How do you spend $$ on yourself?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Esq123

How do you spend $$ on yourself?

Post by Esq123 »

Hi all-

I am 31 and feel I have the saving/ investing part down. However, I feel I am not spending enough on myself. How do you budget spending on yourself? Sometimes I’m afraid of having too much of a good time because I don’t want to make it a habit lol. Let me know how you budget for vacations/ good times with no regrets. Are there boglehead ways of going about this?

Thanks.

Happy holidays.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: How do you spend $$ on yourself?

Post by abuss368 »

I want something, I buy it. Thing is the older I get I don't want physical things that much anymore. We have been going more towards minimalism and getting rid of things.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

I budget $15k-$20k a year for traveling. I travel cheaply (road trips, by car, cheap hotels, local food, etc.) to maximize the time to have fun and create memories.

A few things you can do to save money for traveling:
1) I have IHG program that gives a lot of points from business travel so most of hotel cost are subsidized by points.
2) If I fly, I use Chase UR points to transfer to Southwest. Not to mention that Southwest CC gave us 120k points and a Companion Pass.
3) Travel during off-season. It's less crowded and less expensive. I don't like big crowd and expensive things during traveling busy season.
Time is the ultimate currency.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:52 pm I want something, I buy it. Thing is the older I get I don't want physical things that much anymore. We have been going more towards minimalism and getting rid of things.
Yes. Now that I can afford that kick ass stereo or sports car, I found that I don't want them anymore. It's a little sad, but seems to be how the cookie crumbles.
Last edited by goblue100 on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Confusion has its cost" - Crosby, Stills and Nash
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

goblue100 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:02 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:52 pm I want something, I buy it. Thing is the older I get I don't want physical things that much anymore. We have been going more towards minimalism and getting rid of things.
Yes. Now that I an afford that kick ass stereo or sports car, I found that I don't want them anymore. It's a little sad, but seems to be how the cookie crumbles.
HAHA, this exactly! All of the fancy things I wanted no longer appeal to me. I really don't spend any money on myself, but I am happy, so who cares!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:05 pm
Yes. Now that I an afford that kick ass stereo or sports car, I found that I don't want them anymore. It's a little sad, but seems to be how the cookie crumbles.
HAHA, this exactly! All of the fancy things I wanted no longer appeal to me. I really don't spend any money on myself, but I am happy, so who cares!
:sharebeer
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I use my Amex when possible
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

I’m 67 & retired. Big houses & material things have never been really important. At this point, I don’t have many wants for myself. It’s more enjoyable to help out our children & buy for my wife. If I was single, I’d definitely be a minimalist.
Mullins

Post by Mullins »

Esq123 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:43 pm However, I feel I am not spending enough on myself.
Feelings are not facts. I wouldn't necessarily go about how I feel, when I can track actual numbers.
Esq123 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:43 pm How do you budget spending on yourself? Sometimes I’m afraid of having too much of a good time because I don’t want to make it a habit lol. Let me know how you budget for vacations/ good times with no regrets. Are there boglehead ways of going about this?
My guess is the BH way would be to remain disciplined and not live either extreme.

I'm not a big spender but I don't deny myself much. This comes from growing up with frugal parents and then living on my own at an early age, mostly broke with small paychecks in between. Then when I started making some money it was comfortable enough to not have to break a sweat and fret if I did want to buy a little something.

Now with vacations and such bigger expenditures, I see if I have the mad money for it, that is to say, have I put away a good amount in savings, have funds available for taxes and a reasonable amount for upcoming life's necessities? Do I also have some room for the inevitable: unwanted purchases unforeseen circumstances hand us? Like that tire I recently had to replace. After the dishwasher had to be replaced.

Well, hey, if you can take care of that without pain, then you can treat yourself according to your means. You have to enjoy your life too. It's all about being realistic, responsible and maintaining balance (as in moderation, but also, I guess bank account balance too ha ha).
"The Quality of the Answer Depends on the Quality of Your Question."
clown

Post by clown »

It's all about priorities. I was recently in the market for a new car. Although I could afford any car on the planet, I felt a Chevy Malibu was fine for me. I like cars and this one has a lot of power and features. So my choice was Boglehead-ish I guess, and I can donate the money not spent on lux-car to a chairty of choice. I was amazed to learn about kids living in affluent suburbia who can't read. Check out Raising A Reader.
Schlabba

Post by Schlabba »

Esq123 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:43 pm Hi all-

I am 31 and feel I have the saving/ investing part down. However, I feel I am not spending enough on myself. How do you budget spending on yourself? Sometimes I’m afraid of having too much of a good time because I don’t want to make it a habit lol. Let me know how you budget for vacations/ good times with no regrets. Are there boglehead ways of going about this?

Thanks.

Happy holidays.
You could set a goal for yourself like "I want to save 30% of my take home pay" and squander the rest. Or maybe "I want to invest 2000$ a month" and squander the rest.

Or you could do it the other way around: If I want a million by 45, how much do I need to invest a month to reach it? And then ofcourse, you squander the rest.
BogleWogle

Post by BogleWogle »

Same age here, similar “problem” (this is a 1st world problem if there ever was one haha)

My plan for 2020 is to shift to a fixed savings target vs a save as much as I can approach. 2020 Budget is 1/3 savings, 1/3 taxes, 1/3 spending (this has been posted by a few members and I like the simplicity of it, so I’m running with it)

Worst case I’ll “over save” :happy
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I urge you to read this thread.
The Sensible Steward
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Look up the 50-20-30 budgeting rule. Lots about can be found on the web.
The idea is that you allocate NO MORE than 50% for necessities, AT LEAST 20% for savings, and then the rest is totally discretionary, which can mean right now or future (e.g., saving for a trip).

Knowing how much you have to spend on yourself can make it easier to do it. (And I speak from experience.)
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

As long as I save at least 50% of my gross, I don’t feel guilty spending the rest. That said, I still keep a detailed budget to ensure I know where every dollar is going.

I focus my “fun” spending on either travel or things I will get lots of use and value out of. Cars don’t interest me so I still drive a 2011 Honda but photography does so I’m about to order about $500 worth of lens filters.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

+3. I might spend $100 a year on random wants and I have no real desires for more. The last unnecessary thing I can remember buying was a pair of cramp-ons for $15 around March of this year. It's all about knowing that I can buy whatever I want (within reason).

My wife, on the other hand, we budget $300/month plus whatever she makes in her side gig (~$3k-$5k a year) to random spending (clothes, gifting to friends, gadgets, clothes, clothes, and more clothes) and she's tapped out halfway through every month. I'll never understand it, she just loves to shop. She is quite aware that most of the things she buys do not in any way increase her happiness, in fact many of them (clothing) are given to friends completely unused. But, as long as she continues to increase her income and we are meeting our goals, I'm cool with it.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

GerryL wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:54 pm Look up the 50-20-30 budgeting rule. Lots about can be found on the web.
The idea is that you allocate NO MORE than 50% for necessities, AT LEAST 20% for savings, and then the rest is totally discretionary, which can mean right now or future (e.g., saving for a trip).

Knowing how much you have to spend on yourself can make it easier to do it. (And I speak from experience.)
I have never heard of that. Thanks for sharing.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Perhaps you never really wanted them.
Perhaps you waited to long.
Facts are that money has no real purpose except to be spent - how you do that is the key.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Thanks.

Happy holidays.
Should "having a good time" equate to "spending money"?

Why do you have to "spend money on yourself"?

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

Quality for necessities and things that are for joy, convenience, time saving, and experiences.

Quality such as clothing and shoes, home appliances etc. We now have the resources and ability for high quality items which may be fewer things that last longer etc.....

We have the resources to save sufficiently without fear when spending for joy, conveniences and time saving services that permit more time for experiences.

Early on, did not have the savings compartment filled sufficiently and thus it was a priority. Now savings absolute number is no longer the only or so highly weighted. With time the ratio and priorities evolved.

To the OP, moderation throughout the process with regards to eventual ability to increase spending once the habit of savings is deeply ingrained.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

Thanks.

Happy holidays.
I spend $ to avoid labour (eg. house cleaning), to make entertainment less stressful (eg. first class tickets, VIP theatre seating), convenience (eg. Uber) and to be engaged on the interwebs (eg. iPad/iPhone)
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

The best financial (and relational) decision I've ever made was my wife and I have ourselves a personal allowance.

It's for all our non-"household" spending, basically anything that's only for our personal use.

I'm an inherent saver. This allowance encourages (in a sense requires me) to spend a nominal amount of money. Because of it I've bought many nice items, e.g. somewhat expensive bikes, guitars, guy-trips, etc. These are things I'm quite certain I would have never bought without the allowance; certainly not as many or as nice or as often.

It's not even that big of an allowance and my personal necessities come out of it, too. However, as many here know, it adds up after time when one is naturally Friday.

I don't need to save more. I get way, way more joy and emotional positives from spending (sometimes "wasting") a small amount on myself. It even builds up enough that I send extra money from my allowance to charitable desired that aren't part of our normal household giving
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

smitcat wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:06 pm
Perhaps you never really wanted them.
Perhaps you waited to long.
Facts are that money has no real purpose except to be spent - how you do that is the key.
Money is a tool we plan to use for freedom from work constraints, earlier than when people are "expected" to retire. The stuff comes and goes, time does not. Sure, could that day never come or something happen? Yep, but even if it hits the fan, I won't have regrets.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

There are lots of different ways to think about money and spending. When we got married, we decided to “save first”, then not worry at all about the rest. We adopted this approach because I didn’t think normal/formal budgeting would work for us. This approach has worked very well for us for 25+ years now.

So each year, we decide how much we are going to save that year, and the rest is fair game for spending.

It’s good for my mental state. With this trick, I don’t get irrationally annoyed at expenses I wouldn’t consider necessary. If we want to take an extra trip, and the money is there, we take it. Confession time, I just bought a bottle of Mountain Dew at the hotel for $4, I don’t even feel bad about it. We met our savings goals for the year and the long term plans are all on track or ahead of schedule.

But it’s also true there isn’t much material stuff either of us want anymore. But when there is, we just get it, as long as the savings goals are on track.

We’ve been doing this a long time now. And the mindset was always to buckle down now,for delayed gratification later. For us, I think that time has come and we are loosening up on things. There are a lot of threads about people who go so hard, for so long, that they can’t bring themselves to loosen up later on. I’m trying to avoid that......
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

I buy food I like and cook it.
PJW
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

Travel with wife
Concert tickets
Wine
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

I save 50% of my gross income and then spend the rest on whatever I want. My goal is to maximize the enjoyment I get out of life. This means different things to different people.
Last edited by yangtui on Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

I'm a massage and mani/pedi girl. I allow myself one indulgent day per month where I can spend 3-4 hours getting treatments with no guilt. It also helps with relaxation :)
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Gear for outdoors.
Bikes.
Gym membership.
Monthly sports massage.
Lots of money on docs to patch up the body.
Travel to amazing places.
Buy things for my mom.
House cleaner.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Lately it’s been vacations. We took a lot of vacations this year. Next year, I anticipate much of the same. I will sprinkle in concert and professional sports tickets. May pull the trigger on the Wrangler I’ve wanted for a few years.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

Thanks.

Happy holidays.
I've struggled with this all my life. And it's gotten worse now that I've been retired a year.

I had times when I made a New Year's resolution to spend more money! Now's a good time to do that.

Budgeting was the key. I set up a seperate savings bucket just for fun stuff. Concerts, sports, gadgets, photo gear, books, dining out, etc.

Every quarter, I'd check that balance, and if it was too high, I'd buy myself something.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

I like technology that improves quality of life / safety.

This means having enough of a recent computer to not be painfully slow. A decent camera. Safety features on my vehicle.

I like to be able to play a few video games. I don't maximize and of these things, but not the cheapest way of doing them either.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

Thanks.

Happy holidays.
I spend money on things that make me happy. Nothing extravagant. Small things really. Family is important. International travel is not (way too dangerous).

I also donate to the charities that I know use my money wisely.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Services, i.e. housekeeper, tradesmen, accountant.

First or business class travel.

Current technology and subscriptions to the extent they make my life easier and entertainment options as wide as possible.

Meditation programs and psychotherapy.

Basically things that improve the quality of my waking hours. I can't think of any material things I covet.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Trader Joe wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks.

Happy holidays.
I spend money on things that make me happy. Nothing extravagant. Small things really. Family is important. International travel is not (way too dangerous).

You have been going to the wrong places
Watty

Post by Watty »

Esq123 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:43 pm Let me know how you budget for vacations/ good times with no regrets. Are there boglehead ways of going about this?
For a while when I was younger I had something like 1 or 2 percent of my paycheck automatically deposited to a seperate account that was my travel fund.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I'm a sucker for guns and hunting gear. Not gadgets, but well made, long lasting gear. As my techniques change so does my gear list. It's fun but can get expensive. I revel in finding value.
anil686

Post by anil686 »

Find things you enjoy - this thread is full of these comments. Splurge those things and activities and invest in things related to them that makes those things easier - i.e. cooking utensils that help with prep or cooking, exercise add ons that enhance your workout experience, better ways to take in entertainment, etc....
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Every once in a while I buy a nice piece of jewelry. Last piece was a lovely ring being sold on consignment. I hold gold in jewelry, not in etfs. 8-)
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

after I reached my financial goal and daughter out of college with a good job I rewarded my self with a brand new 2019 911 Porsche Targa 4GTS and a brand new fishing boat.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

There are really only two things that I would like. A Day-Date and a Mercedes convertible circa early 1980s. I won't buy the second if only because I know I wouldn't take care of it. I wash cars once every couple of years whether they need it or not. The former I might buy one of these days. I've wanted one since the 1980s. No real occasion to wear it. Nobody to impress. But one of these days I'll probably buy one. Maybe from the AD in HKIA when I pass through.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:07 pm
Trader Joe wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:53 pm

Thanks.

Happy holidays.

You have been going to the wrong places
+1

There are domestic travel destinations far more sketchy than some of the overseas places we've traveled. And we've lived in some "interesting" places.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

I have a spending account in Quicken. Each month, I add my monthly allowance to it. I subtract any amount spent on myself from it. If there is not enough money in it, I don't buy what I want. The allowance is part of our budget. DW has a similar spending account. It's been working for us, and it seems fair to both of us.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I see a lot of good ideas already discussed for those with trouble spending on themselves. However, the OP recently posted that he has only $150k total in any kind of saving, $40k of student loan debt, a HCOL area, and a desire to purchase a home in the future. With these numbers, I would be severely limiting any non essential spending right now. If you are so frugal, that you are suffering from poor nutrition or hurting your career because of ragged clothing, then you need to address spending on these kind of things. But otherwise, my DH and I were sharing one hand me down car and buying a used washing machine when our net worth was only a year or two of income.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Massages are my indulgence.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

1. Figure out your goals for financial security/retirement/financial independence and make a plan that will get you there. Based on this plan, invest $x/month.

2. With what is left over: figure out what you value or love and spend it on those things without regret: physical fitness, nature, traveling, excellent food, learning, art, whatever. Corollary: understand what you don’t value or care about and avoid spending needless money on those things.

3. If there’s an excess, increase your charitable donations.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

DW and I have no needs, and we have very few wants. At least I have few. DW is out shopping with a DD today, so she might be satisfying a want or two. :D

Still, if I do suddenly want something, I buy it. I have zero issues with spending money, but there just aren't many things that pop up and say "buy me."

I get more pleasure out of buying something for someone else than buying for myself. Spending for myself seems to have been sated for years now.

My two main spending areas are books and music. A book or two a month, a couple of CDs a month, and a few cigars keeps me happy. I'm pretty low maintenance.

Life is good, and gifting others brings me more joy.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

I have a modicum of OCD, so when I want something, I usually do a lot of research about it, compare prices, look up negatives about it, & if I can fit it into my life. If I still want it after all that, I will usually go for it. I'm "frugal" by nature (I'm actually "cheap"), so I tend not to let myself spend too much in general.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
basspond

Post by basspond »

Our priority for spending our money is giving, savings, expenses, and then play/etc. It has always amazed us the more generous we are the more we have for other things.
GenawithanE

Post by GenawithanE »

The best way to spend $$ on yourself is to know what it is you already spend money on. Then set yourself a spending plan [some might call it a budget, but if you know you have enough, call it a spending plan]. You can use Quicken to categorize your spending or make your own categories. I have ones like Gena care and clothing and misc. spending, and, of course, vacation. Look at what you spend and then think about where you might spend more that would give you joy. [Sorry, Marie.....] Everyone's joy is different. Getting more frequent manicures, trying out spa treatments, shopping for clothes, traveling. Arrange your spending plan so you are using the funds you have available for spending, then see how it goes after six months or so. I realized a couple years ago we'd "failed" to spend our home improvements budget for the past two years and we got new wide-plank hardwoods in the whole first floor. Makes me happy every time i walk on them. There are lots of things you can do that don't increase your spending beyond the current period, so you aren't locked into a higher budget. And as others have noted, it changes over time. For things like charity, consider setting a floor of what you will donate to be sure you do that. Don't forget to spend on things that will help your future self - starting up hobbies, trying out different sports/exercise programs.
It's all part of the bigger picture of making sure your spending aligns with your income and your priorities.