Injured at work, should I bill my employer?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
dm200

Re: Injured at work, should I bill my employer?

Post by dm200 »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 am I am confused as to why you didn't go through your health insurance.
I would have simply gone through my health insurance and then ask my employer to pay all deductibles/etc. If you want to tell your health insurance that this happened at work they can then work it out with your employer's workman's comp insurer on who should ultimately pay - but that's between them - not you.
Based on what just about always happens to me, I suspect if the OP had gone through his insurance, the question would have been asked, "Was this an injury incurred while at work?" - then when all the details are documented, the insurance company would contact the employer.
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 am I am confused as to why you didn't go through your health insurance.
I would have simply gone through my health insurance and then ask my employer to pay all deductibles/co-pays/etc. If you want to tell your health insurance that this happened at work they can then work it out with your employer's workman's comp insurer on who should ultimately pay - but that's between them - not you.
Your health insurance is for personal health issues.

Work-related injuries or illnesses are paid out by Workers' Compensation (WC). WC is a state-level run program but they all function under the premise that work-related incidents are paid through the WC system. All employers are also obligated to provide a minimum level of WC insurance to their employees.

Personal health care insurance doesn't want to pay more than what they are legally obligated to pay. They attempt, some better than others, to not pay for work related charges(as they should). So this is a WC issue, not personal health issue. It's best to not muddy the waters from the beginning.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

tony5412 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 pm
jpelder wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm Your employer should have some kind of workman's compensation policy. Speak to HR, and document everything
You're right, I should speak to HR, just didn't want to come across as if I am trying to take advantage of the company.
have we really gotten this far down the road when people are scared that getting injured on the job is their own responsibility?

worker's comp claims happen all the time. Companies insure for these events.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

clutchied wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:58 pm
tony5412 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:12 pm
jpelder wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:05 pm Your employer should have some kind of workman's compensation policy. Speak to HR, and document everything
You're right, I should speak to HR, just didn't want to come across as if I am trying to take advantage of the company.
have we really gotten this far down the road when people are scared that getting injured on the job is their own responsibility?
worker's comp claims happen all the time. Companies insure for these events.
While I do not know all the details, this is hardly taking advantage of the company. I also suggest telling HR that this is a requirement of your health insurance, etc.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

fuddbogle wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:17 am
I would have simply gone through my health insurance and then ask my employer to pay all deductibles/co-pays/etc. If you want to tell your health insurance that this happened at work they can then work it out with your employer's workman's comp insurer on who should ultimately pay - but that's between them - not you.
Your health insurance is for personal health issues.

Work-related injuries or illnesses are paid out by Workers' Compensation (WC). WC is a state-level run program but they all function under the premise that work-related incidents are paid through the WC system. All employers are also obligated to provide a minimum level of WC insurance to their employees.

Personal health care insurance doesn't want to pay more than what they are legally obligated to pay. They attempt, some better than others, to not pay for work related charges(as they should). So this is a WC issue, not personal health issue. It's best to not muddy the waters from the beginning.
There is a grey area around what may be a personal health issue versus a work-related injury or illness. WC claims can also take time. For that reason - I would start with my personal insurance first - and then let them recover. Otherwise you end up in the situation the OP is in where he is currently on the hook for hundreds.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

OP, your original post was Thursday. Have you talked with HR yet? Let us know how this worked out. Glad you are recovering from the workplace accident.
fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:42 pm
There is a grey area around what may be a personal health issue versus a work-related injury or illness. WC claims can also take time. For that reason - I would start with my personal insurance first - and then let them recover. Otherwise, you end up in the situation the OP is in where he is currently on the hook for hundreds.
No. It's somewhat uncommon to run into a work/not-work related dispute. An 'itis" maybe but typically the initial treating doctor will make the call. If the employee or company disagree, THEN they can get the ball rolling on a dispute (will vary by state how to do this).

In this case, a laceration, he was on the job or not. If it happened at work, it's work comp(exceptions not worth mentioning). It's a very simple claim. Cut-n-dry if you will :D

If the medical notes are what they should be and the personal health insurance is paying attention, the OP's personal health insurance will never pay. They'll deny paying any of the related bills. Why go down that path? They are not on the hook for WC injuries nor is the employee (or OP).

At every company I've managed the WC process for this has happened. I simply tell the employee to give me the bill and I'll take care of it. If you get any more bills, keep bringing them to me. Sometimes ER's are very dense with billing but it will eventually get resolved.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Unfortunately, filing with your personal insurance and waiting for them could deny an employee of their rights. In Va. - again every state is different - the employee has only 30 days from the date of injury - repetitive injuries are different - to report the event. Of course, once the event is reported, then the employer has a protocol to follow and yes, its a lot of paperwork, but it comes with the territory of owning a business. This need not be complicated and does cover injuries at work even if those injuries were not incurred while doing one's duties. And as is sometimes the case, what seems logical isn't the legal course. These laws were put into place 100 years ago to protect employees from employers who won't pay for injuries and they also protect employers from catastrophic claims.

In over 30 years of work, I can only remember one incident at work which went through an employee's personal insurance. That was unfortunately a suicide attempt. I can't recall if we were evaluated to see if we contributed to it which may have made it workman's comp.