Amica - Auto Policy, only 6 months

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
grenadaRocks

Amica - Auto Policy, only 6 months

Post by grenadaRocks » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:54 pm

I was renewing my policy, and Amica tells me they now only do it 6 months at a time. This is company wide.

They tell me customers asked for this because it would give more people a chance to get the paid-in-full discount. I don't believe that.....more likely they have a second chance to adjust rates.

Anyone else hearing the same? This really bothers me.

Random Poster

Re: Amica - Auto Policy, only 6 months

Post by Random Poster » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Yes. Amica went to 6-month only auto policies in GA and TX. Possibly in other states too.

I'm sure that Amica made the change so that they can increase their rates in a more timely manner.

That said, I'm not sure who still offers 1-year auto policies anymore.

Gill

Post by Gill » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:07 pm

They're all doing the same. I remember when a three-year homeowner's policy could be written. No longer.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal

wisevermilion

Post by wisevermilion » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:31 pm

I am in TX and we got switched to 6-month terms on auto.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:32 pm

liberty mutual did one year auto in GA this year

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:01 pm

My AMICA policies renewed as recently as August, and nothing changed. Michigan.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:37 pm

Our MetLife auto insurance renewed for a year in March of this year.

So, there are a few companies out there, though mine might not offer a 12 month policy when I renew in March, 2020. :confused

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:32 pm

NJ are 6 mos.

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:39 pm

I am in Oregon and they did the same, took the yearly option away.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:03 pm

Travelers renewed my auto insurance for 1 year recently. They offer a decent discount (can’t recall %) for paying the full 1-year premium at renewal.

erictiger12

Post by erictiger12 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Just saw my auto policy online and it’s for 6 months now. I am in Illinois.

SchruteB&B

Post by SchruteB&B » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:17 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Erie does, or at least as of July they did.

Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 pm

I think they all do that now.

A little off topic, but I have always read great things about Amica. Having said that, their rates are never competitive. I have great credit and a clean driving record.

What am I missing?

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Just renewed mine November 1 with AAA. One year policy.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Turkishcoffee wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 pm

A little off topic, but I have always read great things about Amica. Having said that, their rates are never competitive. I have great credit and a clean driving record.

What am I missing?
Price is not everything. AMICA's service blows away most companies.

I compared AMICA and USAA years ago. For all my policies, they totalled the same.

I've had AMICA for 39 years.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:50 am

Geico switched from 12 to 6 month policies many years ago. I was annoyed at the time, but I got over it. You will, too.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:50 am
Geico switched from 12 to 6 month policies many years ago. I was annoyed at the time, but I got over it. You will, too.
GEICO, in general, is a non-standard company, and, as such, its rate structure tends to appeal to higher risk customers (fairly young, fairly old, violations/accidents, etc...), although it can also be competitive for other types of customers. It is one of the better non-standard companies out there though, but still does not offer any of the policy features that are frequently offered by some of the companies that target preferred and ultra preferred customers. So, for instance, it will not pay for OEM parts even on brand new vehicles (insurance companies specializing in preferred and ultra preferred customers typically use OEM parts for 2-3 year old vehicles; many also offer optional endorsements that allow you to contractually guarantee OEM parts), etc... GEICO is an auto-insurance company; on the homeowner's side, they act as an independent agent and sell third party companies' policies and offer a slight rebate that they apply to their auto policy, which they call a multi-policy discount, so, since the homeowner's policy is not actually a GEICO policy, you don't save much money by bundling your policies with them. There isn't really anything wrong with GEICO, and I wouldn't avoid them, but preferred and ultra preferred customers, particularly those with higher end vehicles and those who are homeowners, can typically obtain better contractual coverage through some of the other carriers.

The very reason that GEICO only offers 6-month policies is because it is a non-standard insurance company that primarily (although not exclusively) targets higher risk drivers, so they want to be able to quickly raise your rates or non-renew you that much faster. Although Amica is a standard company, the reason that they're now switching to 6 month policies is exactly the same, as they want to be able to increase your rates or non-renew you that much faster.

There are still quite a few companies that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers that do offer 12 month policies.

tj

Post by tj » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:15 am

Indeed. I believe my auto owners policy is 12 months. They have great reviews, I haven't had any issues but I haven't had to file a claim.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 am

Mapfre assumes you want to pay monthly. I pay online and get the discount for paying in full. They still do it a full year at a time.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:34 am

Turkishcoffee wrote:

What am I missing?
Same experience here-----clean record and excellent credit rating and Amica has never even "come close" to offering a competitive rate, either auto or home.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am

Random Poster wrote:

1 year policy----Arizona, AARP/Hartford.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Brewman

Post by Brewman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 am

SchruteB&B wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:17 pm
Random Poster wrote:

Erie does, or at least as of July they did.
Yes to Erie also on one year policy as of Oct 2019

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:07 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
GEICO, in general, is a non-standard company, and, as such, its rate structure tends to appeal to higher risk customers (fairly young, fairly old, violations/accidents, etc...), although it can also be competitive for other types of customers. It is one of the better non-standard companies out there though, but still does not offer any of the policy features that are frequently offered by some of the companies that target preferred and ultra preferred customers. So, for instance, it will not pay for OEM parts even on brand new vehicles (insurance companies specializing in preferred and ultra preferred customers typically use OEM parts for 2-3 year old vehicles; many also offer optional endorsements that allow you to contractually guarantee OEM parts), etc... GEICO is an auto-insurance company; on the homeowner's side, they act as an independent agent and sell third party companies' policies and offer a slight rebate that they apply to their auto policy, which they call a multi-policy discount, so, since the homeowner's policy is not actually a GEICO policy, you don't save much money by bundling your policies with them. There isn't really anything wrong with GEICO, and I wouldn't avoid them, but preferred and ultra preferred customers, particularly those with higher end vehicles and those who are homeowners, can typically obtain better contractual coverage through some of the other carriers.

The very reason that GEICO only offers 6-month policies is because it is a non-standard insurance company that primarily (although not exclusively) targets higher risk drivers, so they want to be able to quickly raise your rates or non-renew you that much faster. Although Amica is a standard company, the reason that they're now switching to 6 month policies is exactly the same, as they want to be able to increase your rates or non-renew you that much faster.

There are still quite a few companies that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers that do offer 12 month policies.
We moved to Mass. from Michigan in May, so I shopped for new policies. Geico was substantially cheaper than others, even one recommended by an independent agent. They started quoting 6 months, but when I told them I wanted a one year policy (like I had from AAA) they said they could do that, because Massachusetts law requires them to offer an annual policy. Price was exactly double the 6 month cost.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "non-standard." I have an excellent record, driving and credit both, and got what I found as an excellent rate. THIS time - I expect it will go up upon renewal. I'm not bothered by the potential use of non-OEM parts on my 4 year old Subaru. And BTW, the bundled renters/auto/umbrella package was still a good price even with the fact that Geico doesn't actually write the non-auto policies.

snowman

Post by snowman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 pm

I am in CO. When I was making changes to my existing policy back in May, agent I spoke with told me Amica is switching from 1 year to 6 month policy in the fall. Sure enough, my renewal is now 6 months.

Direwolf14

Post by Direwolf14 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Hi UALflyer. I know that insurance is regional to some extent, but could you please list a few national carriers that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers? Thanks.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pm

UALflyer wrote:
UpperNwGuy wrote:

I am with Geico and every time I think to switch to Amica or NJM, the quotes are double!
Would you please elaborate on what you mean by "Standard Vs non-standard"? Also what is "preferred and ultra-preferred customers"? Thanks.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:15 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:36 pm
I am with Geico and every time I think to switch to Amica or NJM, the quotes are double! Would you please elaborate on what you mean by "Standard Vs non-standard"? Also what is "preferred and ultra-preferred customers"? Thanks.
Excellent questions.

Here's a brief explanation of standard vs. non-standard insurance:
https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-guid ... insurance/
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insuran ... ce-quotes/

People shouldn't be insulted by the "non-standard insurance" label, as it absolutely does not have to mean that they are bad drivers. In fact, a lot of them have impeccable driving records, but it's not all about that, as many other things impact whether a non-standard insurance company may offer attractive rates in your situation.

Certain insurance companies out there just specialize primarily in non-standard insurance. GEICO and Progressive are two of the best known non-standard insurance companies out there. The issue with non-standard companies is the fact that their focus on primarily higher risks policies means that their policies and policyhandling reflect this. I mentioned some of the issues with GEICO's policies above. The point isn't to avoid GEICO, but to say that preferred policyholders' experience would tend to be better with a number of other carriers.

For whatever reason, Amica tends to be highly recommended on this forum. In reality, it is a fine mainstream carrier, but, depending on your insurance profile, there are often far better insurance companies that offer significantly better contractual features, better claims handling and lower pricing. For instance, the owners of upscale (depends on the state and the company, but typically $500K+ or $750K+ in dwelling coverage) and high value (depends on the state and the company, but typically $1MM+ in dwelling coverage) properties can typically get much more comprehensive policy features and significantly better policy handling than what Amica can offer.
Last edited by UALflyer on Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Direwolf14 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:22 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Hi UALflyer. I know that insurance is regional to some extent, but could you please list a few national carriers that target preferred and ultra-preferred customers? Thanks.
A lot depends on your overall profile. If you own luxury/semi-luxury cars and an upscale, but not a high value house (a high value house is one where the dwelling value is $1MM+ without the land), and are a preferred or ultra preferred customer (not too young or too old, no claims or accidents, excellent credit (in states that allow this as a factor)), Encompass Insurance's "Elite" policy provides very good auto and especially HO policy features. https://www.encompassinsurance.com/insu ... elite.aspx

Cincinnati Insurance's "Executive Capstone" or "Executive Classic" policy also offers very good and broad auto and HO policy features.
https://www.cinfin.com/personal-insuran ... rview/home

I would also check out Hanover Insurance's Platinum Select policies (there's three different levels: regular Select, Select Plus and Select Premium), which are intended to compete with the above (on the HO side, you should seriously consider an additional water backup and sump pump overflow endorsement, which raises coverage to your the dwelling coverage limits; they also offer guaranteed replacement cost endorsements). https://www.hanover.com/platinum-home-insurance.html

You can read about these policies on the respective insurance companies' websites, but would have to contact an agent to obtain a quote.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Sconie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am
Random Poster wrote:

1 year policy----Arizona, AARP/Hartford.
Ditto for NY. AARP/Hartford Home and Auto are 1 year policies.

BeachLady

Post by BeachLady » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:54 pm

Just renewed with Travelers in October for 1 year.

Turkishcoffee

Post by Turkishcoffee » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:53 pm
Turkishcoffee wrote:

What am I missing?

I compared AMICA and USAA years ago. For all my policies, they totalled the same.

Not trying to be argumentative, and claim settlement is important. But other than claims, what makes you rave about their service? Genuinely interested....

highdesert

Post by highdesert » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm

My Amica auto policy will renew in December for a year. Seems like it varies by state.

benne77

Post by benne77 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:39 pm

My Amica policy for Minnesota renewed this September for a full year. Interesting that it has changed for many.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:56 pm

AMICA auto insurance company for 49 years.
I am really grumpy about the 6 months.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Turkishcoffee wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Turkishcoffee wrote:

What am I missing?

Not trying to be argumentative, and claim settlement is important. But other than claims, what makes you rave about their service? Genuinely interested....
What is more important about an insurance company than how they handle claims?

You could be with Allstate and have this kind of experience:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/2-investigat ... 1007518669

Major frame damage and Allstate thinks it's ok that a repair shop uses mostly plastic filler to fix the car?

cashboy

Post by cashboy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:18 pm

amica

nj

yep, my auto policy was changed this year from one year to 6 months. there was some note that certain states are not affected.

i see no personal benefit (as an insured) from this change, so 'i guess' the change must be made for amica to benefit. they can more quickly raise rates; not renew; etc. :?
FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX - CD - CASH - canned beans - rice

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 pm

Turkishcoffee wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:45 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Turkishcoffee wrote:

What am I missing?

We had a head on involving serious injuries and Amica paid the policy limits and the umbrella to settle what could have wiped us out. I don't even look at the premiums now!

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Amica - my one-year renewal is due 16 Nov. Just paid it.