$1.05 fee for changing my address?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
bestplans
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 pm

$1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by bestplans »

Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
John Doe 123
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by John Doe 123 »

bestplans wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
Its not new. It serves as a way to prevent fraud and verify that the person on the address change is the one putting in the request. I do not think revenue generation is the motivator.
User avatar
Brianmcg321
Posts: 1171
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:23 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by Brianmcg321 »

John Doe 123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:18 pm
bestplans wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
Its not new. It serves as a way to prevent fraud and verify that the person on the address change is the one putting in the request. I do not think revenue generation is the motivator.
Its the velvet rope of fraud prevention.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 1738
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by galawdawg »

bestplans wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
Nope, USPS has charged a $1.00 fee to change your address online for at least ten years. The paper form works just as well if you don't want to pay the fee. No reason to do both.
Topic Author
bestplans
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:20 pm

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by bestplans »

John Doe 123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:18 pm
bestplans wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
Its not new. It serves as a way to prevent fraud and verify that the person on the address change is the one putting in the request. I do not think revenue generation is the motivator.
I guess it's worth it then. Thanks.
John Doe 123
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by John Doe 123 »

Brianmcg321 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:20 pm
John Doe 123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:18 pm
bestplans wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
Its not new. It serves as a way to prevent fraud and verify that the person on the address change is the one putting in the request. I do not think revenue generation is the motivator.
Its the velvet rope of fraud prevention.
Seems pretty effective IMO. Without it, I am sure there are several people who would change my address just to mess with me.
User avatar
mister_sparkle
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by mister_sparkle »

If you submit the change online, USPS mails you a bunch of coupons for places like Crate & Barrel, Lowe's, etc., all of whom are worth potentially hundreds of $ in savings. I moved recently and saved a boatload.
rkhusky
Posts: 10909
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by rkhusky »

On a similar topic, you can’t submit a mail hold anymore by just filling out a web form. You now have to create a USPS account. Always thought the prior method was ripe for pranking.
goblue100
Posts: 1275
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by goblue100 »

John Doe 123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:25 pm
Brianmcg321 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:20 pm
John Doe 123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:18 pm
bestplans wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
Its not new. It serves as a way to prevent fraud and verify that the person on the address change is the one putting in the request. I do not think revenue generation is the motivator.
Its the velvet rope of fraud prevention.
Seems pretty effective IMO. Without it, I am sure there are several people who would change my address just to mess with me.
If I wanted to mess with you, a $1 wouldn't prevent it. Now if I wanted to mess with a million people, 1$ would do it.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9565
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by whodidntante »

I would pay 1.04 for this service, and not a penny more!
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1822
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

rkhusky wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 pm On a similar topic, you can’t submit a mail hold anymore by just filling out a web form. You now have to create a USPS account. Always thought the prior method was ripe for pranking.
When I last tried this (a month ago), I needed to wait for a mailed verification number and then log into my account and then make the request. By the time the letter came I was already back from the trip, so plan ahead (but not too far as the code had a life of about 60 days)!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
02nz
Posts: 6059
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by 02nz »

mister_sparkle wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:10 pm If you submit the change online, USPS mails you a bunch of coupons for places like Crate & Barrel, Lowe's, etc., all of whom are worth potentially hundreds of $ in savings. I moved recently and saved a boatload.
I "move" about monthly for the Lowe's coupons. :D
aspiringboglehead
Posts: 104
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:28 pm

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by aspiringboglehead »

They once seriously messed up a temporary mail forward for which they charged me $1, and just on principle I requested a refund of the dollar. They didn't give it back.
User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 9565
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by whodidntante »

02nz wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:42 pm
mister_sparkle wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:10 pm If you submit the change online, USPS mails you a bunch of coupons for places like Crate & Barrel, Lowe's, etc., all of whom are worth potentially hundreds of $ in savings. I moved recently and saved a boatload.
I "move" about monthly for the Lowe's coupons. :D
You can double dip by buying Lowe's gift cards. They are often available for 10% off.
Goal33
Posts: 1577
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by Goal33 »

rkhusky wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 pm On a similar topic, you can’t submit a mail hold anymore by just filling out a web form. You now have to create a USPS account. Always thought the prior method was ripe for pranking.
I had this happen
drawpoker
Posts: 2809
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by drawpoker »

rkhusky wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 pm On a similar topic, you can’t submit a mail hold anymore by just filling out a web form. You now have to create a USPS account. Always thought the prior method was ripe for pranking.
Never submit a mail hold. If you are going on vacation. Never. Get your neighbors or friends to take in the mail.

USPS now hires so many dirtballs, scumbags, and other assorted questionable types for p/t and seasonal positions. Our town a few years ago had an incident of a rash of burglaries, break-ins, thefts, at homes where the owners were away. Police traced it to a ring operating on information fed to them by USPS newly-hired.

Same thing happened when they did the census. They used to hire just anybody (maybe still do) for those temporary, $10 an hr. jobs. More crime. Later linked to people in that workforce.
Startingover2019
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 pm

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by Startingover2019 »

How did people ever effectively change their address before the internet? Why do you feel the need to do an online form “just to be sure”?
User avatar
sperry8
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by sperry8 »

I move often. I never change my address with USPS. Instead I change my address directly with all the companies I do business with. Then all the spam direct mail goes away for a few years. I really like that clean mailbox. Yes, it requires me to update singularly with banks, etc. But I'm happy to do it. Bye bye, worthless catalogs and grocery mailers.
BH contests: 2020 #253 of 664 | 19 #233 of 645 | 18 #150 of 493 | 17 #516 of 647 | 16 #121 of 610 | 15 #18 of 552 | 14 #225 of 503 | 13 #383 of 433 | 12 #366 of 410 | 11 #113 of 369 | 10 #53 of 282
User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by RickBoglehead »

As noted, it's free if done at the Post Office, or by requesting that your carrier drop off a Change of Address kit. Whether you do it online or not, you'll get the discount offers.

Also note that the USPS then makes money off your address change, the information is on a file available to mailers which allows them to update your address in their systems. If they are merely renting your name, they can hit their list against the change, and mail to the new address, but not save the correction.

This information is also used by data mining companies, compiled with hundreds and hundreds of other pieces of data.

Recent movers are considered "fresh meat". When you move, you are ripe for offers - new window blinds, paint, household renovations, security systems, etc.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
nolesrule
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by nolesrule »

TheGreyingDuke wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:06 pm
rkhusky wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 pm On a similar topic, you can’t submit a mail hold anymore by just filling out a web form. You now have to create a USPS account. Always thought the prior method was ripe for pranking.
When I last tried this (a month ago), I needed to wait for a mailed verification number and then log into my account and then make the request. By the time the letter came I was already back from the trip, so plan ahead (but not too far as the code had a life of about 60 days)!
If you sign up for Informed Delivery, then you don't have to jump through the hoops because they've already verified that your address belongs to your account.
User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by RickBoglehead »

nolesrule wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:16 am
TheGreyingDuke wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:06 pm
rkhusky wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 pm On a similar topic, you can’t submit a mail hold anymore by just filling out a web form. You now have to create a USPS account. Always thought the prior method was ripe for pranking.
When I last tried this (a month ago), I needed to wait for a mailed verification number and then log into my account and then make the request. By the time the letter came I was already back from the trip, so plan ahead (but not too far as the code had a life of about 60 days)!
If you sign up for Informed Delivery, then you don't have to jump through the hoops because they've already verified that your address belongs to your account.
Correct, for held mail. But for changing your address, it doesn't change anything.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
nolesrule
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:59 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by nolesrule »

RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:26 am
nolesrule wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:16 am
TheGreyingDuke wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:06 pm
rkhusky wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:10 pm On a similar topic, you can’t submit a mail hold anymore by just filling out a web form. You now have to create a USPS account. Always thought the prior method was ripe for pranking.
When I last tried this (a month ago), I needed to wait for a mailed verification number and then log into my account and then make the request. By the time the letter came I was already back from the trip, so plan ahead (but not too far as the code had a life of about 60 days)!
If you sign up for Informed Delivery, then you don't have to jump through the hoops because they've already verified that your address belongs to your account.
Correct, for held mail. But for changing your address, it doesn't change anything.
Right. I just went through all of this recently. One of the reasons for the credit card charge is so that they can do an address validation on the billing address to ensure that the card address is either the old or new address. I had some struggles because we had to do a change of address twice in roughly 5 weeks due to temporary housing.
John Doe 123
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 am

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by John Doe 123 »

goblue100 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:19 pm
John Doe 123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:25 pm
Brianmcg321 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:20 pm
John Doe 123 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:18 pm
bestplans wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:13 pm Moving into a new apartment soon and filled out one of those paper forms at the local post office. No problem. But then I figured to be sure I'll do it online as well at usps.com and for that privilege I need to pay a $1.05 fee. Is this new?
Its not new. It serves as a way to prevent fraud and verify that the person on the address change is the one putting in the request. I do not think revenue generation is the motivator.
Its the velvet rope of fraud prevention.
Seems pretty effective IMO. Without it, I am sure there are several people who would change my address just to mess with me.
If I wanted to mess with you, a $1 wouldn't prevent it. Now if I wanted to mess with a million people, 1$ would do it.
The dollar is not what prevents you from messing with me, it just covers the USPS interchange fees. They are making sure that the name and address on the change of address matches the cardholder. So you'd have to fraudulently acquire and charge one of my cards. If that doesn't prevent you then I guess I am losing some mail.
Last edited by John Doe 123 on Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
1789
Posts: 1867
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:31 pm

Re: $1.05 fee for changing my address?

Post by 1789 »

I wouldn't worry about paying somebody 1.05$ today for no reason. Don't spend time with these things
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
Post Reply