Parental Leave - 4 weeks or 16 weeks - thoughts/perspective?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Aharris88

Parental Leave - 4 weeks or 16 weeks - thoughts/perspective?

Post by Aharris88 »

My wife and I just had our second child this week (yeah!!). I am fortunate that the mega corp I work for offers two types of parental leave -- 4 consecutive weeks at any point within the first 6 months of birth (labeled 'non-primary care') OR 16 consecutive weeks from the date of birth (labeled 'primary care'). As an employee I can take either leave option; you simply indicate which you want to take and the company honors that choice. Taking 16 weeks and having the opportunity to so closely bond with my wife and children for 4 months would be truly amazing!

HOWEVER, I am going back and forth on which parental leave option to take, and looking for guidance and perspective from this community.

My hesitation in taking the full 16 weeks is that (unfortunately) there is still a perception from males that if they take the 16 weeks we fear that the company may question lack of commitment, we may be passed over for promotions, receive a reduced bonus, etc. While there are policies in place to help protect from these possible actions, this perception and stigma of taking off this amount of time remains, and I would argue does have some level of truth.

I am in a really good situation at my company - strong reputation, seasoned leader, strategic mindset, etc. Yet with so many org/structural/leadership changes occurring now in my mega corp, I too worry that when I return management may say.... ' well while you were out, X person took over your primary responsibilities, we shifted Y work to another team, trying to figure out where you fit, etc.

Has anyone faced a similar decision point? Or any perspective from folks? Welcome your thoughts! Many thanks!
Dottie57

Re: Parental Leave - 4 weeks or 16 weeks - thoughts/perspective?

Post by Dottie57 »

How will anything change perceptions if men don’t start taking 16 weeks off?
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Only you know the dynamics of your corporation, but my employer offers 20 weeks to both fathers and mothers and I've heard of any issues. It's actually weird if you *don't* take all of it here.
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

Just take the time off you want. It may raise some eyebrows a bit initially but they will get over it. I am a surgeon and took 4 months off when the norm was 6 weeks. It was our first baby. I didn’t have any family in the area, so no one close by to show me the ropes and I had next to zero experience with babies. I also hadn’t worked out what I wanted to do for childcare etc: nanny vs daycare and had one afternoon to visit daycares to see which one to choose. Finally, my husband’s family didn’t have the financial means to visit so I wanted to travel over Xmas and new year to see them and squeeze in a baptism so they could meet the baby and participate in the baptism which put my leave at 16 weeks.

I remember telling my division head (father of four) when I planned to return and he literally shouted “4 months!” and then nothing after that. I considered explaining my reasoning but left it at that. I was entitled to it and frankly didn’t want anyone to try to talk me out of it. I came back January 2 and worked my butt off and that was that. That was over 11 years ago. People get over it. Soon after the surgeon moms started taking 3 months instead of 6 weeks. I’d like to think I broke the mold but not quite sure.
Horton

Post by Horton »

I took 10 weeks off for the birth of our second and third child. It worked out extremely well for me and my family, both personally and professionally, so I would recommend 16 weeks.

Even in the worst case professional scenario, I highly doubt you will be sitting in your rocking chair 50 years from now wishing you took less time.
Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt »

I say take the option that appeals to you. I think it will affect your promotions and bonuses in the short term only. IME, when allocating bonuses and promotions, the items go to the employees who have contributed within the review cycle. If you haven’t contributed it is difficult to justify a raise or promotion. But long term you will be able to make contributions in future review cycles to qualify for bonuses and promotions.
il0kin

Post by il0kin »

veindoc wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:53 pm Just take the time off you want. It may raise some eyebrows a bit initially but they will get over it. I am a surgeon and took 4 months off when the norm was 6 weeks. It was our first baby. I didn’t have any family in the area, so no one close by to show me the ropes and I had next to zero experience with babies. I also hadn’t worked out what I wanted to do for childcare etc: nanny vs daycare and had one afternoon to visit daycares to see which one to choose. Finally, my husband’s family didn’t have the financial means to visit so I wanted to travel over Xmas and new year to see them and squeeze in a baptism so they could meet the baby and participate in the baptism which put my leave at 16 weeks.

I remember telling my division head (father of four) when I planned to return and he literally shouted “4 months!” and then nothing after that. I considered explaining my reasoning but left it at that. I was entitled to it and frankly didn’t want anyone to try to talk me out of it. I came back January 2 and worked my butt off and that was that. That was over 11 years ago. People get over it. Soon after the surgeon moms started taking 3 months instead of 6 weeks. I’d like to think I broke the mold but not quite sure.
I would never in a million years want a surgeon operating on me who gave birth 6 weeks prior. That is a HARD time until the baby stabilizes on sleep! Very foggy and tired. It’s good you set a new precedent.

To OP: take the 16 and don’t apologize. I only got 2 weeks (father) and wish I had more.
ZMonet

Post by ZMonet »

I got zero paid time off but used all my vacation and some unpaid time off to take 2 months off while my wife went back to work. We staggered, she took 3 months and I took 2 months. As others have said, I wouldn't trade that time for anything. With that said, if I was "just" a backup for my spouse that might drive me to go back a little sooner. But hey, take the 16 and then if you're itching to come back after 8, go back. You'd probably get points for coming back after 8 since their expectation would have been that you weren't coming back for 16.
RevFran

Post by RevFran »

3 years from now, no one at your office will remember how much time you took off (but you will).
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

You will never get that time back with your kid. And your wife will benefit greatly from 16 weeks of help rather than 4

And if your company really gives you a hard time, find a better company.

This is a no brainer to me
Carson

Post by Carson »

Is your wife returning to work after the birth? If so, when and what are your childcare plans?

It might be nice to be home for that length of time, but maybe it would be better to take the 4 weeks later if it would help you bridge some kind of childcare gap down the line.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.
geerhardusvos

Post by geerhardusvos »

The benefit is there for a reason. If your company penalize you for taking benefits they offer, it’s not a company you want to work for. 16 weeks is a long time, but I would do it
VTSAX and chill
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

You referred to the 16-week options as "primary care." Is that supposed to be for the primary caregiver? Or, is it called probably because it starts at birth?
gallico

Post by gallico »

You will need to look at what the HR defines as "primary caregiver". That is likely going to be the mother as she nurses and will be the primary carer of the child. While you share the responsibility the parental roles, you are not the primary caregiver and likely the secondary caregiver.

Of course that also depends on your home situation (is your wife going back to work sooner as an example). But best to go your HR group.
gallico

Post by gallico »

Oops. double posted by accident.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I took 12 unpaid under FMLA after my wife took all of her leave (5 months between all the various ones). Although they say only 4 weeks if not started at birth, if you qualify for FMLA, you can take 12 and it can be at a time (within FMLA limits) of your choosing. But I think you're more worried what this leave will have on your career. You have to make your own decision, but I took the time without pay and know absolutely I made the right decision.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Every company has a different culture. This is wierd, but the company I work for thinks less of you if you take an extended leave, but has a short memory when you come back as long as you are a positive asset to the company.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Take the 16 weeks. 16 > 4.

I took every single hour of my 12 weeks of FMLA when my child was born. Took off 6 full weeks when she was born, and then spread the other 6 weeks over the next few months by working part-time.
datasciguy

Post by datasciguy »

Congrats! Take the time off to be with your family. As a father of three, I took my 4-weeks of paternity leave without hesitation. It was especially important after kids #2 and #3, as I tended to them while mom tended to baby. Was great bonding time with my children and wife. Their perception of you matters more than that of your coworkers. :happy. All the best.
Last edited by datasciguy on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

My wife and I took 8 weeks off after our child was born during the winter. Longest 8 weeks of my life. Couldn't do anything outdoors. Went to the store a lot just to get out of the house.

I still don't regret taking the time off to be with the baby.
Flagpole W

Post by Flagpole W »

Congrats on the little one

I took the 4 week option for a bunch of reasons:
- It's way more flexible, can be used at any point in the child's first 6 months and in incriments of 1 week at a time
- An infant isn't going to be incredibly active it's first couple months. There really won't be much to do. The biggest help you can be for your wife is to take the lead on sleep training when the time comes and take shifts during the night
- You can take the additional leave after your wife returns to work. I took mine when baby was 5 months old and it was awesome. Old enough to take trips around town and to parks. Much better bonding period and it delayed daycare an additional 4 weeks on the back end.

If you take the 16 weeks up front, I predict you'll be checking emails within 2 weeks.

Last piece of advice, if you need it, apply for onsite day care now - there used to be a wait list...
Topic Author
Aharris88

Post by Aharris88 »

Thank you to everyone for your perspectives. This is a very special time for our family and taking the right amount of time to be with them is so important and valuable!
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

I think my answer would differ based on the type and amount of work, For instance, if you are in a rather seasonal type of work like tax prep then if you took off from Jan thru April it would be the majority of the workload for the year, in this case I would tend to go with 4 weeks only, especially given this is your first child. If the nature of the work is steady and you are not leaving your team or coworkers in a bad situation, I would take off 16. Good luck and Congrats!
Last edited by retired recently on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rj342

Post by rj342 »

Aharris88 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:20 pm Thank you to everyone for your perspectives. This is a very special time for our family and taking the right amount of time to be with them is so important and valuable!
Do what the other commenter recommended and get the fine print on primary vs non-primary -- it may effectively be longer maternity leave vs shorter paternity leave in practice. The longer 'primary care' option may not be available to you.
rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity »

Another vote for taking 16 weeks. Since this is your 2nd child, 2 adults around to take care of 2 kids would be immensely helpful. Man-to-man defense is easier than zone :D
beehivehave

Post by beehivehave »

Aharris88 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm Yet with so many org/structural/leadership changes occurring now in my mega corp, I too worry that when I return management may say.... ' well while you were out, X person took over your primary responsibilities, we shifted Y work to another team, trying to figure out where you fit, etc.
If they did that, you should sue their butts.
Unladen_Swallow

Post by Unladen_Swallow »

Aharris88 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm
HOWEVER, I am going back and forth on which parental leave option to take, and looking for guidance and perspective from this community.

Has anyone faced a similar decision point? Or any perspective from folks? Welcome your thoughts! Many thanks!
I have not faced a similar situation, but am familiar with corp culture.

Take the 16 weeks. No question. Show confidence instead of insecurity. I'm being a bit dramatic to make a point. If the company frowns on it, maybe it is food for thought on your longevity there.

[Distracting formatting removed by Moderator Misenplace.]
"I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong." - Richard Feynman
Patrick584

Post by Patrick584 »

gallico wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:47 pm You will need to look at what the HR defines as "primary caregiver". That is likely going to be the mother as she nurses and will be the primary carer of the child. While you share the responsibility the parental roles, you are not the primary caregiver and likely the secondary caregiver.

Of course that also depends on your home situation (is your wife going back to work sooner as an example). But best to go your HR group.
Fathers are primary caregivers period. No HR could legally say otherwise. This isn’t the 1950s.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

Patrick584 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:10 pm
gallico wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:47 pm You will need to look at what the HR defines as "primary caregiver". That is likely going to be the mother as she nurses and will be the primary carer of the child. While you share the responsibility the parental roles, you are not the primary caregiver and likely the secondary caregiver.

Fathers are primary caregivers period. No HR could legally say otherwise. This isn’t the 1950s.
He and his wife cannot both be primary caregivers at the same time. He may or may not be the primary caregiver, depending on how his family handles child-reading duties. "Primary Caregiver" is a real term with real meaning.

From USLegal.com: "In Family law, primary caretaker or primary caregiver refers to the parent who has the greatest responsibility for the daily care and rearing of a child."

It would be at least unethical to claim the Primary Caregiver leave if someone is not the primary caregiver.
Topic Author
Aharris88

Post by Aharris88 »

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. Very helpful!
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

I'd do the 16 weeks in a heartbeat and not look back. As others have said, there are (company and legal) safeguards in place for how you'll be treated upon return. If you're as good an employee as you say, and if your company does any of the negative things you're afraid of, you won't have a hard time finding a job at a company that better respects its own parental leave policies. Congratulations on #2, what a great time for your family!

I had a month off with our first. It was wonderful. When we had our second (and third) I took two weeks vacation. All those nights of staying up with baby while my wife slept inbetween nursings is time I wouldn't trade for anything, even though I had to be at work at 7 the next day. It really simplified life: wife, baby, other children, food, coffee, focus on driving. Brush teeth once a week or so. (We also have a large and strong community network that significantly helped my wife and family when I went back to work so it wasn't as bad as I make it seem. :D )
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

Aharris88 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:12 pm My wife and I just had our second child this week (yeah!!). I am fortunate that the mega corp I work for offers two types of parental leave -- 4 consecutive weeks at any point within the first 6 months of birth (labeled 'non-primary care') OR 16 consecutive weeks from the date of birth (labeled 'primary care'). As an employee I can take either leave option; you simply indicate which you want to take and the company honors that choice. Taking 16 weeks and having the opportunity to so closely bond with my wife and children for 4 months would be truly amazing!

My hesitation in taking the full 16 weeks is that (unfortunately) there is still a perception from males that if they take the 16 weeks we fear that the company may question lack of commitment, we may be passed over for promotions, receive a reduced bonus, etc. While there are policies in place to help protect from these possible actions, this perception and stigma of taking off this amount of time remains, and I would argue does have some level of truth.

I am in a really good situation at my company - strong reputation, seasoned leader, strategic mindset, etc. Yet with so many org/structural/leadership changes occurring now in my mega corp, I too worry that when I return management may say.... ' well while you were out, X person took over your primary responsibilities, we shifted Y work to another team, trying to figure out where you fit, etc.

Does an employer who offers you a benefit then pulls the rug out from beneath your feet when you exercise said benefit deserve your time and hard work?

If the employer burns the bridge, what do your prospects look like for finding similar work elsewhere or independently?

I'm also working for a large fortune 500 company who has really no offering beyond the FMLA protections, and I had my first child within 3 months of being hired. So unfortunately due to my lack of tenure and the steep learning curve I signed up for (and that they took somewhat of a leap on with me), I didn't feel comfortable flexing my full privileges. I ended up taking 2 consecutive weeks after the baby was born, and then over the course of the year was fairly liberal with my work from home days, as well as using more sick days in one year than I have with any job ever, and overall I felt like I had all the time I needed with my family. The fantastic flexibility I have on a day to day basis was really the kicker that helped make it all work despite the somewhat limited days off.

That said, the somewhat non-logical part of my brain says you can never go wrong in life following your heart, and your family, and that little spark that drives you towards and based on those things. Even if you land flat on your face returning to your company after 16 weeks, I am a firm believer that your path will ultimately lead you where you belong and everything will work out for the best.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Take 16 weeks for. But also make sure the company/department does not suffer without you. Don’t make mgmt curse while you are gone.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

If 16 weeks feels too long from a career perspective, can you opt for 16 then come back early? Say at 10-12 weeks? Might be long enough to get some good bonding time with your newborn and let your wife get her feet back underneath her w/o feeling like you are damaging your career prospects
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
TheMadEph

Post by TheMadEph »

BlueCable wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:56 pm

He and his wife cannot both be primary caregivers at the same time. He may or may not be the primary caregiver, depending on how his family handles child-reading duties. "Primary Caregiver" is a real term with real meaning.

From USLegal.com: "In Family law, primary caretaker or primary caregiver refers to the parent who has the greatest responsibility for the daily care and rearing of a child."

It would be at least unethical to claim the Primary Caregiver leave if someone is not the primary caregiver.
I would not rely on Uslegal.com to make any decisions. Family law definitions are irrelevant because you are talking about HR policies and fair treatment of the employee. OP - don't worry about this distinction, it is a red herring.
(What if parents actually equally share responsibility - are there no primary caregivers in that situation?)
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Take the 16 weeks. The perception will only change when men start taking the full leave and there are no resulting consequences. If there actually end up being negative consequences, leave. Why would you want to work there in that case anyway?
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Is your wife going to go back to work during those sixteen weeks, making you the primary weekday parent? If not, I would rule out taking sixteen weeks.

I know times are changing, but when my wife had our two children I took perhaps five days off when each child was born and went in late or came home early on several days after that. Later, I took half days or full days off if one of our children was sick and had to stay home from day care or school when my wife had to be at work. I realize I was a young father during a different era, but I would never have left my work projects in limbo for four weeks, let alone sixteen weeks.

My wife took six months off with our first child. Afterward, she felt she had not spent as much time at home with our first child as she would have liked, so she took a full year off with our second child. Fortunately, her employment situation enabled her to take both periods of time off with full pay.
3funder

Post by 3funder »

Take 16 weeks.
destinationnc

Post by destinationnc »

Take it! You'll never get this time back.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

TheMadEph wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:44 pm

I would not rely on Uslegal.com to make any decisions. Family law definitions are irrelevant because you are talking about HR policies and fair treatment of the employee. OP - don't worry about this distinction, it is a red herring.
(What if parents actually equally share responsibility - are there no primary caregivers in that situation?)
Sure, that's why we've suggested the OP find out what the policy means by "primary care."

I'm surprised so many people suggest that the OP ignore this part of the policy.
Topic Author
Aharris88

Post by Aharris88 »

Update here on my original post... I took the 16 weeks and so happy that I did! I was able to support my wife, 19 month old son, and new baby. And then when the pandemic hit, I still had 5 weeks remaining on my leave through mid April. We had to take our older son out of daycare so having me at home, not working, and not required to be on zoom meetings from home was incredibly valuable.
And when I retuned to work, I had support and felt no negative ramifications from taking the 16weeks.

THANK YOU to everyone who responded back w perspectives and guidance. Really appreciate the support.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

Unladen_Swallow wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:21 pm
Take the 16 weeks. No question. Show confidence instead of insecurity. I'm being a bit dramatic to make a point. If the company frowns on it, maybe it is food for thought on your longevity there.
+1 x 1000 :D
calvin111

Post by calvin111 »

Take full 16 weeks. First, your wife will appreciate all the help. Second, you will love watching your kid coming into this world and see how they grow. Third, It is a paid sabbatical for you to do what you want to do in life (apart from your work). This will be life changing once you do it and will appreciate the idea of such breaks in life.
soxfan10

Post by soxfan10 »

This. My firm gives 6 weeks to primary and 2 weeks to non-primary. I looked at whether I could meet the definition of primary - there was no way I could at my firm. The definition was pretty much if another parent was also going to be home, then I was not primary so I took the 2 weeks.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Aharris88 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:10 pm Update here on my original post... I took the 16 weeks and so happy that I did! I was able to support my wife, 19 month old son, and new baby. And then when the pandemic hit, I still had 5 weeks remaining on my leave through mid April. We had to take our older son out of daycare so having me at home, not working, and not required to be on zoom meetings from home was incredibly valuable.
And when I retuned to work, I had support and felt no negative ramifications from taking the 16weeks.

THANK YOU to everyone who responded back w perspectives and guidance. Really appreciate the support.
Thank you so much for the update, and thrilled you took the 16 weeks.
We sometimes forget that we work only to support our life, instead of live to support our work. The old adage is nobody, on their deathbed, wishes they would have spent more time at work...
While I agree with the above poster who concluded taking the 16 weeks may impact bonuses and raises during the year the 16 weeks was taken, so what? That is surely worth it to bond with your family. And the more people of both genders who take the leave, the more normalized it gets, and the more the impact will be limited to the year in which the leave was taken, which will help improve the prospects of all working women of childbearing age. It helps remove the distinction between men and women and leads to greater equality. It also helps reduce the career impacts to those of all ages who may need to take FMLA to care for ailing relatives.

Wonderful you took the 16 weeks, and hopefully you will encourage others in similar situations to do the same.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

Invest4lt wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:09 pm I say take the option that appeals to you. I think it will affect your promotions and bonuses in the short term only. IME, when allocating bonuses and promotions, the items go to the employees who have contributed within the review cycle. If you haven’t contributed it is difficult to justify a raise or promotion. But long term you will be able to make contributions in future review cycles to qualify for bonuses and promotions.
I agree completely, although I’d advocate for the 16 weeks.

Personally, I think it’s perfectly reasonable that it would and should result in a smaller bonus. Otherwise, a bonus is really meaningless in terms of rewarding outstanding work for that period.