Gifts to your employees- how much?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Gronnie

Re: Gifts to your employees- how much?

Post by Gronnie »

I agree, no United Way or Secret Santa is gift enough!\

I've never had a manager give holiday gifts out of their own pocket, and if I was a manager I never would be the one doing the giving.
Jakabedy

Post by Jakabedy »

I work in government. I have an admin who supports me and one other person, but she is not my direct report. I have zero control over her salaries, raises, etc. I’ll give her a $100 gift card. Because she’s amazing, and I have no other way to reward her.

My boss does not buy us gifts. He and his wife have a gathering every Christmas Eve and he invites all staff.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

500 to 60 employees.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I buy a $20 bottle of red wine for bosses and employees, dont know what is proper or not, but dont want to let $20 keep from being viewed as a jerk either way
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Time is the most important gift, especially at this time of the year. Give 'em a half-day or full day so they can get shopping errands done, stand in line at the post office, etc.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

Starfish wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:58 pm The conflict of interest I assumed was moving money from a company to another especially if not the same owner.
Paying taxes with cash on something you might not want I would say is exactly the opposite of a benefit. More like a penalty. I would refuse in writing such a gift. Unless, of course, the grocery store is a place you would go anyway.
Like I said, can't comment on who paid for the cards. It's a large institute with an internal legal dept. so I assume it was kosher.

As for the gift cards, you could sell for 80 cents on the dollar and still make money after taxes.

Apologies for the derail I didn't realize this was unusual (first job out of college).
Mrsfrugaln

Post by Mrsfrugaln »

ThatGuy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:48 pm The only gift I want from my employer is more money.

No company party, no forced holiday cheer. I'm here for money. Pay me more and leave me alone.
This is me too! However my company feels the need to be flashy each year with their "dress to impress" employee only holiday party because they want us to feel like a 5,000 person family. They bring in some big name musical entertainment that I'm sure cost at least $500k for appearance fees alone. This year, my manager told all of us if we said we RSVP'd "yes" but can't make it last minute, to let them know so they don't waste money on our $250/person meal. :annoyed

Getting all dressed up, not being able to take DH and driving into the big city by myself on a Saturday night to watch co-workers get drunk and act stupid is not my idea of fun. Please give me the money instead!
StealthRabbit

Post by StealthRabbit »

How about a Christmas turkey or goose?

Those were the days... :D
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

No employees but $100 to my physician and a similar amount to his nurse, both as gift cards.

Tim
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

The company that I work for gives each employee a box with food in it, a ham being the central item. IF you decide to give something, I would suggest you give something that is low in price (under $50). If you give employees a high priced gift, they will expect it every year and could potentially cause moral issues if you stop doing it. Our company gives us a Christmas gift, feeds us periodically during the year, and gives employees t'shirts and other items through the year, and yet I notice that alot of people are unappreciative, as they find something to complain about when they are given something. When I was a supervisor, i gave and received nothing, which is the norm in blue collar jobs. My wife, who works in a office, employees and managers exchange gifts.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AlphaLess wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:18 pm
ThatGuy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:48 pm The only gift I want from my employer is more money.

No company party, no forced holiday cheer. I'm here for money. Pay me more and leave me alone.
Amen to good old fashioned capitalism.

The fancier the companies, the fancier the parties.

A couple of years ago I attended a company party that cost north of $10MM. Company pitched it as: paid for by the company. All I could think of was this: $10MM / N -> give me that money, where N is the number of employees. We are talking about north of $10K.
I'd would not be shocked if my company's Christmas party costed >$10M. They rent out the basketball stadium of the local U for the 4,000+ employees and their families, always have a few different acts (this year comedian Ryan Hamilton headlined), have a high-end dinner, and raffle of several dozen prizes (vacations, big screen TVs, etc). The general consensus is that people wished they were just given an extra $50, the only reason most people come is for the raffle. They also spend millions decorating the campus with lights (18 miles of lights on the trees), it basically lights up the entire valley and you can see the alternating color lights on the top of our buildings from 20+ miles away. This is also the case for other holidays, Halloween is out of control (my office is probably the busiest trick-or-treating spot in my county) and the summer party is outrageous.

I don't tend to enjoy the parties, I am not into the decorations, but this is also a company that gives each and every employee a Christmas bonus and has been listed on Forbe's top-10 mid-size companies in the U.S. to work for 4 of the last 5yrs so there isn't a whole lot to complain about.
gowri

Post by gowri »

Last year my (megacorp) manager gave all of us our favourite 3D printed fictional character and a couple of chocolates. I was so happy to receive that gift. He had casually enquired about all of our favorite characters the week before during our coffee run and printed them at his home. It meant a lot that he cared enough to do that. Needless to say one of the best managers I have had till now.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:53 am
I'd would not be shocked if my company's Christmas party costed >$10M . . . this is also a company that gives each and every employee a Christmas bonus and has been listed on Forbe's top-10 mid-size companies in the U.S. to work for 4 of the last 5yrs so there isn't a whole lot to complain about.
Sounds ripe for a hostile takeover! What's the ticker? (Don't worry, rhetorical question.)
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:05 pm

HAHAHA, completely agree.

Our department party is tonight. Have to go, but don't want to. Would prefer cash.

Absoutely!
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

I would just give them a business card with a link to bogleheads.com and a reminder to contribute up to the match. Wrapped with a bow indicating HNW, UHNW, USHNW or FUSHNW status.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
WJW

Post by WJW »

I own a small business with <10 employees and we always go for a nice dinner with our spouses and I usually give them a discretionary bonus/gift of several hundred to several thousand dollars based on the performance of the employee and the company.
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

If you work for a company, the best gift would be to initiate and communicate a policy of not giving gifts. Your employees are paid by the company, not by you, and that's the way it is supposed to be. And although you might like them, they spend time with you because they are paid to do so.

Gift giving and receiving is a chore. Reducing the number of chores they are expected to do and not get paid for is a good thing.

If you own the company and give bonuses, that's great. You are paying your employees a little extra at the end of the year. It's part of your compensation plan.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have hosted cook-outs for my crews before. We have a great place to buy incredible porterhouse steaks, and one of my crew would volunteer to grill the steaks. Somehow many of the steaks lost their tails. Steaks and adult beverages worked.

I had a great crew, and they earned me good raises, so I didn't mind at all giving them something to show my appreciation.

A few hundred bucks didn't break me, and the cook-outs were well received.

I give my health aides two weeks pay, a large tin of cookies, and some stuff from Bath and Body Works. And, during the year I give them gift cards as they are always willing to come early if we have plans in early morning. Both my current aides have been with me for years. They are happy, so I am happy.

Broken Man 1999

ETA: No one likes a Grinch!
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

When I managed individual contributors I typically made a list of $50 gadgets (Fire Stick, Roku Stick, Fire Tablet, etc) and asked them to pick one, or I simply gave them a $50 gift card. I gave my shared admin $100 gift card to a spa every year. I would also take them out for an outing on company time (typically lunch and the movies), or beers after work. I paid for the gifts, company paid for the outing.

When I managed managers I didn't do anything for them other than providing them a $50 a head budget for an outing for their team. I gave my dedicated admin about $250 in gift cards or a gift worth the same if I actually knew something she needed.

Edit : The IC's of all of the managers that reported to me would also play "dirty santa" with a $20 gift limit and have a pot luck one day, they organized this themselves.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

BlueCable wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm In 12 years and 3 companies, I've never received a gift from my boss.
Yes, giving or receiving a gift in a group within a company would make me uncomfortable, and it never happened in decades of working. However one large company gave all its employees a turkey. That was in my pre-vegetarian days, so I suppose now I'd donate it to a food bank or ask to be omitted.
kgressler

Post by kgressler »

I feel like i may have posted something similar to this here a few years ago. I own a small business with anywhere between 7-10 employees at any one time. For the most part I give them all what equates to an extra paycheck if they have worked for me for the entire year. I have a few that have been with shorter time periods and I adjust accordingly.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

Gronnie wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:57 pm I agree, no United Way or Secret Santa is gift enough!\
My small department (5 people) used to do a gift exchange and when I first started here ... after 2 years of me declining to participate, it ended.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

During my 12 years of working I've never received a gift but have been hit up for money for gifts for others. If I decide to keep working once I hit my number I will gladly say "no" to these requests and not worry about any repercussions/hurt feelings.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I managed a HQ team of about 25 people. I invited all of them to my house for a holiday party with their spouses and kids. about 1/3 are attending. I'm spending about $1000-1200 total on the party - catering, booze, incidentals.

Really low key, kids are all in the 2-12 age range, should be fun.

We also did a team Secret Santa last week - $20 or so. We invited another team that sits near us that is smaller. It was super fun, out second year doing it and I think all enjoyed it a lot.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
FrugalYankee

Post by FrugalYankee »

I give $50 cash to each of the ten supervisors who report to me. $20 gift card to other direct reports. This is not expected at my company, but I think it’s nice to give some sort of appreciation. I’ve worked for cheap bosses who give nothing and I’d rather not be in their tribe.
oilrig

Post by oilrig »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 pm During my 12 years of working I've never received a gift but have been hit up for money for gifts for others. If I decide to keep working once I hit my number I will gladly say "no" to these requests and not worry about any repercussions/hurt feelings.
LOL I used to work for a company that did this all the time and it drove me nuts! Almost every week someone would reach out to me about chipping in for a gift for someones bday, kids softball team, wedding, new baby, admin day, boss day, secret santa etc. Of course it was always a gift for someone else while I never got anything. I think its so rude for people to do this at work, everyone feels obligated to chip in, even those that can't really afford it. If you want to give a coworker a gift for a special occasion then buy it yourself, don't make coworkers feel obligated to chip in! I was going to go broke working there buying gifts for other people lol.

(Rant over)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

oilrig wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:04 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 pm During my 12 years of working I've never received a gift but have been hit up for money for gifts for others. If I decide to keep working once I hit my number I will gladly say "no" to these requests and not worry about any repercussions/hurt feelings.
LOL I used to work for a company that did this all the time and it drove me nuts! Almost every week someone would reach out to me about chipping in for a gift for someones bday, kids softball team, wedding, new baby, admin day, boss day, secret santa etc. Of course it was always a gift for someone else while I never got anything. I think its so rude for people to do this at work, everyone feels obligated to chip in, even those that can't really afford it. If you want to give a coworker a gift for a special occasion then buy it yourself, don't make coworkers feel obligated to chip in! I was going to go broke working there buying gifts for other people lol.

(Rant over)
My wife just literally walked through the door, whining about her co-workers asking her to pitch in $50 for a gift for their boss. There are 12 people on the team, so they are spending $600 on their boss :shock: ? She told them no and on the way home she bought him a large bag of pistachios (his favorite snack), she had already made him a clay figurine ornament. This comes from the person who buys everybody she has ever met (or my kids have ever met) a Christmas present. Completely wasteful consumerism; this is not what this time of year is about.
dbr

Post by dbr »

At my Megacorp gifts, bonuses, or awards to specific teams or workgroups were banned as executive management noticed things were getting out of hand. Out of hand would be things like members of a project team all getting TV sets because some milestone was met. I never heard of anyone getting gifts at Christmas.

Never in forty years of employment was I given a work related gift by my major professor, commander, employer, manager or managers, and that is the way it should be.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

When I was in college I worked part-time at a tiny (maybe 8 employees) company that sold/maintained credit union software. I started in October, when the owner's wife came to give me my paycheck in December she also gave me a $200 bonus check. I almost fell off my chair, $200 was a fortune to me at the time considering I was making $8 an hour and my rent was $350 a month. I will forever remember those kind and generous people.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
jackb1117

Post by jackb1117 »

Respectfully disagree "...that is the way it should be.".

I always get my staff a holiday gift as a token of my appreciation and I think it contributes to overall team happiness and effectiveness, which I both genuinely want to foster as well as realize that are benefits it provides to me as a manager. Throughout the year I also try to sprinkle gestures of appreciation (bagels for the team, pick up a lunch tab, or other small gifts that they might like); it is never expected and generally costs short bucks (bagels for the whole team costs ~$25) for the value it returns. As an anecdotal data point, I work in a line of business & industry that has higher than average staff turnover- I am on year 4 at this company with 0% unplanned (i.e. voluntary) attrition.
dbr wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:11 pm At my Megacorp gifts, bonuses, or awards to specific teams or workgroups were banned as executive management noticed things were getting out of hand. Out of hand would be things like members of a project team all getting TV sets because some milestone was met. I never heard of anyone getting gifts at Christmas.

Never in forty years of employment was I given a work related gift by my major professor, commander, employer, manager or managers, and that is the way it should be.
oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

jackb1117 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:21 am Respectfully disagree "...that is the way it should be.".

I always get my staff a holiday gift as a token of my appreciation and I think it contributes to overall team happiness and effectiveness, which I both genuinely want to foster as well as realize that are benefits it provides to me as a manager.
Personally, I would find it demeaning if my boss(es) gave me gifts. I'm a professional, not a servant.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

AlphaLess wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:17 pm[...]
I mean: if someone gave me a visa or amex that I can use everywhere: that is barely palatable.
But a gift card to a specific grocery store? Darn.
Agree that gift card to a grocery store owned by a board member and then taxed on it (!!!) sounds borderline illegal.

But a VISA or AMEX gift card? Why isn't that as acceptable as giving cash?

I'm one of several physicians in a group owned by our local hospital. The physicians in the group pool some money at the end of the year and give a VISA or AMEX gift card to each of the (~20) office employees. Why is this not as good as giving cash?

BTW, we give $150 per employee. We pool our money rather than have the employees compare and contrast our gifts. We've been doing it this way for over a decade.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

I never gave gifts directly to employees. We mostly even avoid exchanging gifts at home except for kids. My staff would exchange gifts amongst themselves and their immediate group manager who reported to me. Yeah it was probably a bit awkward but I didn't care. I hate having to buy gifts and am mostly indifferent to receiving them.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Starfish wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:23 pmI never understood this attitude. Reminds me of those people who eat by themselves in their cubicles.
If I spend so much time in a place I have friends there. I go to company party to drink and have fun with my friends, not for the company. You can do it outside work, and we do it, but why not for free?
I spend more waking hours Monday through Friday at work than I do with my family, not to mention my friends. If given the choice, I'd rather spend my limited time with loved ones rather than people I already have to deal with.
bungalow10 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:10 pm I managed a HQ team of about 25 people. I invited all of them to my house for a holiday party with their spouses and kids. about 1/3 are attending. I'm spending about $1000-1200 total on the party - catering, booze, incidentals.

Really low key, kids are all in the 2-12 age range, should be fun.

We also did a team Secret Santa last week - $20 or so. We invited another team that sits near us that is smaller. It was super fun, out second year doing it and I think all enjoyed it a lot.
I guarantee there is at least one curmudgeon who is pasting on a fake smile to get along, just like me. Please, leave work interactions to work hours.
oldfatguy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 am
jackb1117 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:21 am Respectfully disagree "...that is the way it should be.".

I always get my staff a holiday gift as a token of my appreciation and I think it contributes to overall team happiness and effectiveness, which I both genuinely want to foster as well as realize that are benefits it provides to me as a manager.
Personally, I would find it demeaning if my boss(es) gave me gifts. I'm a professional, not a servant.
Agreed. I buy what I want when I want it, so I have a low utility for gifts, but receiving tokens from an employer always made me think less of the employer, even though I accept with effusive thanks. The last two gift cards I received from my employer went to ThatGal and ThatKid.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

mmcmonster wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:47 am
AlphaLess wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:17 pm[...]
I mean: if someone gave me a visa or amex that I can use everywhere: that is barely palatable.
But a gift card to a specific grocery store? Darn.
Agree that gift card to a grocery store owned by a board member and then taxed on it (!!!) sounds borderline illegal.

But a VISA or AMEX gift card? Why isn't that as acceptable as giving cash?

I'm one of several physicians in a group owned by our local hospital. The physicians in the group pool some money at the end of the year and give a VISA or AMEX gift card to each of the (~20) office employees. Why is this not as good as giving cash?

BTW, we give $150 per employee. We pool our money rather than have the employees compare and contrast our gifts. We've been doing it this way for over a decade.
I did not say it is NOT acceptable. I said: barely palatable (which is acceptable).

Spending VISA or Amex gift cards is a pain:
- you need to carry an additional card in your pocket,
- you need to track the amount. When making a purchase that is borderline, you need a second card to top off.

I suppose a visa gift card is a nice gift to give (vs, say, some extra money as cash or into one's payroll account).
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I mentioned my team of four upthread. I really did wonder what to do this year about gifts. Two of them have worked for me all year and while both are pretty good, neither of them are truly ringing that excellence bell. The other two I just hired in the last couple of months and they still haven't done essentially anything. So I was thinking originally of a $100 Amazon gift card for each team member -- this would be out of my own pocket, not reimbursed by the company -- but then I'm against that because, well, the two new people haven't come anywhere close to earning that, and I already did them a favor by hiring them now and not waiting until the new year because they can take advantage of our two-week office closure for the holidays, which is paid. So why spend $200 of my own money on people who haven't proven anything to me or delivered any value, especially when I sort of bent a rule to get them 2 weeks paid holiday?

But then I think, I can't just give $100 to two team members and not the others -- that will get around and even though I have a good reason (the other 2 people are too new) I do not want to field the inquiry from HR on unequal team member treatment and cash gifts to subordinates.

So this year I settled on no one getting a gift because I couldn't do it in a way that was equal or that seemed like a good use of my family's limited resources.

This thread shows me I'm screwed either way. Some people don't like small gifts because they seem demeaning. Some people expect small gifts and would find their absence at least somewhat offputting. So I have to decide in which direction I want to be screwed, and I suppose next year that is in the direction of giving the gift, because I'd rather be known as someone who gives the wrong gift than as someone who is Scroogey-stingy and doesn't appreciate people.
jackb1117

Post by jackb1117 »

Professionals can't receive gifts? I must have missed that class in grad school.

Cheeky response aside, this thread has made me seriously second guess something I have been doing for years and through was a simple & kind gesture. I wonder if there is any correlation between age / industry / etc.

oldfatguy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:30 am

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy »

jackb1117 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:46 am Professionals can't receive gifts? I must have missed that class in grad school.
Sure, I don't mind getting gifts from friends or family (though I rarely have as an adult), but not from my bosses. They aren't my friends, and it seems too much like a holiday "tip" doled out to maids, doormen, and nannies.
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

bungalow10 wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:10 pm We also did a team Secret Santa last week - $20 or so. We invited another team that sits near us that is smaller. It was super fun, out second year doing it and I think all enjoyed it a lot.
Or not. What are people going to do who don't want to participate in this? They have to pretend they think it's okay. (Not only does $20 disappear from their pocket, and is it awkward, but they wind up with some "gift" that probably gets binned on their way home.)
jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

I managed a couple dozen people, all of whom are highly compensated. We give year end bonuses that are substantial, and that represent the company,

I usually get a small personal token that I sign, some chocolates, a construction toy, or something else whimsical out of pocket, and I purposefully set the size to be small enough that nobody feels an obligation - this is a “boss remembered I exist” toy, not recognition for great work. That came earlier in the month.

My house cleaner does much better on a per person basis, but they do not get a massive year end bonus.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Everybody's different. Corporate worker here.

As far as monetary value goes, anything from the employer less than a day's pay doesn't do much for me, though I will be gracious and polite. A week or more's pay very much gets my attention.

Anything social (going out to restaurants, potlucks, gift exchanges, any personal gifts from the management or coworkers) is a drag to the more introverted employees. I value a warm smile, handshake, and a few moments of happy holidays conversation with the boss or individual coworkers far more than the group social stuff.
langlands

Post by langlands »

vitaflo wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:30 pm I think you need to understand the psychology of your employees to know the answer to this. Some people want (need?) small tokens of appreciation. For others, that's what the paycheck is for, a gift isn't going to do anything for them.

For me, I have many on my team where their total compensation is close to $100/hr, and they are fully aware of it. For them a $30 gift card or the like would seem a little condescending. Instead on the day before holiday break I usually walk around at 2pm and tell everyone to take off early for the day and spend time with their family and not to mark it as vacation. This goes over very well for my team, because that's the kind of thing they react to (time=money).

If you're a manager you should understand your team and have a good idea of what they would want or appreciate. It is, after all, your job. And it's different for every team.
This is an excellent answer. Also, maybe I'm a little cynical but as an employee, if the person giving me the gift is also the one deciding my bonus, the whole thing seems kind of pointless. Am I supposed to feel grateful if you give me a very generous gift, but my bonus came in below expectations? I suppose it makes more sense for people with a fixed salary, in which case any gift that's given can't be appropriated from the bonus pool.
dmk395

Post by dmk395 »

Small service company, usually around 500 to foreman, 100-200 to other workers
yohac

Post by yohac »

I worked in IT in various places. Only in my last job were Christmas gifts between bosses and employees a thing, and only because the boss and most of the rest of the group were female and non-IT. If it had been up to the guys, most assuredly we would have done nothing. Hell, I can barely cope with finding gifts for DW and family.
dbr

Post by dbr »

langlands wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:45 pm
vitaflo wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:30 pm I think you need to understand the psychology of your employees to know the answer to this. Some people want (need?) small tokens of appreciation. For others, that's what the paycheck is for, a gift isn't going to do anything for them.

For me, I have many on my team where their total compensation is close to $100/hr, and they are fully aware of it. For them a $30 gift card or the like would seem a little condescending. Instead on the day before holiday break I usually walk around at 2pm and tell everyone to take off early for the day and spend time with their family and not to mark it as vacation. This goes over very well for my team, because that's the kind of thing they react to (time=money).

If you're a manager you should understand your team and have a good idea of what they would want or appreciate. It is, after all, your job. And it's different for every team.
This is an excellent answer. Also, maybe I'm a little cynical but as an employee, if the person giving me the gift is also the one deciding my bonus, the whole thing seems kind of pointless. Am I supposed to feel grateful if you give me a very generous gift, but my bonus came in below expectations? I suppose it makes more sense for people with a fixed salary, in which case any gift that's given can't be appropriated from the bonus pool.
A gift from one's boss sure as heck should not be financed from the business. That really is inappropriate and was part of the problem when my (large) employer cracked down on overly generous giving of things. A boss that gives personal gifts at an occasion is a little different, but I still think most of the time it is probably not a good idea. There can be exceptions.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I have a team of 16 people, many of which earn much more than me. Everyone will be getting a $20 gift card to a local liquor store. Not as personable as I’d like, but I ran out of time this year.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

tim1999 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:48 pm In my megacorp environment, I've never experienced a manager giving holiday gifts to employees on their own dime. One of three things usually happens where I've worked:

-Manager tells everyone they can leave early at noon on Christmas eve or NYE and not mark it as PTO.
-Manager takes the department out to lunch during the workday at an upscale restaurant on the company dime.
-The division of the company provides some kind of small year-end/holiday gift to everyone - have received hydroflasks, decent sunglasses, fleece jackets, multi-tools, etc.

I'm just happy they stopped forcing United Way down our throats and nobody tries to run any kind of cringey "gift exchange" type thing that you get guilted into participating in.
I'm happy that our Megacorp has nothing more than a mention of United Way by the CEO in a quarterly meeting via webex. I'd never give anything to that marketing company or their millionaire executives.

Our group had a "yankee swap" holiday party last Friday. From previous years, I know I'd be stuck with some bottle of alcohol that I'd just give to someone else. I don't drink and neither does my wife and 75% of the gifts are alcohol. Before the date was scheduled, I had an echocardiogram scheduled. I had far more fun at the hospital than I would have had in the holiday party.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

BlueCable wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm In 12 years and 3 companies, I've never received a gift from my boss.
I've been employed for over two decades ... Ditto!
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

poker27 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:21 am I have a team of 16 people, many of which earn much more than me. Everyone will be getting a $20 gift card to a local liquor store. Not as personable as I’d like, but I ran out of time this year.
Are you an NFL coach or something? :oops:
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

an_asker wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:09 am
poker27 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:21 am I have a team of 16 people, many of which earn much more than me. Everyone will be getting a $20 gift card to a local liquor store. Not as personable as I’d like, but I ran out of time this year.
Are you an NFL coach or something? :oops:
Not all that uncommon for individual contributors to earn more than the person "managing" them, depending on the industry. It's happened to both my wife and I at different points (we earned more than our "boss").