New tables for required distributions

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
bsteiner

New tables for required distributions

Post by bsteiner » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:12 pm

The IRS has proposed new tables for required distributions from retirement plans and IRAs, effective in 2021: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspect ... -24065.pdf. The new tables reflect the increase in life expectancy since the current tables were issued.

Dottie57

Re: New tables for required distributions

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:32 pm

So it looks like bigger divisors and therefore smaller RMDs.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm

This just lists the new life expectancy tables, not the resulting RMD tables. Where are the RMD tables? I guess it's just simple math to get the RMD's. :oops:
Don't do something, just stand there!

Topic Author
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm

corn18 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm
This just lists the new life expectancy tables, not the resulting RMD tables. Where are the RMD tables? I guess it's just simple math to get the RMD's. :oops:
As you do now, you would calculate your RMD by dividing your account balance by the appropriate divisor for your age.

There are separate tables for IRA owner, beneficiaries, and IRA owners with spouse beneficiaries more than 10 years younger.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:36 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:57 pm
corn18 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:34 pm
As you do now, you would calculate your RMD by dividing your account balance by the appropriate divisor for your age.

There are separate tables for IRA owner, beneficiaries, and IRA owners with spouse beneficiaries more than 10 years younger.
The face slap was for me, I was being stupid. Thanks for the heads up and link. Helps with planning Roth conversions and taxes.
Don't do something, just stand there!

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:37 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:12 pm
The IRS has proposed new tables for required distributions from retirement plans and IRAs, effective in 2021: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspect ... -24065.pdf. The new tables reflect the increase in life expectancy since the current tables were issued.
Have not read all 122 pages, but I hope that the proposed rule will actually take effect in 2021.

I wonder which tables those already on the old RMD tables will be allowed to use. My relatives will be very happy to be required to withdraw less.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Only read up to page 22, but the proposed changes aren't substantial enough for an individual to accumulate that much more or pay that much less in taxes on withdrawals. What is a 0.21% decrease in age 70.5 RMD? It's not that significant. The other interesting thing to note is the example that someone aged 70 is only expected to make it to age 90? If that's true, then all those Bogleheads planning to age 100 had better reconsider those restrictive SWR's they've been planning with.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

FIREchief

Post by FIREchief » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Thanks for posting this Bruce.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:27 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:12 pm
Thanks for posting this Bruce.

Does anyone know when the last time was that these tables were updated? I believe that the age 70 divisor has been 27.4 for as long as I've been paying attention to these tables, but I haven't thought too much about it until recently. Does our government update the tables ever year? Every five years? Or is there any regular pattern to it?
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:31 pm

April 2002.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:04 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:31 pm
April 2002.
Thanks.

19 years between updates! So I can reasonably expect that the new tables will be in place for my remaining lifetime (presuming that they're approved).

I can now "hard code" the new factors into my retirement income spreadsheet. :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Remember that this a proposal posted in the Federal Register; the IRS is seeking public comments on changing the tables.

While I imagine it is highly likely that the tables will be adopted, they should be considered preliminary for planning purposes.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:23 pm

As delamer has pointed out, this is a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking by the IRS, that has been published for public comment. As such, it falls within to the exceptions of the generally 'no politics' forum policy. See the Forum Policies rules#rule-4a
Politics and Religion

In order to avoid the inevitable frictions that arise from these topics, political or religious posts and comments are prohibited. The only exceptions to this rule are:
Common religious expressions such as sending your prayers to an ailing member.
Usage of factual and non-derogatory political labels when necessary to the discussion at hand.
Discussions about enacted laws or regulations that affect the individual investor. Note that discussions of proposed laws or regulations are prohibited.
Proposed regulations that are directly related to investing may be discussed if and when they are published for public comments.