Feds FEHB Open Season: Checkbook 2020 up and running

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Tdubs

Feds FEHB Open Season: Checkbook 2020 up and running

Post by Tdubs »

For those feds with access to Checkbook, the 2020 comparisons are now online.

In the DC area, it shows GEHA HDHP and Kaiser as the clear favorites. Carefirst has lost a step from last year.
tj

Re: Feds FEHB Open Season: Checkbook 2020 up and running

Post by tj »

It's telling me that NALC CDHP, APWU CDHP and MHBP are all better options for me than GEHA HDHP for low usage.

NALC remains cheapest for average usage (2nd cheapest is GEHA, difference of $40)

GEHA HDHP is the cheapest for high usage and has the lowest out of pocket max.

I'm moving to California which has some annoying HSA taxation, should I try the CDHP or stick with GEHA?

The GEHA probably is the most cost efficient when you consider the dental and vision freebies that they throw in.

Kaiser Permanente has lower premiums and a much lower out of pocket max, but I wouldn't be able to enroll in that since I'm not in CA yet.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

I believe that Checkbook only considers the direct plan benefits, not any additional savings you would get from your own contributions to an HSA. This makes HDHPs more attractive than CDHPs (consumer driven health plans which do not qualify as HDHPs, usually using a high deductible with a Health Reimbursement Agreement).

Likewise, you need to consider the potential value of an FSA. (You can use one even with a HDHP; it would be a Limited Expense FSA usable only for dental and vision.)

Even in CA, you get a significant benefit from the HSA; you can deduct the contributions from your federal tax, and if you invest your HSA in TIPS or other Treasury bonds, the interest is exempt from state tax. (However, as a federal employee, you might choose instead to invest the HSA in an index fund with a low tax cost, and hold all your bonds in the TSP G fund.)
Wiki David Grabiner
fedpharmer

Post by fedpharmer »

Tdubs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am In the DC area, it shows GEHA HDHP and Kaiser as the clear favorites. Carefirst has lost a step from last year.
Why is Carefirst lower this year?
Topic Author
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

fedpharmer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:14 am
Tdubs wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:31 am In the DC area, it shows GEHA HDHP and Kaiser as the clear favorites. Carefirst has lost a step from last year.
Why is Carefirst lower this year?
Notice I started this thread in 2019. As I recall, Carefirst seemed to have a clear advantage over GEHA HDHP in 2018, but Checkbook flipped the advantage to GEHA last year. Can't remember why.
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

not in DC area - live in Richmond area and on Medicare A&B. Anyone have recommendations for open season? Looking at the Aetna Medicare Advantage program for retirees but not certain of this - its cost is only $275 a month and it also gives back $900 each.
Had BCBS basic for years but its gone up. They do give back $800 for medicare for each of us.
Have read other posts where Aetna Direct is recommended - coverage looks similar to BCBS basic.
The other thing I plan to do is get a dental supplemental plan - likely the BCBS self only as I am facing some dental work. Not sure how complicated it will be if I switch the health plan to another carrier and apply for the BCBS dental fedvip.
Is subscribing to the Checkbook worth it? I have carefully checked each brochure on the comparison website and start getting crosseyed after a while.
Have to go out of the website to see if the doc is in network, etc.
The only other good thing about BCBS basic is that I can earn incentive dollars to go on the debit card they give you.