New job opportunity, tough decision

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
elrc21

New job opportunity, tough decision

Post by elrc21 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:29 pm

Really appreciate any comments/advice/questions/anecdotes. I'm having a hard time with this decision.

About us:
- married, both late 30's, two kids (5,3), LCOL area
- I have a masters degree, have worked at same Univ research center as research staff for nearly 15 years
- making mid $60k's now
- DW makes ~$110k
- we just bought a house within walking distance of current job/kids school/parks/restaurants/arts/library/coffee shops/etc. Planned to stay here for long haul
- new mortgage will be our only debt ($400k)
- ~5 month emergency fund now, adding to this
- a little over $500k in retirement savings now, including 403b, DW 401k, and roth IRAs
- we are on track to have ~4MM by our mid 50's, which would be "enough" I think. No real plans to retire at that time if we still enjoy our jobs
- I currently spend a lot of time (10-15hrs/wk) training on a bike so that I can compete in bike races at a fairly high armature level, I often leave work at lunch or early afternoon to ride for 1-2hrs. I like being fit. I acknowledge that cycling on the road is dangerous and it does worry me to get hit by a car. If I switched back to trail running or was just less competitive on the bike, I'd be ok with that.
- DW job is not very flexible. She often works 1-2hrs after 5pm. Difficult for her to leave work midday when needed. When one of kids gets sick, it's me that leaves work to get them and stays home with them. She could find a more flexible job with a slight pay cut but doesn't want to do that.

Current job:
- senior research assistant
- making mid $60k's now, no bonus opportunities
- 5% raise annually, on average
- no real room for growth, my role will not change much as long as I stay
- great environment/coworkers/director
- 100% soft funded. If we don't find funding ourselves, the University will not pay our salaries. Our Center has been around for 25yrs and has not laid anyone off, but this is always possible.
- new projects all of the time, so what I'm doing changes a lot every year or so. This is is sometime good, sometimes not. I like to learn new things but I often feel like I'm a master of nothing. My skill set after 15 years is a scatter shot of technologies and software
- flexible hours, able to leave work and take vacation days whenever needed
- low stress usually, occasionally big deadlines and longer hours are required
- with new house, will be able to walk to work
- I can sometimes find consulting work for ~$50/hrs to make extra money
- after 15 years, I'm a bit bored/tired of the job. The day-to-day isn't bad, but knowing my growth is so limited is depressing

New job opportunity:
- manager position in a manufacturing plant
- would start at $80k with 10% sign on bonus, 20% annual bonus pool
- nobody reporting directly to me. I would have one peer at the plant and we would report to corporate
- lots of room for growth. If I'm successful, I could move up quickly and salary/bonus would grow along with that
- completely different job! with mostly unknown culture and environment (everything I hear is good). I should learn more about this soon but I find this both exciting and frightening.
- commute would be around 40 minutes each way. Traffic shouldn't be too bad as it is in the opposite direction that most morning/afternoon traffic will flow. This commute would take ~300hrs/yr from my life.
- I will learn more soon, but I don't know how flexible work hours will be. DW is worried this part will add a lot of stress to our lives. Who will get/stay with kids when they get sick? I'm hopeful I could arrange working hours to be early, so that I could pick my children up from school each day. DW could drop them off each morning. Still, lots of unknowns here.
- I have been told I can learn the processes quickly and my role would be to analyze data and solve problem. I can do that. I would have a lot to learn and would need to get up to speed asap
- would be working several layers beneath a friend of mine, which has a lot to do with why I'm getting this opportunity. He needs someone smart for this role and believes I can do the job. I would hate to screw up our friendship somehow

-------------------
I'm leaning toward taking the new job. I feel excited to try something new and have room for growth. I'm apprehensive because of the commute, having a more stressful job, and not being able to leave work when needed. The extra money is also exciting and fun to look at on paper, but not 100% needed in order for us to have a happy future.

CPA without a cause

Re: New job opportunity, tough decision

Post by CPA without a cause » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:41 pm

to me there is no right or wrong answer, you don't need the money be thankful for that.

if you took new job and didn't like it, could you go back to your old job? assuming you leave with 2 weeks notice, I can't imagine you would burn a bridge after being there for 15 years.

since your current job is flexible, could you take a week of vacation and try the new job out for a week as a 1099 contractor?

the commute will be the worst part if you ask me, nothing beats a short walk to work. In John Updike's book The Centaur the main character's father bemoans moving to a farm outside of town because now he is dependent on a car and its finicky ways. Heed that warning.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:13 pm

elrc21 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:29 pm

- we are on track to have ~4MM by our mid 50's, which would be "enough" I think.

New job opportunity:

- commute would be around 40 minutes each way. Traffic shouldn't be too bad as it is in the opposite direction that most morning/afternoon traffic will flow. This commute would take ~300hrs/yr from my life.

- I don't know how flexible work hours will be. DW is worried this part will add a lot of stress to our lives.
For me, these factors would make this a definite "no."

fuddbogle

Post by fuddbogle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm on my 4th manufacturing job in the past 20 years. 3 previous resulted in layoff and/or facility closure.

You may not be stressed about your job/life now but you will be in manufacturing.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:43 pm

- would start at $80k with 10% sign on bonus, 20% annual bonus pool
- nobody reporting directly to me. I would have one peer at the plant and we would report to corporate
I'm curious what type of job this is... but it sounds like a corporate support role. If no one in the factory reports to you and you aren't part of making the product, when the inevitable downturn in whatever market this is arrives, those are dangerous positions. I worked in and then ran factories my whole career. I always cautioned folks when they moved into these types of roles (better work life, less stress, not tied to a shift or daily/weekly output goals) that they were taking a huge risk when costs needed to be cut.

Mike

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:46 pm

elrc21 wrote:

New job opportunity:
This part reminded me of a quote ...

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment." (Warren Bennis)

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:54 pm

elrc21 wrote:
- commute would be around 40 minutes each way.
Some problems with that;

1) That likely means 40 minutes on a good day but there will be bad days, terrible days, and the occasional commute from hell. If the position is one where you really need to be there at the starting time then you may need to leave for work a lot more than 40 minutes ahead of time just so that you will be there on time even if there is bad traffic.

2) With two young kids they may go to bed at something like 7:00 PM. If you get home 40 minutes later then you may see them very little on weeknights. You may also go to work before they get up in the morning. You can figure out the details but you will see your kids a lot less on weekdays.

3) If you get home later then who will cook diner? You may spend a lot more on take out food and not only does that get expensive but it may not be healthy.
elrc21 wrote:
would start at $80k with 10% sign on bonus, 20% annual bonus pool
It would be good to figure out how much more you would make after taxes and your commuting costs. I doubt that it would be all that much.

You might be able to do better if you did something like tutored students one night a week.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:56 pm

elrc21 wrote:

- new projects all of the time, so what I'm doing changes a lot every year or so. This is is sometime good, sometimes not. I like to learn new things but I often feel like I'm a master of nothing. My skill set after 15 years is a scatter shot of technologies and software
What specific technologies and software is part of your current skill set?

If there anything you’re particularly interested in pursuing, if you has the opportunity?

Your current salary is quite low for anything software related.

Keep in mind that there are other opportunities out there. Personally I wouldn’t consider working in a manufacturing related role but to each his own.
elrc21 wrote:

This is very low for almost any sort of technical consulting work.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:04 pm

My vote would be to keep the current job. A lunch hour bike ride sounds wonderful!

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:15 pm

elrc21 wrote:

I'm leaning toward taking the new job. I feel excited to try something new and have room for growth. I'm apprehensive because of the commute, having a more stressful job, and not being able to leave work when needed. The extra money is also exciting and fun to look at on paper, but not 100% needed in order for us to have a happy future.
elrc21,

The new job does not pay you well enough to compensate for the additional commute time and additional stress on your spouse. At your household income level, most of the additional 20K will ended up in taxes.

KlangFool

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:59 pm

ARoseByAnyOtherName wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:56 pm
elrc21 wrote:

If there anything you’re particularly interested in pursuing, if you has the opportunity?

Keep in mind that there are other opportunities out there. Personally I wouldn’t consider working in a manufacturing related role but to each his own.
elrc21 wrote:

Salary may be low for something software related, but it's actually quite high for a university research assistant, at least in my MCOL area. That's a bit more than two friends (one with PhD) in similar positions at two separate local universities, both doing health/medical related research.

lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:24 pm

With kids at 5 and 3, and a wife in an inflexible job, I would think long and hard about giving up your flexible, short commute, ‘easy’ job. You’re going to need the flexibility as your kids hit school. The daycare years are so much more easier to manage - drop between 7am and 6pm. Once they’re in school you have to work around holidays, early release, late start, conferences, spring break, and the list goes on. Add in activities and you’ll be really glad to have no commute and a job you can leave at the office.

If you’re truly unhappy, I’d look for something closer to home. I wouldn’t blow up your life for this job.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:26 pm

In my opinion it's not enough of a salary increase for the huge commute increase and loss of flexibility. If it was a bump to $120k that would be worth thinking about.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Dontridetheindexdown

Post by Dontridetheindexdown » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:16 pm

You are on track for retirement, you bought a house for less than 2.5 times annual income, and you have a secure job with maximum flexibility.

I would not trade your position for 3 times the salary, and definitely not for a manufacturing (production) environment.

From my perspective (12 years retired after 20 years military and 18 years in other endeavors) you are in the catbird seat.

The freedom you have to spend time with your family and pursue your sport (it is amateur, not armature) is priceless.

The fact that your wife's job is more restrictive makes your job worth more than you realize.

There is no way I would even consider the career move you are making.

At twice your age, I do have some perspective.

Feel free to PM me if you need more reasons to stay right where you are.

JD2775

Post by JD2775 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm

how does one go from research to a manager at a manufacturing plant? How were you even qualified for the job opening?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:33 pm

JD2775 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm
how does one go from research to a manager at a manufacturing plant? How were you even qualified for the job opening?
OP stated that a friend is higher up on the food chain at manufacturing plant and was just looking for someone "smart enough" to do the job. I'm with everyone else, yeah if you aren't happy (though sounds like the current gig is super cushy) then look, but this opportunity isn't worth it.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:38 pm

There is no way I would take the manufacturing job. What will you do when the kids get sick? You have it 'MADE' where you are.

JD2775

Post by JD2775 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:38 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:33 pm
JD2775 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:20 pm
OP stated that a friend is higher up on the food chain at manufacturing plant and was just looking for someone "smart enough" to do the job.
ah, sorry. Thanks. I missed that piece.

TDCumm16

Post by TDCumm16 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:52 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:15 pm
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21,

The new job does not pay you well enough to compensate for the additional commute time and additional stress on your spouse. At your household income level, most of the additional 20K will ended up in taxes.

KlangFool

Agree with Klang. Keep the current gig. Sounds like you have a great work/life setup that many slave away for decades at corporate gigs trying to get that freedom. You have young kids... keep flexibility high, work stress low... enjoy all life has

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:52 pm

What's your Plan B if the manufacturing job doesn't work out?

It's important to always game out these scenarios. Are your relationships good with your present employer to come back if this new job goes bad?

Sometimes you have to take certain calculated risks. The management experience may open up doors for you even if this job ends up being short term. You just need to game out where you want your career to go.

almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:01 pm

KlangFool wrote:
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21,

KlangFool
So I agree with KlangFool that this will create a lot stress in your family, and you need to figure out how to get real buy in from your wife. Getting her to reluctantly agree is a recipe for disaster down the road.

On the other hand, for your career and if you have some ambition, I think it is a no brainer. I was sort of in your position at around the same age, albeit without kids. I was on the research staff at a FFRDC (DoD think tank) where I was very comfortable doing modeling work and churning out studies. Basically no pressure, great colleagues, being paid a decent wage, looking at 3 to 5% raises for the rest of my life. It was a lot like being on the faculty of a research university without the teaching responsibilities. Folks that join the place tend to stay forever. There were some layoffs when the defense drawdown happened in the mid-1990s, but I was a sufficiently high performer (though not a "rain maker" as it were) that I never had any worries that it would happen to me. At the 8 year mark, I decided that I needed to try something different before it was too late and managed to get a job as a data analyst at AOL right before the merger with TW. That merger turned into a disaster, but the move worked out great for me professionally. I gained a lot of new perspective, was able to hone a completely new set of skills, learned how to manage and lead teams (though I've never cared for the HR aspects) and exercise technical leadership, etc. I'm sure things would have been fine if I had decided to stay at the think tank, but in terms of both personal growth and our financial situation, I made the right choice. It has allowed me to achieve financial independence by my early 50s. I now work because I want to, not because I have to. And should something crazy happens where I am asked to do something that I believe undermines my integrity, I can just walk away without a second thought.
Last edited by almostretired1965 on Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:04 pm

almostretired1965 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:01 pm
KlangFool wrote:
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21,

KlangFool
So I agree with KlangFool that this will create a lot stress in your family, and you need to figure out how to get real buy in from your wife. Getting her to reluctantly agree is a recipe for disaster down the road.

On the other hand, for your career and if you have some ambition, I think it is a no brainer.
almostretired1965,

I disagreed. This is a manufacturing job with minimal upside. If OP has career ambition, doing more interesting outside consulting work will be a better approach.

KlangFool

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:17 pm

I also worked in manufacturing for many years. This is not worth it.

If you were primary or only family income, then you might be compelled to do it for the slightly higher income. But in your situation you are in a good position to protect and support your family and your wife's higher income. The new job will compromise that, you will make hardly any more money after taxes because you are being taxed at your household marginal rate, it will impact your family life, your health, seriously might as well sell your bike because you will not have time or energy to ride it anymore, and manufacturing jobs just suck your life away. It's not even a trade-off; it's literally lose-lose. If you want personal challenge or a little extra money, get it from your hobbies, a side gig, or literally drive Uber or something.

Wenonah

Post by Wenonah » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:25 pm

Did you say what type of job? Are the workers healthy? smokers? educated? do any of them bike or do they go 4 wheeling and you won't be able to relate? The deal is, you are at a university-- you are hanging out with a bunch of educated people whose company values you as a professional, giving you time off when needed, etc. The wife has an intense job, no need for you to have one too. You guys are great financially, and this is a great situation for the KIDS! Having a parent readily available is huge! No way are you going to get the biking in that you do now. My husband is a serious biker and living 40 miles away takes that away from you. Get a serious volunteer job or a side gig that taxes your brain when the kids don't need you. Here is a post from Mr. Money Mustache about the "true cost of commuting."
Lastly, wait until your kids get older and you want to go to their after school games, band concerts, etc. and you will so appreciate not commuting. The other thing about a flexible job is you get to pick your kids up AND their friends and get to know them. Somebody else's parents will have to help you raise your kids. Time in the car together and time at their events after school, ESPECIALLY Middle School, is of ultra importance. The grass is always seems greener, but it's sometimes not. Best Wishes. https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/10 ... commuting/

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:46 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:59 pm
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21 wrote:

Salary may be low for something software related, but it's actually quite high for a university research assistant, at least in my MCOL area. That's a bit more than two friends (one with PhD) in similar positions at two separate local universities, both doing health/medical related research.
Have you ever thought about ramping up your consulting work to the point where you can quit your full-time job, and consult full-time? If you find it rewarding that may be a good option for you while maintaining the flexibility you currently have.

Along those lines, how about taking on this manufacturing opportunity as your first consulting client, instead of joining as a full time employee?

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:49 pm

As your wife is the breadwinner by a considerable margin I think you should do whatever makes her life easiest. You’re talking after tax an increase in net pay of around $625/mo. At what cost to your wife and your status quo does that relatively minimal amount come?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:46 pm
stoptothink wrote:
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21 wrote:

Have you ever thought about ramping up your consulting work to the point where you can quit your full-time job, and consult full-time? If you find it rewarding that may be a good option for you while maintaining the flexibility you currently have.

Along those lines, how about taking on this manufacturing opportunity as your first consulting client, instead of joining as a full time employee?
Considering the manufacturing opportunity is in a totally different industry, one which the OP admits he has no experience or expertise in, me thinks consulting isn't an option. Otherwise, totally agree that finding a way to increase the consulting they currently do (whatever it is) might be the most effective means to increase income without being a detriment to the current situation.

ARoseByAnyOtherName

Post by ARoseByAnyOtherName » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:56 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:08 pm
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:46 pm
stoptothink wrote:
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21 wrote:

Considering the manufacturing opportunity is in a totally different industry, one which the OP admits he has no experience or expertise in, me thinks consulting isn't an option. Otherwise, totally agree that finding a way to increase the consulting they currently do (whatever it is) might be the most effective means to increase income without being a detriment to the current situation.
That's a really good point.

If he doesn't want to take the manufacturing job, maybe there are other consulting opportunities OP could explore at that company, via his friend, that are different than the full time job being offered and more in line with his current skills.

If he did take the manufacturing job maybe he could ramp up the consulting business as much as possible on the side, using his existing skills plus the new skills he's learning in his new job.

themuse

Post by themuse » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:30 am

I would recommend not doing it.

Not enough of an increase. Gross amount may seem large, but net will be minimal, especially if you factor in other things like commute and flexibility.

Not a good career move - you are locked into manufacturing as a career, and that's not really trending up here in the US.
--themuse-- | | Investing should be boring

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:43 am

if you are happy now and on track for retirement, I wouldnt make the change, if you need to make more money, get a side hustle it is the new gig economy

Tachyon

Post by Tachyon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:56 am

Just giving my knee jerk impression: Why?!

It sounds to me you have a perfect job right now.
Combined with your DW's income, you're saving a decent amount.

What's another $20-$30K a year just to add on a bunch of stress?
Remember, you're not going from $60K to $80K. You are (with DW) going from $170K to $190K.

Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:05 am

Can you leverage your new job offer to see if you can get a salary bump in your current job? I mean if you hit 70k, then the difference becomes fairly minimal.

So you'll make about 11k extra after taxes, assuming a rough 25 percent marginal rate.

That's about $37.5 per hour for the extra 300 hours of driving that you'll be doing. Plus you lose flexibility, you work in a more stressful environment. You lose time with family as well. Only you can decide if 11k is worth that.

Have a sit down with your spouse and decide what is best for your family. The reality of the situation is, mankind finds happiness from growth and you aren't growing in your position anymore which is why you feel this way. But often times, the grass is usually greener on the other side

DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:11 am

Your growth potential outside academia may be far higher than you think. If you are curious, and feel like there's a good chance that you would use this opportunity as a stepping stone to something much better (higher comp, lower stress, flexible hours, better commute, etc.) in about a year or so, I would highly encourage you to take this job and see where it leads.

If you're thinking of it as a long term opportunity, I'm with most others: it's too little of a bump in comp to justify all the downsides.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:28 am

KlangFool wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:04 pm
almostretired1965 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21,

KlangFool

On the other hand, for your career and if you have some ambition, I think it is a no brainer.
almostretired1965,

I disagreed. This is a manufacturing job with minimal upside. If OP has career ambition, doing more interesting outside consulting work will be a better approach.

KlangFool
+1

Stick5vw

Post by Stick5vw » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:26 am

Don’t move - can’t see any upside to taking a manufacturing job for so little after tax salary increase. Not really a growing area domestically.

Maybe I missed it, but does moving impact your wife’s job? She’s the main breadwinner so be careful of jeopardising that income stream and above all her happiness.

40 minute (at least) commute sounds hellish

Find a side hustle and / or more consulting gigs to keep your mind fresh professionally.

Or find another hobby and enjoy life and time with your kids! It sounds like you really have a sweet setup.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:38 am

To the original question, I would not make the jump.

- As others have said the after tax gain will be relatively small and you are losing a lot of time per day with the commute
- A walking commute will facilitate happiness in your work and home life in ways another $20K/year never will
- In your current role you have other University/Research people around all day, so colleagues and similar others. In the manufacturing job you *might* have one other person as a true colleague

Your wife already earns more by a substantial margin. What additional upside does her career offer? With you more available at home due to minimal commute and flexible work conditions, can she earn more/pursue promotion?
elrc21 wrote:
About us:
- I have a masters degree, have worked at same Univ research center as research staff for nearly 15 years
- making mid $60k's now
- DW makes ~$110k
- we just bought a house within walking distance of current job/kids school/parks/restaurants/arts/library/coffee shops/etc. Planned to stay here for long haul
- a little over $500k in retirement savings now, including 403b, DW 401k, and roth IRAs
- we are on track to have ~4MM by our mid 50's, which would be "enough" I think. No real plans to retire at that time if we still enjoy our jobs
Also - what projections are you using to turn $500K in retirement funds into $4MM within the next 15-20 years? Not saying it can't be done, just curious about the assumptions that get you there.

almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:52 am

KlangFool wrote:
almostretired1965 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21,

KlangFool

almostretired1965,

KlangFool
It seems to me there is some upside, where he is now has none. I might be reading between the lines, but it sounds to me like the position is focused on data analysis. Assuming I am correct, this will allow him to stretch himself and the skills he acquires will extend beyond the narrow domain. There is a lot of really exciting stuff happening in manufacturing and factory automation these days, building predictive models using telemetry, etc.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:15 pm

almostretired1965 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:52 am
KlangFool wrote:
almostretired1965 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
elrc21 wrote:

elrc21,

KlangFool

almostretired1965,

KlangFool
It seems to me there is some upside, where he is now has none. I might be reading between the lines, but it sounds to me like the position is focused on data analysis. Assuming I am correct, this will allow him to stretch himself and the skills he acquires will extend beyond the narrow domain. There is a lot of really exciting stuff happening in manufacturing and factory automation these days, building predictive models using telemetry, etc.
almostretired1965,

<<New job opportunity:
- nobody reporting directly to me. I would have one peer at the plant and we would report to corporate>>

This does not sound like a job with an upside to me.

KlangFool

almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:15 pm
almostretired1965 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
almostretired1965 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

elrc21,

KlangFool

almostretired1965,

KlangFool
almostretired1965,

<<New job opportunity:
- nobody reporting directly to me. I would have one peer at the plant and we would report to corporate>>

KlangFool
He's changing careers. He's fortunate to get any pay increase. I am not saying there is no risk, and it may not work out, but to say there is no option value in this role is to be very short sighted, in my view. He already knows that the current position is basically a dead end.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:33 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:13 pm
elrc21 wrote:

- we are on track to have ~4MM by our mid 50's, which would be "enough" I think.

New job opportunity:

- I don't know how flexible work hours will be. DW is worried this part will add a lot of stress to our lives.
For me, these factors would make this a definite "no."
+1. Let me throw two more factors in there. OP starts a new job, kid gets sick, you take time out of your new job - do it enough times, the new manufacturing plant corporate staff is NOT going to look at you in a favorable light. Bonus pools - they can be cut at any time, if I were you I would re-evaluate your offer to read as this:

"Dear Elrc21, We are pleased to offer you a new position at XYZ Manufacturing Co., Inc. at an annual rate of $80,000 plus benefits (see attached description) and the potential (emphasize) to be eligible for up to a 20% bonus". In return you will work at least a 40 hour week, will have one direct report and will commute an extra 3-6 hours on your time to get to work. Your employment is not guaranteed, performance is no guarantee of a job."

Now, re-reading your job offer like that Elrc21, tell me why you would be so excited to take it? I'm being serious. There is no way I would take that job. The stress of the commute is going to wear you thin in about 3 months. The stress on your wife is going to impact your family dynamics. You still think this job is worth it? I don't mean to be harsh, but there are times when you have to put the family first, this is one of them. You don't need the money.

Use your Thanksgiving day to look around at your family during dinner and truly be thankful for the great bounty for which you are currently enjoying. Don't let the thought of an extra $20K gross mar the great thing you have going for you and your family now. It's just not worth it!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:39 pm

almostretired1965 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm
KlangFool wrote:
almostretired1965 wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
almostretired1965 wrote:

almostretired1965,

KlangFool
almostretired1965,

<<New job opportunity:

KlangFool
He's changing careers. He's fortunate to get any pay increase. I am not saying there is no risk, and it may not work out, but to say there is no option value in this role is to be very short sighted, in my view. He already knows that the current position is basically a dead end.
I have quite a bit of mega corporate experience in FP&A amongst other areas, when there is a decision to have a reduction in force, the org chart is pulled out. The first thing they look at besides those who are documented as underperforming is what roles can be consolidated or eliminated. A person deemed a manager with no direct reports? Big target for elimination. I agree with KlangFool, the use of the title "manager" is a smokescreen, it has no value, management of the plant knows it, the prospective employee well, not so much.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:46 pm

Pinotage wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:38 am
elrc21 wrote:
About us:
- making mid $60k's now
- DW makes ~$110k
Also - what projections are you using to turn $500K in retirement funds into $4MM within the next 15-20 years? Not saying it can't be done, just curious about the assumptions that get you there.
I have the same question. The only way this happens is to shovel a lot more money into the accounts, inheritance or a sudden windfall. Hoping for continual high returns in the markets is not a plan. I think a target of $2MM is more feasible.

Topic Author
elrc21

Post by elrc21 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:37 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:46 pm
Pinotage wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:38 am
elrc21 wrote:
About us:
- making mid $60k's now
- DW makes ~$110k
I have the same question. The only way this happens is to shovel a lot more money into the accounts, inheritance or a sudden windfall. Hoping for continual high returns in the markets is not a plan. I think a target of $2MM is more feasible.
Yes, we have paid down debt and are now shoveling a lot more money into savings. My projections use a 7% return, which is probably optimistic.

Topic Author
elrc21

Post by elrc21 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:09 am

DoubleClick wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:11 am
Your growth potential outside academia may be far higher than you think. If you are curious, and feel like there's a good chance that you would use this opportunity as a stepping stone to something much better (higher comp, lower stress, flexible hours, better commute, etc.) in about a year or so, I would highly encourage you to take this job and see where it leads.

If you're thinking of it as a long term opportunity, I'm with most others: it's too little of a bump in comp to justify all the downsides.
I’m pretty sure I’d be in this position for 1yr, then have a good shot at a promotion with move up to the next pay band, which would put me at ~$95-100k and a 35% bonus pool. That role would still be inside a plant. The next promotion would put me in a corporate office setting. The commute would still be 35-40 minutes each way.

A couple years ago their bonus paid out at 170% (eg $100k salary and 35% pool = $59,500 bonus). This year it’s on track to pay out only 50%.

There are several other nearby companies that produce a similar product, and I could see there being opportunities with them after I gain some experience. Some of those facilities are closer to home.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 am

elrc21 wrote:
My skill set after 15 years is a scatter shot of technologies and software
You're obviously a smart guy. Use some of your research skills and free time to figure out which technology/software you'd like to become an expert in and then make it happen. In other words, use the flexibility and freedom inherent in your current job/situation to create your own growth opportunity. That's how you should advance your career.

And yes, switch to trail running.

missingdonut

Post by missingdonut » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:33 am

KlangFool wrote:
almostretired1965,

<<New job opportunity:

KlangFool
I'm in management at a manufacturing company. I agree with KlangFool and this is the largest red flag to me. A manager with no direct reports is not a manager; it's a huge target for a pot of money to save in a RIF.

You don't say what kind of manufacturing company you'd be working for (which is perfectly understandable) but beware that a lot of American manufacturing is cutthroat to an extent that you probably aren't used to in a University setting. It's not as bad as retail, for sure, but you are potentially one soft quarter or one private equity company sale away from a whole lot of uncertainty and stress. That said, it sounds like if you lost your job the family would be financially okay.

Personally, I've found that my consulting work is much more rewarding to me than my day job. Since you have some ambition, I'd strongly consider putting effort into expanding the consulting (and at a higher hourly rate, if possible) rather than changing the day job. If the consulting takes off, then you can consider going fully self-employed, which would allow you to stay in a flexible role for your family.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:37 am

I think I would stay at the current job. Seems like you have no direct personal experience with just how bad a stressful corporate job can be. To me your extremely flexible job with lots of learning opportunities and reliable raises is worth way more than the difference in salary at the new job.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 am

I would stay where you are. The new job is a huge gamble and if you lose, you have tossed away an almost ideal situation.

I would work on finding more challenging things to do with your current situation. Perhaps you can volunteer for extra work and show your skills, or help out some other project there.

KESP

Post by KESP » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:19 am

Nearing retirement here, and some of the most stressful times in my marriage were when the kids were young, and both of us were 30 minutes from home, and I would get a call from daycare/school saying one of them was sick and had to be picked up. Or there was a snow day/early closing/school vacation. There is more to life than a dream job, or even a more gratifying one. You are fortunate that your combined income is pretty darn good. You will be undoubtedly adding great stress to your life and marriage by a job change. Maybe it’s just me, but I spent a great deal of time in my 20’s and 30’s working all kinds of hours because my feelings of self worth were tied into what I did and how much I made. I changed jobs that gave me less money and more time off, and I don’t regret it for a second. As you get older, I think you will see that time is the most important thing. You both are doing well, it’s not like you can’t pay your bills. I would not take the new job.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:01 am

elrc21 wrote:
You're at a cross roads. This problem reduces to being with your family more, or providing more for your family.

You've asserted that you already have enough - you can retire at 50 years of age, you work for a fairly safe institution.

You state that you are leaning towards taking the job because it would gratify you. How do you handle stress? How will your family handle you not being there some times?

Often in these decisions it's important to visualize what life would be like if you DID and if you DID NOT take the job. Consider regrets in both situations. That may make the decision easier for you.