Page 1 of 7

Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm
by deanmoriarty
FYI, it's available :sharebeer. I just bought this now since I need to do some rough estimates on my tax situation before the end of the year, and I won't be able to wait until Costco carries it.

I got the Premier with State for $69.99: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YH ... WMC8&psc=1

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:40 pm
by unclescrooge
+1
Thanks!

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:17 pm
by 123
https://turbotax.intuit.com/ says "TurboTax 2019 CDs will ship around November 11th, 2019" if you order directly through them (price may differ).

You likely will receive a couple (ha ha) of online updates before all forms get finalized based on past experience.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm
by RickBoglehead
There is zero reason to buy anything more than Deluxe for nearly everyone.

Price will drop to around $30 and last year they had a $10 cash card.

I set an alert in camelcamelcamel

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm
by dual
Fidelity usually provides free downloads of Turbotax to its clients around mid December. Their criteria to receive the freebie are somewhat mysterious but it helps to have a few $100K invested with them.

BTW, TTAX no longer supports Windows 7 :x

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:57 pm
by phxjcc
dual wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm Fidelity usually provides free downloads of Turbotax to its clients around mid December. Their criteria to receive the freebie are somewhat mysterious but it helps to have a few $100K invested with them.

BTW, TTAX no longer supports Windows 7 :x
WRONG WRONG, AND WRONG!

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:00 pm
by 1210sda
I live in a no income tax state. I was planning on purchasing Basic. What are the upgrades that come with Deluxe?
1210

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:02 pm
by Hayden
Turbotax Business is on sale for $119. I think that's as good as it gets, so I will buy now

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:26 pm
by sonosoldi3112
Hello dean

thank you for post.

just wondering did it work ok .. was download easy ect... thank you

James

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:32 pm
by deanmoriarty
sonosoldi3112 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:26 pm Hello dean

thank you for post.

just wondering did it work ok .. was download easy ect... thank you

James
Yes, very easy, I already ran my tax simulation this morning. Of course many parts are still missing (such as the entire state of CA for a couple more weeks!), but all I needed to know was some rough calculations to determine whether I should increase my tax withholding towards the end of the year, since I have a weird tax situation due to AMT.

Thanks

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:34 pm
by 1210sda
1210sda wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:00 pm I live in a no income tax state. I was planning on purchasing Basic. What are the upgrades that come with Deluxe?
1210
I just found the differences:
1. Additional help to maximize 350+ deductibles and credits.
2. Includes 1 state product via download
3 Audit risk meter
4 "It's Deductible".

Is that all?

Still sticking with Basic

1210

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:05 pm
by aristotelian
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm There is zero reason to buy anything more than Deluxe for nearly everyone.

Price will drop to around $30 and last year they had a $10 cash card.

I set an alert in camelcamelcamel
Looks like Deluxe with no state is available for $39. I am tempted but will hold out. I got the $10 gift card deal last year as well.
https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Deluxe- ... 07YH1X7DT/

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 pm
by DetroitRick
I appreciate the heads up. Decent price on Premier. Normally don't buy this early, but really need to this year. I have to laugh - got the pre-order email from Intuit a few weeks ago offering a deal on Premier for $99.99 ($10 off list). I like $69.99 a lot better. :sharebeer

... now on to debugging the early version!

Added comment: Downloaded, updated it and started using it this afternoon. Not all the sections are available yet (since the IRS hasn't finalized all forms), but I was able to get through the income sections I need most. Stopped at retirement income - as that section in particular is still awaiting finalization. First time for downloading this early, but helpful as a estimation tool at this point.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:17 pm
by KingRiggs
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm There is zero reason to buy anything more than Deluxe for nearly everyone.

Price will drop to around $30 and last year they had a $10 cash card.

I set an alert in camelcamelcamel
Have not used TurboTax before, but I was under the impression that I needed Premier if I have K1 income. Is that not accurate?

Thanks!

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm
by cowdogman
I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:22 pm
by harvestbook
We're doing our own taxes this year after our CPA dumped us. We have three self-employment Schedule C businesses, are spending out of a 529 for daughter, and have minimal dividends/cap gains to report. Is Deluxe good enough for us, or should we step up to the $119 version?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm
by RickBoglehead
harvestbook wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:22 pm We're doing our own taxes this year after our CPA dumped us. We have three self-employment Schedule C businesses, are spending out of a 529 for daughter, and have minimal dividends/cap gains to report. Is Deluxe good enough for us, or should we step up to the $119 version?
Deluxe does all that. CD or download, not online.
cowdogman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.
Why? Waste of money to go beyond Deluxe for most.
KingRiggs wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:17 pm
Have not used TurboTax before, but I was under the impression that I needed Premier if I have K1 income. Is that not accurate?

Thanks!
All forms are in all versions. People overbuy all the time. There may be more guidance in a higher priced version.

I buy Deluxe. I have Schedule C stuff, and it asks me all the right questions. Yet they "recommend" Home & Business. Poppycock!

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/irs-forms/
Hayden wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:02 pm Turbotax Business is on sale for $119. I think that's as good as it gets, so I will buy now
I have a bridge for sale... :shock:

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:39 pm
by deanmoriarty
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm
harvestbook wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:22 pm We're doing our own taxes this year after our CPA dumped us. We have three self-employment Schedule C businesses, are spending out of a 529 for daughter, and have minimal dividends/cap gains to report. Is Deluxe good enough for us, or should we step up to the $119 version?
Deluxe does all that. CC or download, not online.
cowdogman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.
Why? Waste of money to go beyond Deluxe for most.
For next year (since I already bought it for 2019), could you tell me or point me to a post that describes the differences between Deluxe and Premier? My tax situation includes a few K1s, a complicated AMT situation involving $100k+ AMT tax credits I am slowly recouping over the years, several ISO transactions, and foreign tax credit. I buy Turbotax because I want the wizard process, as opposed to having me to manually fill the forms like it happens on some other tax software (e.g. I tried HR block last year but it doesn't guide me at all through the compilation of form 8801, it just opens it and allows me to fill it, which is a nightmare for me). After the wizard, I manually check that the data on the form is the correct one, but without wizards I wouldn't be able to get started and it's well worth to me the additional $20-30, if that's the difference, as it saves me a several hours at least.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm
by rh00p
phxjcc wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:57 pm
dual wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm BTW, TTAX no longer supports Windows 7 :x
WRONG WRONG, AND WRONG!

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/
It seems tax year 2019 will be the last for TurboTax desktop. You can still use the online version but the last time I did it was $35 more then the same year's download😡

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 pm
by deanmoriarty
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm It seems tax year 2019 will be the last for TurboTax desktop. You can still use the online version but the last time I did it was $35 more then the same year's download😡
Where did you read that they are discontinuing the desktop edition?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 pm
by RickBoglehead
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm
It seems tax year 2019 will be the last for TurboTax desktop. You can still use the online version but the last time I did it was $35 more then the same year's download😡
Where does it say this?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:52 pm
by RickBoglehead
deanmoriarty wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:39 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm
harvestbook wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:22 pm We're doing our own taxes this year after our CPA dumped us. We have three self-employment Schedule C businesses, are spending out of a 529 for daughter, and have minimal dividends/cap gains to report. Is Deluxe good enough for us, or should we step up to the $119 version?
Deluxe does all that. CC or download, not online.
cowdogman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.
Why? Waste of money to go beyond Deluxe for most.
For next year (since I already bought it for 2019), could you tell me or point me to a post that describes the differences between Deluxe and Premier? My tax situation includes a few K1s, a complicated AMT situation involving $100k+ AMT tax credits I am slowly recouping over the years, several ISO transactions, and foreign tax credit. I buy Turbotax because I want the wizard process, as opposed to having me to manually fill the forms like it happens on some other tax software (e.g. I tried HR block last year but it doesn't guide me at all through the compilation of form 8801, it just opens it and allows me to fill it, which is a nightmare for me). After the wizard, I manually check that the data on the form is the correct one, but without wizards I wouldn't be able to get started and it's well worth to me the additional $20-30, if that's the difference, as it saves me a several hours at least.
When I get 2019 Deluxe, I'm will be happy to open up K1 sections etc. and try to answer specifics. No chart I've found really clarifies the minute differences in the wizard dialog.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:03 pm
by HomeStretch
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm I buy Deluxe. I have Schedule C stuff, and it asks me all the right questions. Yet they "recommend" Home & Business. Poppycock!
+1

If you use Deluxe and enter a 1099B, the TurboTax program does a slick job of trying to upsell you by “recommending” Premier to better handle Investment-related reporting. The TT website obfuscates the differences between the versions (Deluxe, Premier, etc.) and the source (Download, Online, CD).

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:05 pm
by quisp65
My last two years I switched to TaxFreeUSA and paid little but I may switch back to Turbotax this year. I newbishly swapped my taxed accounts around about 10 times between different funds this year and I'm thinking the automatic login feature and download at Vanguard might be worth the money I pay.

The automatic download feature ought to be able to easily handle that right?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:09 pm
by rh00p
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 pm
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm
It seems tax year 2019 will be the last for TurboTax desktop. You can still use the online version but the last time I did it was $35 more then the same year's download😡
Where does it say this?
"TurboTax for tax year 2019 will install on Windows 7, but when TurboTax for tax year 2020 is released, all TurboTax desktop products will cease installing on Windows 7."

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 pm
by Target2019
TurboTax Home & Business with State. $79.99. PC Download.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:15 pm
by deanmoriarty
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:09 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 pm
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm
It seems tax year 2019 will be the last for TurboTax desktop. You can still use the online version but the last time I did it was $35 more then the same year's download😡
Where does it say this?
"TurboTax for tax year 2019 will install on Windows 7, but when TurboTax for tax year 2020 is released, all TurboTax desktop products will cease installing on Windows 7."

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/
Oh ok you are just talking about Windows 7, who cares then :twisted:. For one second I thought you were mentioning them discontinuing the entire product, which would be terrible!

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:30 pm
by RickBoglehead
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:09 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:50 pm
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm
It seems tax year 2019 will be the last for TurboTax desktop. You can still use the online version but the last time I did it was $35 more then the same year's download😡
Where does it say this?
"TurboTax for tax year 2019 will install on Windows 7, but when TurboTax for tax year 2020 is released, all TurboTax desktop products will cease installing on Windows 7."

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/
Windows 7 will be obsolete mid January 2020. TurboTax 2020 won't be out until November 2020, all after everyone should have upgraded to Windows 10.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:40 pm
by scorcher31
Right now deluxe with 1 state is 49.99. Does it typically drop to 39.99 at some point like cyber monday?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:53 pm
by RickBoglehead
scorcher31 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:40 pm Right now deluxe with 1 state is 49.99. Does it typically drop to 39.99 at some point like cyber monday?
As I posted earlier, last year it was $39.99, less $10 gift card. Last few days of December.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:22 pm
by rivercrosser
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:53 pm
scorcher31 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:40 pm Right now deluxe with 1 state is 49.99. Does it typically drop to 39.99 at some point like cyber monday?
As I posted earlier, last year it was $39.99, less $10 gift card. Last few days of December.
I did the same thing last year. I put in my cart today and will wait see what kind of offer they come up with this year. Deluxe + State is all I ever needed. A few years back they tried to pull a fast one and make you buy the Premier version for some forms. They backed off after long time users raised a stink.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:05 pm
by cowdogman
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm
cowdogman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.
Why? Waste of money to go beyond Deluxe for most.
You may be right, but I have 3 somewhat detailed Schedule Cs, that include depreciation and a home office. I suppose I could try that on Deluxe or Premier but I'd rather spend the extra $30 (over Deluxe on Amazon) and not worry about what I'm missing. Or to put it another way, I'd rather gamble that the $30 extra will result in more than $30 savings--and if I'm wrong, I'm only out $30.

Heading to Amazon now to buy 2019 H&B for $79.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:49 pm
by RickBoglehead
cowdogman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:05 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:27 pm
cowdogman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.
Why? Waste of money to go beyond Deluxe for most.
You may be right, but I have 3 somewhat detailed Schedule Cs, that include depreciation and a home office. I suppose I could try that on Deluxe or Premier but I'd rather spend the extra $30 (over Deluxe on Amazon) and not worry about what I'm missing. Or to put it another way, I'd rather gamble that the $30 extra will result in more than $30 savings--and if I'm wrong, I'm only out $30.

Heading to Amazon now to buy 2019 H&B for $79.
Which is exactly their marketing strategy.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 pm
by rivercrosser
You can start out with deluxe and can always upgrade to Premier from within the software if necessary.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:09 pm
by mnsportsgeek
I have always used the online versions. What are the differences between online and the downloadable versions?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:23 pm
by RickBoglehead
mnsportsgeek wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:09 pm I have always used the online versions. What are the differences between online and the downloadable versions?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes ... /00/723206

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-ta ... e/desktop/

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:42 pm
by 1210sda
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:23 pm
mnsportsgeek wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:09 pm I have always used the online versions. What are the differences between online and the downloadable versions?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes ... /00/723206

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-ta ... e/desktop/
Thanks Rick.

It appears from your first link that the "What If" worksheets are not available with on-line.

I find "What If" to be very valuable for estimating next year's taxes. Wouldn't want to be without it.

1210

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 pm
by spammagnet
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pmThere is zero reason to buy anything more than Deluxe for nearly everyone.
ESPPs justify it for me. Could I figure it out on my own? Probably, but it's worth $20 to me to not have to.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:21 pm
by jburke
Can Deluxe handle rental properties - Schedule E?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 am
by Ricchan
If I remember correctly, last year I had to buy TurboTax Business for a Trust and TurboTax Deluxe for my personal taxes. Is that the same again this year?

Also, apparently Merrill Edge offers $15 off TurboTax, although clicking on the "Learn More" link doesn't really give me any information; it just sends me to what appears to be the default TurboTax site without any mention of the promotion.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:11 am
by RickBoglehead
jburke wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:21 pm Can Deluxe handle rental properties - Schedule E?
Don't have rental properties. Opened TT Deluxe 2018 (CD/Download), opened my return from last year. typed "Rental Property" in search box, and then jumped to it.

Questions I was asked:

1) Did you have any rental or royalty income and expenses in 2018 for property you own? Says We'll Cover - rental property income and expenses, natural resource royalties, intellectual property. In answered - Yes.

It then tries to get me to upgrade to Premier, saying I'll get every rental deduction I deserve, and it will simplify depreciation and depletion reporting, and show my 2 year comparison. Of course it doesn't tell me that Deluxe will or won't do that. Upgrade within program was $30.

2) Asked me if I'm a real estate professional. I said no.

3) Asked me if this is a rental property or royalty.

I stopped there. Hope this helps.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:15 am
by RickBoglehead
Ricchan wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 am If I remember correctly, last year I had to buy TurboTax Business for a Trust and TurboTax Deluxe for my personal taxes. Is that the same again this year?

Also, apparently Merrill Edge offers $15 off TurboTax, although clicking on the "Learn More" link doesn't really give me any information; it just sends me to what appears to be the default TurboTax site without any mention of the promotion.
To file form 1041 for a Trust, you need TT Business, per TT Deluxe help menu. Of course not all trusts are required to file a 1041, such as a Revocable Trust. TT Business does not include personal return forms, no.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 am
by RickBoglehead
spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:02 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pmThere is zero reason to buy anything more than Deluxe for nearly everyone.
ESPPs justify it for me. Could I figure it out on my own? Probably, but it's worth $20 to me to not have to.
Per TT Deluxe, ESPP's are handled by simply entering your 1099-B. Since I don't do ESPP's, I can't determine if that's adequate or not. +

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:19 am
by aristotelian
rh00p wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm
phxjcc wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:57 pm
dual wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:49 pm BTW, TTAX no longer supports Windows 7 :x
WRONG WRONG, AND WRONG!

https://www.intuit.com/support/windows-7-end-of-life/
It seems tax year 2019 will be the last for TurboTax desktop. You can still use the online version but the last time I did it was $35 more then the same year's download😡
Where are you getting no desktop? It only says Windows 7 won't be supported. That implies that others will be. I would be pretty upset if that is the case.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:28 am
by Zephavest
deanmoriarty wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm FYI, it's available :sharebeer. I just bought this now since I need to do some rough estimates on my tax situation before the end of the year, and I won't be able to wait until Costco carries it.
Hi deanmoriarty,

Before you get to happy, Turbotax has DISCONTINUED the ability to do year end planning!!!

I've been using Turbotax for years but with the discovery of the this crippling limitation to the 2019 Turbotax software it is time to consider switching, I have read several posts on competitors, I'm considering H&R Block software and I've signed up for freetaxusa.com several members recommended. Here are my posts of the issue:

H&R BLOCK Pre-Order 2019 Software Offer:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293805&start=50
Zephavest wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:31 am Turbotax was just released this morning and as always I purchased the 2019 Home & Business from Amazon. When I got to the "Retirement Income Area", at that point I got a message "we expect this form to be ready on 1/15/2020. WHAT, it seems Turbotax is now run by young software people that have never heard of the term "year end tax planning" So now I cannot calculate my year end investment sales and Roth conversions I always do to keep within my target tax bracket.
Zephavest wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:14 pm I called Amazon and they emailed me the refund process with Turbotax, I was shocked but they have "A 60-day satisfaction guarantee for TurboTax software is offered by the product's publisher, Intuit." I then called Turbotax support and did a screenshare with them, the lady pointed out the message on the screen, "but the IRS is still working on finishing up the Distributions from Pensions, IRA's, etc.". ya, sure, I really believe that, but she was quick to point out Quickbooks does, so I said, now you want me to buy another product, no chance! Then closing the screenshare crashed Turbotax, after all these years they still cannot get it right.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:33 am
by RickBoglehead
Zephavest wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:28 am
deanmoriarty wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm FYI, it's available :sharebeer. I just bought this now since I need to do some rough estimates on my tax situation before the end of the year, and I won't be able to wait until Costco carries it.
Hi deanmoriarty,

Before you get to happy, Turbotax has DISCONTINUED the ability to do year end planning!!!

I've been using Turbotax for years but with the discovery of the this crippling limitation to the 2019 Turbotax software it is time to consider switching, I have read several posts on competitors, I'm considering H&R Block software and I've signed up for freetaxusa.com several members recommended. Here are my posts of the issue:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=293805&start=50
Zephavest wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:31 am Turbotax was just released this morning and as always I purchased the 2019 Home & Business from Amazon. When I got to the "Retirement Income Area", at that point I got a message "we expect this form to be ready on 1/15/2020. WHAT, it seems Turbotax is now run by young software people that have never heard of the term "year end tax planning" So now I cannot calculate my year end investment sales and Roth conversions I always do to keep within my target tax bracket.
Zephavest wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:14 pm I called Amazon and they emailed me the refund process with Turbotax, I was shocked but they have "A 60-day satisfaction guarantee for TurboTax software is offered by the product's publisher, Intuit." I then called Turbotax support and did a screenshare with them, the lady pointed out the message on the screen, "but the IRS is still working on finishing up the Distributions from Pensions, IRA's, etc.". ya, sure, I really believe that, but she was quick to point out Quickbooks does, so I said, now you want me to buy another product, no chance! Then closing the screenshare crashed Turbotax, after all these years they still cannot get it right.
So it's TurboTax's fault that the IRS doesn't release forms in time (to any software publisher)?

I do my 2019 retirement planning on the 2018 software just fine.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 am
by Zephavest
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:33 am So it's TurboTax's fault that the IRS doesn't release forms in time (to any software publisher)?

I do my 2019 retirement planning on the 2018 software just fine.
You could be correct, but even so, this still makes Turbotax no longer useable for year ending tax planning. The reality is IRS released most updates months ago such as tax brackets, etc. Turbotax just uses this common catch phrase when they are behind schedule and do not have a feature ready yet as they do not want to loose early sales.

While your planning may work just fine for you in your 2018 software, that does not work when you are trying to get your Roth conversion nailed down to the exact dollar to maximize your 2019 conversion, while staying in your target tax bracket.

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:44 am
by seymore92
Zephavest wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:39 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:33 am So it's TurboTax's fault that the IRS doesn't release forms in time (to any software publisher)?

I do my 2019 retirement planning on the 2018 software just fine.
You could be correct, but even so, this still makes Turbotax no longer useable for year ending tax planning. The reality is IRS released most updates months ago such as tax brackets, etc. Turbotax just uses this common catch phrase when they are behind schedule and do not have a feature ready yet as they do not want to loose early sales.

While your planning may work just fine for you in your 2018 software, that does not work when you are trying to get your Roth conversion nailed down to the exact dollar to maximize your 2019 conversion, while staying in your target tax bracket.
In the case of roth conversion planning, for example, can you temporarily treat the converted amount as ordinary taxable income in another section of the software, for example as 1099-INT income?

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:52 am
by spammagnet
RickBoglehead wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:17 amPer TT Deluxe, ESPP's are handled by simply entering your 1099-B. Since I don't do ESPP's, I can't determine if that's adequate or not.
rivercrosser wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:54 pmYou can start out with deluxe and can always upgrade to Premier from within the software if necessary.
The combination of the information above makes it a reasonable choice for me to start with Deluxe. I'll try to record my wife's ESPPs to see how easily it works, then upgrade if not satisfied.

Thanks

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:56 am
by spammagnet
Ricchan wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 amAlso, apparently Merrill Edge offers $15 off TurboTax, although clicking on the "Learn More" link doesn't really give me any information; it just sends me to what appears to be the default TurboTax site without any mention of the promotion.
That's what Fidelity did for me, as well. Perhaps this year's discount deals aren't set up, yet?