn’t as generous.
I thought about this... but i figured if wasn't a problem with the rules to wait, why not just wait? I just wanted to find out the answer so i can make the best financial decision.

Topic Author
workingovertime

Post by workingovertime » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:02 pm

Edit. Double post.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am

My new firm is already asking me to enroll within 45 days of starting employment (eligible right away) but my problem is that I will not enroll within 45 days. I will go past their enrollment period. I will have to contact them after 45 days allowed and basically tell them that I lost benefits elsewhere and I need to enroll with them due to qualifying event.. I hope that makes sense.
I doubt your new employer will be amused if they discover you are still employed somewhere else. If you try the "i lost benefits elsewhere" route with the new employer after their enrollment window, they'll want to see documentation. Usually that would be your spouse losing coverage, a birth (if adding a dependent, etc). In your case, you'll be submitting docs that show you left employment at another firm after you started with them.

Who knows? They may think it's hilarious. They may think it violates their employee guidelines and fire you. Or some other answer in between.

It's not clear what the financial benefit to you is to push this and risk it?

Mike

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:22 am

fabdog wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:17 am
I doubt your new employer will be amused if they discover you are still employed somewhere else. If you try the "i lost benefits elsewhere" route with the new employer after their enrollment window, they'll want to see documentation. Usually that would be your spouse losing coverage, a birth (if adding a dependent, etc). In your case, you'll be submitting docs that show you left employment at another firm after you started with them.

Who knows? They may think it's hilarious. They may think it violates their employee guidelines and fire you. Or some other answer in between.

It's not clear what the financial benefit to you is to push this and risk it?

Mike
If I was the new employer, I would not be amused and would consider terminating this employee also.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can resign from the old employer, and when their benefits run out (often month end), that's an event that allows you to get new coverage. You could also sign up for COBRA with them, and then terminate it at some point and that's also an event that allows you to get new coverage.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:23 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 pm
I agree with this.

That seems like the honorable thing to do. And it avoids possibly "uncomfortable" discussions with new employer once the 45 day initial enrollment period has passed. (After all, the "life changing" event of pregnancy has already happened on your date of employment, not more than 45 days after your date of employment.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:24 am

Many employers will ask you to sign paperwork saying that you are not bound by agreements from previous employers. If you sign these and are still employed somewhere else, that is easily something that could trigger termination.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:25 am

workingovertime wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:33 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
workingovertime wrote:
Wow. I know that at least one of my former employers would have already descended with hoards of lawyers. Litigating lawyers cost $500 an hour in my neck of the woods. You are on very thin ice.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:36 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:25 am
workingovertime wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:33 pm
HomeStretch wrote:
workingovertime wrote:
Wow. I know that at least one of my former employers would have already descended with hoards of lawyers. Litigating lawyers cost $500 an hour in my neck of the woods. You are on very thin ice.
+1 for some version of this ^^
Realizing what was indeed [already!??] happening took my breath away.

:annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:27 am

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable.

The OP intends to break the rules. This thread has run its course and is locked.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.