Employer requesting increased travel

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Employer requesting increased travel

Post by lassevirensghost » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi all, have a question about a change my employer wants to make in my role at work.

I am a fundraiser at a liberal arts college. I used to be on faculty at a different university but left academia for a variety of reasons.

My particular pocket of the university has very ambitious plans to expand what they are doing with their programs and they want to drastically increase their budget (and hence revenue). Up to now, I have done a pretty good job. I am in the start of my third year here and have already brought in some not insignificant gifts. I don't think I am by any means indispensable, but I do know that they would struggle in the short term to replace me because of the difficulty of getting somebody to move to small town America, who is gifted in this kind of fundraising, and who understands the fairly unique culture of the center within the university that I work for.

Right now I travel about 4 nights a month. So basically a full week each month. I (32) and my wife (33) have a 4 and 2 year old at home. She works part-time.

A colleague has been approached and asked to start traveling; they currently do not. It is a small department and chatter gets around; he told me that management said in their meeting with him that they are going to ask me to increase my travel as well. In my view, this is not just hearsay. at a team meeting two weeks ago, the director of the center said that ideally, development officers would be on the road 50%. I think this is a bit overzealous and unrealistic, but that's what he wants. And it does mean that they are likely to come and talk to me about it.

So, my thing is that I want to go in the opposite direction. I desperately desire some work-life balance. I love my family and can't stand being away much more than I am. I have already been contemplating hopping back into academia because work travel is not something I ever necessarily wanted to do. But even if I were successful in making that transition, it could take several years due to the cyclical nature of the academic market. I would probably be applying in fall 2020 for jobs beginning in fall 2021. That means I am here, at least for the intermediate term.

The pay is good (better than a faculty member) but could be a bit better. LCOL area makes it really a non-issue. Main thing at this point is my student loans. Previous posts of mine dealing with how to do away with debt have been dealt with and I have increased my net worth by about $50k in two years, which is very good for me.

What could I do to make this situation a bit more palatable on my end when my bosses come and talk to me? I am afraid of putting an upper bound on travel that is below their expectation; I don't fear immediate consequences but I think it would really tick them off. I have been considering asking to be able to work remote more when I am not on the road; there is no precedent for that. We do have a few team members who work remote, but they have unique (academic) skill sets and live on the other side of the country. They are not fundraisers. The development team has a different mentality than other parts of the office.

Help! And thank you so much for your wisdom. I so appreciate this community.
“Groucho, how do you invest your money?” | “All in bonds.” | “But Groucho, they don’t pay much return.” | “They do when you have a lot of em!”

MotoTrojan

Re: Employer requesting increased travel

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:35 pm

If I were asked to go to 50% travel perpetually (I do this now at a start-up but it is sporadic and changing soon) I would push for 100% remote work the rest of the time. Also would that 50% mean two full weeks away, or 4-5 days on the road and they would fly you home every weekend? That makes a big difference for me, and I don't even have kids.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:49 pm

Traveling for work is soul sucking. I dont care how much you make...not worth your life. If you enjoy traveling for work, this doesnt apply.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:58 pm

As stated, you need to make a decision. Going from 25 to 50% travel is a 100% increase. I might want to figure out why one needs to travel, can you have the same impact with a video call for example? Or traveling only as needed to close a contributor?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:19 pm

You can certainly try to negotiate something more favorable, but unless you are willing to quit (or be fired) I don't see how you have much leverage. Employers change job responsibilities all the time, and you either adapt or move on.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:27 pm

When I started traveling more for work (going back many years when I did work out of an office) I started working from home more often when not traveling. If you are on the road for several days no one should fault you from working from home (provided you can do so efficiently) when you return. That's the compromise I'd go for - I'd say I'm willing to travel more if that's what the job now calls for but would like to make some family-time back by not having to travel into the office on other days.

Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:00 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:58 pm
As stated, you need to make a decision. Going from 25 to 50% travel is a 100% increase. I might want to figure out why one needs to travel, can you have the same impact with a video call for example? Or traveling only as needed to close a contributor?
I think many people, including the director of development, are of that opinion but do not want to contradict the director. Just this past spring (before this director started—he is new to the job), we had a big discussion about defraying costs by LIMITING travel to only those cases that made sense and truly added value.
“Groucho, how do you invest your money?” | “All in bonds.” | “But Groucho, they don’t pay much return.” | “They do when you have a lot of em!”

Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:01 pm

oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:19 pm
You can certainly try to negotiate something more favorable, but unless you are willing to quit (or be fired) I don't see how you have much leverage. Employers change job responsibilities all the time, and you either adapt or move on.
Touche. I am at a point where financially I may be able to be a bit more open with my preferences than in the past.

Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:02 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:49 pm
Traveling for work is soul sucking. I dont care how much you make...not worth your life. If you enjoy traveling for work, this doesnt apply.
Indeed it is.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm

You are a fundraiser. They want you to raise more money, and they think the way to do it is with more face time with potential donors. If you can raise more money without traveling I am sure they will be happy. But keep in mind that higher education has an infinite thirst for more money.

I suspect the only way to get off the treadmill is to go up a level, where your job is to tell other people to raise more money.

Post by 123 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:51 pm

It's time to seek alternate employment, either an alternate position at your current university or move on to something else. A fund-raising position elsewhere may involve similar travel prospects so maybe you've got to suck it up until you can implement a retreat to academia.

Curious what your most reliable pitch is. We've gotten far too many calls over the years from academic fund-raisers who want to "Just meet over coffee" to discuss alma mater.
Last edited by 123 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:52 pm

My opinion echoes others.

I've been travelling for work for several years (5 now) varying from 25% to 95%. I've quit the job that had increased demands.

Subsequently, my salary has increased by over 50% switching jobs, and I still dislike travelling 25% even with more pay. I'm also looking to get out. It crushes my desire to travel personally as well.

Unfortunately, your choices are limited. At least in my experience.

Asking for remote work would get one laughed out of the building.
Saying 'no' puts an X on your back, and you better be prepared to have another job lined up.

Conversely, having the employer tell you it's short term, or only 50% travel typically means "long term" and "greater than 50%" in terms of setting your expectations.

I hear you, best of luck with whatever you choose.

Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:02 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm
You are a fundraiser. They want you to raise more money, and they think the way to do it is with more face time with potential donors. If you can raise more money without traveling I am sure they will be happy. But keep in mind that higher education has an infinite thirst for more money.

I suspect the only way to get off the treadmill is to go up a level, where your job is to tell other people to raise more money.
True. I actually have been increasing my dollars in door with modest travel but a new campaign and new director has turned the culture of the department upside down. But I suspect you are right in any case.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:43 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 pm

That was my thought too. If you could raise more money without travel how would you do that? Be careful if your proposed answer is "social media" -- that might not involve travel but it could be staffing Facebook and Twitter 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 pm

I've never understood the travel that is done by some people considering all of the other communications means possible. We had guys traveling daily for meetings which could easily been done by phone or video conferences. It is like some managers just can't let go of old methods. Similar to managers who resist allowing employees work from home. I'm a big believer in giving someone tasks and conditions (schedule/budget) and let them do it. The good ones will be productive and the bad ones will be bad at home or in the office.

Personally I'd just be honest and say 50% is beyond what you want to do on a regular basis. If some emergency is there than you'd do it once in a while but otherwise use the available technologies to avoid that. And in the background start working on a transition (i.e., new job).

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 pm

rich126 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 pm
I've never understood the travel that is done by some people considering all of the other communications means possible. We had guys traveling daily for meetings which could easily been done by phone or video conferences. It is like some managers just can't let go of old methods. Similar to managers who resist allowing employees work from home. I'm a big believer in giving someone tasks and conditions (schedule/budget) and let them do it. The good ones will be productive and the bad ones will be bad at home or in the office.

Personally I'd just be honest and say 50% is beyond what you want to do on a regular basis. If some emergency is there than you'd do it once in a while but otherwise use the available technologies to avoid that. And in the background start working on a transition (i.e., new job).
I have decided some (majority) extensively travel to meetings as they have no other value in production than being somewhere or traveling somewhere else. Meeting complete with no decisions and no documentation? GREAT WORK!
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

indi

Post by indi » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:12 pm

If you have to travel more it will decrease their profitability and increase the carbon footprint associated with the university. I'd suggest pitching video teleconferences as an alternative. Many students are very aware of environmental issues and this would be one way that the school say they are focused on carbon footprint, in addition to Leeds certified building, which I hear about on almost every campus.

Recruiting is very difficult now and companies have to make a lot of concessions for skilled, knowledgeable workers. this is obvious, but if you want people in to work in a city, you have to pay them more than rural workers. If you want to retain an employee, work/life balance is critical.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:51 pm

lassevirensghost wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:29 pm
Right now I travel about 4 nights a month. So basically a full week each month. I (32) and my wife (33) have a 4 and 2 year old at home. She works part-time.
One great thing about being married is that you can blame your spouse.

Seriously just tell them that traveling more while you have two preschoolers at home will not work and that it would be too disruptive to wife and marriage and that wife said that she could not put up with you traveling that much.

They may not like it the choice would be changing their plans or firing you. As long as you still raise a lot more funds than your salary they would be "cutting off their nose to spite their face" to fire you.

Be sure that your wife is in the loop with this just in case she is asked about this at at some place like a Christmas party.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:09 pm

lassevirensghost wrote:
... development officers would be on the road 50%. I think this is a bit overzealous and unrealistic, but that's what he wants...
Any chance you can travel to places like Hawaii, Lisbon, Paris... Or anywhere your wife would like to visit?
If so, take her and the kids with you.

And ask for more money, or ask your compensation to be somehow tied to production, just like all sales jobs are.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:31 am

oldfatguy wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:19 pm
Since the guy I quoted had the temerity to take my most appropriate screen name :happy , I will have to agree.

You are in sales.
You need to meet with people that you wish to extract money from.
If you refuse to travel and produce $X, your boss will maintain that you could have produced 1.5 * $X if you would have traveled.
You have no quantitatively nor other objectively defensible position.
He has a number to meet to keep his job, your refusing to travel will appear as an impediment to meeting his goals and keeping his job.
Either travel more or expect to be eliminated.

retired early&luv it

Post by retired early&luv it » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:05 am

Years ago I quit a job to get a job with less travel. That new job, I was assured would be less than 20 percent travel but I was on travel over 35 percent of the time, quit that job after two years when I was offered another one. The next job was less than 20 percent travel and I stayed with that employer until I retired.

If you offer great value to your employer but they are unwilling to accept that on mutually beneficial terms, maybe the next employer will.

Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:04 am

Just 3 points:
1. Increased travel is a change in job scope, which means renegotiate your compensation package. High travel positions often come at a premium, ** do not let them slot you into it by default ** - not in this economy, no way. They’re delusional if they think a new hire will come on board, in today’s job market, in a small town, do great work with a high travel load and work for the pay of a lower travel position.

2. Negotiating the above details can buy you time if your decision is to bail. If there is budget for the travel, there is budget for the pay. Be strong!!!!

3. Assume 50% travel is going to crunch weekends (fly in/out on weekend to “make a meeting”). Also, recognize that the joys of airline delays will become a much more predominant part of your life.

If you can fundraise, you have highly marketable skills. Please do not feel you’re stuck just because of family, not wanting to move, financial goals, etc. You can find more lucrative, remote + travel with all the bells and whistles (if that’s what you’re willing to do) for larger organizations.

Sorry, I feel strongly about this one. Travel away from family is ok if you want to do it and are compensated for it. You *will not* get all that away time back, no matter how you slice it (driving, airports, delays, hotel stays...). You’ll be on the job, 24 hrs/day when away, because sitting in a hotel, eating yucky food (on academia’s budget no less :annoyed ) and breathing stale airplane air where every single person is sick :oops: ...is not what you would normally be doing with your free time. Ask for a big pay increase, because you’re going to need it for increased drs visits, more conveniences like take out at home because you’re wiped out etc etc. They need to pay you for the soul-sucking part :moneybag

Good luck.

ETA: Personally, I’ve never had any success convincing the leadership who is enamored of travel that alternate means of communication will suffice (and I kind of agree, for the beginning of a relationship, have a face to face if possible). Many University professor’s and staff in recruiting travel extensively to further their aims. Vs. corporate/industry, which has learned to cut costs and save time with video conferencing. Academia just doesn’t do it that way (yet).

Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am

Thank you everyone; this has given me a range of possible reactions to expect from management and given me a sense of what to expect, as well as what my options are. As I see it from the collective group:

1. I can duck my head or be let go.
2. I can negotiate knowing I could easily be let go.
3. I can negotiate banking on my being somewhat difficult to replace immediately
4. I should stall and look for another job.

I know that number one is not an option for me. So because I will counter in some form, I know I need to expect an adverse reaction on their end—to what degree I am not sure. I do not think they would just fire me. But they could start looking for someone else who can do the job without the needs I have.

I think my plan is to counter along the lines of remote work while not traveling and salary increase. But simultaneously I will start keeping my eyes open for new possibilities. Thank you, everyone. The range of responses and experiences is quite helpful.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:32 am

Preparing for the worst, I'd be ready for them to demand more travel. React by saying yes. Don't schedule travel. Find a new job. This gives you time vs you saying no, them walking you out the door and you being in a bind, trying to find a new job while unemployed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:21 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:32 am
Preparing for the worst, I'd be ready for them to demand more travel. React by saying yes. Don't schedule travel. Find a new job. This gives you time vs you saying no, them walking you out the door and you being in a bind, trying to find a new job while unemployed.
Tactical. Love it.

OP, a 100% increase in travel should be met with realistically a 35-50% increase in pay, depending on how highly you are currently paid. Two weeks a month on the road is very different than one - very different - even if it seems like it's just another week. You will have a really hard time developing any sort of routine on the homefront. You will constantly miss your childrens' events, even if you are super diligent (it's just a fact if you have a 1 in 2 chance of being in town on any given day). Scheduling a date night or socializing with friends will become increasingly difficult as your time away encroaches on your time in town, and then when you're in town you will become so exhausted from travel and no routines that you won't want to go do anything anyway.

Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks, you two. I am so glad to hear perspectives on the kind of pay increase that would be realistic. It gives a real sense of what kind of life-change I am looking at. and 8foot7, that is a very good point. This is the opposite of what I want.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:50 am

rich126 wrote:
It is like some managers just can't let go of old methods. Similar to managers who resist allowing employees work from home.
Its because before becoming a manager, they couldnt work from home or had to travel all the time. If they had to do it, now you have to do it! Thats the mentality.

I was once told by a director that the company took a survey of employees and they discovered that people do not like working from home. This was in Boston. Yep, instead they enjoy sitting in grid lock traffic day in/day out and working in an open office space.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am

The new culture in jobs, is "you can't ask me to do that", not " yes, sir". Adjust for the travel and either suck it up or look elsewhere. My SIL travels to multiple cities 2-4 days a week, almost every week. He has made VP in 4 yrs with a major company. My Daughter works fulltime, and they have a 3 yr old and a 9 mo old. It will pay off for them in a few years, but right now it is rough. My husband did not travel, but worked shift work for 30 yrs. Not much difference - gone at odd times. We all do what we have to do. Its the adult thing.

oldfatguy

Post by oldfatguy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:54 am

Lalamimi wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am
The new culture in jobs, is "you can't ask me to do that", not " yes, sir".
I don't think that's new at all, but if it was, it would be a positive development.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:32 am
Start looking for new job today. Op, don’t wait.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:50 am
rich126 wrote:
It is like some managers just can't let go of old methods. Similar to managers who resist allowing employees work from home.
Its because before becoming a manager, they couldnt work from home or had to travel all the time. If they had to do it, now you have to do it! Thats the mentality.

I was once told by a director that the company took a survey of employees and they discovered that people do not like working from home. This was in Boston. Yep, instead they enjoy sitting in grid lock traffic day in/day out and working in an open office space.
Probably true. Too many managers think they were successful by doing things a certain way and everyone else should have to follow in their shoes (come in at a certain time, dress a certain way, etc.). Those are the managers you want to avoid. I had a government manager who was pretty useless and he would complain when someone wanted to take extended vacation time off. I kept trying to point out that they had to use it up before the end of the year and they are either going to take it off in a big chunk or individual smaller chunks but it still adds up to the same time.

Topic Author
lassevirensghost

Post by lassevirensghost » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Lalamimi wrote:
The new culture in jobs, is "you can't ask me to do that", not " yes, sir". Adjust for the travel and either suck it up or look elsewhere. My SIL travels to multiple cities 2-4 days a week, almost every week. He has made VP in 4 yrs with a major company. My Daughter works fulltime, and they have a 3 yr old and a 9 mo old. It will pay off for them in a few years, but right now it is rough. My husband did not travel, but worked shift work for 30 yrs. Not much difference - gone at odd times. We all do what we have to do. Its the adult thing.
I’m not convinced being an absentee father with respectability is the adult thing.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:16 pm

rich126 wrote:

I've raised funds for a local capital campaign. Every large donation (in our case, large was >$10K) came after an in-person ask. Phone calls might yield a $1K donation at best, and most often less than that. Direct mail yielded a lot of $100/250 donations, but not nearly enough to equal what we got from those large donors. I about drowned in coffee, but meeting prospective donors in-person at a local coffee shop was far and away the most successful strategy.

I agree that travel is soul-sucking. I also know that my west coast university sends development reps on the road rather continuously - last year I had a home visit from one and a request for another home visit from another in the graduate program at the same university.

It might be time for another job.

NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:05 pm

lassevirensghost wrote:
Help! And thank you so much for your wisdom. I so appreciate this community.
I manage a moderate # of people. Sometimes we decide that their position needs to travel. Sometimes these folks tell me they can't or or won't travel.

When they tell us that, we sometimes are able to accommodate them. Sometimes we let them go.

If your liberal arts college decides that you get to keep your job if you travel, what will you do?

arf30

Post by arf30 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:21 pm

I once left a job that required a lot of travel for one that promised no travel (but not in writing - my mistake). After a few months the new job began increasingly requesting travel, so I played the sick family member card and immediately began job hunting. The strange thing was none of the travel at either job was important - it could have all been easily done via phone or video chat.

Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm

Lalamimi wrote:
Sounds horrible.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.

Freetime76

Post by Freetime76 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm

arf30 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:21 pm
I once left a job that required a lot of travel for one that promised no travel (but not in writing - my mistake). After a few months the new job began increasingly requesting travel, so I played the sick family member card and immediately began job hunting. The strange thing was none of the travel at either job was important - it could have all been easily done via phone or video chat.
Isn’t that funny? My previous travel job (known, pay was about 40% more due to a lot of travel) proved that a lot of trips were unnecessary. Same situation, started with a certain amount of travel, mostly drivable 1-3 day trips in my territory ... and morphed into international and coast-to-coast (US) due to losing people.
Travel can bounce a career forward. True.
Travel can advance team objectives with Face to Face meetings. True.
Travel will consume many many more days and hours than those you actually are away. True.
Many many jobs do not require travel. True.
Sales reps (or equivalent) will insist on the super, most-critical trip that absolutely must happen. You'll rearrange your life to attend and realize you could’ve done it via phone. Or you won’t go, and everything will be just fine. All true.

Hope these perspectives help the OP.