Does Apple Cash identity verification use your credit report?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
22twain

Does Apple Cash identity verification use your credit report?

Post by 22twain » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:19 am

A few days ago I set up Apple Cash on my iPhone, mainly so I can receive cash back from an Apple Card. I have no need (as yet) for P2P payments, and I make Apple Pay purchases via credit cards. I added a debit card to my Apple Wallet only so I could put money into Apple Cash if it should become necessary. I left the Apple Cash balance at zero.

Yesterday, I unfroze my Transunion credit report and applied successfully for an Apple Card. I used the card once via Apple Pay, and the cash back showed up in my Apple Cash this morning.

Then I noticed the "Verify Identity" option in Apple Cash. According to Apple's support pages and other other sites, this might involve asking for name, SSN, date of birth, home address, "answers to questions regarding your personal history", and/or a scan of a photo ID (e.g. driver's license).

The "answers to questions regarding your personal history" bit makes me wonder whether I should unfreeze my credit report for this, too, and if so, which one.

I haven't found any explicit references to lifting credit freezes in connection with Apple Cash, although there are several (including on Apple's support pages IIRC) that mention Transunion in connection with Apple Card.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Topic Author
22twain

Re: Does Apple Cash identity verification use your credit report?

Post by 22twain » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm

I went ahead and verified my identity today, without unfreezing any of my credit reports. It went through without a hitch. It just asked me to verify my name and address which it already knew about, and to enter the last four digits of my SSN and my birthdate. No personal questions, no driver’s license scan.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

hachiko

Re: Does Apple Cash identity verification use your credit report?

Post by hachiko » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:55 pm

They have to tell you before they pull or attempt to pull a credit report. Most identity verification is done through public records.