Gifts to your employees- how much?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Shallowpockets

Re: Gifts to your employees- how much?

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 am

A year end bonus is a gift too. So don't be smug about being a professional and above a gift, but take a bonus.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:38 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:25 am
A year end bonus is a gift too. So don't be smug about being a professional and above a gift, but take a bonus.
A bonus comes from the company. I think the entire premise of this thread is "personal" gifts, paid out of your pocket. If a year-end bonus is a gift, then I have given every one of my employees a Christmas gift the last 5yrs.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
A bonus is almost always written into a contract, and predicated on performance of both the individual and the company.
dictionary.com wrote:gift
noun
  • something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
  • the act of giving.
  • something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned: Those extra points he got in the game were a total gift.
  • a special ability or capacity; natural endowment; talent: the gift of saying the right thing at the right time.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:01 am

ThatGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
A bonus is almost always written into a contract, and predicated on performance of both the individual and the company.
noun
  • something given voluntarily without payment in return, as to show favor toward someone, honor an occasion, or make a gesture of assistance; present.
  • the act of giving.
  • something bestowed or acquired without any particular effort by the recipient or without its being earned: Those extra points he got in the game were a total gift.
  • a special ability or capacity; natural endowment; talent: the gift of saying the right thing at the right time.
dictionary.com wrote:bonus
noun, plural bo·nus·es.
something given or paid over and above what is due.
a sum of money granted or given to an employee, a returned soldier, etc., in addition to regular pay, usually in appreciation for work done, length of service, accumulated favors, etc.
something free, as an extra dividend, given by a corporation to a purchaser of its securities.
a premium paid for a loan, contract, etc.
something extra or additional given freely:
Every purchaser of a pound of coffee received a box of cookies as a bonus.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 am

In a large multi-specialty practice. In addition to the 9 paid days off, we're gifting FTE 200$ bonus, and our employed providers are getting $500 clinic wide and the partners at my specific group are matching that again.
We also do a very small gift exchange - hang stockings and put candies etc in them, but I put in a $50 gift. (Not a contracted bonus).
And I also asked HR to do a compensation review to make sure we aren't underpaying them.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:41 am

8foot7 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:01 am
ThatGuy wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:53 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
noun
  • the act of giving.
dictionary.com wrote:bonus
noun, plural bo·nus·es.
something given or paid over and above what is due.
a sum of money granted or given to an employee, a returned soldier, etc., in addition to regular pay, usually in appreciation for work done, length of service, accumulated favors, etc.
something free, as an extra dividend, given by a corporation to a purchaser of its securities.
a premium paid for a loan, contract, etc.
something extra or additional given freely:
Every purchaser of a pound of coffee received a box of cookies as a bonus.
And yet there are millions of (highly-paid) people for whom that dictionary.com definition is not an accurate description of their “bonus.” My own situation is just as ThatGuy describes, although my employer uses the word “bonus” in referring to my end-of-year lump-sum payment.

btenny

Post by btenny » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:08 pm

$50 cash Christmas bonus to my long time yard man. He works hard and does a good job every two weeks even if I am not around to tell him things.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
I've never gotten a bonus, either.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:33 pm

I give our garbage men gift cards to a fast food place.

They are really good about humping the large containers up to the house to save DW from wrestling with getting them up the driveway.

Another neighbor gives them Cuban sandwiches occasionally.

Sometimes when I have something worthwhile I'm getting rid of, I give them first chance on it. I rather it go to someone like them than some stranger. They have no union, so they aren't setting the world on fire with their wages.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:52 pm

an_asker wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 am
poker27 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:21 am
I have a team of 16 people, many of which earn much more than me. Everyone will be getting a $20 gift card to a local liquor store. Not as personable as I’d like, but I ran out of time this year.
Are you an NFL coach or something? :oops:

I manage a sales team for a b2b technology company, its not uncommon IMO. My top person will make 3x what I make, then several people will make 1.5-2x what I made.

HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:02 pm

Have informally managed teams for a long time but this year was first in a formal management structure. Found this thread very helpful in seeing the wide range of opinions and practices.

I ultimately went with a donation card to Kiva.com for each person on my team, the majority of whom are effectively peers even if I formally manage them. A bit like a charitable donation, but each person gets to personalize rather than my directing the donation entirely.

Always hard to say for certain, but seems to have been well-received.

(We all get expected “bonuses” from employer, so this was out of pocket.)

And DW, FWIW, gives scratchers.

Happy Holidays to all!
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato

SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:20 am

A small plate of assorted home-made cookies & a $10 Starbucks gift card.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:08 pm

I gifted my health aides very well, but my main one gifted us well, also.

DW received a Yankee Candle, I received a 70ties Muscle Car calendar, and a liter of Bacardi Gold Rum. Nice.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Small business owners.

We gave $1000 per employee so they got around $850 after taxes. Our one contract employee, we gave a straight $1000 check as she pays her own taxes. It was in a Christmas card and they opened it on their own later.

We did take them out for a moderately fancy lunch and had some really kind words to say to each of them and we toasted a glass of Prosecco and had many laughs. We let them have the rest of the day off as well - paid.

I hope they had fun. We didn't feel it they felt it was forced, but a nice gesture.

Interesting that we got thank-you texts and emails from everyone except the one 28 year old, who has yet to say thank you or even acknowledge the gift. We'll adjust his accordingly next year.