Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
canderson

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by canderson »

Thanks for the heads up! Just purchased TT Deluxe + State. Mac download for effectively $29.
Rogue Wave

Post by Rogue Wave »

I definitely encourage you to contact Amazon through their chat if you accidentally order the wrong one.

I got a price drop alert from camelcamelcamel and bought the Premier version this morning. Immediately after, I saw the same version with the free gift card at the same price.

After a brief chat, they refunded my non-refundable purchase so I could re-order the one with the free gift card.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I ordered it. Thanks for the heads up. What's the deal with the $0.01 "promotion" applied? I mean, I won't complain about even a penny discount, but there was no explanation about it. Also, was there a window where someone was getting an $0.11 promotion? I saw someone saying they got it for $29.88 instead of $29.98. Was that a typo?

"Costs matter!"
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

MillennialFinance19 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:51 am
mighty72 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:35 am I have been using the online version of TurboTax for many years. If I get the desktop version, will I be able to import data from my last year's return which was done online? Thanks
You will, I just did it no more than 5 minutes ago. Go to TT online and download the .TAX file. This will then be uploaded to the software and you'll have all the info you would have online. Way easier than I expected.
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

So is everyone in agreement that this is a better deal than Costco because of the $10 gift card (otherwise they are the same)?

Right now you can get Deluxe Fed&State at Costco for 39.99 e-Delivery and Next week when the physical disk version is on sale there it will be for approx the same price. (I think)

Anyone have any regrets not getting a physical disk?

(and yes I know the "online" and "e-delivery/download" are actually different products but the e-delivery and physical disk are one and the same)
douginct

Post by douginct »

Jablean wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:46 pm So is everyone in agreement that this is a better deal than Costco because of the $10 gift card (otherwise they are the same)?

Right now you can get Deluxe Fed&State at Costco for 39.99 e-Delivery and Next week when the physical disk version is on sale there it will be for approx the same price. (I think)

Anyone have any regrets not getting a physical disk?

(and yes I know the "online" and "e-delivery/download" are actually different products but the e-delivery and physical disk are one and the same)
With no Free Fidelity TTax so far I was going to buy at Costco next week. But bit the bullet this morning and bought the download at Amazon. $30 net of the Amazon gift card is a pretty good deal. My only complaint is that it wouldn't let me buy with my Amazon gift card balance. Had to use a credit card. I am guessing this is due to the inclusion of an Amazon gift card in the purchase - can't buy an Amazon gift card with an Amazon gift card!
anhonymous

Re: Today is the day!

Post by anhonymous »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:50 am $39.99 with $10 mailed gift card. Pick Deluxe + State + $10 Gift Card.

Likely TODAY ONLY!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YH2W223/re ... ads.org-20

Use the above link and this forum will get a commission. If you don't need State, it is $10 less, pick Deluxe. + $10 gift card.
Thank you Rick Boglehead for persisting with the idea that this deal will materialize again this year...
sss2009

Post by sss2009 »

Strange that the deluxe (no state) + 10 gift card option is ONLY for Mac Download, and NOT for PC download. Or am I missing something?
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Van wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:57 pm I'm confused. TurboTax says you need the Premier version if you have capital gains and losses, but some postings indicate that Deluxe will handle that.

Help.

Van
I already bought TT deluxe this year instead of premier based on recommendations on this forum. The software asked if I wanted to upgrade to premier once I answered the question that I had capital gains and dividends to report. I clicked on "no, thanks" or whatever. Obviously I don't have my 1099s yet, so I typed in my dividends. I marked all my entries estimated. The deluxe addition worked just fine for my federal return. Haven't bothered with the state return yet. Don't know about you, but I trust my fellow BHs, but you do you.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

sss2009 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:18 pm Strange that the deluxe (no state) + 10 gift card option is ONLY for Mac Download, and NOT for PC download. Or am I missing something?
You are missing something. Just click on PC Download.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
AznSaver

Post by AznSaver »

I just called and was able to get this "unreturnable" purchase returned, so I could rebuy it with the promotional gift card for the same price I paid ($29.88 Deluxe Federal Only) (PC Download)
danielrhall

Post by danielrhall »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:59 pm
sss2009 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:18 pm Strange that the deluxe (no state) + 10 gift card option is ONLY for Mac Download, and NOT for PC download. Or am I missing something?
It's there now but it wasn't earlier today. I too tried.
mister_sparkle

Post by mister_sparkle »

I purchased TurboTax Deluxe with one state's return.

I moved from Illinois to North Carolina in September and I am wondering which state I should use the TT return function for, or if it doesn't matter at all. Both IL and NC have a state income tax; I rented in Illinois and bought a house this month in NC, though I don't think I will have enough Schedule A deductions to itemize.

Thanks!
sss2009

Post by sss2009 »

danielrhall wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:10 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:59 pm
It's there now but it wasn't earlier today. I too tried.
Got it. It wasn't there this earlier today. But I see it now and did buy it. Thanks.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

mister_sparkle wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:41 pm I purchased TurboTax Deluxe with one state's return.

I moved from Illinois to North Carolina in September and I am wondering which state I should use the TT return function for, or if it doesn't matter at all. Both IL and NC have a state income tax; I rented in Illinois and bought a house this month in NC, though I don't think I will have enough Schedule A deductions to itemize.

Thanks!
You should buy the 2nd state from within the program ($39.9919.99I believe), then TT will properly do both states.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

mister_sparkle wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:41 pm I purchased TurboTax Deluxe with one state's return.

Thanks!
mister_sparkle,

I'm not sure of the answer but here are two TurboTax support articles on the subject:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/st ... /L5NxnNH21
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/st ... /L79OKm3jI
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

Thanks!
I checked my copy of TurboTax Deluxe, and it wants to charge me $39.99 for each additional state (I already used the free one). It doesn't appear to matter which state I tell it I want to purchase, the price is the same. So if you wind up having to file with both states, I don't think it will matter which one you chose for your free download.

If you were a resident of Illinois for the first part of the year, and then permanently moved to North Carolina, then I think you have to file a tax return with both states, since you were a part-time resident of each one.
RickBoglehead

Discount still in effect 12-29 at 8AM EST

Post by RickBoglehead »

Likely will end soon.
Stevedore

Post by Stevedore »

Thanks for the link! I bought it yesterday (Deluxe & State, Mac download); lowest price I can remember for a long time after the $10 gift card.

I installed it this A.M. & see that they're using activation codes again. If I recall, that became a disaster for them a number of years ago. I hope this time is better...
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

They did indeed. It was tied to the CD and a cluster. This seems to be tied to them online and good for 5 installs.

I have always found them very flexible on Support. Needed a download from a few years back and they supplied it. Also, had an issue one year and they gave a full refund, then for a reason I cannot recall offered many years of refunds if I had proof of purchase, which I did.
Pete3

Post by Pete3 »

Stevedore wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 am I installed it this A.M. & see that they're using activation codes again. If I recall, that became a disaster for them a number of years ago. I hope this time is better...
The last time it was part of a draconian DRM that involved modifying a hard drive boot sector, no sign of anything like that this time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboTax# ... boot_track
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Pete3 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:05 am
Stevedore wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 am I installed it this A.M. & see that they're using activation codes again. If I recall, that became a disaster for them a number of years ago. I hope this time is better...
The last time it was part of a draconian DRM that involved modifying a hard drive boot sector, no sign of anything like that this time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TurboTax# ... boot_track
I uninstalled then reinstall to see if it will ask me again for the serial. It didn't! Not sure if that related to the boot track thing again or not
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
beyou

Post by beyou »

For those who prefer online version, note TT by default does not charge you until you file, but this means they can raise the price by the time you are ready to file.

You can go to the file menu and pay the early discount rates ahead of time, if sure you will use TT online. I like the convenience of not having to install software. For those concerned about privacy, guess you mail in your paper return ? Is that fully secure ? I file electronically,
so eventually TT will get my data anyway, using online or desktop. To me desktop is cheaper but I choose convenience to use any computer, and to have cloud storage of important data.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Looks like Basic and Deluxe have all the forms I need and the only difference is the free state with Deluxe.

I live in CT and use the state's online system to file my tax return. I've done this for years since TT charges to e-file (even though I run the CT return through TT as a check).

Any reason I need Deluxe if I am just going to file in CT on my own?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Rainier wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:41 am Looks like Basic and Deluxe have all the forms I need and the only difference is the free state with Deluxe.

I live in CT and use the state's online system to file my tax return. I've done this for years since TT charges to e-file (even though I run the CT return through TT as a check).

Not correct.

All desktop versions have all forms.

Since Deluxe comes with and without State, that is not the difference with Basic. Deluxe maximizes deductions and credits.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Thank you everyone! I bought TT on sale. I was buying TT premier for years since i thought it was needed for investments. Now I know better and got Deluxe instead.

Between this and Hedgefundies adventure this is a good year BH-wise :happy
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

Pete3 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:28 am It's amazing how many people think they need to get Turbotax Premier when Deluxe has everything they need - Intuits misleading advertising causes the confusion that some people must use premier

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes ... /00/707674

"All the same forms, schedules and worksheets are in each TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition as shown on the TurboTax website for the desktop CD/Download editions.

The difference in the desktop CD/Download editions is the amount of help and guidance in each edition."
Agree. Actually we used basic for many years (which despite TT’s scaremongering/upselling is also more than adequate for most people) until I got lazy about state taxes (basic got hard to find and IIRC deluxe with state is usually cheaper than basic with state)

There is also a free version of of TT, but it can be find online.

Pro Publica has done a lot of work revealing how Turbotax steers people who are eligible for the free version to a paid version.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

mighty72 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:35 am I have been using the online version of TurboTax for many years. If I get the desktop version, will I be able to import data from my last year's return which was done online? Thanks
I just did this. It was tricky to find the .tax file but I eventually found it and downloaded it through the website.
Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 am
Rainier wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:41 am Looks like Basic and Deluxe have all the forms I need and the only difference is the free state with Deluxe.

Not correct.

Since Deluxe comes with and without State, that is not the difference with Basic. Deluxe maximizes deductions and credits.
Can you comment about Deluxe’s ability to auto-import brokerage transactions (when available) vs. Premium? I’m not an active trader, but having to enter 30-50 transactions (bond sales, bond calls, stock rebalancing, etc.) provides plenty of room for error.
bogleVB

Post by bogleVB »

price for deluxe+state showing as 49.88+$10gc for me. Did I miss it or am I doing it wrong?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

bogleVB wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:14 pm price for deluxe+state showing as 49.88+$10gc for me. Did I miss it or am I doing it wrong?
You missed the offering. Amazon does this beginning on 12/28, and then it ends on 12/29. You clicked after it ended, so the price is now $10 higher.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Just sayin... wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:54 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:00 am

Not correct.

Can you comment about Deluxe’s ability to auto-import brokerage transactions (when available) vs. Premium? I’m not an active trader, but having to enter 30-50 transactions (bond sales, bond calls, stock rebalancing, etc.) provides plenty of room for error.
TurboTax Deluxe should auto import the information just fine. It pulls the 1099s from the brokerages, when available.
FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE »

What additional fees are paid when you file using the downloaded deluxe version? Does $40 cover everything?
Pete3

Post by Pete3 »

FI4LIFE wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:22 pm What additional fees are paid when you file using the downloaded deluxe version? Does $40 cover everything?
Fed efile is included in the price, you pay for state if you want to state efile via TurboTax
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I don't use TT but ran across this (TT Business)- normally $150, its dropped to $105...if of use to anyone

TurboTax Business 2019 Tax Software [PC Disc]
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

F150HD wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:16 am I don't use TT but ran across this (TT Business)- normally $150, its dropped to $105...if of use to anyone

TurboTax Business 2019 Tax Software [PC Disc]
that's a good deal. i already paid 119.99. I'll remember this for next year
Bill McNeal

Post by Bill McNeal »

Does Deluxe include Q&A/interview walkthrough for rental properties? In case I find out I want Premier after buying Deluxe, is it an easy upgrade with minimal fee from Intuit?
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Amazon promised me the $10 gift card on Monday Dec 30. Today (Tuesday) they email:

"New estimated delivery date: Monday, December 30, 2019"

Which is obviously ridiculous. The tracking page:

"Delayed, not yet shipped
"We will email you as soon as this order ships. You won't be charged until then. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

I'm hesitant to cancel this or ask them to give me an electronic gift card instead, for fear they'll mess up the Turbotax pricing.

Anyone else? Any suggestions beyond waiting (this isn't close to urgent, just annoying)?
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

Just wait it out, I got the gift card 2 days after I ordered using the same offer.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Mine just came, loaded to account.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Just to follow up, the gift card came, but it didn't work. After over 30 mins of online chat two Amazon CSRs. including sending them a picture of the gift card, they said they'd refund my credit card.

There was no option to email myself the transcript of the chat.

During the call, I got an email that the GC was now expected today, but still no tracking number. The carrier's web site lists the tracking number that was on the package as invalid.

Sorry for the detour.
robbierob03

Post by robbierob03 »

Was the December 28th price reduction the only sale typically seen for Deluxe and state? Sam's club and probably costco have it for the same price, just wondering if there's any benefit for holding out from purchasing.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

robbierob03 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:47 am Was the December 28th price reduction the only sale typically seen for Deluxe and state? Sam's club and probably costco have it for the same price, just wondering if there's any benefit for holding out from purchasing.
No one can predict the future, but as you see TurboTax controls the pricing. Offering it for $49.99, less a $10 discount, equals $39.99, has been the best price in the past.

Amazon did not offer it for less than $39.99. They required the purchase of a gift card, which they mailed. That was to get around TurboTax's requirement to sell it for $39.99.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Seasonal wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:24 pm Just to follow up, the gift card came, but it didn't work. After over 30 mins of online chat two Amazon CSRs. including sending them a picture of the gift card, they said they'd refund my credit card.

During the call, I got an email that the GC was now expected today, but still no tracking number. The carrier's web site lists the tracking number that was on the package as invalid.

Sorry for the detour.
Assume you peeled the sticker off, revealing the code, and entered that?
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

RickBoglehead wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:22 am
Seasonal wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:24 pm Just to follow up, the gift card came, but it didn't work. After over 30 mins of online chat two Amazon CSRs. including sending them a picture of the gift card, they said they'd refund my credit card.

Sorry for the detour.
Assume you peeled the sticker off, revealing the code, and entered that?
Yes. Apparently, the CSR tested the code after I sent a photo of the card, but couldn't get it to work either.
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

my gift card worked, yay!
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Seasonal wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:41 am Amazon promised me the $10 gift card on Monday Dec 30. Today (Tuesday) they email:

"New estimated delivery date: Monday, December 30, 2019"

Which is obviously ridiculous. The tracking page:

"Delayed, not yet shipped
"We will email you as soon as this order ships. You won't be charged until then. We're sorry for the inconvenience."

I'm hesitant to cancel this or ask them to give me an electronic gift card instead, for fear they'll mess up the Turbotax pricing.

Anyone else? Any suggestions beyond waiting (this isn't close to urgent, just annoying)?
I got the same message, purchase made on 12/29...still waiting for the gift card.
pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss »

Similar deal to what was posted earlier on this thread.

For today (3/17/2020) only...

Turbo Tax Deluxe + $10 amazon gift card for $39.99
https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Softwar ... B085FV174G

Found on The Cheapskate
https://www.cnet.com/cheapskate/
https://www.cnet.com/news/today-only-ge ... for-39-99/