Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
Plz
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by Plz » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 pm

I’m trying to do the math for a move and see if it would be worthwhile and would love to get some budget data from single people or DINKs (double income no kids) who live in high cost of living or very high cost of living areas. If you wouldn’t mind sharing ballpark numbers, I would really appreciate it.

My monthly cost estimates:
Rent: $1500-2000
Utilities: $100-150
Internet/cable: $100
Cellphone: $50
Transportation: $250-350
Grocery: $200-300
Eating out: $300-500
Entertainment: $0-500

surfstar
Posts: 1797
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by surfstar » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:11 am

I'll ballpark it, for Santa Barbara, CA, 2 person household:

Rent: $2800-3500 (pretty basic 2br at that price, actually) Our actual # for a 2/2 condo is ~$3800 mo, includes HOA, mortgage, taxes and 1% towards maint.
Utilities: $170
Internet: $70
Cellphone: $50
Transportation: $750-900 (own 2 newer cars - this is all in TCO, ins, fuel, depr. etc etc)
Grocery: $300-350
Eating out: $50-100 (we don't each out much)
Entertainment: $0-200

J295
Posts: 2129
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by J295 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:23 am

San Francisco daughter and son-in-law pay $4000 per month for unfurnished one bedroom. Renewal/new rents are now going for around $4500 per month.

South of San Francisco son is back on temporary assignment in a furnished unit for a few months, and I believe those two bedroom units rent for around $5500 per month.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3526
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:49 am

Unless you are sharing an apartment, that is very low rent for VHOCL

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 21356
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:04 am

Cellphone, Groceries, Entertainment and Eating Out - all too low. Your rent number? I guess if you are leasing space in a closet or will have multiple roommates. A 3 bedroom in a walk up, no elevator, no doorman building in NYC could cost about $4K. Groceries are not inexpensive, everything you buy in NYC has a huge markup to cover the cost of rent and city taxes. You might get a Metrocard for $200, take one taxi or Uber and you just blew your budget. Entertainment can be cheap but go to a few shows and there goes the budget.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

muffins14
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:14 am

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by muffins14 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:46 am

In NYC:
Rent a nice one bedroom: $4000 Total, split between us
My expenses roughly:
Dinner/brunch/drinks out: $700-800
Travel: average to $6000 per year or $500/ mo
Groceries: $200-300
Entertainment: $200
Transportation: $100
Utilities (gas,internet,cable): $100-$150
Phone: $100
Other misc for household: $100

User avatar
simplesimon
Posts: 3422
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:53 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by simplesimon » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:03 am

Plz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 pm
I’m trying to do the math for a move and see if it would be worthwhile and would love to get some budget data from single people or DINKs (double income no kids) who live in high cost of living or very high cost of living areas. If you wouldn’t mind sharing ballpark numbers, I would really appreciate it.

My monthly cost estimates:
Rent: $1500-2000
Utilities: $100-150
Internet/cable: $100
Cellphone: $50
Transportation: $250-350
Grocery: $200-300
Eating out: $300-500
Entertainment: $0-500
This looks like a budget for a single person who has a roommate or two. Not a DINK budget.

User avatar
LiveSimple
Posts: 1382
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 am

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by LiveSimple » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 am

simplesimon wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:03 am
Plz wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:58 pm
I’m trying to do the math for a move and see if it would be worthwhile and would love to get some budget data from single people or DINKs (double income no kids) who live in high cost of living or very high cost of living areas. If you wouldn’t mind sharing ballpark numbers, I would really appreciate it.

My monthly cost estimates:
Rent: $1500-2000
Utilities: $100-150
Internet/cable: $100
Cellphone: $50
Transportation: $250-350
Grocery: $200-300
Eating out: $300-500
Entertainment: $0-500
This looks like a budget for a single person who has a roommate or two. Not a DINK budget.
Missing is the taxable investment line item :sharebeer

arf30
Posts: 598
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:55 am

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by arf30 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:47 am

NYC suburb:

Mortgage + taxes: 3000
HOA: 300
Utilities: 200
Services (phone, internet, streaming, security etc): 200
Groceries (Whole Foods): 500
Eating Out/Social: 600
Transportation (2 cars, 1 paid off, gas, tolls, insurance, lease): 700
Travel: 500 averaged out
Misc household (furniture, appliances, electronics, decoration, repairs, renovations): 1000 averaged out
Clothes, hair, nails etc: Probably 500


Seems high when I type it all out, but we've got plenty of breathing room and in case of job loss we could probably make some deep cuts.

fasteddie911
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by fasteddie911 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:07 am

Between the MCOL and HCOL areas I've lived in, most notable differences were in housing and transportation. HCOL public transit was better and utilized more, at some points we didn't own a car, so transportation costs were lower. Rent for a 1br were in the $2k range, but of course can vary greatly depending on neighborhood and quality of housing.

SDLinguist
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by SDLinguist » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:08 am

Looking at mint, this year we average $5500-6000 spend a month including rent. That leaves us with about $1,500-2,000 left over ever month from our yearly ~90k take home. Like the terrible everything killing millennials we are, we consiously avoid buying stuff and instead spend money on experiences, which is why our entertainment budget is so high and 'shopping' is lumped into the bits and bobs. We don't track spending too closely but in San Diego:

Rent: 1975 <- killer deal, like 6-700 under current market for large almost 900sqft 1 bedroom in the northern part of the city of SD itself.
Utilities: $225, internet included. I count internet as a utility nowadays
Groceries: $500
Eating out/Entertainment/Travel: $1500
Cars: $550 (loan, insurance, gas, maintenance) though this will go up soon. We decided we are allowed one bad financial decision in our 20's so while my wife is still 29 we are replacing one of our cars with a Laguna Beach Blue M2 - one off lease so we let someone else eat the first 35% of depreciation but still objectively not a smart financial decision. Thankfully my wife is a gear head and it will end up being her DD probably.
Phones: $125
Personal trainer: $500
Random bits and bobs: $250-500 <-medical, shopping, etc

Fortunately we are very lucky for a couple who both just turned or will still turn 30 this year in that we started with very little student loan debt (only ~15k from my wife) and large savings. I had about $5k to my name when I finished my masters but my wife had saved up close to $50k from working since she was 16. We have also doubled our combined gross income in the last 4 years from about 90k to close to 200k. This is also why I am a preacher of 'pay yourself first'. If we didn't save a bunch of money right out of our paychecks into 401k, HSA, ESPP etc we would probably be saving much much less and spending much much more!

stan1
Posts: 7555
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by stan1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:33 am

Here's some thoughts. You need to separate out whether your budget is for one person or two people.

Rent - likely very low if you want a covered parking spot, in unit washer/dryer, and safer neighborhood. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a small landlord who highly values a stable tenant. You might find something that low in a 50-70 year old building with street parking, no air conditioning, and no w/d or in an APU in the owner's back yard. In my coastal area you can get a newer studio with on-site parking and washer/dryer in the $2300/month range. Two bedrooms would be in the $3500-4000 range. More still if you want an assigned parking space.

Mobile phone - keep your current plans in most cases so use actuals.

Utilities - varies by location, but could be over $200 in areas with high electric and water rates (e.g. Southern CA)

Transportation - gas prices are easy to find on the internet as are transit pass prices.

Grocery - what is your current monthly spend? $300/person may be doable if you are focused on low cost food and have a car and time to drive around to multiple stores to pick it up.

Eating out - It is very possible to get a large portion of tasty Chinese, Thai or Lebanese food in my area for $15 that can be turned into 2 or 3 meals (pickup yourself, not delivery). A few years ago could be done for $10 but much harder to do that now.

Overall I think your numbers are on the low side, especially if you are looking at two people not one person.

User avatar
9-5 Suited
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by 9-5 Suited » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:39 am

arf30 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:47 am
NYC suburb:

Mortgage + taxes: 3000
HOA: 300
Utilities: 200
Services (phone, internet, streaming, security etc): 200
Groceries (Whole Foods): 500
Eating Out/Social: 600
Transportation (2 cars, 1 paid off, gas, tolls, insurance, lease): 700
Travel: 500 averaged out
Misc household (furniture, appliances, electronics, decoration, repairs, renovations): 1000 averaged out
Clothes, hair, nails etc: Probably 500


Seems high when I type it all out, but we've got plenty of breathing room and in case of job loss we could probably make some deep cuts.
As usual it’s all relative. I don’t think there’s any reason to feel sorry or like it’s too high. You make a great living and spend accordingly. The budget of a struggling lower income American would seem extravagant to a large percentage of the global population.

Our budget in overall dollars and category allocation is very similar to yours in downtown Chicago. All in housing outflow is about the same but with more in HOA and less in the PITI. We’ve got an older paid off car and public transit, so that transportation budget shifts into vacation/clothes.

cncm
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by cncm » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:06 am

In NYC, it depends on whether you want to live in Manhattan or the hip parts of Brooklyn (if so, expect to pay ~$4k in rent per month for a 1br), or you’re okay living in other, by no means bad, boroughs or neighborhoods. For example, it’s totally doable to get a 1br in Astoria, Sunnyside, or further out parts of Brooklyn/Queens for ~$2k. I’m not too familiar with the Bronx but would imagine it’s even cheaper.

For transportation, a subway card costs you $130/month which can take you anywhere you want to go, often faster than by cab/Uber.

Groceries/utilities/ other costs may be marginally higher but nothing like rent. Just factor in 20% premium to whatever you’re currently spending.

Topic Author
Plz
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by Plz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks all for the replies, will adjust the budget accordingly.

Sandi_k
Posts: 1095
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 pm

Ours, for the outer SF Bay area:

Mortgage (P&I) $2,355
Taxes & Insurance: $850
Comcast $125
Gas & Electric $125
Water $14
Garbage $30
Cell phones: $105, 3 lines (2 phones, 1 iPad)
Auto Insurance: $320
Housekeeper $150
Gardener $65
Groceries $350
Costco $225
Eating Out $300
Entertainment $50
Pet and Vet $50
Gas $300
Hardware $100
Personal: haircuts, manicures, massages, etc: $100
Medical: $400 premium, $110 FSA
Savings for vacations, emergency fund, car repairs: $1000
Taxes: $2100 Fed, $800 state
Retirement savings: $3200

All retirement savings and health insurance premiums are paid pre-tax, as is a pre-tax FSA of $1400 annually.

MathIsMyWayr
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm
Location: CA

Re: Singles/DINKs in HCOL/VHCOL areas, can you please share your budget?

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:05 am

Sandi_k wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 pm
Ours, for the outer SF Bay area:

Mortgage (P&I) $2,355
Taxes & Insurance: $850
Comcast $125
Gas & Electric $125
Water $14
Garbage $30
Cell phones: $105, 3 lines (2 phones, 1 iPad)
Auto Insurance: $320
Housekeeper $150
Gardener $65
Groceries $350
Costco $225
Eating Out $300
Entertainment $50
Pet and Vet $50
Gas $300
Hardware $100
Personal: haircuts, manicures, massages, etc: $100
Medical: $400 premium, $110 FSA
Savings for vacations, emergency fund, car repairs: $1000
Taxes: $2100 Fed, $800 state
Retirement savings: $3200

All retirement savings and health insurance premiums are paid pre-tax, as is a pre-tax FSA of $1400 annually.
How can you keep water bill as low as $14/mon in the Bay area? Mine is many times yours.

Post Reply