Xfinity cost comparison?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Annabel Lee

Xfinity cost comparison?

Post by Annabel Lee » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 am

Wanted to get a sense of what other BHs are paying Xfinity for monthly internet.

Our rates which were stable at $80/mo (for 300 mbps) have jumped suddenly without notice or explanation to $102/month and I wanted to get a sense of what others are paying before I call, threaten to cancel, negotiate downward and all of the other happy BS that Comcast and their American corporate ilk force you to do to get the best rate.

Thanks in advance to the group in our collective long battle against extortionate pricing by quasi-monopolistic rent seekers.

sschoe2

Re: Xfinity cost comparison?

Post by sschoe2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:55 pm

I pay $50/month for the bare bones 25mb/s. I was paying $35 but my promo expired. I may try to haggle them back to $35.

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Where I live, I have only two internet providers: XFinity and Verizon Fios. I alternate between the two providers, once every 2 years. The 2 years period is because I would be signing a contract to stay with the provider for 2 years, in exchange for a constant price.

Verizon Fios has a 300 Mbps connection at $59.99 for two years, plus a gift card for $100 if you sign up ... check if this is an option where you live.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:43 pm

$73/mo for 60 Mbps plus telephone. There is no competition for internet where I live, which presumably accounts for the high price.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:46 pm

$64 for 25mbs. Internet only, no phone, no tv. Calling to lower the rate is useless. Only other option goes out all the time.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 pm

This is interesting but probably not helpful as internet, like any other utility, is dependent on location.

$72 for 100 Mbps speed. No relevant competition as the only other options are DSL at just 3 Mbps or satellite with a 30 GB per month limit.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:32 pm

$61 total ($40, $13 for modem, taxes) for 75 mbps. Internet only. We use Firestick and Netflix and rabbit years. Only other option is a local company with bad reviews.
Our promotion ended last year, and I did call and they reduced it $5 a month and locked in for 2 yrs. I have also heard if you can go into the Xfinity store, they can deal. Good luck.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 pm
This is interesting but probably not helpful as internet, like any other utility, is dependent on location.

$72 for 100 Mbps speed. No relevant competition as the only other options are DSL at just 3 Mbps or satellite with a 30 GB per month limit.
Right. Prices and promotions are market dependent, so general survey of prices is close to useless.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:59 pm

$20 for 25 Mbps at two different addresses. Paid this rate for 2 years, just started year 3 this summer. 300 Mbps is unnecessary.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

ajkown1

Post by ajkown1 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:02 pm

I pay $39.00 monthly for Comcast's Performance Internet (200 Mbps) in Chicago. I have my own modem to save on the fees. I stream all of my tv viewing and have been very happy with the lower tier speed option.

Mindblown

Post by Mindblown » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:57 am

$60 double play promo for 2 years.
Home security
And internet at 60 MPs

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:07 am

Annabel Lee wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 am
Wanted to get a sense of what other BHs are paying Xfinity for monthly internet.

Our rates which were stable at $80/mo (for 300 mbps) have jumped suddenly without notice or explanation to $102/month and I wanted to get a sense of what others are paying before I call, threaten to cancel, negotiate downward and all of the other happy BS that Comcast and their American corporate ilk force you to do to get the best rate.

Thanks in advance to the group in our collective long battle against extortionate pricing by quasi-monopolistic rent seekers.
Same for my mom. Her total payment for internet and cable is $276 which I consider thievery. My condo association gives me the same or better package at a price of under $50 a month. Pretty big difference.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:54 am

Digital Preferred
Latino Add-On
Blast Internet (200 mbps)
Starz
Epix
1 HD DVR

$121 including all taxes and fees. It’s not even worth it for me to cut the cord and use YouTube TV. I couldn’t be happier with my rate.

xb7

Post by xb7 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 am

$66.95 monthly for "Internet Performance Plus". I downgraded to that a year or more ago and haven't seen any issue as a result --- and I stream on two tv's at once, use internet for other stuff beyond just PC/tablet/phone access. I don't stream 4k TV, however, FWIW.

Until I looked just now I had assumed I had an unlimited data plan, but what I read is that I have a 1024 GB per month plan. The most I've used in recent months is about a third of that, so no problem I guess.

Performance Plus is listed as 60 Mbps upload and 5 Mbps download. Testing with a fast computer close to my modem and router just now I got 34 Mbps download using xfinity's own test service. Testing with ookla just now, I got a similar 32.64 up, and 5.65 down, with a fast 9 ms ping time.

At some point I suppose it's possible we'll all be using enough bandwidth that I'll want to pay them more, but this works, and the only competition is Centurylink where I am, which I think these days might approach that speed but with no price break, at least last time I looked. And since I think they use different technology, and since I own rather than lease a modem, switching involves buying new hardware for me, so I'm good for now.

To be clear, we get JUST internet from xfinity. I don't want to be tied in with phone, tv, mobile phone, home security, or whatever other services they try to bundle. Because I always do want to have the flexibility to switch with minimal effort and hassle.

MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 am

Annabel Lee wrote:

$45/month for ”up to” 25 Mbps internet. Cable would be more

This is prepaid, but no contract:

https://www.xfinityprepaid.com/

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:59 am

I'm strongly looking into YouTube tv and Frontier for Internet after getting dragged through the mud with Comcast.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:22 am

I've gotten deals with Xfinity for $19.99 a month (up to 15mbs, which is fine for me) but that's bringing my own modem and committing to 1 year of service, after the one year the rate goes up and you have to call and cancel service (rate goes up if you don't) or try to cancel service explaining you're moving to Frontiers $27.99 a month no contract DSL plan.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 am

xb7 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 am

To be clear, we get JUST internet from xfinity. I don't want to be tied in with phone, tv, mobile phone, home security, or whatever other services they try to bundle. Because I always do want to have the flexibility to switch with minimal effort and hassle.
Just to be clear, while you need to have their internet to get mobile phone service, the services aren't "bundled". No contract for either service, and each service has separate billing. The only loss of flexibility I have is that, if I do drop internet, which is not likely, I think I need to pay a premium to maintain mobile service. But it's easy to switch mobile service, and in the meantime we're saving about $1k/yr compared to our former AT&T service.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:34 am

The pricing is a pain. You usually don’t have to jump through all this stuff when you go to a restaurant, buy gas, go to Home Depot, etc.

The first question is do you need 300 Mbps? Even with 4K streaming that would give you about 10 4K streams at once. Seems like a serious overkill. HD streaming is 4-5Mbps, 4 K is about 25 Mbps.

Only two people are usually at my home and I don’t have 4K tvs and I get by with 30 Mbps with zero issues. And I’m far from a patient person and make my living in the computer world. Except for businesses, I see zero reasons for people paying for 1Gbps which is offered in my area.

I don’t have Infinity.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:38 am

I pay Xfinity $50/mo ($51.83 after taxes) for Internet only, I think it's 200 Mbps now (to their credit, they have raised the speed recently). I bought my own modem.

The only options (in So. FL) are Xfinity and AT&T. So every year I have to do the dance of calling, threatening to cancel, etc. so the price doesn't jump back up to $80 or $100/mo. I even have it on my calendar (sadly, it's coming up soon). Some years it's super easy, other years I have to call back a couple times and jump through hoops to get someone to agree (to what the first 2 people told me was impossible).

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:49 am

Xfinity is the only provider at the one house where I use them. $83/mo for 40mbps incl. tax.

I have decided to nix this and just use a 4G hotspot from Verizon, starting in January.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:54 am

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 am
xb7 wrote:

Just to be clear, while you need to have their internet to get mobile phone service, the services aren't "bundled". No contract for either service, and each service has separate billing. The only loss of flexibility I have is that, if I do drop internet, which is not likely, I think I need to pay a premium to maintain mobile service. But it's easy to switch mobile service, and in the meantime we're saving about $1k/yr compared to our former AT&T service.
I use Xfinity Mobile, and when I drop the home service they will tack on an extra $10/mo to my mobile bill. That will still be half the price of a regular Verizon plan for my cell usage.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:09 pm

MarkRoulo wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 am
Annabel Lee wrote:

GREAT FIND! THANK YOU. The only caveat with this one is "Xfinity Prepaid Service cannot be used at an address that has active service with Comcast." Does anyone know
1. How long does it take to for a cancellation of active service?
2. How long does it take to get this service up and running?
Because if Comcast won't lower my rate, I'd like to cancel service to coincide with a time I'm out of town, and then get this as soon as I return and don't have "active service." But I can't be without internet for too long...

xb7

Post by xb7 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:15 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:24 am
xb7 wrote:

I take your point, and thanks for clarifying. We just have cell phones from another provider (T-Mobile), and aren't interested in cable TV or their other stuff, but regardless I still have a bias to not buy multiple services from these guys, whether it be called bundling or whatever --- because as you say, there's a price break for purchasing multiple services, which is intended to try to "lock you in", or at least increase the frictional/other costs of switching. I want to keep it easy to switch, both from a financial, and I guess "emotional" perspective.

Someday, I live in hope that the U.S. will have internet service prices competitive with the rest of the industrialized world.

MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:09 pm
MarkRoulo wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 am
Annabel Lee wrote:

GREAT FIND! THANK YOU. The only caveat with this one is "Xfinity Prepaid Service cannot be used at an address that has active service with Comcast." Does anyone know
1. How long does it take to for a cancellation of active service?
2. How long does it take to get this service up and running?
Because if Comcast won't lower my rate, I'd like to cancel service to coincide with a time I'm out of town, and then get this as soon as I return and don't have "active service." But I can't be without internet for too long...
Something that might be worth exploring is a cellular WiFi Hotspot.

The way these things (are supposed to) work is that they use an existing cell phone network (ATT, Verizon, Sprint) to get to the internet, but also have a WiFi chip so that devices such as laptop computers can connect to them.

An example is here:

https://www.boostmobile.com/plans/wi-fi ... tspotPlans

You could
  • get one of these (while keeping your Comcast). In the example above you get 50 GB/month
  • if it works, cancel your Comcast while still retaining internet using the device.
  • get Comcast prepaid once Comcast lets you
Alternately, if the thing works for you then maybe you just stay with it.

The experiment looks like it will cost $50 or $100, so about one month's current internet bill.

NOTE: I have read about these, but have never used one.

susa

Post by susa » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:58 pm

sschoe2 wrote: I pay $50/month for the bare bones 25mb/s. I was paying $35 but my promo expired. I may try to haggle them back to $35.
We have 100 mbps internet and bare bones basic TV service and no equipment from comcast (if we watch evening news live, we use stream).
Our total bill is 60 and another 5 for tariffs, taxes included (65.76 for Nov/Dec 2019)

Any channel, any show, including EU, Asia, S America, Canada, Australia is available without commercials using streams, no download needed and any browser works. Just watched latest 2 episodes of Crikey! It's the Irwins from AU

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Lalamimi wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:32 pm
$61 total ($40, $13 for modem, taxes) for 75 mbps. Internet only. We use Firestick and Netflix and rabbit years. Only other option is a local company with bad reviews.
Our promotion ended last year, and I did call and they reduced it $5 a month and locked in for 2 yrs. I have also heard if you can go into the Xfinity store, they can deal. Good luck.
If you buy a cheap (but perfectly acceptable) modem, you'll be ahead on that $13/month rent in 4 months or so. You likely don't need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, so cheap DOCSIS 3.0 will suffice.

$46

https://www.amazon.com/MOTOROLA-Certifi ... 218&sr=8-3

batrleby

Post by batrleby » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:33 pm

When Xfinity jacked up my rates, I had to actually quit first, then signed up two days later for 2 year discounted rate. 59.99/mo for 300mbps Internet only. Bought my own modem. YMMV

hayhayday

Post by hayhayday » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:37 pm

If you have multiple adults in the household and they refuse to match the new customer promo you can cancel in then immediately have someone else sign up with new customer rates. You will need to swap modem if rented or just go through setup in browser with same owned modem.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:47 pm

The go to move in college ^

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:52 pm

$64/month for 25 mbps and internet phone. Speed ok but drops once in a while for a few seconds. :shock: Access to mobile hotspots a bit of a plus.