Gifts to your employees- how much?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
we1

Gifts to your employees- how much?

Post by we1 »

For those who manage others - what is the approx value of gifts (if any) you give to your employees during the winter holidays?
Culture is different in a lot of places I’ve been. I’m interested in a broader sample. What’s the value of gifts you give to people who report to you?
jackb1117

Re: Gifts to your employees- how much?

Post by jackb1117 »

~$30 - $35 per person. For context, manage a team of 9 in a technical function for mid-sized (~900 employees) company.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

I have 3 employees and I give them each a $30 Amazon gift card and have been doing so for the last few years.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

In 12 years and 3 companies, I've never received a gift from my boss.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

In combined 60 years, my wife and I have never given gifts to employees.

We have received 2 bottles of wine.

Vendors have given gifts that we consider inappropriate, but if they’re small in dollar value (eg, fruit, muffins, chocolates) we leave them out in a public area for employees to help themselves. If the dollar value was higher, we refused the gift.

I did once let a vendor from whom I had bought many millions buy me a cheeseburger. At a diner. I still remember it, because I valued my perfect record and threw it away for a cheeseburger. :oops:
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

The only gift I want from my employer is more money.

No company party, no forced holiday cheer. I'm here for money. Pay me more and leave me alone.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

$5-$10 max.

Usually a Starbucks gift card, mug/cocoa set, or lotion/soap set.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

ThatGuy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:48 pm The only gift I want from my employer is more money.

No company party, no forced holiday cheer. I'm here for money. Pay me more and leave me alone.
HAHAHA, completely agree.

Our department party is tonight. Have to go, but don't want to. Would prefer cash.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:05 pm
ThatGuy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:48 pm The only gift I want from my employer is more money.

Our department party is tonight. Have to go, but don't want to. Would prefer cash.
++++
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

For larger teams, I gave a gift card of $25 to each team member. At my last company with a smaller team, I (personally) paid for lunch at a nice restaurant (~$50/person). Always gave my (terrific) admin assistants a $100 gift card at the holidays and on admin assistant day. Some years I brought in mini poinsettias for everyone’s desk. Fortunate to work with great people who helped me “shine” and we always had a good time.

I made it clear I did not accept gifts from anyone reporting to me. That felt awkward.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

HomeStretch wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:14 pm I made it clear I did not accept gifts from anyone reporting to me. That felt awkward.
I know your intentions are good, but have you considered that your employees might feel awkward receiving your gift?
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:24 pm
HomeStretch wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:14 pm I made it clear I did not accept gifts from anyone reporting to me. That felt awkward.
I know your intentions are good, but have you considered that your employees might feel awkward receiving your gift?
No awkwardness on either side.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

we1 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:28 pm For those who manage others - what is the approx value of gifts (if any) you give to your employees during the winter holidays?
Culture is different in a lot of places I’ve been. I’m interested in a broader sample. What’s the value of gifts you give to people who report to you?
At least a $100 Amazon gift card along with a nice Christmas card - given in person.
J295

Post by J295 »

Assistant = something of approximately $300 value at Christmas time. That was seven years ago before I retired. I suppose today it might be $400-$500 range give or take.

My situation was probably different than many. I was one of the owners of a midsize professional firm and I am speaking about my primary assistant of 15 years. I was an exception even among the professionals, because we gave sizable bonuses as a firm. My wife and I just felt this was something appropriate to do in addition to the salary and bonus.
Last edited by J295 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

When I worked for a 3000+ employee R&D firm, for the holidays we each received a gift card for the grocery store owned by one of the board members. It was somewhere between $100-$300. We were taxed on this gift card amount so I don't know if that properly counts as a gift.

At a small startup the board would buy everyone a bottle of wine. Don't think I was taxed on this.
Immafreak

Post by Immafreak »

120-175 cash per employee, i have 7. I own the business so i feel expected to give more.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We don’t exchange or do any gifts.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

I manage 3 people and do not give gifts. I guarantee they would never expect one. When I used to work in construction, my boss would give a cash Christmas gift to all his employees. Usually $100-300 but he owned the business. To be honest, I was usually insulted by it since I knew my work over the year alone earned him tens of thousands of dollars. I was much younger then and did not appreciate his role in keeping me employed. My advice would be to be very generous or give nothing at all.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

runner3081 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:05 pm

I never understood this attitude. Reminds me of those people who eat by themselves in their cubicles.
If I spend so much time in a place I have friends there. I go to company party to drink and have fun with my friends, not for the company. You can do it outside work, and we do it, but why not for free?

ON topic, I manage 6 people and I don't give (or receive) gifts, cards etc. I really don't like giving or receiving gifts, except cards or cash, but those are not "real"gifts.
sport

Post by sport »

Years ago, I received a turkey or a grocery store gift certificate good for a turkey. In later years, I received an invitation for a nice dinner party for employees, spouses, children, and grandchildren. Other than those things, there were no gifts. I resented it when some of my fellow employees took up a collection to give a gift to the boss. I felt if there were any gifts, he should have been giving them to us.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

muddgirl wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm When I worked for a 3000+ employee R&D firm, for the holidays we each received a gift card for the grocery store owned by one of the board members. It was somewhere between $100-$300. We were taxed on this gift card amount so I don't know if that properly counts as a gift.
It sounds illegal and a conflict of interests.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I’ve never given or received a gift in this context.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

Starfish wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:26 pm
muddgirl wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm When I worked for a 3000+ employee R&D firm, for the holidays we each received a gift card for the grocery store owned by one of the board members. It was somewhere between $100-$300. We were taxed on this gift card amount so I don't know if that properly counts as a gift.
All gift cards given to employees as a "gift" are taxable fringe benefits. I don't know the source of the gift cards beyond the store name and ownder so I can't comment on that.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Are you an owner of the company or are you an employee yourself? If the later, I wouldn't give gifts and instead suggest that you ask your staff if they would be interested in a group outing during work hours.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

My bosses usually took me to lunch, and I took out my direct reports.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

There is a thread titled, how much to tip the cleaning lady.
From the replies on there and here it seems the cleaning lady does so much better than most of the employees on this thread.
And the cleaning lady probably has other homes to clean and if she gets the same treatment from her other customers, she is making out so much better.
I think that if you value your employees than a $30 gift card is Scrooge in comparison.
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

It's different if you are the owner of a company and worth millions. Gifts are effectively a year end bonus then.

But a typical run of the mill manager in a large corporation or other business that doesn't own the company? Managers can early anywhere from $70k to 6 figures. It's a wide range. Then you are giving money out of your salary. If you are making millions, then I guess a $35 gift per employee is not big deal but a lower end manager spending $300 on their employees? That seems a bit much.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:53 pm There is a thread titled, how much to tip the cleaning lady.
From the replies on there and here it seems the cleaning lady does so much better than most of the employees on this thread.
And the cleaning lady probably has other homes to clean and if she gets the same treatment from her other customers, she is making out so much better.
I think that if you value your employees than a $30 gift card is Scrooge in comparison.
I have a team of four people, three of whom make six figures. Why am I on the hook personally for enriching them for a holiday? Why is $50 not enough? The point is to make a gesture of appreciation, not to tip a cleaning person.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I am responsible for determining their bonus and possible year-end raise. I currently have a team of 27, in my ~15yrs of management I've never personally given a Christmas gift to an employee. I've also never received one, so had no idea this was really a thing. But, with the tipping threads, I should not have been surprised.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

muddgirl wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:47 pm
Starfish wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:26 pm
All gift cards given to employees as a "gift" are taxable fringe benefits. I don't know the source of the gift cards beyond the store name and ownder so I can't comment on that.
The conflict of interest I assumed was moving money from a company to another especially if not the same owner.
Paying taxes with cash on something you might not want I would say is exactly the opposite of a benefit. More like a penalty. I would refuse in writing such a gift. Unless, of course, the grocery store is a place you would go anyway.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

For my assistant (who splits duties with 3 other attorneys) $250.

Life's good.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

BlueCable wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm In 12 years and 3 companies, I've never received a gift from my boss.
In 41 working years, I've received nothing from a boss either. I've given gifts to bosses here and there.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:53 pm I think that if you value your employees than a $30 gift card is Scrooge in comparison.
They are my employer's employees, not mine. I do a lot for my team, but I don't open my wallet to them.

I would have a different attitude if I owned the business.
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

At our company of 200 employees we would give $300 to each employee plus have an off-site party. We encouraged department heads to take out their crew for a nice lunch paid for by the company as well.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

I received a significant ($1k+) personal check from a CEO.

I received a $9 bottle of wine from another CEO.

YMMV.
sonic1124

Post by sonic1124 »

I am in a sales role and give my Account Managers/Support Staff (8 total) between $100 and $500 each. I set aside $2500/year for those gifts.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Never heard of this.

I have seen a situation when someone is having a baby, and company sends them a gift.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

KyleAAA wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:44 pm I’ve never given or received a gift in this context.
Upvote times 100.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

At a small startup the board would buy everyone a bottle of wine. Don't think I was taxed on this.
Darn, that sounds terrible.

Get a gift card to a grocery stored owned by one of the board members.

I mean: if someone gave me a visa or amex that I can use everywhere: that is barely palatable.
But a gift card to a specific grocery store? Darn.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

Amen to good old fashioned capitalism.

The fancier the companies, the fancier the parties.

A couple of years ago I attended a company party that cost north of $10MM. Company pitched it as: paid for by the company. All I could think of was this: $10MM / N -> give me that money, where N is the number of employees. We are talking about north of $10K.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:53 pm There is a thread titled, how much to tip the cleaning lady.
Most managers employees don’t have to clean the thing they poop in
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:30 pm
BlueCable wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm In 12 years and 3 companies, I've never received a gift from my boss.
In 41 working years, I've received nothing from a boss either. I've given gifts to bosses here and there.
That’s crazy
Jnick55

Post by Jnick55 »

For many years, I have had assistants on whom I depend greatly. When I had an assistant whom I shared with only one other person I gave her $1,000 at year end. The assistant I have now, I share with my department of eight people who report to me and I give her about $500.
Topic Author
we1

Post by we1 »

Good feedback all. I’m thinking in the context of a megacorp where you’re a manager of 5-10 decently compensated employees. If I had my way, I prefer no gift giving and have been in departments and companies where that’s the norm. In my case there has been some precedent before me of gift giving. I’m thinking anywhere from $20-40 sounds about right.
togb

Post by togb »

My current company does not give gifts, it's just not part of the culture. We don't take staff out for lunch or dinner because we're geographically diverse- the six people who report directly to me are spread out across North America. That said, they are good peeps and work hard-- I sent them each a nice bottle of wine. I figure if they like it, great-- that's what I hope for-- and if they don't they can re-gift it.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

I think you need to understand the psychology of your employees to know the answer to this. Some people want (need?) small tokens of appreciation. For others, that's what the paycheck is for, a gift isn't going to do anything for them.

For me, I have many on my team where their total compensation is close to $100/hr, and they are fully aware of it. For them a $30 gift card or the like would seem a little condescending. Instead on the day before holiday break I usually walk around at 2pm and tell everyone to take off early for the day and spend time with their family and not to mark it as vacation. This goes over very well for my team, because that's the kind of thing they react to (time=money).

If you're a manager you should understand your team and have a good idea of what they would want or appreciate. It is, after all, your job. And it's different for every team.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

My manager gave me a $50 gift card to a place I spend money. I gave her a bottle of wine (I think $35).

This year I’ll give her treats relevant to a PTO I went on ($10) and maybe another bottle of wine around $30.

I don’t give to others on my team.
DonIce

Post by DonIce »

As an employee at a startup company, I've usually received gifts worth between $50 and $100 every holiday season (in addition to yearly bonuses that were usually given around that same time which were much more significant, and usually some extra days off around then too).
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Whatever deal I can find from Costco. Last year it was buying 4 - $15 jamba juice gift card and get one free. I bought 3 sets of those for my team of 14.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

In my megacorp environment, I've never experienced a manager giving holiday gifts to employees on their own dime. One of three things usually happens where I've worked:

-Manager tells everyone they can leave early at noon on Christmas eve or NYE and not mark it as PTO.
-Manager takes the department out to lunch during the workday at an upscale restaurant on the company dime.
-The division of the company provides some kind of small year-end/holiday gift to everyone - have received hydroflasks, decent sunglasses, fleece jackets, multi-tools, etc.

I'm just happy they stopped forcing United Way down our throats and nobody tries to run any kind of cringey "gift exchange" type thing that you get guilted into participating in.