Amica - Auto Policy, only 6 months

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
grenadaRocks

Amica - Auto Policy, only 6 months

Post by grenadaRocks »

I was renewing my policy, and Amica tells me they now only do it 6 months at a time. This is company wide.

They tell me customers asked for this because it would give more people a chance to get the paid-in-full discount. I don't believe that.....more likely they have a second chance to adjust rates.

Anyone else hearing the same? This really bothers me.
Random Poster

Re: Amica - Auto Policy, only 6 months

Post by Random Poster »

Yes. Amica went to 6-month only auto policies in GA and TX. Possibly in other states too.

I'm sure that Amica made the change so that they can increase their rates in a more timely manner.

That said, I'm not sure who still offers 1-year auto policies anymore.
Gill

Post by Gill »

They're all doing the same. I remember when a three-year homeowner's policy could be written. No longer.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
wisevermilion

Post by wisevermilion »

I am in TX and we got switched to 6-month terms on auto.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

liberty mutual did one year auto in GA this year
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

My AMICA policies renewed as recently as August, and nothing changed. Michigan.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Our MetLife auto insurance renewed for a year in March of this year.

So, there are a few companies out there, though mine might not offer a 12 month policy when I renew in March, 2020. :confused

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
sarahjane

Post by sarahjane »

NJ are 6 mos.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

I am in Oregon and they did the same, took the yearly option away.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Travelers renewed my auto insurance for 1 year recently. They offer a decent discount (can’t recall %) for paying the full 1-year premium at renewal.
erictiger12

Post by erictiger12 »

Just saw my auto policy online and it’s for 6 months now. I am in Illinois.
SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B »

Random Poster wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:03 pm
Erie does, or at least as of July they did.
Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee »

I think they all do that now.

A little off topic, but I have always read great things about Amica. Having said that, their rates are never competitive. I have great credit and a clean driving record.

What am I missing?
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Just renewed mine November 1 with AAA. One year policy.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Turkishcoffee wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 pm I think they all do that now.

A little off topic, but I have always read great things about Amica. Having said that, their rates are never competitive. I have great credit and a clean driving record.

What am I missing?
Price is not everything. AMICA's service blows away most companies.

I compared AMICA and USAA years ago. For all my policies, they totalled the same.

I've had AMICA for 39 years.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Geico switched from 12 to 6 month policies many years ago. I was annoyed at the time, but I got over it. You will, too.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:50 am Geico switched from 12 to 6 month policies many years ago. I was annoyed at the time, but I got over it. You will, too.
GEICO, in general, is a non-standard company, and, as such, its rate structure tends to appeal to higher risk customers (fairly young, fairly old, violations/accidents, etc...), although it can also be competitive for other types of customers. It is one of the better non-standard companies out there though, but still does not offer any of the policy features that are frequently offered by some of the companies that target preferred and ultra preferred customers. So, for instance, it will not pay for OEM parts even on brand new vehicles (insurance companies specializing in preferred and ultra preferred customers typically use OEM parts for 2-3 year old vehicles; many also offer optional endorsements that allow you to contractually guarantee OEM parts), etc... GEICO is an auto-insurance company; on the homeowner's side, they act as an independent agent and sell third party companies' policies and offer a slight rebate that they apply to their auto policy, which they call a multi-policy discount, so, since the homeowner's policy is not actually a GEICO policy, you don't save much money by bundling your policies with them. There isn't really anything wrong with GEICO, and I wouldn't avoid them, but preferred and ultra preferred customers, particularly those with higher end vehicles and those who are homeowners, can typically obtain better contractual coverage through some of the other carriers.

The very reason that GEICO only offers 6-month policies is because it is a non-standard insurance company that primarily (although not exclusively) targets higher risk drivers, so they want to be able to quickly raise your rates or non-renew you that much faster. Although Amica is a standard company, the reason that they're now switching to 6 month policies is exactly the same, as they want to be able to increase your rates or non-renew you that much faster.

There are still quite a few companies that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers that do offer 12 month policies.
tj

Post by tj »

Indeed. I believe my auto owners policy is 12 months. They have great reviews, I haven't had any issues but I haven't had to file a claim.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Mapfre assumes you want to pay monthly. I pay online and get the discount for paying in full. They still do it a full year at a time.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

What am I missing?
Same experience here-----clean record and excellent credit rating and Amica has never even "come close" to offering a competitive rate, either auto or home.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

1 year policy----Arizona, AARP/Hartford.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Brewman

Post by Brewman »

SchruteB&B wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:17 pm
Erie does, or at least as of July they did.
Yes to Erie also on one year policy as of Oct 2019
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

UALflyer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:50 am Geico switched from 12 to 6 month policies many years ago. I was annoyed at the time, but I got over it. You will, too.
GEICO, in general, is a non-standard company, and, as such, its rate structure tends to appeal to higher risk customers (fairly young, fairly old, violations/accidents, etc...), although it can also be competitive for other types of customers. It is one of the better non-standard companies out there though, but still does not offer any of the policy features that are frequently offered by some of the companies that target preferred and ultra preferred customers. So, for instance, it will not pay for OEM parts even on brand new vehicles (insurance companies specializing in preferred and ultra preferred customers typically use OEM parts for 2-3 year old vehicles; many also offer optional endorsements that allow you to contractually guarantee OEM parts), etc... GEICO is an auto-insurance company; on the homeowner's side, they act as an independent agent and sell third party companies' policies and offer a slight rebate that they apply to their auto policy, which they call a multi-policy discount, so, since the homeowner's policy is not actually a GEICO policy, you don't save much money by bundling your policies with them. There isn't really anything wrong with GEICO, and I wouldn't avoid them, but preferred and ultra preferred customers, particularly those with higher end vehicles and those who are homeowners, can typically obtain better contractual coverage through some of the other carriers.

The very reason that GEICO only offers 6-month policies is because it is a non-standard insurance company that primarily (although not exclusively) targets higher risk drivers, so they want to be able to quickly raise your rates or non-renew you that much faster. Although Amica is a standard company, the reason that they're now switching to 6 month policies is exactly the same, as they want to be able to increase your rates or non-renew you that much faster.

There are still quite a few companies that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers that do offer 12 month policies.
We moved to Mass. from Michigan in May, so I shopped for new policies. Geico was substantially cheaper than others, even one recommended by an independent agent. They started quoting 6 months, but when I told them I wanted a one year policy (like I had from AAA) they said they could do that, because Massachusetts law requires them to offer an annual policy. Price was exactly double the 6 month cost.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "non-standard." I have an excellent record, driving and credit both, and got what I found as an excellent rate. THIS time - I expect it will go up upon renewal. I'm not bothered by the potential use of non-OEM parts on my 4 year old Subaru. And BTW, the bundled renters/auto/umbrella package was still a good price even with the fact that Geico doesn't actually write the non-auto policies.
snowman

Post by snowman »

I am in CO. When I was making changes to my existing policy back in May, agent I spoke with told me Amica is switching from 1 year to 6 month policy in the fall. Sure enough, my renewal is now 6 months.
Direwolf14

Post by Direwolf14 »

UALflyer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am There are still quite a few companies that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers that do offer 12 month policies.
Hi UALflyer. I know that insurance is regional to some extent, but could you please list a few national carriers that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers? Thanks.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

UALflyer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am

I am with Geico and every time I think to switch to Amica or NJM, the quotes are double!
Would you please elaborate on what you mean by "Standard Vs non-standard"? Also what is "preferred and ultra-preferred customers"? Thanks.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

BogleMelon wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pmI am with Geico and every time I think to switch to Amica or NJM, the quotes are double! Would you please elaborate on what you mean by "Standard Vs non-standard"? Also what is "preferred and ultra-preferred customers"? Thanks.
Excellent questions.

Here's a brief explanation of standard vs. non-standard insurance:
https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-guid ... insurance/
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insuran ... ce-quotes/

People shouldn't be insulted by the "non-standard insurance" label, as it absolutely does not have to mean that they are bad drivers. In fact, a lot of them have impeccable driving records, but it's not all about that, as many other things impact whether a non-standard insurance company may offer attractive rates in your situation.

Certain insurance companies out there just specialize primarily in non-standard insurance. GEICO and Progressive are two of the best known non-standard insurance companies out there. The issue with non-standard companies is the fact that their focus on primarily higher risks policies means that their policies and policyhandling reflect this. I mentioned some of the issues with GEICO's policies above. The point isn't to avoid GEICO, but to say that preferred policyholders' experience would tend to be better with a number of other carriers.

For whatever reason, Amica tends to be highly recommended on this forum. In reality, it is a fine mainstream carrier, but, depending on your insurance profile, there are often far better insurance companies that offer significantly better contractual features, better claims handling and lower pricing. For instance, the owners of upscale (depends on the state and the company, but typically $500K+ or $750K+ in dwelling coverage) and high value (depends on the state and the company, but typically $1MM+ in dwelling coverage) properties can typically get much more comprehensive policy features and significantly better policy handling than what Amica can offer.
Last edited by UALflyer on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

Direwolf14 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm
UALflyer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am There are still quite a few companies that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers that do offer 12 month policies.
Hi UALflyer. I know that insurance is regional to some extent, but could you please list a few national carriers that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers? Thanks.
A lot depends on your overall profile. If you own luxury/semi-luxury cars and an upscale, but not a high value house (a high value house is one where the dwelling value is $1MM+ without the land), and are a preferred or ultra preferred customer (not too young or too old, no claims or accidents, excellent credit (in states that allow this as a factor)), Encompass Insurance's "Elite" policy provides very good auto and especially HO policy features. https://www.encompassinsurance.com/insu ... elite.aspx

Cincinnati Insurance's "Executive Capstone" or "Executive Classic" policy also offers very good and broad auto and HO policy features.
https://www.cinfin.com/personal-insuran ... rview/home

I would also check out Hanover Insurance's Platinum Select policies (there's three different levels: regular Select, Select Plus and Select Premium), which are intended to compete with the above (on the HO side, you should seriously consider an additional water backup and sump pump overflow endorsement, which raises coverage to your the dwelling coverage limits; they also offer guaranteed replacement cost endorsements). https://www.hanover.com/platinum-home-insurance.html

You can read about these policies on the respective insurance companies' websites, but would have to contact an agent to obtain a quote.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Sconie wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am

1 year policy----Arizona, AARP/Hartford.
Ditto for NY. AARP/Hartford Home and Auto are 1 year policies.
BeachLady

Post by BeachLady »

Just renewed with Travelers in October for 1 year.
Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee »

RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 pm

What am I missing?

I compared AMICA and USAA years ago. For all my policies, they totalled the same.

Not trying to be argumentative, and claim settlement is important. But other than claims, what makes you rave about their service? Genuinely interested....
highdesert

Post by highdesert »

My Amica auto policy will renew in December for a year. Seems like it varies by state.
benne77

Post by benne77 »

My Amica policy for Minnesota renewed this September for a full year. Interesting that it has changed for many.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

AMICA auto insurance company for 49 years.
I am really grumpy about the 6 months.
Three index funds, baby.
zlandar

Post by zlandar »

Turkishcoffee wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm

What am I missing?

Not trying to be argumentative, and claim settlement is important. But other than claims, what makes you rave about their service? Genuinely interested....
What is more important about an insurance company than how they handle claims?

You could be with Allstate and have this kind of experience:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investigat ... 1007518669

Major frame damage and Allstate thinks it's ok that a repair shop uses mostly plastic filler to fix the car?
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

amica

nj

yep, my auto policy was changed this year from one year to 6 months. there was some note that certain states are not affected.

i see no personal benefit (as an insured) from this change, so 'i guess' the change must be made for amica to benefit. they can more quickly raise rates; not renew; etc. :?
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CDs - CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
sarahjane

Post by sarahjane »

Turkishcoffee wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm

What am I missing?

We had a head on involving serious injuries and Amica paid the policy limits and the umbrella to settle what could have wiped us out. I don't even look at the premiums now!
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Amica - my one-year renewal is due 16 Nov. Just paid it.
ToddCT

Post by ToddCT »

now 6 month in CT. + for amica is that they are a mutual company and do not answer to wall street meaning that they do not need to factor shareholder returns into the equation. An advantage in helping keep rates stable and/or giving excess profitability back to policyholders who choose the dividend option.

For high-end, there are better out there such as Chubb, but for the middle-class, Amica is great. Left Liberty and saved a bundle (equal or better coverage). Had liberty raise rates 35% over the first 4 years across Auto and Home (clean record/preferred risks). I attributed this to Liberty walking back new business discounts and having automatic inflation in their pricing. One thing guaranteed, if you shop, you can generally find someone cheaper. But I also want a company that will be there when needed in a loss event not challenging every penny. Customer service does matter. Look up JD Power rankings for Auto, Home, and Claims. Those at the top are consistently there for a reason.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I wont know if the 6 month change effects Mass until my next renewal comes up in June 2020. Insurance is pretty heavily regulated here and at one point 12 month policies where mandated by law but I dont think that is the case anymore....=

As to the question on competitive rates - folks should remember that is highly dependent on where you live, how your state regulates rates and your own personal driving record/demographics/consumer profile. For me Amica is one of the cheapest options in addition to offering the best service. For others that may not be true.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

grenadaRocks wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:54 pm I was renewing my policy, and Amica tells me they now only do it 6 months at a time. This is company wide.
They tell me customers asked for this because it would give more people a chance to get the paid-in-full discount. I don't believe that.....more likely they have a second chance to adjust rates.
Anyone else hearing the same? This really bothers me.
Our State Farm auto insurance has been six months at a time for as long as I can remember. Not sure about other insurance companies.

We went to paying every month a few years ago, and there was a small added charge to do so. However, at the last renewal a few months ago, that added charge went away.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

ToddCT wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:23 amnow 6 month in CT. + for amica is that they are a mutual company and do not answer to wall street meaning that they do not need to factor shareholder returns into the equation. An advantage in helping keep rates stable and/or giving excess profitability back to policyholders who choose the dividend option.
The mutual structure has way more to do with the company's taxation than with anything else. So, as a policyholder, I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the expected service based on the mutual structure. For instance, Chubb, which offers both contractual benefits and claims handling that are head and shoulders above those of Amica, is not a mutual company.
But I also want a company that will be there when needed in a loss event not challenging every penny. Customer service does matter.
Amica is fine, but your expectations don't seem to be particularly realistic. For instance, on the homeowner's side, its default water and sewer backup sublimit is usually only $5K, which is woefully inadequate (in many states, you can increase it up to $50K, which is good for a mass market carrier, but does not even come close to the coverage offered by some of the better carriers out there, which offer this coverage up to the entire face amount of the policy).

You may also want to review this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293771 In this thread, RickBoglehead, who absolutely loves Amica, tells of his experience with Amica where as part of his claim Amica had to decide what to do with a damaged 35 year old furnace. Instead of fixing it for $800, he asked Amica to replace it, which is exactly the way that it should've been handled. Amica refused.

If Amica's premiums are competitive and you can get the policy structured in a way that makes you comfortable, there's no reason to avoid it. Just don't expect miracles from its claims handling and don't pay a lot more to stay with Amica.
Look up JD Power rankings for Auto, Home, and Claims. Those at the top are consistently there for a reason.
If you only base insurance shopping decisions on the JD Power's ratings and don't look into them in depth, you won't realize that the ratings do not even mention some of the better insurance carriers, and that a lot of the ratings are based on the criteria that has nothing whatsoever to do with policy features and claims handling.

Amusingly, for many years JD Power's homeowners insurance ratings listed GEICO and showed its ratings in various HO insurance categories. GEICO is an auto insurance company and has never had a homeowner's insurance division (GEICO has an independent insurance agency, which sells you HO policies issued by other companies, such as Travelers, etc... In doing so, GEICO acts exactly the way that your independent insurance agent acts in selling you a policy). This alone should tell you quite a bit about JD Power's insurance ratings.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I am not sure exactly how to rate an auto insurance company on how easily or likely the company will be to approving your claims in the future. Perhaps Consumer Reports ratings might indicate this.

I can say that State Farm (been insured by State Farm for 45+ years) has been very good in processing/paying claims. There was only one small "issue" - over 40 years ago - and, after escalating the issue, was paid to my complete satisfaction.

Our most recent claim (incident on October 30) was promptly processed and paid by State Farm under our Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage. State Farm "totaled" our 2002 Camry - and promptly sent a check for $4,400 - as well as providing a rental car for three weeks.

I do agree that paying claims promptly and fully is an important factor in selecting an insurance company - not just the lowest premiums.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

UALflyer wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 am You may also want to review this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293771 In this thread, RickBoglehead, who absolutely loves Amica, tells of his experience with Amica where as part of his claim Amica had to decide what to do with a damaged 35 year old furnace. Instead of fixing it for $800, he asked Amica to replace it, which is exactly the way that it should've been handled. Amica refused.
I felt my ears burning... :D

Let's put this in context. We had a pipe burst in our 70+ year old cottage that we inherited, and that we will be selling this coming Spring. AMICA, to date, has agreed to pay close to $60,000 for repairs on this cottage (with about 15% of that code-related upgrades that won't be paid unless we do them), and repairing the furnace (they replaced the water heater and put an entire new exhaust stack on the furnace as well as upgrading to a pilotless gas valve, which will save energy. Part of the repairs are very subjective, because no one can prove what caused what on a 70+ year old cottage sitting next to a lake. AMICA has not denied one thing asked for, and on the furnace agreed to provide a warranty to carry us through the winter. I did not push for a new furnace, partly because we will not be living there in the future and partly because it's not needed and I think they are being very generous for everything else in the claim.

AMICA has immediately paid via ACH, excluding minor amounts for depreciation, despite nearly all work not having been done. In other words, we have the money, and we can choose to repair what we want or not, but don't get the minor depreciation amounts unless we produce receipts for work done (which is standard).

AMICA provides all our coverage, and on auto they've also been great. My wife blew a tire at 70mph upon hitting a pothole, and we had the money 2 days later. They also replaced the entire front end of a vehicle (suspension) after the dealer said that the heavy wear was due to bad potholes (called "collision with road") and AMICA agreed without question.

I've never priced Chubb, I may do so when we go to buy our retirement home and stack their policies against AMICA, and see from a cost and coverage standpoint which is better for us, but after almost 40 years with AMICA I strongly recommend them.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:27 amI felt my ears burning... :D
I knew you'd be jumping in! :sharebeer
Let's put this in context. We had a pipe burst in our 70+ year old cottage that we inherited, and that we will be selling this coming Spring. AMICA, to date, has agreed to pay close to $60,000 for repairs on this cottage (with about 15% of that code-related upgrades that won't be paid unless we do them), and repairing the furnace (they replaced the water heater and put an entire new exhaust stack on the furnace as well as upgrading to a pilotless gas valve, which will save energy. Part of the repairs are very subjective, because no one can prove what caused what on a 70+ year old cottage sitting next to a lake. AMICA has not denied one thing asked for, and on the furnace agreed to provide a warranty to carry us through the winter. I did not push for a new furnace, partly because we will not be living there in the future and partly because it's not needed and I think they are being very generous for everything else in the claim.
This is all fine and dandy, but it should not be necessary to push them to replace a 35 year old furnace that it would take $800 to repair. You did ask them to replace the furnace (you should not have even needed to ask them, as it should've been automatic), and they refused. I understand that it doesn't make a big difference in your case, but it doesn't excuse Amica's decision either.
AMICA has immediately paid via ACH, excluding minor amounts for depreciation, despite nearly all work not having been done. In other words, we have the money, and we can choose to repair what we want or not, but don't get the minor depreciation amounts unless we produce receipts for work done (which is standard).
For claims like this, this is all standard. Every HO insurance company would've handled it this way.

You can always choose not to repair. All insurance companies are contractual required to pay for the covered damage. Whether or not you use the money to repair the damage has nothing to do with the insurance company's liability. As you said, unless you repair/replace the damaged property, standard insurance companies won't pay the depreciation (regardless of whether you repair/replace, companies like Chubb will pay out the full replacement value without any deductions for depreciation).

I know that you had inherited this property, so there's no mortgage on it. If it had a mortgage, the money would've gone to the mortgage holder to hold in a construction escrow for you. You still could've refused to repair the damage, but the mortgage holder would've then applied the funds towards the mortgage.
I've never priced Chubb, I may do so when we go to buy our retirement home and stack their policies against AMICA, and see from a cost and coverage standpoint which is better for us, but after almost 40 years with AMICA I strongly recommend them.
From the thread above, you've had a number of claims in a relatively short period of time. This will make you unattractive to other insurance carriers for the next several years, so they aren't likely to offer you competitive premiums and are likely to deny you outright.
Pete3

Post by Pete3 »

An insurance company that offers non-standard policies does not make the company non-standard - that is completely mis-using the term.

There are non-standard customers and companies that offer non-standard policies to them but the same company (Geico) can also serve standard customers with standard policies.

The General is a company that exclusively caters to non-standard customers.

Geico and Amica do not and should not be lumped in with them.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I've been on 6 month policies for years with Progressive for auto. I don't really see the difference. Getting a 6% increase 1x or 3% increase 2x it just doesn't matter to me. The market is pretty competitive so though they have 2 times a year to make increases, it is unlikely that they want to become uncompetitive. BTW, my auto insurance was lower in 2019 than 2016-2018 (same company, same cars, no accidents).
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 pm I've been on 6 month policies for years with Progressive for auto. I don't really see the difference. Getting a 6% increase 1x or 3% increase 2x it just doesn't matter to me. The market is pretty competitive so though they have 2 times a year to make increases, it is unlikely that they want to become uncompetitive. BTW, my auto insurance was lower in 2019 than 2016-2018 (same company, same cars, no accidents).
You are only thinking of situations where you haven't had any changes on your end. From an insurance company's standpoint, if they have a rate increase, a 6 month policy allows them to implement it that much faster. The same is true if you have accidents or violations, as 6 month policies give them the ability to start surcharging you at renewal. Switching to 6 month policies also allows them to non-renew you that much faster.
alamander

Post by alamander »

What am I missing?

Live in TX. My car was rear-ended, $3000 worth of damage estimated. I chose my own shop (not one of Amica's recommended), where about $1000 more of damage was uncovered. Amica's service was remarkable from start to finish. They pay for original parts not just LKQ (Like, Kind, Quality) which are often inferior. They went after the other person's insured for my $500 deductible, established a direct relationship with my chosen shop, and I ended up paying exactly $0 for a superb collision repair. So I think they are worth it.
UALflyer

Post by UALflyer »

alamander wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pmLive in TX. My car was rear-ended, $3000 worth of damage estimated. I chose my own shop (not one of Amica's recommended), where about $1000 more of damage was uncovered. Amica's service was remarkable from start to finish. They pay for original parts not just LKQ (Like, Kind, Quality) which are often inferior. They went after the other person's insured for my $500 deductible, established a direct relationship with my chosen shop, and I ended up paying exactly $0 for a superb collision repair. So I think they are worth it.
The only times that Amica pays for OEM parts is when there's something about state law that requires it, or your car is less than 3 years old, or when you've paid separately for an OEM parts endorsement. Otherwise, they will only pay for non-OEM parts. Their insurance contract specifically discloses this as well.

The reason that you paid $0 was because the at fault driver's insurance company quickly accepted liability, such that subrogation was not an issue. In straightforward cases, this is quite common and the at fault driver's insurance company will frequently just issue you a check for your deductible even if your insurance company is paying for the repairs, such that you won't have to wait for the subrogation process to be finished to get your deductible back.