Can I retire at 55?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rerod

Can I retire at 55?

Post by rerod » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:51 pm

Hello folks..

My employer the U of I has offered me my current health insurance package for $288 a month if I retire at 55 next august.
I make about 65K now with retirement and insurance benefits worth over 25K, divorced with adult children, healthy no meds, no debt, low over head and always invest at least a additional 10k each year into my taxable at vanguard over my maxed roth contributions. So I could probably live on 45K a year if needed, but 60 would be so, much, better.. I own two properties 35 miles apart and had planned on moving out to "the farm" when I retire, and after I had built at least a big pole barn, or a pole barn and a new house to replace the existing mobile home.. And then either rent out or sell the town house I live in currently close to work, and invest the proceeds. I own about 1.1M of taxable 62/38 mutual funds, additional 300K of mutual funds same ratio in my tax differed through work I cant touch yet, and 40K in emergency cash in a local bank making 2.3%. I pay what I consider allot of state and federal income tax at around 7K a year, probably due to the bonds and international I own..

Is it to early to retire considering I cant touch my tax differed through the U of I and Tiaa/cref for another 7 years I believe? If I use a 4% withdraw rate on 1.1M, that's only 44K.. :confused And here I was still thinking a million would cut it.. Whats the new number, 2M?

But If I consider the 2K I could rent my town house for, that would bring income up to 68K.. Or would it be better to sell and invest the 250K, which at 4% would only increase my income up 10K to 54K, but I wouldn't have to worry about upkeep and taxes and driving back and forth..

Anyway.. I think I'm close, but probably no cigar.. :|

btenny

Re: Can I retire at 55?

Post by btenny » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:31 pm

Right now I think you do not have enough $$ to retire if you only have the $1.1M taxable to draw. But you are close if you add in the other real estate stuff and retirement $$. So we need some more information about your situation before we can really tell you about retiring now.

Are you eligible for social security or any pensions? Have you priced out selling the "farm properties"? How much $$ could you get net of fees and expenses if you sold this "farm" stuff? Do you have any idea what your condo is worth?

Is the health care $288 offer starting in August 2020 or August 2021? How many years is the offer good for? TBD years or life? Does the price go up each year? How much and what factors are used to figure what you will have to pay. What are the deductibles and co-pays with this plan? What kind of insurance is being offered? Is it a PPO or a HMO or a HDHP? You need to understand what and how this health plan works.

As a bench mark. When I early retired my Mega Corp gave me medical insurance. It was $150ish per month the first year I retired. It went up drastically over time to $1100 per month the last year before I went to Medicare. This was for 80/20 insurance (the insurance paid 80% I paid 20%) with no max cap and it included dental and vision coverage. So it could get very expensive if you had a surgery or major medical event.

Let us know the details.

Good Luck.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Is there not a pension also, with U of I being a state University? Will you get any SS?

If deferred account is 457, you can access that. May be a way to do that with 403b also. But doesn't seem to really matter, since you have much more taxable anyway.

You should probably shift stocks to taxable and bond to tax deferred.

I think that you could have enough, but maybe not for the level of spending that you appear to desire. Unless there is a pension or SS.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

gwe67

Post by gwe67 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:01 pm

In your post yesterday, you had $1.5M, now only $1.1M. What happened?
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

RevFran

Post by RevFran » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:06 pm

Do you love working? Like working? Hate working? In other words, is retiring this early truly deeply appealing, or does it just feel like something you should consider because the offer was made?

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm

gwe67 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:01 pm
1.1m he mentioned today is tax deferred, the other missing 0.4M is probably in taxable accounts.

bampf

Post by bampf » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 pm

rerod wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:51 pm
Hello folks..

My employer the U of I has offered me my current health insurance package for $288 a month if I retire at 55 next august.
I make about 65K now with retirement and insurance benefits worth over 25K, divorced with adult children, healthy no meds, no debt, low over head and always invest at least a additional 10k each year into my taxable at vanguard over my maxed roth contributions. So I could probably live on 45K a year if needed, but 60 would be so, much, better.. I own two properties 35 miles apart and had planned on moving out to "the farm" when I retire, and after I had built at least a big pole barn, or a pole barn and a new house to replace the existing mobile home.. And then either rent out or sell the town house I live in currently close to work, and invest the proceeds. I own about 1.1M of taxable 62/38 mutual funds, additional 300K of mutual funds same ratio in my tax differed through work I cant touch yet, and 40K in emergency cash in a local bank making 2.3%. I pay what I consider allot of state and federal income tax at around 7K a year, probably due to the bonds and international I own..

Is it to early to retire considering I cant touch my tax differed through the U of I and Tiaa/cref for another 7 years I believe? If I use a 4% withdraw rate on 1.1M, that's only 44K.. :confused And here I was still thinking a million would cut it.. Whats the new number, 2M?

But If I consider the 2K I could rent my town house for, that would bring income up to 68K.. Or would it be better to sell and invest the 250K, which at 4% would only increase my income up 10K to 54K, but I wouldn't have to worry about upkeep and taxes and driving back and forth..

I took your numbers (1.4MM) and punched them into firecalc. 30 years, spending at 60K Looks like you have a 89.9% chance of making it and that is if you don't add another $. The average portfolio in 30 years is ~1,7MM. if you add in the $250K you were talking about with your condo, it jumps to 100% success rate with an average of $2.8MM

Can you? sure. If you want. You have a higher chance of being dead at 65 then you do of running out of money in 30 years. (11.9% chance of death, 11.1% chance of broke).

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm
gwe67 wrote:
1.1m he mentioned today is tax deferred, the other missing 0.4M is probably in taxable accounts.
It's approximately the reverse of that, the post says: "I own about 1.1M of taxable 62/38 mutual funds, additional 300K of mutual funds same ratio in my tax differed through work"

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:49 am

jeffyscott wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
gwe67 wrote:
It's approximately the reverse of that, the post says: "I own about 1.1M of taxable 62/38 mutual funds, additional 300K of mutual funds same ratio in my tax differed through work"
Ok, glad he didn’t lose 400k in Vegas in one day.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:51 am

manatee2005 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:49 am
jeffyscott wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
gwe67 wrote:
Ok, glad he didn’t lose 400k in Vegas in one day.
The other post indicates that "U of I" is Iowa.

Based on the website for the university, there may be a DB pension: "IPERS Defined Benefit Plan". The IPERS site then mentions: "IPERS is designed to work with your Social Security benefits...". So OP may have SS benefits and/or a pension, in addition to the assets of about $1.7 million (including the rental property). If so, I would call this more than enough to be done.

Topic Author
rerod

Post by rerod » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Thanks everyone, and I'm sorry I didn't check back sooner as I thought I clicked to receive email notifications. Frankly, Ive never considered retirement or even looked in to it until I heard my boss mention 55/10 a week ago. I like working, but I can work many different jobs and after 20 years, any position starts getting old. But the grass is always greener..

Turns out after I called the benefits office, that if I leave at 55 they can offer me my health insurance at the current price of around 700.. But if I retire at 62 they drop that price by $288. Big deal.. That's all I get and what a disappointment.

I'll have to work another 5 years until I'm 59 1/2 just to be sure I have enough considering my GF wont.. And then I'll have that 1.7m, maybe 2.

I'm probably not going to work for Engie/Meridian, and let the U of I place me in a different position as they promised.
https://now.uiowa.edu/2019/12/board-reg ... ity-system

As far as holding all my bonds in tax exempt, I know that's the more tax efficient method. But I would have to sell all of my tax exempt equities to get close to the ratio I'm comfortable with.. I needed some safer money because I want to build a house out on "the farm", but there is a solid mobile home there my GF lives in. I should have used vanguards MM for the house money, but MM wasn't returning anything in 2012 so I choose VBTLX. I do wonder how much it has cost me though, and I still want the house but realize I cant afford it if I stop working now.

Thanks again!

View from the farm..

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:52 am

Nice view. I bet you love to set on the deck around sunset..

Good Luck.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:46 pm

rerod wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:06 pm
View from the farm..
This is the kind of farm life we want to retire to at 55. Hopefully we make it (12 more years).
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:48 pm

"Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa."

Great view. Love the state of Iowa with the rolling hills, Pork Tenderloin Sandwitches, and Maid Rite.

Good luck on your decision.

Ed

Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm

OP,

Let me know if this is correct:

You need $45k - $60k/year
Your total portfolio is $1.4M (1.1M + 300k) with $40k in emergency fund.
You have a potential $250k if you sell your real estate. So total portfolio of $1.65M potentially?
You will get social security I presume. Let's say you maximize it at 70yrs.

From a high level view, it looks like you could.

You would withdraw less than 4% of total portfolio to get $60k. Your taxable could last until 70 when you withdraw SS. Then your withdrawals could decrease as well.

Did I misread something?
rerod wrote:
Hello folks..

"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman

Topic Author
rerod

Post by rerod » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Unladen_Swallow wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:20 pm
Did I misread something?
No, that's pretty accurate..

One thing about selling my house in town is that I would need to build a large garage or pole barn on the farm, or sell most of my possessions. I considered retiring in my mobile home, but I'm not really looking forward to that. So I think I need to keep working until 60 to be able to afford building my new home.

Thanks!
ImageImage

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:21 am

Great dog!

eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:42 am

Awww, look at them fur babies. No matter what your financial situation, I'd say you already won the race. Between the farm and your pets, I'd say your priorities are in place for a very happy retirement. Good for you, and I hope all goes well.
"Do, or do not." Yoda

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 am

A few points.
rerod wrote:
I make about 65K now with retirement and insurance benefits worth over 25K,
Can you elaborate on the retirement and insurance benefits?
rerod wrote:
If I use a 4% withdraw rate on 1.1M, that's only 44K.
When you figure your withdrawal rate, do it on the whole portfolio, not just the taxable that you will be using first. 4% of everything, not of $1.1 million. (Withdrawal rate on that portion alone would only be relevant if you will run out of it before touching your other assets, which you won't).
rerod wrote:
Is it to early to retire considering I cant touch my tax differed through the U of I and Tiaa/cref for another 7 years I believe?
There are ways to access tax deferred accounts sooner. $10k to build a house, which sounds applicable. And look into Substantially Equal Periodic Payment (SEPP).

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 am
A few points.
rerod wrote:
I make about 65K now with retirement and insurance benefits worth over 25K,
Can you elaborate on the retirement and insurance benefits?
rerod wrote:
If I use a 4% withdraw rate on 1.1M, that's only 44K.
When you figure your withdrawal rate, do it on the whole portfolio, not just the taxable that you will be using first. 4% of everything, not of $1.1 million. (Withdrawal rate on that portion alone would only be relevant if you will run out of it before touching your other assets, which you won't).
rerod wrote:
Is it to early to retire considering I cant touch my tax differed through the U of I and Tiaa/cref for another 7 years I believe?
There are ways to access tax deferred accounts sooner. $10k to build a house, which sounds applicable. And look into Substantially Equal Periodic Payment (SEPP).
+1

You are financially independent now. You could retire if you wanted to.

I believe that you're currently financially independent. Your investments are sufficient to support your lifestyle.

You are making 65K now, but that's your gross. What are you actually spending? Look at your net income, after taxes, and subtract out the savings component (are you going to be saving for retirement AFTER you retire?). You need to make sure you add in the appropriate number for insurance ($700 now, cheaper later).

Figure out a retirement budget. You have time to plan out your exit strategy. If you retire early, use 3.5% or lower as the safe withdrawal rate, not 4%. Play with retirement calculators, such as https://www.i-orp.com/Merit/index.html

Personally, I'd keep the townhouse as a rental property, letting it generate income that isn't tied to the market.

Reference: My quick math
Current investments: $1.4 million
SWR: 3.5%
Supportable income from investments: $49,000

Income from townhouse: $2,000/mo * 12 mo = $24,000/yr
50% of townhouse income set aside for maintenance / vacancy / management: -$12,000
Supportable income from townhouse: $12,000

Total supportable income: $61,000

Margins of safety:
- Social Security should be delayed to 70, will provide a backstop in 15 years.
- Current gross income is $65K, actual expenses are probably less than stated target of $60K.
- Taxes on investment income is less than taxes on earned income. OP should run a trial tax return based on retirement assumptions, but he will probably keep more of his income than he does now (so therefore needs less.)
- Spending is flexible, and can be reduced if necessary. No debt, low fixed costs.
- Townhouse income is calculated conservatively (50%) and townhouse may be sold to replenish investments if necessary.
- Maybe pension not stated?

deikel

Post by deikel » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 am

bampf wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Can you? sure. If you want. You have a higher chance of being dead at 65 then you do of running out of money in 30 years. (11.9% chance of death, 11.1% chance of broke).
This is a cool way to look at probabilities , I assume you got the 11.9 % death chance form the actuarial tables, how did you calculate ?

To the OP, you need to think about it as one portfolio, not two. You owuld draw 4% from the combined 1.5 mil (even though you pull the money from the taxable first and only in later years from the 403b).

If you sell the condo, you should be close and since you mentioned you need 40k ofr essentials and 20k for fun, you would have room to adjust if need be.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

fourkids

Post by fourkids » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:42 am

Rerod- you work at U of I. All employees are pension eligible. How much will your pension be at age 55 or at age 60? This is important info that you left out

Topic Author
rerod

Post by rerod » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:34 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
A few points.
My retirement money capped at 5% of my wages, is tripled by the U of I so my dollar ends up to be three. Health insurance used to be covered 100% after a $10 copay, but the package keeps getting weaker. 19 years ago I had rotator cuff surgery and it was covered 100%. A year ago my dentist gave me a infection which a scalpel happy doctor thought was cancer. After all the tests and biopsy I had to pay $1000 out of pocket because of a infection. :annoyed Which could have been deadly.
wolf359 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:41 am

You are financially independent now. You could retire if you wanted to.

I believe that you're currently financially independent. Your investments are sufficient to support your lifestyle.
Thanks wolf359! That's good to hear considering my employment situation.. But the catch is when you say " your investments are sufficient to support your lifestyle", because I don't do alot now. Not having to work would give me alot of free time and my spending will go up.. Id like to do some RV traveling and I have the truck but need the camper but I'm not sure what it will cost to travel or how much I will. As mentioned my GF's retirement money is nothing like mine, so I'm not sure what that will cost me, or how long she's able to work. And I'd like to leave some money for my kids after I pass away. Id love to be able to live of the interest alone.

"What are you actually spending? "
I'm not sure, but I took home almost 50K after taxes the last 12 months.. All I know now, is that I try to be fugal and Ive been making deposits into vanguards MM ($23K since 8/13/2019) from savings and max my roth out.. But Ive also given money to my kids, GF, and her kids for cars etc..

I like the idea of renting my house close to the U of I out, but it needs a interior makeover badly. I replaced the roof, painted all the windows and installed new siding myself, but it doesn't show well inside after 20 years. But it needed a makeover when I bought it for 150k.

Pension? Is that when the investment company through work (tiaacref) offers either a payout, or a monthly retirement check at 59.5? :confused I'm a merit worker, not staff or professional.

I haven't given retirement alot of thought as it seem surreal. Where did all the years go?
fourkids wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:42 am
Rerod- you work at U of I. All employees are pension eligible. How much will your pension be at age 55 or at age 60? This is important info that you left out
I don't know, but I imagine my tiaacref representative could tell me. But the last time I met with them, I wasn't impressed at all.. He didn't even consider my taxable investments worth four times my tax deferred, and let the Ibbotson's calculator find funds with the highest expense ratio's which I sold and went with a easy 3 fund port with low ER's.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:22 pm

rerod wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:34 am
FoolMeOnce wrote:
A few points.
My retirement money capped at 5% of my wages, is tripled by the U of I so my dollar ends up to be three. Health insurance used to be covered 100% after a $10 copay, but the package keeps getting weaker. 19 years ago I had rotator cuff surgery and it was covered 100%. A year ago my dentist gave me a infection which a scalpel happy doctor thought was cancer. After all the tests and biopsy I had to pay $1000 out of pocket because of a infection. :annoyed Which could have been deadly.
I still don't know what you mean by "retirement and insurance benefits worth over 25K." That could make a big difference in whether you can support your desired retirement spending.

Topic Author
rerod

Post by rerod » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:06 pm

Because the U of I has total compensation numbers. Mine was $89K a year, yet my W2's say I make $64K. The difference is 25K. I didn't mention dental and life insurance paid vacation, sick leave and a few other perks.