Anyone had success demanding a fully remote position at their current employer?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Nathan Drake

Anyone had success demanding a fully remote position at their current employer?

Post by Nathan Drake »

I’m at lean FI. I enjoy my job enough and don’t want to retire, but there are some aspects that I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to endure for much longer. Namely, 45+ minute commute each way, in a city that’s okay but ideally I’d like to move out of, and in a distracting cube farm that makes it difficult to concentrate on highly technical work. I’m fairly introverted, so I would be just fine without all the water cooler and gossip talk at work.

A little background info - I’m in engineering (not software) with over 10 years of experience at my company as a lead in a fairly high ranking role within my group. My company is a little old fashioned when it comes to aspects like remote work. The industry is booming and we are desperately in need of quality employees.

I would say that my day to day work is mostly at my computer, checking the work of others, researching new projects, working on proposals, responding to emails, mentoring, with the occasional meeting (most of which aren’t very productive, and the important ones tend to have PowerPoint presentations that summarize what’s discussed). Most of this could be easily done at home.

My main dilemma is that my industry is fairly specialized, and there are only a few major hubs/cities that perform this type of work. So while I could find another job in the city I’d like to relocate to, it would be in a completely different industry which may not pay as well, be as stable, or could result in a lesser role.

My company is a large F500 megacorp and I know that other divisions occasionally allow remote work if the employee is highly valued, but I have not seen this at my division.

Has anyone had this discussion before and how did it work out? Should I just try and look for a new job instead? The problem with finding a new job even in a city I’d like to move to is that is still be dealing with commute issues. I wouldn’t mind occasionally (once a month or so) showing up at the work location for important meetings, training, or mentoring.
unclescrooge

Re: Anyone had success demanding a fully remote position at their current employer?

Post by unclescrooge »

I started just working from home 1 or 2 days a week. That then became 3 days a week. Over time, as people quit, my bosses just assumed that was the norm and eventually I just stopped going into work.

There was no direct discussion because I'm a bit of a wuss and prefer to avoid confrontation.
JoeRetire

Re: Anyone had success demanding a fully remote position at their current employer?

Post by JoeRetire »

Nathan Drake wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:42 amHas anyone had this discussion before and how did it work out? Should I just try and look for a new job instead? The problem with finding a new job even in a city I’d like to move to is that is still be dealing with commute issues. I wouldn’t mind occasionally (once a month or so) showing up at the work location for important meetings, training, or mentoring.
You need to have a discussion with your employer first, then see where it goes.

As a manager on the east coast, I once had an employee living on the west coast transfer into my department. He wanted to stay where he was, and agreed to travel east occasionally as needed. I let him work remotely full time on a trial basis for 1 month to see how things went. It went extremely well, he was very conscientious, and only needed to come east 2 or 3 times per year.

At a different company later on, the culture was such that a significant number of people worked remotely. Full-time remote was allowed with manager permission. That was only granted to workers who were very dependable.

If you are a solid, dependable worker, offer (rather than demand) to work remotely from where you are now on a trial basis. If that works out you could stay remote when you move to the new city. If not, you'll have some remote experience that you can bring to a new employer. If you are an essential employee for your company, you can make it clear that working remotely is a make or break factor for you, and that if you cannot work remotely, you'll be forced to leave the company. Don't take this path if it isn't necessary to do so.

Be aware that permission to work remotely can be revoked at any time. Some companies these days are rethinking their work from home policies and are choosing to curtail it, due to declines in productivity and collaboration.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Not likely with demanding, but putting together a plan and presenting it that focused on advantages for your employer could very well work.

Tim
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:25 am I started just working from home 1 or 2 days a week. That then became 3 days a week. Over time, as people quit, my bosses just assumed that was the norm and eventually I just stopped going into work.
I think this is a good path to take. Have the discussion about working one or two days per week at home. Don't say anything about wanting to make it full time. I suspect if it goes really well (so well that your boss agrees that you are as productive at home as in the office) it will be a lot easier to try and transition this to full-time or nearly full-time remote. Trying to go full time right out of the shoot I think may be a much harder conversation (and something your boss may struggle to convince his/her boss makes sense). A lot easier to convince others when they see that it works.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

Nathan Drake wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:42 am Has anyone had this discussion before and how did it work out?
Yes, but asking, not demanding. Our son wanted to move to a distant country for a few years. He asked his employer if he might be able to keep working for them as a part time employee or an independent contractor. They said said don't worry, we'll continue you as a full time employee with full benefits. It worked out fine. His role in the company was what I call horsepower - his bosses got the development contracts and our son made them come together as working solutions to clients' needs.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Does your company have technology infrastructure in place that allows you to seamlessly (as much as possible) be "connected" if you believe that might be a concern? My previous company became much more willing to allow remote working after they had the tools in place (primarily Skype for Business).
- People can call your office phone and you can answer it through your computer remotely
- All meeting rooms had speakerphones to support remote workers who call in, and many meeting rooms had videoconferencing capability also
- Anyone can set up a conference call for people to join, and conference calls also support video
- You can view other people's computer screen when they allow it and others can view yours when you allow it, and you can display or view content on videoconferencing screens
- People can see your current "status" - online/be right back/away/do not disturb/busy/in a meeting etc.
- you can send/receive instant messages

These things tended to satisfy objections from the old-school managers. There were a few situations where people had their remote privileges cancelled for things like unstable/too slow internet at home or inability to skillfully use the technology.
SandysDad

Post by SandysDad »

One concern management will have is if they let you do it, others will want it as well.

No way to get around this, and frankly it will depend on whether management is willing to deal with the discontent of you being viewed as “special” by your colleagues.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I read the title, then saw that the OP had a technical job and smiled as the parent of an engineer.

"Demanding"? Really, OP?

Make a business case, sure. Demand? Find a new employer.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:07 am Be aware that permission to work remotely can be revoked at any time. Some companies these days are rethinking their work from home policies and are choosing to curtail it, due to declines in productivity and collaboration.
+1

The last company I worked for was very lenient about WFH but I noticed two things:
1. WFH employees where always the first let go in a layoff
2. Getting anything collaborative done is much harder when everybody is remote.

I left when they relocated far away, but have since heard they banned WFH and went open concept office.

New employer specifically forbids WFH, and I find I like it better. (With the caveat that I moved to be within a 25min commute dist) So much easier to get things done when simple questions can get solved with a 5 min hallway chat vs. investing time to setup conference calls, etc.

You are an EMPLOYEE. It’s not your place to “demand” anything. You can ask, but be prepared to be told no, and to get a reputation of not being a team payer if it’s not a common request/arrangement.
RootSki

Post by RootSki »

I lucked into a work from home position with my F500 mega-corp. About 10 years ago, my office building was closing, and we were all getting moved to the main office in the next town (less than a mile away). The Facilities Department sent out a schedule of where everyone’s new workspace should be.

I was the only person from my Organization Structure to work in either building. The new space location for my name was blank (as they didn’t know where to stick me). I had an managers office with a door and a window that opened to the outside (very rare).

Anyway, after re-reading the memo about the building closure I realized my Director wasn’t cc’d on it. So I went in on a Sunday, packed all the stuff I needed into the back of my car (including my chair) and moved it home. On Monday I went to go see the training manager and I gave him the key to my office.

6 months later my Director got promoted, and my new director never asked where I worked. That lasted 3-4 years. Then we re-organized and I got another new Director. In a round table introduction meeting, we stated where we worked. Nobody batted an eye when I told them I’ve been working from home unofficially for years.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I requested to work remotely one day a week last summer for flexibility with our kids being home from school.

My job and company sound identical to the OP...except we are very much setup for remote working, including Skype and headsets for phone calls as office phones were removed a few years ago.

I think it depends on history of performance and relationship with the manager. If those are good, many things are possible.

In the end, a thought out plan and respectful conversation are always the way to go.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I'm a retired manager, and I used to disapprove such requests.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:02 am I'm a retired manager, and I used to disapprove such requests.
When one can't measure performance, one measures attendence instead.

What line of work were you in?
GatorFL

Post by GatorFL »

I work from home as a technical manager for a small IT group for a specialized function for a state government entity. I started the position working full time on site and over time, gradually started working 1, 2, then eventually full time off site.

I manage a team of highly technical people (10 people), and while most of them work in various offices around the complex, I do have 2 people that work out of state, which was the reason I started doing it. I have turned down other higher paying jobs for the luxury of working from home.

All of this was unofficial of course, and while my boss was fully supportive, eventually HR and the CIO found out. He didn't like having one of his "leaders" working remotely. I challenged back with facts and metrics. My team had the best track record on customer sat, project delivery, uptime, etc. Facts don't lie. The CIO still pushed back, saying he wanted me in the office. Well, the office is 60 miles one way, that just wasn't going to happen.

It came down to high noon at the OK corral. I am already FI, so I wasn't going to blink on this. I explained that if he forced me to come in, then find someone else. I didn't want to have to resort to the ultimatum, but here I was. He blinked, and they wrote me a 2 year work from home agreement.

They have since started approving more people to work remotely in an official sense. This is the only way they are going to retain people honestly. The attrition rate is pretty high, which I used in my favor to negotiate this.

I have all of the collaboration tools, Skype video, Slack, etc. and we "huddle" every morning for 15 minutes to sync up the work.

My advice is to back up your case with 2 different sets of facts. The first set of facts is all about collaboration examples and techniques like huddles to prove that you're working with your team well. Next, line up the performance metrics of yourself, your work, and your team's work.

In a world where it's all about results, the case for working from home can be argued successfully. I love it, and will be retiring at the end of my deal. I take comfort in never having to deal with office/parking/gas/commuting nonsense. It has helped me in the past 3 years get back in touch with what is important.

Gator
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Maybe ask WFH for a couple of days per week initially?
If things go well and move that up slowly.
I WFH 3 1/2 days/wk (3 days then 4 days alternately) and hope to make it full time remotely < 3 yrs.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

unclescrooge wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:35 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:02 am I'm a retired manager, and I used to disapprove such requests.

What line of work were you in?
As a director overseeing 27 employees, and also working from home 1.5 days a week (often more) myself; it's a tricky game. Maybe 1/3 of my employees have jobs that they could do out of the office, of those, I trust maybe half to actually get the work done when their manager is not physically overseeing them. At this point none are regularly allowed to work from home, and it hasn't been an issue.

When I asked my boss if I could go to 3.5 days/week in office, he said "is that all you need?", but I guarantee you he'd laugh at the request from almost anybody else. And, as much as I'd like to let go people who I don't trust to get their work done when they aren't being physically overseen, that's not how the corporate world works (at least mine). Getting rid of an unproductive or untrustworthy employee is exponentially more difficult than getting approval for and hiring a new one.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Your company sounds like mine. My company very occasionally allows remote work but youll essentially need to be critical to the current program you are on. Id also expect to lose your lead role. I would be very resentful of my lead or anyone up my chain of management got to work remote.
yohac

Post by yohac »

A colleague of mine just pulled this off. She made the decision to move out of state. She told the manager, saying she would like to work remote, but if that was unacceptable, she would simply have to leave. In other words, a nicely worded ultimatum. The manager agreed. She is the first full-timer to ever get 100% remote approved in that company.

It depends on the manager, the culture, and probably most importantly, how hard the company thinks it would be to replace you.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Employers have widely differing views and policies on working from home.

I am not interested in working from home - I live about 3 miles from work and the drive to and from work is no hassle.

My employer does have many remote employees - some locally and some thousands of miles away. As far as I know, all of the far away remote employees had been located here at the Headquarters - but some kind of family or other situation required the move - and they were allowed to keep the same job - but work from the long distance.

I would approach this cautiously - keep your ears open to what may be allowed. Since you are local - and do not plan a move - you might try to start with a day remotely every week or two - and see how it goes.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

When one can't argue based on the merits, one tosses out platitudes.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to ask why such requests were disapproved?
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I've worked remotely for 20+ years in various roles. It takes the right person and the right team and a certain level of organizational acceptance.

Managers who automatically say no to requests like these, in a knee-jerk fashion without really considering things, will tend to lose quite a few good people over their careers. Managers who automatically say yes to requests like these without fully understand how the reporting chain will view this are not doing their people any favors. The best managers tend to look for ways to say yes to reasonable requests from the right people. And if the main issue is you don't trust the people you work for to do their jobs unless they are under constant supervision, and this is not a widget-factory-manufacturing line job, then you need to find better employees now.

The only major organizations calling their people back in from remote positions are ones that are deteriorating or have failed--Yahoo, IBM, etc. The world is going remote, and while that doesn't mean every position in every company right this very minute is ready to be a WFH position, it does mean that managers and directors who rely on "being visible in the office" as a primary success factor have their days numbered.

I challenge my peer managers to be more results-oriented and less process-oriented. If we hit our performance targets, then does it matter if people were at home, at a coffee shop, on the moon? Does it matter that they didn't waste time in the office game room or take long lunches with colleagues? Does it matter where the work gets done as long as it gets done? In the vast majority of scenarios, I submit that it does not.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

From your description, I don't like your odds, so maybe you should go get another job that would be acceptable to you. Then you can offer to stay on if you reach a mutually acceptable agreement with your current employer. Otherwise, go start your new job. I think that will give you more negotiating power than a simple request for flexibility.
ram

Post by ram »

Nathan Drake wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:42 am
Has anyone had this discussion before and how did it work out? Should I just try and look for a new job instead? The problem with finding a new job even in a city I’d like to move to is that is still be dealing with commute issues. I wouldn’t mind occasionally (once a month or so) showing up at the work location for important meetings, training, or mentoring.
"if the employee is highly valued".
This is what really matters.

Yes.
2 radiologists currently in Hawaii and read Xrays etc done at night time on mainland.

1 psychiatrist who gave the employer the option of retiring to the warmer climate in the south or working remotely from the same location.

AFAIK it is working out fine.
Ram
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Are you willing to quit this job? If the answer is yes, what is there to stop you?

I telecommuted my US job from Asia for a few years. I flew into the USA a few times per year for the essential meetings at my own expense as part of the deal. The employer was only given 2 choices. They either said yes or I quit.

KlangFool
galving

Post by galving »

Make the business case. . .
Remote working generally makes it more challenging to lead a team, though clearly its done.
Video conferencing and webex meetings are necessary tools in today's environment.

Though I agree with other folks. . . 5 days a week to fully remote is a challenge.
As a leader, I'd listen to your pitch and try to find something that worked for both you and the company, especially if you are the 'go to' employee.

One issue you'll have to bridge is how you stay in touch with the 'hallway conversations'. . . depending on the company a lot of decisions, directions, political insights get decided in these interactions

Good luck!
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Demand is not the right word. Efficiency is a better word.

If I can do my job more effectively without wasting time commuting that is a win-win for employee and employer.

That's the way I would present it. Not sure if you can show how productive you are in your line of work but one option would be making yourself available in the hours you would normally be stuck in traffic staring at the car ahead of you.

The only drawback is it's hard to keep track of what is going on in the office. It's not good to be completely out of the loop of what is going on in the company. Might be a good idea to do a hybrid remote/commute to start.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I've worked from home full time for about 10 years at a F100 company and eventually became global head of my group so it's possible and can be rewarding. I did have an extremely rare skill set which helped. If your ultimate goal is to WFH full time then it seems you need to find another job. If you want the occasional work from home, you can leverage the other division's policy. Having a frank discussion about guardrails and setting expectations is always a good thing. Also mention how important it is to you for this benefit.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

DS works remotely for a bank that is over 1000 miles away. He does cyber security work which (I suppose) can be done from any location. It is my understanding that the bank has all of it's cyber security force stationed all over the country w#rking @ home.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Not me but my wife when we moved to a new state for my new job asked her boss if she could keep her job remotely.

He said yes. That was that. Now she works from home everyday from another time zone.
jsprag

Post by jsprag »

I approve maybe one out of every five remote work (RW) requests I receive. I think I've only had eight requests for permanent, full-time remote work from home.
  • Five were disapproved outright
  • One began as a temporary (medical) request for full-time RW before becoming permanent and continuing to this day.
  • One was a previously approved part-time RW that was changed to full-time for the duration of a specific project. Once complete then it's likely to return to part-time RW.
  • One did not survive the six-month trial/probationary period because it was not a good fit for combination of employee+project+client.

From my perspective, a remote work employee is almost never preferred to an on-site employee. It's certainly better for them, but for me it's a compromise that is only "good enough" or "better than losing them completely".

Most common reasons for disapproval:
  • Employee works with information or on projects that require special security handling that can't be achieved remotely.
  • Employee is in a direct client-facing role that cannot be sufficiently accomplished remotely.
  • Nature of project requires frequent, low-friction access to team members and other resources available only at office site.
  • Employee is in a supervisory role that cannot be accomplished remotely.
  • Nature of work may be candidate for RW, but employee has not consistently demonstrated quality, on-time production work in office.
Most common reasons for approval:
  • I'd rather have the employee as a remote worker than not at all (i.e., it was remote or lose them)
  • Remote work location (home) is closer to a key client than the office (and remote work agreement, RWA, had a stipulation that they would need to be available for support at the client location). This is the one circumstance where RW has produced a net improvement for me vs. on-site work.
  • As a short-term measure for medical, child care, elderly care, etc... needs. On one occasion it went so well it transitioned to a permanent RWA.
Other thoughts for your situation:
  • Understand their opposition, if any, to a RW. Know who will make this decision on your behalf, and (to extent possible) their experiences and reservations.
  • Be prepared to offer intermediate options with lower perceived risk. I had one employee that was about to be disapproved for RW at home because I felt they couldn't focus and deliver quality work in their home environment. We negotiated instead for them to work three days a week at a shared workspace site near their home and two days in the office. Company paid cost of workspace, the employee eliminated commute and gained some flexibility. We're on month seven, and seems to be working out.
  • How much is it worth to you? Are you willing to accept pay cut to avoid 1.5 hours of commuting each day?
  • Develop and pitch a plan for phased transition. Establish trial RWA period of something less than 5 days a week with pre-negotiated performance criteria and evaluation period. Establish post-probationary outcomes up front (i.e., if all performance criteria are met then we agree to execute a full-time RWA, and if they're met from 90-100% we maintain <5 days, and if they're below 90% then we end all RW)
  • Have your mic-drop criteria and fallback plan. If you're going to deliver an ultimatum, then be prepared with specifics of ultimatum, and be prepared to walk away if they don't deliver what you demand.
jsprag

Post by jsprag »

Of course, one might measure performance and attendance.

Having done so, they might find--for a particular combination of industry, workforce, and corporate culture--that they are powerfully and positively correlated.