Best source for microsoft office?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
B4Xt3r
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:56 am

Best source for microsoft office?

Post by B4Xt3r » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone knows a decent place to buy microsoft office? The ~$150 that microsoft wants is more than I would hope to pay.

-b4xt3r

User avatar
walkabout
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 am
Location: Northern Alabama

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by walkabout » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:57 pm

This topic comes up regularly (most recently a week or so ago). Here are links to a couple of topics.

viewtopic.php?t=274713

viewtopic.php?t=296372

User avatar
cashboy
Posts: 484
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:03 pm
Location: USA

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by cashboy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:02 pm

currently on sale at amazon for $99.99

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office ... 132&sr=8-2

it was recently on sale at best buy (and i think MS website itself) for the same price, but the sale ended. just wait for another sale.
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)

runner3081
Posts: 3226
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by runner3081 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:06 pm

Do you absolutely need it? There are excellent free options available.

Yinks
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:07 am

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by Yinks » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:14 pm

Check if one of your employers participates in the Microsoft Home Use Program. The last 4 times I got a computer I just paid $15 (yes 15, not a typo) to get the latest full MS Pro suite.

I think it's the littlest known company benefit that anyone knows about or companies talk about.

Talk to your IT department.

MS wants you to use their product that badly that they give you a 90% discount.

rivercrosser
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by rivercrosser » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:23 pm

Yinks wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:14 pm
Check if one of your employers participates in the Microsoft Home Use Program. The last 4 times I got a computer I just paid $15 (yes 15, not a typo) to get the latest full MS Pro suite.

I think it's the littlest known company benefit that anyone knows about or companies talk about.

Talk to your IT department.

MS wants you to use their product that badly that they give you a 90% discount.
Worth checking out. I did the same thing a couple times where I worked before I retired. Heck of deal if they offer it.

User avatar
Svensk Anga
Posts: 703
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by Svensk Anga » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:29 pm

I use Libre office myself. Zero cost. Does everything I need it to do. No MS subscription charges.

9liner
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by 9liner » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Yinks wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:14 pm
Check if one of your employers participates in the Microsoft Home Use Program. The last 4 times I got a computer I just paid $15 (yes 15, not a typo) to get the latest full MS Pro suite.

I think it's the littlest known company benefit that anyone knows about or companies talk about.

Talk to your IT department.

MS wants you to use their product that badly that they give you a 90% discount.
Microsoft recently modified its Home Use Program. The home use program has migrated to a subscription-based, Office 365 service. The new HUP offers a 30% discount off of an Office 365 subscription for eligible parties.

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7526
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by bertilak » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:57 pm

Microsoft Office includes OneDrive which I now find I can't live without. Like all cloud services it requires a subscription. The Office 365 subscription includes a OneDrive subscription. I much prefer the subscription plan for software. Keeping it up-to-date is no longer my my administrative responsibility.

Total cost is $99.99/year for a family plan (up to 6 family members).

Individual plans are $69.99/year.

I see that as the cost for OneDrive and getting the 365 Suite for practically nothing. (Even though MS sees it as just the reverse.)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

sean.mcgrath
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:15 am
Location: US in NL

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by sean.mcgrath » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:05 pm

According to the German ebay sites, the German Supreme Court has ruled that you can unbundle (this is not dissimilar to American law about hardware). As far as I can tell, it is legal to buy licenses for Office at around $4 https://www.ebay.nl/itm/Lifetime-Office ... Sw7q5dy~LS and Windows for about $10 https://www.ebay.nl/sch/sis.html?_nkw=M ... 1981969785
Last edited by sean.mcgrath on Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jags4186
Posts: 4880
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Do a little googling. You can get it on eBay for ~$22

https://www.ebay.com/i/124001026392?chn ... gIkLvD_BwE

fred9
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:31 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by fred9 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm using Libre- free

User avatar
cowdogman
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by cowdogman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:35 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:57 pm
Microsoft Office includes OneDrive which I now find I can't live without. Like all cloud services it requires a subscription. The Office 365 subscription includes a OneDrive subscription. I much prefer the subscription plan for software. Keeping it up-to-date is no longer my my administrative responsibility.

Total cost is $99.99/year for a family plan (up to 6 family members).

Individual plans are $69.99/year.

I see that as the cost for OneDrive and getting the 365 Suite for practically nothing. (Even though MS sees it as just the reverse.)
Yes, this is the deal you want. I have had the family subscription for 4 or 5 years. Microsoft bills me $109 every January and we get the latest version of Office for everyone in the family and all our various Windows and Mac computers. As noted above, you also get OneDrive for EACH person. As an added bonus, I don't have to feel guilty committing software piracy.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5608
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:49 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:09 pm
Do a little googling. You can get it on eBay for ~$22

https://www.ebay.com/i/124001026392?chn ... gIkLvD_BwE
Very likely not legitimate products. OEM disks, illegal download versions, etc.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

knightrider
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:20 am

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by knightrider » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:01 pm

I bought a 2007 version on ebay for $19, but now I don't see that offered anymore.. It is incredibly annoying how Microsoft makes it so complicated and expensive to use their software..

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by heartwood » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 pm

I used to use an employer version of Office, then I switched to a chromebook where I can't use the windows software. Now I use a free online version of Office at outlook.live.com completely compatible with chrome browser or my chromebook.

You need a free outlook account. You have access to Word, Excel, etc. Your files are in OneDrive accessible from anywhere with an internet connection. There are some differences between the outlook.live.com version and a paid subscription, but for my needs it works well.

I also frequently use Google's Drive apps: Docs, Sheets and others. They readily use Office files within Drive and are better integrated with the Chrome browser and my chromebook. And they're free.

User avatar
Steelersfan
Posts: 3812
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Probably not applicable to the OP, but it might be for someone else.

If you're buying it for a non-profit, or to use in support of a non-profit, TechSoup offers discounted versions of Office and many other products. Here's Microsoft Office for $39.00:

https://www.techsoup.org/products/offic ... LS-48332--

civility
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by civility » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:12 pm

B4Xt3r wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:51 pm
Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone knows a decent place to buy microsoft office? The ~$150 that microsoft wants is more than I would hope to pay.

-b4xt3r
If you are student or work in a educational institution, most offer a free microsoft account that has access to all of its products.

Oreamnos
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:27 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by Oreamnos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 am

Office 365 Home subscription through Costco. The price is discounted decently, and they add 3 extra months to the annual subscription for free.

This version allows for 6 users, and each user is entitled to 1 TB (yes, TB) of OneDrive cloud storage. OneDrive really does seem to be a good overall package, including for Mac users.

15 month subscriptions at a discount, plus 6 TB total of cloud storage is pretty hard to beat.

02nz
Posts: 4988
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by 02nz » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 am

If you want the traditional buy-once model, Office 2019 Home and Student (can only be installed on 1 PC) is on sale at Amazon for $100: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Office ... 07FVRYLSW/

Many people are skeptical of the subscription model. I used to be a skeptic. But if you have any need for cloud storage, you're essentially getting Office 365 for free, for what OneDrive (or one of its competitors) would cost on its own. I find that they work great and are a good value.

Amazon just ran a deal for a one-year subscription of Office 365 for $100 but with $50 Amazon gift card included. That's probably the best deal on Office. That sale comes around once a year, right around Cyber Monday I think.

aristotelian
Posts: 7632
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by aristotelian » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 am

runner3081 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:06 pm
Do you absolutely need it? There are excellent free options available.
Including Microsofts own free online version. Its not the full package but it does everything I need.

runner3081
Posts: 3226
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by runner3081 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:29 am

aristotelian wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:31 am
runner3081 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:06 pm
Do you absolutely need it? There are excellent free options available.
Including Microsofts own free online version. Its not the full package but it does everything I need.
I also find that for home needs, I use Google anymore.

ARoseByAnyOtherName
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 am

Re: Best source for microsoft office?

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:01 am

knightrider wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:01 pm
I bought a 2007 version on ebay for $19, but now I don't see that offered anymore.

It is incredibly annoying how Microsoft makes it so complicated and expensive to use their software..
It’s really not complicated nor expensive. $7 a month here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/offic ... verviewtab

Post Reply