What is the best 2% cash back credit card w/ no annual fee, now that Citi has stripped the Double Cash of key benefits?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
eye.surgeon

Re: What is the best 2% cash back credit card w/ no annual fee, now that Citi has stripped the Double Cash of key benefi

Post by eye.surgeon »

Fidelity.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
CoastalWinds

Re: What is the best 2% cash back credit card w/ no annual fee, now that Citi has stripped the Double Cash of key benefi

Post by CoastalWinds »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:03 pm Costco Visa still has 2 year warranty and some travel benefits.
What are the travel benefits of the Costco citi visa?
SocalAct

Post by SocalAct »

PayPal has a 2% cash back card with no annual fee. For December they have a targeted offer where you can get an additional 1% on some purchases (to a limit of $45 I believe).

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/c ... mastercard
Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.
sfchris

Post by sfchris »

If you haven't done so already, get the Chase Ink Business card for one year and get the $1000+ in bonus (after the yearly fee). For a year you will have excellent benefits when you choose to use the card.

https://creditcards.chase.com/ink-busin ... erred-card
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Ztx wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 pm I keep using the Double Cash as I never used the removed benefits.
I didn't even know about the removed benefits.

Post by 3000 »

State Department Federal Credit Union's Premium Cash Back+ Visa offers 2% cash back.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:45 pm Can't really speak to benefits such as car insurance etc, but I've been using the Fidelity 2% cashback card (issued by Elan Financial) for some years now and am pretty happy with it. 2% cash back on all purchases, deposited into your Fidelity account. I have mine going to my Cash Management account, then transfer them out if/when needed.
+1

Jst interested in 2% cash back. Also have the costco card.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

CoastalWinds wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:19 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:03 pm Costco Visa still has 2 year warranty and some travel benefits.
What are the travel benefits of the Costco citi visa?
https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/~/med ... coCon.ashx
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Just to clarify, these are the benefits that are no longer be available across Citi cards, beginning Sept. 22:

Car rental insurance
Trip cancellation and interruption protection
Worldwide travel accident insurance
Trip delay protection
Baggage delay protection
Lost baggage protection
Medical evacuation
Citi Price Rewind
Return protection
Missed event ticket protection
Roadside Assistance dispatch service
Travel and emergency assistance

The Double Cash card had some, but not all, of these benefits before Sept 22. Source: creditcards.com
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:53 am Just to clarify, these are the benefits that are no longer be available across Citi cards, beginning Sept. 22:

Car rental insurance
Trip delay protection
Baggage delay protection
Lost baggage protection
Medical evacuation
Citi Price Rewind
Return protection

The Double Cash card had some, but not all, of these benefits before Sept 22. Source: creditcards.com
The above linked is dated sep 22 2019 and does include many of these benefits.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

snailderby wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:58 am None of the benefits you listed:
  • Citi Double Cash [Mastercard]
Unknown benefits (invite-only cards):
  • Blispay Visa
  • Synchrony Mastercard
  • Ollo Mastercard (2.5% cashback)
Auto rental collision damage waiver:
Auto rental collision damage waiver + travel accident insurance + extended warranty protection + purchase security:
Other cashback cards with lots of travel and purchase benefits but with annual fees:
  • Bank of America Premium Rewards [Visa Signature] (1.5% to 2.625% base rate)
  • Alliant Cashback Visa Signature (2.5%)
Thank you for this summary.

I've often heard the mantra or meme for business projects "on time, on budget, works correctly - pick any two." It now seems like credit cards are developing there own meme - "high rewards, extra perks, no annual fee - pick any two."
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

Here's an updated list that's hopefully responsive to the OP's question about travel and purchase benefits.

A. 2% Cards with No Annual Fee

Unknown benefits (invite-only cards):
  • Blispay Visa
  • Synchrony Mastercard
  • Ollo Mastercard (2.5% cashback)
No auto rental collision damage waiver, travel insurance, extended warranty, or purchase security:
  • Citi Double Cash [Mastercard]
Auto rental collision damage waiver:
Auto rental collision damage waiver, (limited) trip cancellation protection, extended warranty, and cell phone insurance:
Auto rental collision damage waiver, travel accident insurance, extended warranty, and purchase security:
Auto rental collision damage waiver, travel accident insurance, extended warranty, purchase security, and lost luggage reimbursement:

B. 2%-2.625% Cashback Cards with Annual Fees
  • Navy Federal Flagship Rewards Visa Signature (2% base rate)
  • Alliant Cashback Visa Signature (2.5% base rate)
  • Bank of America Premium Rewards [Visa Signature] (1.5% to 2.625% base rate)
Last edited by snailderby on Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
CulchaCity

Post by CulchaCity »

Dottie57 wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:15 am
oldcomputerguy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:45 pm Can't really speak to benefits such as car insurance etc, but I've been using the Fidelity 2% cashback card (issued by Elan Financial) for some years now and am pretty happy with it. 2% cash back on all purchases, deposited into your Fidelity account. I have mine going to my Cash Management account, then transfer them out if/when needed.
+1

Jst interested in 2% cash back. Also have the costco card.

Does the Fidelity 2% back card still require $50 minimum before automatic redemption?
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

CulchaCity wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:21 amDoes the Fidelity 2% back card still require $50 minimum before automatic redemption?
I believe so. From Fidelity's website:
Please note that automatic redemptions will occur on a monthly basis as long as you have reached the point redemption threshold of 5,000 points.
jimmyrules712

Post by jimmyrules712 »

The Fidelity 2% card does not have the travel or shopping protection benefits that were stripped from the Citi Double Cash so it's really not any better than the Double cash post-benefits change. People should stop suggesting that as it doesn't give OP what they're asking for.

The BOA cards some people have suggested are a decent option for cashback. I'm not really familiar with how good their travel and shopping benefits are but I imagine they're better than Citi and Fidelity now.

Another option if you are OK with redeeming points for travel instead of straight cash back, and what I"m currently doing, is the Chase Sapphire Reserve paired with a Chase Freedom or Chase Freedom unlimited. Sapphire Reserve has some of the best shopping and travel benefits and provides 3 points for each dollar spent on travel and dining plus the sapphire reserve enables you to get 50% higher redemption value (when redeemed for travel) for your Chase Freedom points. Since the Chase Freedom unlimited gets a flat 1.5 points per dollar spent on all transactions the 50% redemption boost makes it effectively a 2.25% card and makes the sapphire dining and travel purchases worth 4.5%. If you use the regular Chase Freedom instead of the unlimited then the rotating 5% categories become worth 7.5%.

The Sapphire reserve has a high annual fee but I did the math and the travel credit they provide plus the better points benefits more than pays for the fee and still puts me ahead of a straight 2% cashback card.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:56 am
Ztx wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:51 pm I keep using the Double Cash as I never used the removed benefits.
Same here. I think I used Price Rewind two or three times in the 7 years I've had the card, and my auto insurer covers me in rental cars.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

If, like many people, you have the Amazon Prime Visa, that still offers rental car and travel insurance, so you could use that for rentals and 5% back on Amazon and Whole Foods while using the Double Cash for everything else.

It has purchase protection too (120 days, damage or theft), so you'd have to decide if that's worth 1% less back all purchases.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I stopped using the Citi card but not because of the drop in benefits - due to all the blocks I kept getting for ordinary stuff with their over-zealous fraud detection - BUT mostly due to a $99 loss to Citi whereby they claimed a transaction was blocked but then charged me for it (after I put that transaction on another credit card). I Disputed it and was rejected by Citi (vendor claims they never got the funds from that card and yet Citi charged me - Vendor charged me on the other card I used after Citi blocked it. Citi refused to accept the Dispute and told me to take it up with the Vendor).
Citi is now banned from my wallet for life.

Fidelity is a good option.
YoungSisyphus

Post by YoungSisyphus »

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:13 am
YoungSisyphus wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:09 am I still prefer the Citi card over Fidelity, I’ve had both. I had a better experience with Citi’s customer service (which isn’t saying a lot). The portal is more polished, point redemption is more simple, which is more than I can say for Elan Financial.
Fidelity credit card rewards are automatically redeemed to your fidelity brokerage account. I don’t know what could be simpler.
YoungSisyphus wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:09 am I also use credit card disputes more liberally than others
Why in the world do you need to do this?
When I used Fidelity's card you could only redeem at every $50, Citi does it at $25. Easier redemption.

On credit card disputes. Here's a recent one:
False advertising on an Amazon product, had Prime but sold through a third party. Come to find out that this product was non-refundable (spent over $40). Instead of calling to argue with an Amazon rep., I logged onto my Citi account, clicked dispute, listed the reason, and had my money back. Took 30 seconds.

If I had used Fidelity for this it would have still been a call, then a form e-mail, then me filling out a form and having to mail it in. I like having my credit card fight for me vs. having to go through low level customer care escalations to common issues like this.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

need403bhelp wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:25 pm
TheDDC wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:08 pm My credit union has a 2% cash Back VISA credit card. They also pay out an additional 1% of purchases charged annually to members in the form of a deposit back to the savings share. They have been doing this since the card product came out in 2015 or so. In essence it’s a 3% cash back on everything card. To get the 2% you have to have a checking account with direct deposit which I have had with them for 20 years.

Here are the ways to become membership eligible: https://www.psecu.com/about-psecu/membership

-TheDDC
Is the extra 1% back referenced anywhere on the website? I see 1.5% cash back plus an extra 0.5% if >$500 monthly direct deposit into their checking account on Founders card. Thanks!
It is not referenced anywhere, even on their online banking site if you are a member. It is listed as a "Founder's Card Reward" which is returned to the member in January when you click "My Benefits". It is obviously something that *could* go away at any time. However, the Founder's Card has only been around for 3 years and they have dropped the extra 1% into my Savings Share every January like clockwork. They also give cash back for other areas based on going paperless, doing direct deposit, amount of holdings/transactions of account, investment services (which I do not use them for). I like PSECU for many reasons other than the Founder's Card (they have always refunded ATM fees, free checks, free cashier's checks, homegrown BillPayer service that is way nicer than the "canned" product used by many other institutions) and had used them for nearly 20 years before they came out with the Founder's Card, but I simply cannot find an "everything 3%" card anywhere else like it.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 90-100% VTSAX piled high and deep, 0-10% VIGAX tilt, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Edge215 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:28 pm fidelity card. all day every day.

also use the amazon card for amazon and whole foods purchases. 5% back.

no fees on either.

the ultimate 1-2 punch.
This is what I do also.

My only complaint is that I tend to have more issues with card readers with my Fidelity cards than any other cards I have had.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Fidelity has been a great card for us.
McDougal

Post by McDougal »

abner kravitz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:23 pm

no fees on either.

the ultimate 1-2 punch.
This is what I do also.

My only complaint is that I tend to have more issues with card readers with my Fidelity cards than any other cards I have had.
Ask for the card to be replaced. Might be something physically wrong with the card.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

McDougal wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:36 pm
abner kravitz wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:23 pm

no fees on either.

the ultimate 1-2 punch.
This is what I do also.

Ask for the card to be replaced. Might be something physically wrong with the card.
I have done that, and it did not help much. Maybe my technique is bad, I don't know. I don't seem to have problems with my Amazon card.
bgf

Post by bgf »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:59 pm
ShadowRegent wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:27 pm
whodidntante wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:23 pm Why limit yourself to 2%, when you can have 2.625%, 3.5%, or 5.25% with BoA? Or what about a nice signup bonus, for 10% or more? Even the US bank Fidelity card gives me 2.4% to 2.8% on spending bonuses. If you want points, at least go for the high score! :happy
This is pretty much the only reason I still have investments parked at Merrill Edge after getting their bonuses a few times.
Read the T&C for how they move you down to lower tiers. You don't have to park money there. Shhh. Let's keep it a secret. :happy
sounds like i've got some reading to do!
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

The Double Cash is no longer in my wallet due to the stripped benefits. The 2 years extended warranty and price rewind were important to me, and saved me 4 figures over the years.

I believe there is no longer a single card that offers all these benefits, plus a 2% cashback rate.

The only card that still has 2 years extended warranty to my knowledge is the Citi Costco VISA. I have been a Costco member for about 20 years, so for me there is no additional fee, but for others who don't shop at Costco or aren't near one, there would be a fee to have this card.

Price protection is gone from most cards except Wells Fargo. And it's not nearly as easy to use as Price Rewind.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

madbrain wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:41 pm The Double Cash is no longer in my wallet due to the stripped benefits. The 2 years extended warranty and price rewind were important to me, and saved me 4 figures over the years.

I believe there is no longer a single card that offers all these benefits, plus a 2% cashback rate.

The only card that still has 2 years extended warranty to my knowledge is the Citi Costco VISA. I have been a Costco member for about 20 years, so for me there is no additional fee, but for others who don't shop at Costco or aren't near one, there would be a fee to have this card.

Price protection is gone from most cards except Wells Fargo. And it's not nearly as easy to use as Price Rewind.
At least the Fidelity 2% card still has a 1yr warranty extension, the Citi Double Cash has no warranty extension anymore. The Costco 2yr warranty extension is better if you already pay for a Costco membership, but the Fidelity card is good for those who do not have Costco already.

Agree that the Citi Double Cash is no longer worth using. You may never need the warranty extension, but I've used it a few times and it's been nice to have.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:58 pm
madbrain wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:41 pm The Double Cash is no longer in my wallet due to the stripped benefits. The 2 years extended warranty and price rewind were important to me, and saved me 4 figures over the years.

At least the Fidelity 2% card still has a 1yr warranty extension, the Citi Double Cash has no warranty extension anymore. The Costco 2yr warranty extension is better if you already pay for a Costco membership, but the Fidelity card is good for those who do not have Costco already.

Agree that the Citi Double Cash is no longer worth using. You may never need the warranty extension, but I've used it a few times and it's been nice to have.
I just collected $500 from Citi on a repair for my $4000 hot tub. It was purchased with my Citi Costco card 2.5 years ago, before I had the Double Cash. This was a hot tub with a 2 manufacturer year warranty. No one would offer and extended warranty contract for it. I knew this is an item that often has repairs, and I fully expected to have a claim on it eventually. I actually had one in-warranty repair already at 6 months. This may not be the last claim. I think a pretty good indicator of whether you want an extended warranty on a big ticket item is if one isn't available for sale :) Then the credit card benefit is definitely worth having. In the past few years, I charged most big ticket items (such as electronics) on my Citi Double cash. That will no longer be the case. Those will go on my Citi Costco card now. Citi is still getting my business - I'm just getting 1% less in rewards unfortunately. But to me the 2 years extended warranty are usually worth more than 1% on the big ticket stuff.

The Double cash has been replaced in my wallet with the Chase freedom unlimited. Combined with the CSR, I can get rewards at 2.25% when redeeming for Chase travel. Obviously the CSR has a fee, but I have other reasons to carry it. All non-Costco, non-big ticket item, non-dining/travel spending will go to my Chase Freedom unlimited now.

My husband only wants to carry one credit card, so he just uses the CSR.
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

TheDDC wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:17 pm
need403bhelp wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:25 pm
TheDDC wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:08 pm My credit union has a 2% cash Back VISA credit card. They also pay out an additional 1% of purchases charged annually to members in the form of a deposit back to the savings share. They have been doing this since the card product came out in 2015 or so. In essence it’s a 3% cash back on everything card. To get the 2% you have to have a checking account with direct deposit which I have had with them for 20 years.

Here are the ways to become membership eligible: https://www.psecu.com/about-psecu/membership

-TheDDC
Is the extra 1% back referenced anywhere on the website? I see 1.5% cash back plus an extra 0.5% if >$500 monthly direct deposit into their checking account on Founders card. Thanks!
It is not referenced anywhere, even on their online banking site if you are a member. It is listed as a "Founder's Card Reward" which is returned to the member in January when you click "My Benefits". It is obviously something that *could* go away at any time. However, the Founder's Card has only been around for 3 years and they have dropped the extra 1% into my Savings Share every January like clockwork. They also give cash back for other areas based on going paperless, doing direct deposit, amount of holdings/transactions of account, investment services (which I do not use them for). I like PSECU for many reasons other than the Founder's Card (they have always refunded ATM fees, free checks, free cashier's checks, homegrown BillPayer service that is way nicer than the "canned" product used by many other institutions) and had used them for nearly 20 years before they came out with the Founder's Card, but I simply cannot find an "everything 3%" card anywhere else like it.

-TheDDC
Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing your experience - it is very helpful.
tj

Post by tj »

Keesler FCU has a 2% card with no fees. $100 signup bonus too.

https://www.kfcu.org/save-spend-borrow/credit-cards/
A-Commoner

Post by A-Commoner »

Apple Card. No fees (application, annual, foreign transaction, or late payment fees), 3% cash back for Apple store purchases and other select companies (includes Walgreens for those who spend a lot on meds). 2% for other purchases when used with Apple Pay. If you already have an iPhone, might as well use this feature. If you don’t have an iPhone, not worth getting one just to have Apple Card.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

jpelder wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:36 am
SrGrumpy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:56 am
Same here. I think I used Price Rewind two or three times in the 7 years I've had the card, and my auto insurer covers me in rental cars.
Agreed. I did have the chase trifecta, but have now added two bofa cards. With platinum rewards, I get 2.625 on everything and another card gives 5.25 on one category and 3.5 on grocery and Costco.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

sailaway wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:02 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:53 am Just to clarify, these are the benefits that are no longer be available across Citi cards, beginning Sept. 22:

Car rental insurance
Trip delay protection
Baggage delay protection
Lost baggage protection
Medical evacuation
Citi Price Rewind
Return protection

The above linked is dated sep 22 2019 and does include many of these benefits.
Yep, the Citi Costco card kept rental car insurance. It did lose the trip cancellation and some other benefits. Still has 2 year extended warranty.

For us the rental car insurance is really about the only card benefit we have ever used, well "used" in the sense of bypassing the car rental company insurance. I had some small price protection refunds many years ago, but mostly those seem like too much trouble to track or register for. I like having some of the other benefits, like extended warranty, but have never had a situation where we used any of them.

Other than rental car insurance and, in a few cases, the 2 year Costco extended warranty, card benefits have never influenced which card we use for purchases.
The two greatest enemies of the equity fund investor are expenses and emotions. ― John C. Bogle
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I rotate around 4 CC's. In order of preference:
1) Fidelity Visa 2% cashback for most everyday spending - the 2% goes into my DD's Fidelty 529 which has grown over past 15 years to ~ 2 years worth of college tuition starting next fall. :moneybag
2) Costco Visa for 4% Gas, 3% Travel, 3% Dining cashback, plus the 2 yr warranty extension on some electronics. I use the Fidelity card when shopping at Coscto, because I desire the 2% cashback now rather than once a year.
3) Chase Amazon Visa for 5% cashback on Amazon only purchases. Cashback is usually just reapplied to any CC balance.
4) Chase Freedom for rotating 5% cashback and they have now added other "special" cashback offers that must be preregistered which is easy to do via the app. Ex: I recently received cashback of $20 (15%) from a Lowe's purchase of a $125 GC. I probably net around $200 in annual cashback with this card, which i usually use for GC purchases, when discounted 10% via their portal. Recently bought some GameStop GC's for kids xmas stockings at 10% off. :dollar