Best insurance company for auto, renters, umbrella insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Best insurance company for auto, renters, umbrella insurance

Post by yosemite_mountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:29 pm

I’m looking to have auto, renters, and umbrella insurance with the same insurance company.

I’m looking for a reputable insurance company that has an excellent track record of paying and handling claims.

Looking for a company that does not deny reasonable claims and that I don’t have to fight with if I ever had a claim, and also has good customer service/timeliness in paying claims. I’m located in the California Bay Area.

Any recommendations/suggestions?
Last edited by yosemite_mountain on Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

runner3081

Re: Best insurance company for auto, renters, umbrella insurance

Post by runner3081 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:43 pm

I would advise against AAA. Continued 10% increases with no accidents or changes to credit score.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Clark Howard recommends Amica and usaa. You have to meet the military service or familymember for usaa tho.

Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:28 pm

mhalley wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:48 pm
Clark Howard recommends Amica and usaa. You have to meet the military service or familymember for usaa tho.
Thanks for the info. I want to be very cautious especially with regards to auto and umbrella.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 pm

AMICA.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

DL1111

Post by DL1111 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 pm

I have all of mine through Erie Insurance. The Umbrella isn't the cheapest you can get, but the Auto and HO are very competitive. Keep in mind that your suggestions are going to vary by state. Some companies are more competitive is certain states than others, or the products aren't available in your state.

Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:50 pm

DL1111 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 pm
I have all of mine through Erie Insurance. The Umbrella isn't the cheapest you can get, but the Auto and HO are very competitive. Keep in mind that your suggestions are going to vary by state. Some companies are more competitive is certain states than others, or the products aren't available in your state.
Thanks for heads up on "state specific"

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:00 pm

The last time I shopped around maybe 4 years ago my criteria were good rates but also a highly rated company. Amica was on the list but ended up going with Erie. Local independent insurance broker down the road makes any necessary office visit easy.

They haven't jacked up my rates (yet); but then again have not had the occasion to make a claim.

Was with American Family forever but their rate hikes with only 1 claim over 20 years finally stuck in my craw.

ustf

Post by ustf » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:06 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:43 pm
I would advise against AAA. Continued 10% increases with no accidents or changes to credit score.
+1

Switched from AAA to Geico and saw a large drop in premium for same coverage and in spite of adding another teenage driver to the policy.

BGeste

Post by BGeste » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:21 pm

Geico is excellent for car, home, and umbrella. I switched from USAA and saved a lot.

Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses! Many posters reference premiums; I'm more interested in track record on paying claims?

FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm

yosemite_mountain wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm
I'm more interested in track record on paying claims?
Amica has been excellent for us in that regard - we have made claims on both home and auto policies over the years, and the claims were paid promptly and fairly in all cases.

Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:02 pm

FinanceGeek wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:55 pm

Amica has been excellent for us in that regard - we have made claims on both home and auto policies over the years, and the claims were paid promptly and fairly in all cases.
Thanks for the insight

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:06 pm

yosemite_mountain wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:22 pm
Thanks for all the responses! Many posters reference premiums; I'm more interested in track record on paying claims?
I've filed a couple claims with State Farm. I was rear-ended both times and elected to file through my own coverage collision coverage both times, and both times State Farm was able to recover 100% of the damages from the other driver/their insurance (and my deductible). While estimating the first claim, they noticed some damage from a previous hail storm. I didn't think it was a big deal, but the estimator recommended filling the comprehensive claim and explained that it would not impact my premiums.

I have auto/renters/umbrella. My local agent is phenomenal. He provided meaningful support throughout the most recent claim (the recommended body shop was across the street from his office).

Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Daryl wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:06 pm

I've filed a couple claims with State Farm. I was rear-ended both times and elected to file through my own coverage collision coverage both times, and both times State Farm was able to recover 100% of the damages from the other driver/their insurance (and my deductible). While estimating the first claim, they noticed some damage from a previous hail storm. I didn't think it was a big deal, but the estimator recommended filling the comprehensive claim and explained that it would not impact my premiums.

I have auto/renters/umbrella. My local agent is phenomenal. He provided meaningful support throughout the most recent claim (the recommended body shop was across the street from his office).
Great info thanks

gips

Post by gips » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:29 pm

We switched from nationwide and geico to amica. Saved about $1200.

Malinois000

Post by Malinois000 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 pm

All my insurance needs are handled by State Farm and I am very satisfied.

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:16 am

Amica or the high net worth insurers: Chubb, PURE, AIG or Nationwide Private Client, Travelers QH2.0

Usually, you get what you pay for.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:47 am

Allstate or Statefarm

Deblog

Post by Deblog » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:01 am

We have had great experience with State Farm. Had a few shingles blow off house. Estimator came out and said he saw some hail damage so need a new roof. Cut a check to us within 2 days in hand. Covered new roof 100%.

We had Erie before that from the time I was 16 till I was 46. Paid claims well but when we added a teenage driver, the price increase was rediculous. Saved a lot with State Farm.

jimishooch

Post by jimishooch » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm

i'm a shopper,

home = travelers (thru geico), autos = progressive. motorcycle = geico, umbrella = RLI.

good luck
jim

Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 pm

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:42 pm

yosemite_mountain wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 pm
Start here, though not perfect, has ratings specifically for claims:
https://www.jdpower.com/business/rating ... /insurance

samjuno

Post by samjuno » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:07 pm

AMICA.
After a fire & need to evacuate for several days (heat & electricity turned off in building), they were very accommodating in approving temporary housing for myself & my cats. Many hotels/motels have pet-assigned rooms that are best suited for dogs, but not cats. AMICA understood my concerns and approved a place even if it was more expensive for them. That happened ~ 10 years ago & I've been with them for almost 20 years now.

dacalo

Post by dacalo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Amica is very good, although my claims were minimal. Their customer service was top notch. However, they commanded too much premium over companies like Geico and we switched.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:52 pm

yosemite_mountain wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:29 pm
Any recommendations/suggestions?
Geico did me right until our oldest child turned 16. Then they reduced umbrella coverage available to $3M and we want more.

We switched to AIG and pretty happy, they write policies on families with youthful drivers with Excessive Liability coverage.

We used Marsh https://pcs.marsh.com/ to get this and subsequent price shopping showed this best price and also best value.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:14 pm

yosemite_mountain wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:13 pm
I have been a USAA customer for about 36 years. We have had many claims in that time including auto, home, and flood. In all cases, the service we got from USAA was excellent. I once talked to a general contractor who said their experience was that USAA paid out claims faster than any other company in the industry. That was several years ago however, so I don't know if this is still a valid comment today.

Topic Author
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:14 pm

I have been a USAA customer for about 36 years. We have had many claims in that time including auto, home, and flood. In all cases, the service we got from USAA was excellent. I once talked to a general contractor who said their experience was that USAA paid out claims faster than any other company in the industry. That was several years ago however, so I don't know if this is still a valid comment today.
Thanks. I've heard great things about USAA, but I don't have a military family member

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 pm

Since you are in California, I have heard good things about Wawanesa Insurance. They only write in CA and OR in the US, and are based out of Manitoba. The departed FatWallet Finance boards that introduced my to bogleheads had many members that sung their praises, and they have not been mentioned in the thread yet.