25 years old roof

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
nydoc

25 years old roof

Post by nydoc »

Hi,
We are in process of purchasing a house in NY state. One particular house fits our criteria but roof is 25 years old. It has architectural shingles. Owner does not report any roof damage or leak. Roof inspection is planned as part of home inspection. Anything particular concerns with the age of the roof? How soon it should be replaced?
Thank you.
imyeti2

Re: 25 years old roof

Post by imyeti2 »

I'd include the cost of replacing the roof in your purchase price negotiations. It may be time to replace the roof in the next 5 years. I'd change the roof before moving in and not have to worry about it for the next 25 years. Get quotes from several reputed roofers.

Another thought is to think about solar roof tiles. This technology will mature in the next 10 years and you may be able to time it well !
Watty

Post by Watty »

imyeti2 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 pm I'd include the cost of replacing the roof in your purchase price negotiations.
The age of the roof should be factored into how much you are willing to pay for the house but that does not automatically mean that the seller should pay for a new roof.

The reason is that everyone involved already knows that the roof is 25 years old and the house should have been priced accordingly. The seller may or may not have done that but if they did then then I would not expect them be willing to pay for a new roof.

The first house that I bought had an obviously older roof but it failed the roofing inspections. The resolution was that I told the seller that I knew that the roof was older but I expected it to have five years left since as I recall that is what the mortage company wanted. The roof had about a 25 year life expectancy when new so I asked for them to pay 20% (5/25=20%) of the cost of the roof. They were OK with that and I was able to finance the other 80% with the mortage(I do not remember the details of how that worked.)

I had already negotiated a pretty good price on the house and it was a slow housing market in November so that was also a factor. If my deal fell apart they likely would not have been able to sell the house until the spring. If I had pushed too hard they would have likely just put the roof on themselves and then tried to sell the house for a higher price in the spring.
Last edited by Watty on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
delamer

Post by delamer »

My recollection, from replacing our roof 20 years ago, is that different shingles have different “life expectancies.” Plus there could be unseen from-the-ground issues (like mold in a heavily shaded area).

So I wouldn’t dismiss a house with a 25 year old roof. Just see what the inspector has to say.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Negotiate for a lower price or get some cash back, if the asking price doesn't already reflect the age of the roof. Don't have the current owner replace the roof. They will have no incentive to get someone who will do a good job.
Last edited by rkhusky on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

nydoc wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 pm One particular house fits our criteria but roof is 25 years old. It has architectural shingles. Owner does not report any roof damage or leak. Roof inspection is planned as part of home inspection. Anything particular concerns with the age of the roof?
Just make sure your home inspector knows about our concerns, pays particular attention to the roof and checks for signs of leakage.

The roof could have another 5-10 years left. Or it could have needed replacing 5 years ago.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Topic Author
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

There will be a contingency clause for major roof or structural problems. House price has already been reduced by 10% and is suitably priced. I am still trying to negotiate the cost of the roof- if they don’t agree to reduce any further, will still go ahead with the offer. I just want to make sure there is some life left in the roof.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

nydoc wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:35 pmI just want to make sure there is some life left in the roof.
Look at it yourself first, perhaps with the aid of good binoculars if you can't get up close. Do you see any cupping? Any cracks? Any missing shingles? Any shingles look newer than the rest?
Look closely in the attic. Any stains or mold?
Look closely at all the ceilings. Any stains? Any signs of recent touch-ups?

You'll only know for sure when a good inspector takes a close look. But if you don't see any bad signs, it's probably got at least some life remaining.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

nydoc wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 pm ......roof is 25 years old. It has architectural shingles. Owner does not report any roof damage or leak. Roof inspection is planned as part of home inspection.......
1 - architectural shingles are for appearance only. They are no more, or less, sturdy or long-lasting than the non-architectural, regular asphalt shingles.

2- Is your state one of the ones with the very strict seller disclosure laws? Look it up if you don't know. (We have it in MD) In states with these laws, the seller can be in really Deep DooDoo, legally, if a buyer discovers some defect that was obvious to the seller and not disclosed.

3- Relax. Let the home inspector do the work. If you are paying for a comprehensive home inspection (you should insist on being present at the time it is conducted) he will go up into the attic and check for any signs of recent leaks. He should also closely eyeball ceilings in all rooms to detect any signs of recent application of Kilz underneath paint.

You said NY, right? If upstate, that puts you in snow belt and vulnerable to ice damming in the gutters, usually at the corners. It pushes water up under the fascia, thru the ventilation slats, eventually works it way into attic, then down. :( It does not mean there is anything "wrong" with the roof itself. Ice damming problems in winter can happen with a brand new roof.

So, Be sure and ask the inspector to check for that, too.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

I'd carefully check the ceilings around the the fireplace(s), vents and exhaust pipes to look for signs of repairs and fresh painting; I'd be sure the inspector goes into the attic and looks for signs of wetness in the joists and rafters. I was told by my inspector when I bought this house that the roof was fine. Two roofers tell me that still even though I have had leaks. The guys doing the repairs however have told me the shingles are brittle and there are popup nails from the "decking" coming through. I decided the next leak I'm replacing the roof.

Also, if having a drip edge is the norm where you live, be sure it is in good shape. If there were gutter guards and they were removed, the norm here is to put back the drip edge, but some don't do it.

I've found moisture meters a helpful tool over the years.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Also check about using an ice and water shield. Depending upon insulation, air venting, etc...ice dams could be a problem in that area. In my area, home inspectors do not "walk the roof." You may need a roofer(s) to do an inspection.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

drawpoker wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:14 pm 1 - architectural shingles are for appearance only. They are no more, or less, sturdy or long-lasting than the non-architectural, regular asphalt shingles.
No.

Architectural shingles are nearly twice as thick are regular 3-tab shingles. And last longer.
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

We lived in Upstate NY for decades before moving nine years ago, so we had experience with roofs in both a severe winter area and in one that has a lot of sun. A 25 year old roof in the North? It will need to be replaced. Realistically 30 year shingles will last 22 years or so tops in that climate. Now if they put down 50 year shingles you would have more time, but I doubt they were available 25 years ago. I would plan on replacing it if I was you.
daheld

Post by daheld »

I'd also plan on having the roof replaced, regardless of what you're able to work out with the seller. Realistically nobody can tell you what to do without seeing the roof. As another poster said, it might be good for 10 more years or might've needed replacing 5 years ago.

We bought a house about two years ago and lucked out--the roof was only two years old and supposedly in great shape, but upon inspection it had hail damage. Looked fine from the ground and probably would've been ok, but I certainly did not complain about the seller's insurance company paying for the $11,000 roof replacement before we took ownership.
AB609

Post by AB609 »

25 years is about it for asphalt shingles. I would expect to replace the roof within 5 years maximum. I would hire a reputable roofer to do an inspection and not a generic home inspector recommended by the realtor.