Using Costco CASH Cards at Automotive section

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
susa

Using Costco CASH Cards at Automotive section

Post by susa »

Anyone run into this at Costco using their CASH CARDS which work fine for non-member shopping consumables/goods at the warehouse. To make purchase as non-member a manager just has to key in a code at register since there is no membership. Works fine and I use that feature regularly.

Tried to purchase a battery (..brought in old core for a swap as required..) from the automotive side of Costco warehouse and was told by automotive section cashier that non-members can not purchase using a Costco CASH CARD as they can not register non-member. I asked if the receipt saved for 3 years not good enough ? Apparently not.

Asked inside (not the automotive section) Manager on duty about this and her response was "It is a problem because many people do not save receipts...."
Gort

Re: Using Costco CASH Cards at Automotive section

Post by Gort »

Join Costco.

Post by 123 »

Gort wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:10 pmJoin Costco.
and then cancel your membership (for refund) after the battery purchase.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Or don't buy a battery at Costco. You can get better deals elsewhere.
sport

Post by sport »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:14 pm Or don't buy a battery at Costco. You can get better deals elsewhere.
Costco batteries have very good performance specifications (cold cranking and reserve capacity). If you find a lower price elsewhere be sure you are comparing a product of comparable quality. Apples and oranges...
Topic Author
susa

Post by susa »

Yes, I am a member but the whole idea and what Costco online website states is that the Costco Gift Cards are for just this type of purchase --- no need to be a member but just use it as a Guest and good as CASH.

Bewildered!

As to batteries, their Interstate (there are only 2 manufacturers in the USA for all types of brands) brand it just fine and I am quite happy with 3 years of performance plus we maintain all our AGM and non-AGM batteries on CTEK MUS automatic systems, in fact we have quick connect couplers on all our cars which permit overnight maintenance without having to open bonnet.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Keep in mind that if they are like Sam's Club, even if you buy the battery as a member and go for a replacement as a non-member, they won't allow it.

We go through batteries about every 18 months and didn't realize this with Sam's Club. Had to join for 30 minutes to get a new battery (warranty replacement) and then cancel immediately.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

123 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:12 pm
That is a fraud:
Wardrobing or renting: Purchasing merchandise for short-term use with the intent to return the item
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_fraud
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Post by 123 »

BogleMelon wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:56 pm
That is a fraud:
Wardrobing or renting: Purchasing merchandise for short-term use with the intent to return the item
It's my understanding that if you return your membership card and just ask to cancel they will pro-rate your refund (maybe only pay for a couple of days or a week). If you are canceling because you are UNHAPPY then you get the entire membership fee refunded. So if the OP is happy with his battery and cancels he would get a pro-rated refund. Nothing wrong with that, that's how they do business.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Gort

Post by Gort »

susa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:34 pm Yes, I am a member but the whole idea and what Costco online website states is that the Costco Gift Cards are for just this type of purchase --- no need to be a member but just use it as a Guest and good as CASH.

Bewildered!

As to batteries, their Interstate (there are only 2 manufacturers in the USA for all types of brands) brand it just fine and I am quite happy with 3 years of performance plus we maintain all our AGM and non-AGM batteries on CTEK MUS automatic systems, in fact we have quick connect couplers on all our cars which permit overnight maintenance without having to open bonnet.
From your original post you made it sound like you were not a member. Regardless, when you tried to purchase a battery with the cash cards and were told that non-members couldn't, did you ever tell them that you were a member and did you finally get your battery with the cash cards?????
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

That is a fraud:
OP is not returning merchandise, just considering cancelling membership after purchase.

So far as batteries, I've been buying Advance Auto Parts batteries for some time. The store staff comes out and installs the battery that I have bought online (with a nice discount), and DW and I are on our way in no time. I don't think Costco could get us finished up that quickly. Not to mention we would pass near three or four Advance Auto Parts stores on the way to either of the two Costco stores we frequent. Plus, hanging around Costco is a good way for me to find things I never knew I needed. :D

If I get five years out of a new battery I'm happy. Powering my lift combined with only short city trips probably shortens the battery life, but five years is OK with me. Summers are brutal on batteries.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Topic Author
susa

Post by susa »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: OP is not returning merchandise, just considering cancelling membership after purchase.
I am the OP and you should not attribute such a consideration to me, especially since I make nor made no such claim or suggestion!

My only question was about using Cash Cards for everything, inclusive of the automotive section. There is no need to be a member to use Costco Cash Cards at the stores.
Broken Man 1999

susa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:40 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: OP is not returning merchandise, just considering cancelling membership after purchase.
I am the OP and you should not attribute such a consideration to me, especially since I make nor made no such claim or suggestion!

My only question was about using Cash Cards for everything, inclusive of the automotive section. There is no need to be a member to use Costco Cash Cards at the stores.
OK!

susa isn't returning merchandise, or considering cancelling membership after purchase. I was responding to another post about wardrobing being illeagal, and didn't edit correctly.

There ya go susa!

Please feel free to PM me again if this post doesn't suffice, OK?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:29 pm
OP is not returning merchandise, just considering cancelling membership after purchase.

So far as batteries, I've been buying Advance Auto Parts batteries for some time. The store staff comes out and installs the battery that I have bought online (with a nice discount), and DW and I are on our way in no time. I don't think Costco could get us finished up that quickly. Not to mention we would pass near three or four Advance Auto Parts stores on the way to either of the two Costco stores we frequent. Plus, hanging around Costco is a good way for me to find things I never knew I needed. :D

If I get five years out of a new battery I'm happy. Powering my lift combined with only short city trips probably shortens the battery life, but five years is OK with me. Summers are brutal on batteries.

Broken Man 1999
I am with Broken Man about using Advance Auto Parts for car batteries. Costco will not install a car battery, yet AA will. Last battery I bought for DD's car and I purchased @ AA. I purchased on-line, used a 20% coupon code, 8% back via my favorite cash back site, 2% back via Fidelity CC, and AA installed the battery. In all it was cheaper than any Costco purchase (which they didn't have in-stock for DD's car) and overall very easy process.
Broken Man 1999

AllMostThere wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 am

Broken Man 1999
I am with Broken Man about using Advance Auto Parts for car batteries. Costco will not install a car battery, yet AA will. Last battery I bought for DD's car and I purchased @ AA. I purchased on-line, used a 20% coupon code, 8% back via my favorite cash back site, 2% back via Fidelity CC, and AA installed the battery. In all it was cheaper than any Costco purchase (which they didn't have in-stock for DD's car) and overall very easy process.
So Costco doesn't install batteries? I did not know that. I thought they did, or maybe it is Sam's club that does.

Broken Man 1999
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

That is a fraud:
I don't think that it is fraud but it would bother my conscience to behave that way as it crosses an ethical boundry that I would be uncomfortable crossing.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

susa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:54 pm Tried to purchase a battery (..brought in old core for a swap as required..) from the automotive side of Costco warehouse and was told by automotive section cashier that non-members can not purchase using a Costco CASH CARD as they can not register non-member. I asked if the receipt saved for 3 years not good enough ? Apparently not.
susa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:34 pm Yes, I am a member
Why didn't you just tell the cashier you are a member when your supposed lack of membership became an issue?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

As a paying member of Costco, I think Costco should not allow nonmembers to shop there. It is free lunch for them and that raises the cost for all of us. There is nothing to stop a Cash Card holder to join Costco.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:56 am
AllMostThere wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 am

Broken Man 1999
So Costco doesn't install batteries? I did not know that. I thought they did, or maybe it is Sam's club that does.

Broken Man 1999
Sam's club installs batteries - Costco does not. I am a member at both and have used Sam's exclusively for tires and batteries mainly for their ease of tire and battery services. Both are about the same cost and I have found their quality virtually identical for tires. I think Sam's is better for batteries and their service is better as well for that. JMO though...
Topic Author
susa

Post by susa »

HueyLD wrote: As a paying member of Costco, I think Costco should not allow nonmembers to shop there. It is free lunch for them and that raises the cost for all of us. There is nothing to stop a Cash Card holder to join Costco.
...and pray tell, what shall I say to all associates for whom I purchased as a member several thousands worth of Costco Gift Cards ?

Terms of Costco Gift Cards stated succinctly

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:43 pm Keep in mind that if they are like Sam's Club, even if you buy the battery as a member and go for a replacement as a non-member, they won't allow it.

We go through batteries about every 18 months and didn't realize this with Sam's Club. Had to join for 30 minutes to get a new battery (warranty replacement) and then cancel immediately.
The same is true for AAA. They failed to honor the battery warranty when we let our membership lapse.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Gryphon wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:04 pm
susa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:54 pm Tried to purchase a battery (..brought in old core for a swap as required..) from the automotive side of Costco warehouse and was told by automotive section cashier that non-members can not purchase using a Costco CASH CARD as they can not register non-member. I asked if the receipt saved for 3 years not good enough ? Apparently not.
susa wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:34 pm Yes, I am a member
Why didn't you just tell the cashier you are a member when your supposed lack of membership became an issue?
Because they scan your membership card... :oops:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Maybe buying a set of jumper cables with the Costco cash cards would have been a better choice from the beginning. :sharebeer
Last edited by Gort on Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Broken Man 1999

I'm curious, does the purchase of gift cards earn rewards on the Costco credit card?

I wouldn't use them for myself, as I would rather get my rewards when I shop at Costco. But if I received rewards for buying, I might give them as gifts.

Just like when I cash my rewards check, if I'm buying something, I won't be using my rewards check. I see so many people check out with their rewards check, I feel like saying, "Dont do that! You are losing your rewards!"

Broken Man 1999
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

What cars are y'all driving that installing a battery is a hassle? There are some Chrysler products that have interesting places they've put batteries, but that's it.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:01 pm I'm curious, does the purchase of gift cards earn rewards on the Costco credit card?
I'm not sure, as I've never bought one. But I can't find anything that says they don't earn points. Here's a list of the stuff that they say won't earn points:
What doesn't qualify as a purchase?: The following types of transactions don't qualify as purchases that earn Costco Cash Rewards:
  • Use of checks that access your Card Account
  • Balance transfers
  • Cash advances
  • Travelers checks, foreign currency purchases, money orders, wire transfers and similar cash-like transactions
  • Lottery tickets, gaming chips and similar betting transactions
  • Interest and account fees
  • Unauthorized charges
  • Items returned for credit
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

That is a fraud:

Exactly, if OP decided to purchase the membership with the intention to return it and get a full refund after getting a benefit from using it for just one item, this would be a fraud according to my understanding.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Broken Man 1999

BogleMelon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm
That is a fraud:

Exactly, if OP decided to purchase the membership with the intention to return it and get a full refund after getting a benefit from using it for just one item, this would be a fraud according to my understanding.
Please read the entire thread!

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Helo80 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm What cars are y'all driving that installing a battery is a hassle? There are some Chrysler products that have interesting places they've put batteries, but that's it.
As a smallish woman, it isn’t that it’s that hard to hook up, it’s that it’s hard to lift. Last time I bought a battery, I had to take it to my mechanic because I couldn’t lift the old one out.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm
Helo80 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:51 pm What cars are y'all driving that installing a battery is a hassle? There are some Chrysler products that have interesting places they've put batteries, but that's it.
As a smallish woman, it isn’t that it’s that hard to hook up, it’s that it’s hard to lift. Last time I bought a battery, I had to take it to my mechanic because I couldn’t lift the old one out.

Ok, gotcha. That's more understandable.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:01 pm I'm curious, does the purchase of gift cards earn rewards on the Costco credit card?

I wouldn't use them for myself, as I would rather get my rewards when I shop at Costco. But if I received rewards for buying, I might give them as gifts.

Just like when I cash my rewards check, if I'm buying something, I won't be using my rewards check. I see so many people check out with their rewards check, I feel like saying, "Dont do that! You are losing your rewards!"

Broken Man 1999
My understanding is that you'd earn the 2% credit card rebate when buying the gift card, but you do not earn the 2% executive rebate. If you use the gift card for purchases, you earn the executive rebate then, if you are an executive member.

I use the rebate checks for purchases, if I cashed then what am I going to do with the cash? I'd have to spend that somewhere and lose other rebates or make a trip to the bank.

As for car batteries, I would go to Walmart, batteries plus or somewhere else that installs them.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:44 pm
BogleMelon wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:23 pm

That is a fraud:

Please read the entire thread!

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
I understand that you were speaking about purchasing the batteries itself. But I was referring to the purchasing the membership in my thread. We speak about 2 different products. Anything I missed?