Name of estate on Computershare Form?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Eleanor852

Name of estate on Computershare Form?

Post by Eleanor852 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:31 pm

I might be making too big a deal of this, but I have already obtained an EIN for my mom's estate (of which I am executor). It shows as "Jane Doe Estate". Mom had some shares of stock (no beneficiaries listed). There are 4 heirs. I am filling out the Computershare form to have the shares transferred to her estate. Do I fill it out as "Estate of Jane Doe", or just "Jane Doe Estate". Just want to make sure I am doing this right. Thanks!

Silk McCue

Re: Name of estate on Computershare Form?

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:26 pm

My condolences for your loss.

It may not matter but there is not reason not to match the name used for the EIN.

Cheers.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm

I have no particular knowledge just anecdotal experience. Some entities will give instructions as to how the want it written, particularly taxing authorities. Otherwise, I would just use Jane Doe Estate. You might find the statements come back titled as you specified or that they have switched it around to whatever standard they use.

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 pm

I recently been working with Computershare on stock transfer after the death of my father. I'd just call and ask the rep and just re-ask for clarity. So far they've been helpful.

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm

FWIW. I was an executor a couple times and used the same title as on the EIN for the Estate on all transactions including tax returns: Jane Doe Estate. No Issues.