Secondary Dental Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
corysold

Secondary Dental Insurance

Post by corysold » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:55 pm

I started a new job that offers full health benefits. My wife had the benefits and we are trying to decide if it is worth keeping her dental insurance.

It seems hard to determine what the secondary (Mine would be for kids based on birthday rule), so I called the fund office where the dental claims run through for my insurance.

The secretary informed me that after the primary paid (85% of bill in my wife's insurance case), my insurance would then kick in and pay 80% (my insurance's copay) of the remaining 15%.

For orthodontics, my wife has a lifetime max of $1500. Mine is $2,000. I was told the secondary would pay 80% of the remaining after the $1500 from my wife's plan, up to an additional $2000.

All of this sounds somewhat too good to be true and not what I'd been finding online regarding the topic. Does anyone else have secondary dental that works this way, or was I given bad information? It's $40 a month to keep my wife's dental so we are trying to decide if it is worth it.

CAsage

Re: Secondary Dental Insurance

Post by CAsage » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Both my kids had braces, and we were lucky enough to have double coverage from our two employers. Yes, especially for kids dental they ended up covering a much bigger chunk of braces and dental surgery (one child had teeth pulled before braces, the other wisdom teeth later). And between the two they also covered all the biannual cleanings. I would for sure keep it for the braces years (paid over 2 years).
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

rterickson

Re: Secondary Dental Insurance

Post by rterickson » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:26 pm

Procedures such as root canals, bridges and crowns are often only covered 50%, so if you have dual coverage your out of pocket is nearly nothing.