Should I keep Medicare B on employer's plan?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
legio XX

Should I keep Medicare B on employer's plan?

Post by legio XX » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:14 am

Just edited the post and title for clarity.

I need to make a decision on this. I've looked at a couple of earlier threads, e.g. viewtopic.php?t=201040, and want to make sure I've got things straight before acting.

Due to increased work load I qualify for full medical benefits with my employer.
Deductible, in-network $1500 / out-of-network $ 2000; out-of-pocket max: in-network $1500 / out-of-network $3500. The docs I'm now seeing are in.
Dropping Medigap and Medicare D (-$3900) while taking on the deductible plus the plan premium (+$2400) saves me about $1500 on premiums.

I am deciding whether or not to keep Medicare B ($1728). If I'm understanding correctly, this will lower the deductible to $185 - which could help avoid the temptation to put things off because I now have a deductible staring at me. Any other reason to keep it? Is there something I haven't thought of?

I'd like to find out what others in this dual-coverage situation are doing and why.

Topic Author
legio XX

Re: Should I keep Medicare B on employer's plan?

Post by legio XX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:14 am

Just bumping this up to see if the edited post gets any response.

Yooper16

Re: Should I keep Medicare B on employer's plan?

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Be certain that the employers plan allows for not enrolling in Part B. I know of a number of instances where enrolling in Part B is required.