How Worried Should I Be/Is there anything I can do right now? (job offer/background check)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
adamsapple19

How Worried Should I Be/Is there anything I can do right now? (job offer/background check)

Post by adamsapple19 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm

I was recently offered employment in an A/R capacity with a company < 150 employees. I would be the only one serving in this capacity in a small office. I have never undergone an employment background check.

This job would be incredibly important to me - and to the organization - despite it being a "little lower on the totem pole" in terms of how I read about a lot of folks' jobs here on Bogleheads. I won't discuss the specifics but suffice to say the monetary compensation and the benefits package (including a matching 401K) are incredibly meaningful to my personal situation and I'm beyond ready to hit the ground running.

My concerns about the background check and what I'm hoping for clarification on:

1) The credit check: My credit is stellar, zero missed payments in 12 or 13+ yrs. I have a mortgage and several credit cards with a utilization of < 1%. Paid off vehicle. Zero bankruptcies or anything of the sort. There are student loans. In 2014 I had to go to an Urgent Care for intense back pain. Due to financial issues, the result today is a < $500.00 outstanding collections account from a collections agency. The "irony" of this is not lost on me nor I assume will it be lost on the employer.

2) Six years ago I was involved in a single-car accident. I was charged with the following: Careless Driving, Driving under the Influence, Operating an Uninsured Vehicle. For clarification, I have always had car insurance. My insurance wasn't checked but for whatever reason this charge was placed as part of the arrest. The charges of Careless Driving and Operating an Uninsured Vehicle were dismissed, as was the DUI charge after early termination of a deferred sentence. I had never been arrested before, or since that time. It troubles me deeply to this day - personally, professionally .. in every possible capacity. What happened that night is NOT a reflection of who I am or the job I'm capable of doing.

So, despite there being no conviction, the arrests themselves hang there to be judged for anyone to see. I feel these are incredibly damning when viewed in a snapshot - the charge of No Insurance makes the event look so much worse I feel, a charge that should never have even been included. It takes an already ugly picture and makes it uglier.

There isn't anything else to be found in the background check ... from what I've read, I mean, "big stuff" like criminal convictions, sex offenders, etc. They won't find anything of the sort. I didn't lie on the application or resume - the background check will corroborate everything. It will show the good and the ugly.

FWIW, this record can't be expunged in my State and, as I understand it, I'm not sure how relevant that would be anyway. The arrests themselves will always show up and thus can be judged on their face, with or without context.

I'm losing sleep over this - one person I talk to thinks I'm fine (because the accident was "old" and because there isn't any "big stuff" to be found). I wish I could share that person's optimism ... honestly I'm bracing myself for the worst. I know how this looks and I know I can never escape it. Even though that was my only arrest in my life, it didn't happen when I was like 19 yrs old or something, it happened when I was 31. I was working full time, going to school full time, and had literally just closed on buying my first home. I was exceptionally busy and stressed at the time - none of which is an excuse.

I've been working hard to find what I call "meaningful employment" (livable wage/benefits) for a solid year now. Countless searches/applications submitted on Indeed, assessments taken ... vast majority of employers never respond and of the interviews I have had this is the role in which I feel I am very qualified for and can absolutely help out in this organization. I'm on pins and needles and I feel somewhat helpless.

Will I have a chance to respond to the results of the background check? How exactly does this process work?

I'm hoping for literally any meaningful feedback - blunt is fine, probably preferred. Especially hoping to hear any thoughts from any hiring managers or the sort.

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any/all responses.
Last edited by adamsapple19 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thegame14

Re: How Worried Should I Be/Is there anything I can do right now? (job offer/background check)

Post by Thegame14 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:29 pm

I don't think you have to worry, I think they look more for jail time or arrests that could embarrass them or their reputation. Worst case they ask you about it, and you can probably say it is private, or say you went to a party had some wine and got into a minor accident, but you have learned from the experience and maybe throw in an Uber joke.

Trader Joe

Re: How Worried Should I Be/Is there anything I can do right now? (job offer/background check)

Post by Trader Joe » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:54 pm

adamsapple19 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm
I was offered employment in an A/R capacity with a company between 50-100 employees. I would be the only one serving in this capacity in a small office. The background check would likely have been started within the last 2-3 days and I believe is being run through ADP Screening and Selection services. I have never undergone an employment background check. I'm 37 yrs old.

When I was offered the job this week (after an in-person and two phone interviews) I was beyond ecstatic; I didn't earn my Associates degree (in Business) until I was 33 yrs old (in 2015). I earned the degree while working full-time in a high-volume business collections role at a business process outsourcing company (call center). I gained a lot of skills in this role which my prospective employer finds valuable.

This job would be incredibly important to me - and to the organization - despite it being a "little lower on the totem pole" in terms of how I read about a lot of folks' jobs here on Bogleheads. I won't discuss the specifics but suffice to say the monetary compensation and the benefits package (including a matching 401K) are incredibly meaningful to me and I'm ready to hit the ground running.

My concerns about the background check and what I'm hoping for clarification on:

1) The credit check: My credit is stellar, zero missed payments in 12 or 13+ yrs. I have a mortgage and several credit cards with a utilization of < 1%. Paid off vehicle. Zero bankruptcies or anything of the sort. There are student loans. In 2014 I had to go an Urgent Care facility for intense back pain. Due to financial issues, the result today is a $369.00 outstanding collections account from a collections agency. The "irony" of this is not lost on me nor I assume will it be lost on the employer.

2) In 2013 I was involved in a single-car accident. I was charged with the following: Careless Driving, Driving under the Influence, Operating an Uninsured Vehicle. For clarification, I have always had car insurance. My insurance wasn't checked but for whatever reason this charge was placed as part of the arrest. The charges of Careless Driving and Operating an Uninsured Vehicle were dismissed, as was the DUI charge after early termination of a deferred sentence. I had never been arrested before, or since that time. It troubles me deeply to this day - personally, professionally .. in every possible capacity. What happened that night is NOT a reflection of who I am or the job I'm capable of doing.

So, despite there being no conviction, the arrests themselves hang there to be judged for anyone to see. I feel these are incredibly damning when viewed in a snapshot - the charge of No Insurance makes the event look so much worse I feel, a charge that should never have even been included. It takes an already ugly picture and makes it uglier.

There isn't anything else to be found in the background check ... from what I've read, I mean, "big stuff" like criminal convictions, sex offenders, etc. They won't find anything of the sort. I didn't lie on the application or resume - the background check will corroborate everything. It will show the good and the ugly.

FWIW, this record can't be expunged in my State and, as I understand it, I'm not sure how relevant that would be anyway. The arrests themselves will always show up and thus can be judged on their face, with or without context.

I'm losing sleep over this - one person I talk to thinks I'm fine (because the accident was "old" and because there isn't any "big stuff" to be found). I wish I could share that person's optimism ... honestly I'm bracing myself for the worst. I know how this looks and I know I can never escape it. Even though that was my only arrest in my life, it didn't happen when I was like 19 yrs old or something, it happened when I was 31. I was working full time, going to school full time, and had just closed on buying my first house 6 days prior. I was exceptionally busy at the time - none of which is an excuse.

I've been working hard to find what I call "meaningful employment" (livable wage/benefits) for a solid year now. Countless searches/applications submitted on Indeed, assessments taken ... vast majority of employers never respond and of the interviews I have had this is the role in which I feel I am very qualified for and can absolutely help out in this organization. I'm on pins and needles and I feel somewhat helpless.

Will I have a chance to respond to the results of the background check? How exactly does this process work?

I'm hoping for literally any meaningful feedback - blunt is fine, probably preferred. Especially hoping to hear any thoughts from any hiring managers or the sort.

Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for any/all responses.
I really would not worry. Just see how it goes.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Given you'll be taking on a finance role, they are likely looking for issues in that area (fraud, check issues, bankruptcy) that would disqualify you from handling finances for them. If the arrest comes up, they will likely ask you about it for details. Up to you what you share to get them comfortable it isn't an issue for the role you are taking on

Mike

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:16 pm

Jobs that involve lots of driving for the company often require the DUI to be 10 years old or more and one max.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:17 pm

There is no way to get rid of that no insurance false charge?

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:25 pm

no idea what "A/R" means.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:26 pm

When you applied, was there a question about arrests on the application? If so, did you answer honestly?

I believe in some states that question can no longer be asked. Perhaps your state is one that restricts such questions on applications.

OP, I would expect many of us could have been charged in similar activities, as some impaired levels are very low, I am one of those. Never got arrested, or stopped but I'm sure I could have been. BTW, I am actually glad the levels are so low, protects us all.

Hope for the best, sounds like a one-of you have taken to heart and learned from.

Hopefully it won't prevent you from getting this job. Best wishes.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 pm

F150HD wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:25 pm
no idea what "A/R" means.

Accounts receivable?

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Try not to stress until you know there is an issue. Practice (in front of the mirror) concise unemotional answers to questions about the charges that were dismissed and the small medical debt balance that is in collections. Be honest, don’t lie (especially on a job application; sometimes it’s a lie rather than the issue that get offers rescinded). Consider in the future resolving the collections issue if it is legitimate.

The major things your employer is likely looking for are felonies, anything that hints at financial difficulties, etc. An employee in the accounting department with financial difficulties could be a higher risk for committing fraud or other accounting irregularities.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out. Sounds like your background is a great fit for this job. Consider continuing your education to earn a Bachelors degree in Accounting especially if you ever want to supervise a billing/collections group in a larger company or move from A/R to another area in the accounting group.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:13 pm

I am not clear as to why you haven’t paid the $369. Even if you need to take a cash advance from a credit card. Better to pay some interest, but get it off your credit report.

If the arrest comes up, I’d respond that you were arrested but not convicted based on anything that occurred. And then hope for the best. In my life, I’ve found that over-explaining gets me in more trouble than keeping things short-and-sweet.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Purdue

Post by Purdue » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 pm

As someone who works in a mid-size corp legal department and advises our HR dept. on these same questions from time-to-time, I would say this is something that would certainly be discussed with us at our company. However, in my state (and some others) an arrest record by itself cannot be used in making a hiring decision. The caveat to that is we can ask the candidate to explain the circustances of the arrest (and investigate seapartely) and make a determination on whether to hire based on that (but not the arrest record itself). Type and severity of the offense, time gone by since, position (A/R certainly handles $), and the age at the time are also factors considered. My advice is to be honest and candid if they ask about it, though they may not even do that. More often than not in my experience the candidate is not honest and forthcoming, and that ends up being the reason they are not hired.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:53 pm

There are two aspects to this. The first is whether you were truthful in responding to any related questions on your employment application and during the interview process. That is, it can often be the case that a lack of candor will torpedo you where the underlying issue otherwise would not.

The second consideration goes to the adjudicative standards used by the company in evaluating derogatory information. As noted previously, those can vary depending on the nature of the role applied for. For example, if the role involves handling money, financial irresponsibility, fraud and theft issues may be viewed more closely than other types of offenses. If not disqualifying on their face due to their gravity, you may be given an opportunity to explain the circumstances around any adverse reporting. If you take responsibility and are able to explain why the conduct is unlikely to be repeated, the concern will likely go away.

Most adjudicators, whether in Security or in HR, look at the frequency and recency of concerning behavior.

A single DUI some time ago, with no other indicia of addictive or irresponsible behavior, is likely to be excused. The other driving-related charges are trivial and should pose no problems in this context. The unpaid debt, although a singular instance five years ago, may require explanation. The amount doesn't seem so large as to have been impossible to pay, and many people who owe larger sums manage to satisfy their debts through small payments over extended periods of time. You'll want to be prepared to explain why the debt remains unaddressed, as the issue suggests irresponsibility with respect to a legitimate obligation.

One caveat to all this is that you're speaking of a very small company, which may or may not have a sophisticated HR or Security function which takes a disciplined and consistent approach to adjudicating the results of background investigations. Larger companies usually have well-developed policies and are careful to apply defined standards in a consistent way. Smaller businesses should, but may not, approach these cases in the same manner.

Topic Author
adamsapple19

Post by adamsapple19 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:26 pm
When you applied, was there a question about arrests on the application? If so, did you answer honestly?

I believe in some states that question can no longer be asked. Perhaps your state is one that restricts such questions on applications.

OP, I would expect many of us could have been charged in similar activities, as some impaired levels are very low, I am one of those. Never got arrested, or stopped but I'm sure I could have been. BTW, I am actually glad the levels are so low, protects us all.

Hope for the best, sounds like a one-of you have taken to heart and learned from.

Hopefully it won't prevent you from getting this job. Best wishes.

Broken Man 1999
Yes, all questions answered honestly - FWIW the application didn't even include the typical question "Have you ever been convicted of a felony..."
Last edited by adamsapple19 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm

I do not handle dollars, but do work with sensitive information.
I'm am surprised that an arrest without conviction is allowed to stand. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

I would want to know that you are truthful, because I have to trust you, but the arrest would not stop me from hiring you.

I did hire someone who has a drunk boating conviction from when he was young.

Topic Author
adamsapple19

Post by adamsapple19 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Purdue wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 pm
As someone who works in a mid-size corp legal department and advises our HR dept. on these same questions from time-to-time, I would say this is something that would certainly be discussed with us at our company. However, in my state (and some others) an arrest record by itself cannot be used in making a hiring decision. The caveat to that is we can ask the candidate to explain the circustances of the arrest (and investigate seapartely) and make a determination on whether to hire based on that (but not the arrest record itself). Type and severity of the offense, time gone by since, position (A/R certainly handles $), and the age at the time are also factors considered. My advice is to be honest and candid if they ask about it, though they may not even do that. More often than not in my experience the candidate is not honest and forthcoming, and that ends up being the reason they are not hired.
I'm wondering if I should take the advice of some articles I've found on this topic, and reach out to them myself to explain ahead of time. My concern there though is that some time will have passed and I feel as if my window to make this connection/proactive explanation will have passed or diminished in effectiveness.

Any thoughts on this?
Last edited by adamsapple19 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:13 pm

We have had a president elected with a DWI on his record. I wouldn't worry about it.

Topic Author
adamsapple19

Post by adamsapple19 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm

GmanJeff wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:53 pm
There are two aspects to this. The first is whether you were truthful in responding to any related questions on your employment application and during the interview process. That is, it can often be the case that a lack of candor will torpedo you where the underlying issue otherwise would not.

The second consideration goes to the adjudicative standards used by the company in evaluating derogatory information. As noted previously, those can vary depending on the nature of the role applied for. For example, if the role involves handling money, financial irresponsibility, fraud and theft issues may be viewed more closely than other types of offenses. If not disqualifying on their face due to their gravity, you may be given an opportunity to explain the circumstances around any adverse reporting. If you take responsibility and are able to explain why the conduct is unlikely to be repeated, the concern will likely go away.

Most adjudicators, whether in Security or in HR, look at the frequency and recency of concerning behavior.

A single DUI some time ago, with no other indicia of addictive or irresponsible behavior, is likely to be excused. The other driving-related charges are trivial and should pose no problems in this context. The unpaid debt, although a singular instance five years ago, may require explanation. The amount doesn't seem so large as to have been impossible to pay, and many people who owe larger sums manage to satisfy their debts through small payments over extended periods of time. You'll want to be prepared to explain why the debt remains unaddressed, as the issue suggests irresponsibility with respect to a legitimate obligation.

One caveat to all this is that you're speaking of a very small company, which may or may not have a sophisticated HR or Security function which takes a disciplined and consistent approach to adjudicating the results of background investigations. Larger companies usually have well-developed policies and are careful to apply defined standards in a consistent way. Smaller businesses should, but may not, approach these cases in the same manner.
It is a small company however they have a proud tradition in the region. I sense strongly they wouldn't "miss" something, that they exercise their due diligence.
Last edited by adamsapple19 on Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 pm

adamsapple19 wrote:
I didn't lie on the application or resume - the background check will corroborate everything. It will show the good and the ugly.

I'm losing sleep over this - one person I talk to thinks I'm fine (because the accident was "old" and because there isn't any "big stuff" to be found). I wish I could share that person's optimism ... honestly I'm bracing myself for the worst.

Don't lose sleep over things you cannot control.

I seriously doubt there will be any problems. You'll learn the outcome soon enough. Meanwhile, sleep well.
Don't be a lemming.

Topic Author
adamsapple19

Post by adamsapple19 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:42 pm

JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 pm
adamsapple19 wrote:
I didn't lie on the application or resume - the background check will corroborate everything. It will show the good and the ugly.

I'm losing sleep over this - one person I talk to thinks I'm fine (because the accident was "old" and because there isn't any "big stuff" to be found). I wish I could share that person's optimism ... honestly I'm bracing myself for the worst.

I seriously doubt there will be any problems. You'll learn the outcome soon enough. Meanwhile, sleep well.
Just to be clear, when I said "one person I talk to thinks I'm fine"... this isn't someone who knows about this process or works in this field. That was her personal opinion. I just didn't want any confusion as if I talked to someone in the company or something...

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm

adamsapple19 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:42 pm
JoeRetire wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 pm
adamsapple19 wrote:

Just to be clear, when I said "one person I talk to thinks I'm fine"... this isn't someone who knows about this process or works in this field. That was her personal opinion. I just didn't want any confusion as if I talked to someone in the company or something...
I assumed this was just friendly advice from a friend.

Still - there is absolutely nothing you can do at this point. Losing sleep won't help.
I'd be surprised if there was any fallout from this background check, but you never really know. Just let whatever is going to happen, happen.
Try to relax.
Don't be a lemming.

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:15 pm

OP, I volunteer in legal aid, and currently assist attorneys in expungement and/or sealing of criminal records (which include arrests).

The procedures vary from state to state. In my state (IL), employers who request a criminal background check from the IL State Police (who maintain state records on this) will only see convictions, not arrests. Arrests and non-convictions can be expunged, which means case records are destroyed. Convictions for most (but not all types of cases) can be sealed - which means that most employers will not see the convictions if they request a report, except for employers who are required by law to obtain criminal background checks. My understanding is that police departments here don't release arrest information; however, court records for the county in which the case was heard will show most cases, whether or not there was a conviction.

I am not an attorney, but I've been assisting with this process for a while, which is why I think that the best thing for you to do would be to contact an attorney practicing in the county in which the charges occurred for help expunging and/or sealing your record. It looks like this is troubling you, and there are legal remedies that can provide peace of mind. It's possible to expunge and/or seal a criminal record without an attorney, but the process can be complex - what counts as a conviction, and which offenses can be sealed, etc. is not intuitive, but depends on state statutes, which is why I'd advise anyone to get legal advice. The process does take several months.

If you are worried about the cost of an attorney, we often have people apply for services who are not financially eligible, and we refer them to local attorneys who do not charge exorbitant fees for assisting with this. Often an initial consult with an attorney will be free of charge. An attorney - rather than an anonymous internet forum - would also be in a much better position to tell you whether or not you should be worried about your current situation, what questions employers are legally allowed to ask, and how you should answer questions concerning in your particular situation.

Good luck.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:16 pm

adamsapple19 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 pm
I'm wondering if I should take the advice of some articles I've found on this topic, and reach out to them myself to explain ahead of time.
I would not do that. There's a difference between hiding something vs not bringing it up because you weren't asked (and you weren't asked). Positions that handle money and/or sensitive information can have heightened standards for "moral turpitude" for lack of a better (or more modern) term but this shouldn't be a deal-breaker unless you handle it poorly.

If they run a criminal background check (mine included fingerprints) they'll just ask you to account for whatever turns up. As another poster said, short and sweet wins the day. Back when I still had to deal with my "indiscretion", I would say "charged" rather than "arrested" to possibly avoid making them picture me in handcuffs as in "In 2013, I was charged with X, I dealt with it in Y manner, and the charges were dismissed".

MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 pm

adamsapple19 wrote:
I'm wondering if I should take the advice of some articles I've found on this topic, and reach out to them myself to explain ahead of time.
Definitely do not do this. In all the people I've hired one immediately called me after accepting the offer with HR and went into long detail (like 30 mins) on what was going to be found. It wasn't anything of consequence but I immediately started wishing that it would turn up something of significance so I could resend the offer (what the person was bringing up was beyond trivial but thought that HR would pull the offer and was hoping I'd save him). Granted his case is an extreme example but that phone call was the first time I realized in multiple interviews with him that his employment with us was a huge mistake.

BL

Post by BL » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:30 pm

May I suggest, if you have received enough answers, you consider editing out your personal info and the job info on the off-chance that someone interested can look it up and make use of it. It is surprising what one can find on the internet when one starts searching it.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:04 pm

It depends on who is making the call. I wouldn't let that stop me from hiring an employee who I otherwise think is a good fit. Some will.

student

Post by student » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:18 pm

I don't know much about the law. But for dismissed charges, it should not be an issue. If the uninsured charge was a mistake, one should apply to have it expunge. (I don't understand why they would nor expunge a mistaken charge in your state.)
Last edited by student on Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 pm

Background checks generally only verify past employment, degrees, and look for criminal convictions. It is very, very unlikely they will even see the arrests. Companies can pay for hem to be included in a report, but as a general rule companies only receive very specific pass/fail data on the few data points they require. It isn’t like it’s a big dump if your entire history. It’s actually illegal to deny employment based solely on on an arrest. There are so many legal pitfalls here, only something egregious will cause an issue.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inq ... iction.cfm

You appear to have nothing to worry about.

And law varies by state, but in general you’ll have a legal right to respond.

student

Post by student » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:47 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:20 pm
Background checks generally only verify past employment, degrees, and look for criminal convictions. It is very, very unlikely they will even see the arrests. Companies can pay for hem to be included in a report, but as a general rule companies only receive very specific pass/fail data on the few data points they require. It isn’t like it’s a big dump if your entire history. It’s actually illegal to deny employment based solely on on an arrest. There are so many legal pitfalls here, only something egregious will cause an issue.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/inq ... iction.cfm

You appear to have nothing to worry about.

And law varies by state, but in general you’ll have a legal right to respond.
Good info.

GlacierRunner

Post by GlacierRunner » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:50 pm

A decade ago I worked in HR and routinely ran background checks.

At one employer, any negative on the credit report would prevent us from hiring. If you can resolve the collections account, do it today.

A past DWI arrest would not prevent hiring, but questions might be asked about the current status of your driver's license to make sure you can legally drive a corporate vehicle or a rental vehicle when traveling for work.

I would also recommend that you not bring any of this up before it is addressed to you. I recall one very awkward conversation with an academic who wanted to warn me about her FBI file from demonstrations in the '60s. We weren't looking at FBI files.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Clean up your credit report. Jobs in Accounts Receivables are not going to want someone with money issues.

My wife and I have worked in Financial Services for decades. I once had to fire someone who had stolen something inconsequential as a youth (a pack of cigarettes). It’s complicated, but HR felt that he hadn’t been forthcoming when answering questions about it. I objected to the firing, and was told that we would accept him if he had killed his grandmother with a shovel, but that he had committed “a crime of honor,” and that he had to be let go.

So, get rid of that credit blemish. Good luck.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Purdue

Post by Purdue » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am

adamsapple19 wrote:
Purdue wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 pm
I'm wondering if I should take the advice of some articles I've found on this topic, and reach out to them myself to explain ahead of time. My concern there though is that some time will have passed and I feel as if my window to make this connection/proactive explanation will have passed or diminished in effectiveness.

Any thoughts on this?
I agree with what others have said. I would wait to see if it even shows up and, if so, whether they even ask you about it.

J295

Post by J295 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:48 am

Wait it out.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:10 am

adamsapple19 wrote:
I was recently offered employment in an A/R capacity with a company < 150 employees. I would be the only one serving in this capacity in a small office. I have never undergone an employment background check.
You sound like a good person. I suspect your lack of response in applications is not due to your criminal/credit background.

We hire people all the time with blemishes on their record. Things go better if the person explains it in advance.

I think you're making this a much bigger deal than I would. And you really can't do anything about it either, other than pre-share information which has some positives and some negatives.

You're more likely to find a job with more skills and more inquiries. I could use a person like you - maybe - DM me.