Paying for Medicare Via Monthly Social Security Distribution

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
muddlehead

Paying for Medicare Via Monthly Social Security Distribution

Post by muddlehead »

Forgive the confusing nature of this question. My wife turned 65 a few years ago. She was already receiving a monthly distribution check from social security at the time. It was seamless and easy to have the ~$135 medicare monthly charge come out of her monthly soc sec. Xould not have been easier.
I turn 65 August 2020. I don't take soc sec payments yet. I will start taking it Jan 1, 2020. The goal is, like my wife, have the monthly medicare charge come out of the soc sec distribution starting January 2021.
Here's my question/scenario. When I sign up for medicare, I'm five months from getting soc security checks. When I sign up for medicare in August 2020 - actually I think I sign up in May 2020 - is there a way I can write a check for 5 months x $135 and tell them to take the $135 from soc sec starting Jan 2021? Or, I'm guessing, there's another better way to do this?
Thanks in advance.
Silk McCue

Re: Paying for Medicare Via Monthly Social Security Distribution

Post by Silk McCue »

Yes. Your wording is a bit confusing. You state "I don't take soc sec payments yet. I will start taking it Jan 1, 2020" I think you mean that you will start taking SS in 2021 as that lines up with starting Medicare in August 2020 and then starting SS in 2021 although you state "take the $135 from soc sec starting Jan 2020". When you start Medicare you can set up payments. I am certain that when you setup Medicare they can walk you through the best option to take care of the first five months and then transition to your SS benefit as the source for payments. They handle this type of thing day in and day out.

If found this on the web for Medicare.

"You can choose to pay by check, money order, credit card or automatic electronic transfer from your checking or savings account. If paying three months of premiums at a time causes hardship, call Medicare's help line at 1-800-633-4227 to request an arrangement to pay monthly."

Cheers
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

Chance are the Medicare premiums will start to be taken from you Social Security benefits when the Social Security Administration usually does so. You will likely have no choice about the starting month. Any payments you made ahead of time will be refunded to you sometime after the starting month.
spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

Muddlehead,

I first enrolled in Medicare in early 2017 and was not enrolled in Social Security at the time.

I arranged to pay the Medicare premium through a monthly debit to my checking account (can't recall the process but info is readily available from SS). * See note below

I applied for a spousal SS benefit in March, 2019. As I recall, that benefit began in July, 2019 with the first payment in August.

My monthly Medicare debit ended without my taking any action and the premium was deducted from my SS payment beginning with the first payment in August.

Note: My monthly Medicare premium actually ended a month (or maybe two) before my first SS payment. I noticed that and called SS to alert them to the missed payment. They didn't give me a clear answer of why this happened but said that things would be fixed (my word) when I began receiving my SS payments. Sure enough, the first months SS payment included a double Medicare premium deduction.

I didn't fully understand the sequencing of all this because I'm not sure which month's Medicare premium a given months SS payment pays, but at least in my situation this all happened pretty seamlessly.

Alternative payment note: Although for most of time prior to receiving a SS benefit I paid the Medicare premium via a monthly debit to my checking account I started out differently. Initially SS would send me a quarterly invoice and I'd send payment (by check if memory serves). That worked well and may be a better fit for your circumstances given the short time between your beginning Medicare and beginning SS.

Best of luck,

S
AAA

Post by AAA »

Spouse waited until 66 to collect Soc. Sec. She was paying quarterly Medicare bills until then. When Soc. Sec. started, and without our requesting it, she received a reimbursement for two months of Medicare as premiums for those months were going to be deducted from Soc. Sec. But they withheld tax from the reimbursement as if it were a Soc. Sec. payment. Still trying to resolve that.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Just pay what the government says to pay, when they say to pay it.

No earlier. No later.

No more. No less.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
Topic Author
muddlehead

Post by muddlehead »

Thanks all for the replies. Should be an easy solution. Not going to worry about it anymore. Take care.