Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 4908
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by dodecahedron » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:50 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:22 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:09 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:04 pm
02nz wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:31 pm
mur44 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:21 pm
Is Turbotax 2019 Deluxe usable on more than one PC?

In the past, the software allowed for up to 4 users.
I just installed the '19 desktop version and I think it said I could activate it on up to 10 PCs - maybe it was 5. But definitely more than 1. Of course the free e-file and one free state return are fixed.
Just to clarify. You can install TurboTax on all the computers you want. And, on each computer, you would have one free state return, and be able to file the federal return electronically for free. Been that way for years (note - I have not yet purchased 2019).
On amazon, it says "Includes 5 free federal e-files and one download of a TurboTax state product ($44.99 value) state e-file sold separately". So what is the purpose of the additional federal with only one-time state printing available?! :oops:
Let me try and explain it. I don't see why you're adding the word "PRINTING" though, they didn't say that word...

With TurboTax Deluxe, you can create as many federal returns as you want. There is no limit. You can only FILE ELECTRONICALLY 5 federal returns from THAT computer.

You can download ONE state into the TurboTax software. Once you complete the state return, you can PAY to FILE ELECTRONICALLY, in the past it's been $19.99. You can file that state in each different return you make, paying $19.99 for each electronic file.

You may PRINT anything you want and mail it in or stick it in a file drawer as many times as you want.

I file my federal return electronically, and I mail my state return in, because postage is much less than $19.99.

Hope that helps.
But if you live in New York, state law says your efiles are free! They are not allowed to charge an additional fee for efiling your state return. So no need to mail in NY state returns here to save on state efile fees.

rivercrosser
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by rivercrosser » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:29 pm

I just noticed if I buy TurboTax Deluxe with state + Quicken for 14 months I can get them for 59.98 total. My Quicken runs out in February so I'm going to need it anyway. Would be like getting them for 29.99 each. Rick, should I wait?

LAguy818
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:57 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by LAguy818 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:04 pm

rivercrosser wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:29 pm
I just noticed if I buy TurboTax Deluxe with state + Quicken for 14 months I can get them for 59.98 total. My Quicken runs out in February so I'm going to need it anyway. Would be like getting them for 29.99 each. Rick, should I wait?
Where are you getting this deal?

rivercrosser
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by rivercrosser » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:17 pm

LAguy818 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:04 pm
rivercrosser wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:29 pm
I just noticed if I buy TurboTax Deluxe with state + Quicken for 14 months I can get them for 59.98 total. My Quicken runs out in February so I'm going to need it anyway. Would be like getting them for 29.99 each. Rick, should I wait?
Where are you getting this deal?
Amazon. You put turbotax and quicken both in your cart and it takes 20.00 off. Theres a button to click on when your looking at turbotax that puts them both in your cart. Be careful you get the right one. It put the mac version of turbotax in cart for me so I had to change it to windows download version. I'm going to wait and see if the turbotax gets cheaper like it did last year. Maybe they will still give you 20.00 off on the quicken.

haranoth
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:07 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by haranoth » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am

After reading the forum, I am a bit confused as to whether the TT deluxe supports stock sale/capital gains 8949/schedule D ?
It seems only premium and up supports that ? Am I right after reading the following link?
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-ta ... e/desktop/

Can someone confirm that Schedule D/ 8949 is supported by TT deluxe? Thanks

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 7346
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by HueyLD » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:48 am

For the CD and download software, the BASIC version has every form you need.

csmath
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:32 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by csmath » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:17 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:13 pm
csmath wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:54 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:12 pm
rivercrosser wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:06 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:38 am


And it will be $39.99 minus the $10 gift card after Christmas if they repeat last year's offer. And, by using CamelCamelCamel, you can spend no effort awaiting the price drop... :wink:
I'm going to take your advice and try to be more patient this year. I track stuff with Honey. Is the CamelCamelCamel any better?
Never used Honey. CamelCamelCamel works great.
Question about CamelCamelCamel... It appears that CamelCamelCamel uses the web address of the listing to track it and doesn't track all listings with a similar name. If it is address specific, have you ever had an issue where the reduced price is a completely different listing and you missed the new offer? For example, there are a few versions of Deluxe+State on Amazon... one of them is 49.99 right now and the other is 59.99 with a $10 gift card.
You are correct that it only tracks a specific listing, not any listing with a similar name. So you'd want to track the one with the gift card to see if it drops to $39.99, and the one without the gift card to see if it drops to $29.99.

I know of no service that will do that math for you - Amazon is intentionally screwing around by listing the gift card FOR SALE to make their listing not comparable with anything else on the web. Think of it. They price the item up by $10.00, and include in the sale a $10.00 gift card. Then, since the software is downloadable, they spend money (and packaging) to mail the giftcard to you so that you can load it into your Amazon account. That delivery cost has got to be at least $5, maybe $10, even using their own drivers. Makes absolutely no sense.
PSA!! My CamelCamelCamel alarms went off this morning to alert me of a price reduction for the 2019 TurboTax Deluxe! The price was reduced by...

wait for it...

10 cents.

It is now 49.88 instead of 49.99 :D Not quite what I was going for with my first CamelCamelCamel experience... but it seems to be working as intended.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:25 pm

csmath wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:17 pm

PSA!! My CamelCamelCamel alarms went off this morning to alert me of a price reduction for the 2019 TurboTax Deluxe! The price was reduced by...

wait for it...

10 cents.

It is now 49.88 instead of 49.99 :D Not quite what I was going for with my first CamelCamelCamel experience... but it seems to be working as intended.
Set it for $39.99... On the plus $10 gift card listing.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

scotthal
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by scotthal » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:31 pm

Yaah .. set my CamelCamelCamel price alerts at $30, & $40 w/$10 gift card. No hurry.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

rkcs
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by rkcs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Quick question. I know TT Deluxe can process K1's but can they create K1's or do I need Home & Business for that? Thanks!

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:50 pm

rkcs wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm
Quick question. I know TT Deluxe can process K1's but can they create K1's or do I need Home & Business for that? Thanks!
Cannot create K1s in the interview to my knowledge, but I would have to verify. Can fill in a form though.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

rkcs
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by rkcs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:13 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:50 pm
rkcs wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm
Quick question. I know TT Deluxe can process K1's but can they create K1's or do I need Home & Business for that? Thanks!
Cannot create K1s in the interview to my knowledge, but I would have to verify. Can fill in a form though.
Thank you.

HomeStretch
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:28 pm

rkcs wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm
Quick question. I know TT Deluxe can process K1's but can they create K1's or do I need Home & Business for that? Thanks!
You cannot generate K-1s in Deluxe, you can only input them as an income item. I use TurboTax Business to generate K-1s (and Form 1065) for my partnership. It’s been awhile since I used Home & Business but as I recall it does not generate K-1s (or Business returns like Form 1065) either. It gives you a separate business tab to capture all business-related income and expenses. It seems geared towards a sole proprietorship or qualified joint venture with spouse where business information goes into Schedule C.

rkcs
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by rkcs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:39 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:28 pm
rkcs wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm
Quick question. I know TT Deluxe can process K1's but can they create K1's or do I need Home & Business for that? Thanks!
You cannot generate K-1s in Deluxe, you can only input them as an income item. I use TurboTax Business to generate K-1s (and Form 1065) for my partnership. It’s been awhile since I used Home & Business but as I recall it does not generate K-1s (or Business returns like Form 1065) either. It gives you a separate business tab to capture all business-related income and expenses. It seems geared towards a sole proprietorship or qualified joint venture with spouse where business information goes into Schedule C.
Thank you for the detailed response! I do need to generate K1s and 1065s. So looks like i need TT Business.

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:51 pm

I used TT for the first time last year; I got the 2018 Premier download version, but leaning toward Deluxe now. But it is unclear so far what exactly Premier can do that Deluxe cannot do. I'm guessing Premier must be a little more user friendly with the questionnaire mode regarding investments?? So, to clarify: ...

I believe the following statements are true; someone please correct me if I am wrong.
1. The TurboTax "desktop version", "CD", and "download version" are exactly the same version. (T/F)

2. The TurboTax Deluxe version can import 1099s from a pdf file on your computer, (e.g. from a brokerage account), but you cannot login to the brokerage from within TurboTax and import 1099 information automatically via a direct download from the brokerage into your TurboTax program. (T/F)

3. The Premier version, but not Deluxe, can login to the brokerage and download 1099 information directly into TurboTax. (T/F)

What else can Premier do that Deluxe cannot do?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Emg
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by Emg » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:08 pm

I've only ever used Deluxe and I always have it log into the brokerage and download the 1099 directly.

aristotelian
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by aristotelian » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:21 pm

haranoth wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:46 am
After reading the forum, I am a bit confused as to whether the TT deluxe supports stock sale/capital gains 8949/schedule D ?
It seems only premium and up supports that ? Am I right after reading the following link?
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-ta ... e/desktop/

Can someone confirm that Schedule D/ 8949 is supported by TT deluxe? Thanks
In case nobody responded, yes, Deluxe can handle investment gains and dividends. Will import data directly from most brokers. No need to get Premium.
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:51 pm
I used TT for the first time last year; I got the 2018 Premier download version, but leaning toward Deluxe now. But it is unclear so far what exactly Premier can do that Deluxe cannot do. I'm guessing Premier must be a little more user friendly with the questionnaire mode regarding investments?? So, to clarify: ...

I believe the following statements are true; someone please correct me if I am wrong.
1. The TurboTax "desktop version", "CD", and "download version" are exactly the same version. (T/F)

2. The TurboTax Deluxe version can import 1099s from a pdf file on your computer, (e.g. from a brokerage account), but you cannot login to the brokerage from within TurboTax and import 1099 information automatically via a direct download from the brokerage into your TurboTax program. (T/F)

3. The Premier version, but not Deluxe, can login to the brokerage and download 1099 information directly into TurboTax. (T/F)

What else can Premier do that Deluxe cannot do?
Deluxe does in fact directly import investment data. My impression is that Premier does more through interview questions, but I have never needed it so I wouldn't know.

sailaway
Posts: 919
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by sailaway » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:24 pm

RSUs and ESPPs are a pain because you have to know the price on dates besides what your brokerage maintains, depending on the actual program. Are y'all saying that Premier will do that lookup work for me? Or does it just offer an extra dialogue box, rather than me having to look up the directions?

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Emg wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:08 pm
I've only ever used Deluxe and I always have it log into the brokerage and download the 1099 directly.
aristotelian wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:21 pm
Deluxe does in fact directly import investment data. My impression is that Premier does more through interview questions, but I have never needed it so I wouldn't know.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And now, after some more searching:
Does the Deluxe Version for 2017 give you the ability to import investment information from a financial institution?

Does TurboTax 2018 Deluxe Desktop Version include full support for investments such as stocks, bonds, and other investments that result in capital gains/losses?

So apparently, from what I'm seeing, the Desktop (CD/download) version of Deluxe can do everything Premier can, except for some of the "interview" or questionnaire based forms of data entry.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Not a big issue for me, but FYI, still cannot re-download one-year-old TT from Amazon.
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 pm
Almost exactly 365 days ago, I bought 2018 TT Premier w/ one state by Amazon download (Windows). ...
Since then I got a new laptop. It took me a while to figure out how to get the one year old 2018 TT software running on my new laptop. ... On Amazon, I found the prior order, but the webpage for that item no longer exists. I could not see any way to re-download from Amazon.

[Solved] (workaround; still cannot re-download from Amazon)
... I went to my prior computer and found the download file in the "downloads" folder. Copied that file to new laptop and ran it. ... [Solved].

But what happens to people who have a hardware failure, or a laptop stolen? Isn't there some way to get a new download of 2018 software since I did pay for it? If not, is this a reason to not buy it from Amazon?
Gryphon wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:10 am
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 pm
But what happens to people who have a hardware failure, or a laptop stolen? Isn't there some way to get a new download of 2018 software since I did pay for it?
If you bought it as a digital download from Amazon (ie, not on a disc), then yes there is a way to re-download it. Log in to your Amazon account, and then on the main "Your Account" page, click on the link to "Digital Games and Software". That will take you to the "Your Digital Items" page where you can re-download your TurboTax purchases from previous years (or any other downloadable software you've bought from Amazon).

You can also get there from your order history. Find the order where you purchased TurboTax, click on "Order Details" for that order, then click on the "Go to your Software Library" button.
Yes, thank you for the response. I followed all your steps, but ...
It turns out, I still cannot re-download it. I don't need to, because I just copied my original download, but if I needed to re-download it, I can't.
Here is what I can do: I can find it in my previous orders - but when I click it there, I get "SORRY we can't find that page" (and a picture of a dog).
If I click "order details", I see my order; but clicking the TurboTax item goes to the same "SORRY" page, except it's a picture of a different dog. But if I click "order details" on the "your orders" page, then I get a link to "Go to Your Software Library".
Clicking that, I get to "Your Account > Your Digital Items" with another picture of TurboTax. When there, clicking the picture of TurboTax does nothing; clicking "View order details" gets me to a copy of the invoice.
If I do go to the invoice, there is a link to the TT product I bought, but it goes to the "SORRY" page.

The point is, on the Amazon "Your Account > Your Digital Items" "Downloads and Codes" page (the same page you go to by clicking "Your Account | Digital games and software"), there is no "download" button or any way to actually re-download the product one year later.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:18 pm

I see mine just fine, bought 12/28/18. Click Account & Lists, Your Account, Digital Games and Software.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 787
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:51 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:18 pm
I see mine just fine, bought 12/28/18. Click Account & Lists, Your Account, Digital Games and Software.
I see my last year’s purchase too, but I cannot download it; can you download yours?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:24 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:51 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:18 pm
I see mine just fine, bought 12/28/18. Click Account & Lists, Your Account, Digital Games and Software.
I see my last year’s purchase too, but I cannot download it; can you download yours?
Yup.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

mw1739
Posts: 625
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by mw1739 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:06 pm

What is my best option for year-end 2019 and/or initial 2020 tax planning? I've played around with Taxcaster, but it's not very easy to do "what-if" type scenarios. Is it worth paying the $40 to download TurboTax Deluxe?

For what it's worth, my CPA will file my return, so this is mostly just for personal playing around without the hassle or expense of asking the CPA for advice. Our financial situation is relatively simple, W-2's, stock sales and dividends, IRA RMDs etc.

User avatar
changingtimes
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by changingtimes » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:38 pm

BTW, I got a Turbo Tax update on Monday that has the state files available for download, if anyone was waiting on that.

PaunchyPirate
Posts: 139
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by PaunchyPirate » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:13 pm

changingtimes wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:38 pm
BTW, I got a Turbo Tax update on Monday that has the state files available for download, if anyone was waiting on that.
Apparently not all states. I got the update installed this morning and tried for my Pennsylvania update and it notified me it still wasn't ready. Estimated date is Friday (Dec. 19th).

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 7346
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by HueyLD » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:39 am

My state has never been ready until mid to late January.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 am

Even if a state is available in December, it is highly likely that there are other forms missing / not yet correct. Anyone using any of these tax packages prior to mid to late January is asking for issues.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

gd
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by gd » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:06 am

mw1739 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:06 pm
What is my best option for year-end 2019 and/or initial 2020 tax planning? I've played around with Taxcaster, but it's not very easy to do "what-if" type scenarios. Is it worth paying the $40 to download TurboTax Deluxe?

For what it's worth, my CPA will file my return, so this is mostly just for personal playing around without the hassle or expense of asking the CPA for advice. Our financial situation is relatively simple, W-2's, stock sales and dividends, IRA RMDs etc.
Seems easy enough to determine. How much does your CPA charge to give you such advice? I don't use one for my personal taxes, so actually would be interested in the answer.

User avatar
changingtimes
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by changingtimes » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 am
Even if a state is available in December, it is highly likely that there are other forms missing / not yet correct. Anyone using any of these tax packages prior to mid to late January is asking for issues.
I would imagine a lot of people here can't do taxes that early anyway, thanks to when brokerage 1099s come out.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 am

changingtimes wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 am
Even if a state is available in December, it is highly likely that there are other forms missing / not yet correct. Anyone using any of these tax packages prior to mid to late January is asking for issues.
I would imagine a lot of people here can't do taxes that early anyway, thanks to when brokerage 1099s come out.
Yet they persist in using the software early, then complaining when it doesn't calculate as they expect... :wink:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

gtd98765
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by gtd98765 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:32 am

gd wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:06 am
mw1739 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:06 pm
What is my best option for year-end 2019 and/or initial 2020 tax planning? I've played around with Taxcaster, but it's not very easy to do "what-if" type scenarios. Is it worth paying the $40 to download TurboTax Deluxe?

For what it's worth, my CPA will file my return, so this is mostly just for personal playing around without the hassle or expense of asking the CPA for advice. Our financial situation is relatively simple, W-2's, stock sales and dividends, IRA RMDs etc.
Seems easy enough to determine. How much does your CPA charge to give you such advice? I don't use one for my personal taxes, so actually would be interested in the answer.
For me in a HCOL area a few years ago, about $300. Fed & State, MFJ, mostly straightforward, but with one complication that Turbo Tax just could not handle correctly, a rarely-used line that was on the form, but the result did not flow through to other forms.

PSUSteve
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by PSUSteve » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:22 pm

PaunchyPirate wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:13 pm
changingtimes wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:38 pm
BTW, I got a Turbo Tax update on Monday that has the state files available for download, if anyone was waiting on that.
Apparently not all states. I got the update installed this morning and tried for my Pennsylvania update and it notified me it still wasn't ready. Estimated date is Friday (Dec. 19th).
PA is now available

anoop
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by anoop » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:10 am

FWIW, some B&M stores (notably Office Depot & Staples) will match the Amazon price.

gd
Posts: 1578
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by gd » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:15 am

...
Seems easy enough to determine. How much does your CPA charge to give you such advice? I don't use one for my personal taxes, so actually would be interested in the answer.
For me in a HCOL area a few years ago, about $300. Fed & State, MFJ, mostly straightforward, but with one complication that Turbo Tax just could not handle correctly, a rarely-used line that was on the form, but the result did not flow through to other forms.
$300 for the additional advice? Because you said you were considering buying TT just for the planning info, and your CPA would do it regardless.

I switched to Turbotax from TaxAct years ago for a similar reason, still had some lesser issues, and eventually discovered a checkbox in one of the worksheets that wasn't in the normal interview flow that solved my obscure problem entirely (forcing Form 1116). Might be worth it to gamble $50 and revisit, and check the various online forums.

User avatar
cowdogman
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by cowdogman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 am
changingtimes wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 am
Even if a state is available in December, it is highly likely that there are other forms missing / not yet correct. Anyone using any of these tax packages prior to mid to late January is asking for issues.
I would imagine a lot of people here can't do taxes that early anyway, thanks to when brokerage 1099s come out.
Yet they persist in using the software early, then complaining when it doesn't calculate as they expect... :wink:
I always buy early and do a draft return in December, which I never look at again--I just start a fresh return once the 1099s, etc. come in.

The draft in December virtually always gives me year-end planning ideas--it did this year--probably saving me a couple thousand $$.

But my taxes are somewhat complicated--couple Schedule Cs, 529 distributions, retirement savings.

Paying full retail (or close to it) as soon as TT comes out is worth it to me.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:37 pm

cowdogman wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:00 pm
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:27 am
changingtimes wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:25 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 am
Even if a state is available in December, it is highly likely that there are other forms missing / not yet correct. Anyone using any of these tax packages prior to mid to late January is asking for issues.
I would imagine a lot of people here can't do taxes that early anyway, thanks to when brokerage 1099s come out.
Yet they persist in using the software early, then complaining when it doesn't calculate as they expect... :wink:
I always buy early and do a draft return in December, which I never look at again--I just start a fresh return once the 1099s, etc. come in.

The draft in December virtually always gives me year-end planning ideas--it did this year--probably saving me a couple thousand $$.

But my taxes are somewhat complicated--couple Schedule Cs, 529 distributions, retirement savings.

Paying full retail (or close to it) as soon as TT comes out is worth it to me.
Use last year's version. Free.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

mtmingus
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by mtmingus » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 am
I would also consider and try Free Tax USA. I used it last year for the first time and was very pleased. Essentially the federal filing is free and one pays for state filings.

Specifically for our state however I was able to log directly online to our state website and file for free.
Is Free Tax USA more like TurboTax Premier (Investments: Cap Gains, Div, Int, IRA...) or Deluxe (Maximize tax deductions & credits) ?

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 17042
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by abuss368 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 am
I would also consider and try Free Tax USA. I used it last year for the first time and was very pleased. Essentially the federal filing is free and one pays for state filings.

Specifically for our state however I was able to log directly online to our state website and file for free.
Is Free Tax USA more like TurboTax Premier (Investments: Cap Gains, Div, Int, IRA...) or Deluxe (Maximize tax deductions & credits) ?
It has everything and is very comprehensive and easy to use. I already did a quick and dirty projection using estimated information so I have a ball park estimate of where we will end the year.

I recommend the program. And it is free.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

aristotelian
Posts: 6669
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by aristotelian » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:08 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 am
I would also consider and try Free Tax USA. I used it last year for the first time and was very pleased. Essentially the federal filing is free and one pays for state filings.

Specifically for our state however I was able to log directly online to our state website and file for free.
Is Free Tax USA more like TurboTax Premier (Investments: Cap Gains, Div, Int, IRA...) or Deluxe (Maximize tax deductions & credits) ?
Deluxe does investments just fine. From what I can tell, the only upside of Premier has to do with video assistance and other bells and whistles, not with tax capabilities.

FreetaxUSA does all of the above as well but one difference that as of last time I used it, it does not directly import investment data, you have to enter it all manually.

Pete3
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by Pete3 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:28 am

It's amazing how many people think they need to get Turbotax Premier when Deluxe has everything they need - Intuits misleading advertising causes the confusion that some people must use premier

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes ... /00/707674

"All the same forms, schedules and worksheets are in each TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition as shown on the TurboTax website for the desktop CD/Download editions.

The difference in the desktop CD/Download editions is the amount of help and guidance in each edition."

kacang
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:43 am
Location: CA

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by kacang » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Pete3 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:28 am
It's amazing how many people think they need to get Turbotax Premier when Deluxe has everything they need - Intuits misleading advertising causes the confusion that some people must use premier
Count us as one of those who were conned. This thread is illuminating, we will try Deluxe for 2019 filing instead of the usual Premier. Thanks BH!

ankzap
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by ankzap » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:42 am

Both CD and Mac download of Deluxe + State is $39.88 now.

BogleMelon
Posts: 2238
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:47 am

Should we buy now or wait for further discounts?!
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

TJHOFF
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:49 am
Location: Northern KY

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by TJHOFF » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:53 am

I wouldn't wait, I couldn't click fast enough. I don't think I paid less for the Fed and State Deluxe. (Plus I get my 4th quarter Discover 5% cash back)

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:31 am

Last year there was also a $10 gift card. It was on the 28th.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

BogleMelon
Posts: 2238
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:49 am

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:07 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:31 am
Last year there was also a $10 gift card. It was on the 28th.
The one with gift card is already on Amazon but at $49.88! Should I wait 2 more days just in case it got cheaper?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YH2W223/?c ... _lig_dp_it
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

User avatar
BigFoot48
Posts: 2757
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:47 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by BigFoot48 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:10 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:07 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:31 am
Last year there was also a $10 gift card. It was on the 28th.
The one with gift card is already on Amazon but at $49.88! Should I wait 2 more days just in case it got cheaper?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YH2W223/?c ... _lig_dp_it
I got the gift card bonus last year so I'm waiting to see if the lightning strikes twice.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 5601
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:41 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:07 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:31 am
Last year there was also a $10 gift card. It was on the 28th.
The one with gift card is already on Amazon but at $49.88! Should I wait 2 more days just in case it got cheaper?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YH2W223/?c ... _lig_dp_it
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=294347&start=50#p4866494
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

mtmingus
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by mtmingus » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:43 am

aristotelian wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:08 pm
mtmingus wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:34 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:59 am
I would also consider and try Free Tax USA. I used it last year for the first time and was very pleased. Essentially the federal filing is free and one pays for state filings.

Specifically for our state however I was able to log directly online to our state website and file for free.
Is Free Tax USA more like TurboTax Premier (Investments: Cap Gains, Div, Int, IRA...) or Deluxe (Maximize tax deductions & credits) ?
Deluxe does investments just fine. From what I can tell, the only upside of Premier has to do with video assistance and other bells and whistles, not with tax capabilities.

FreetaxUSA does all of the above as well but one difference that as of last time I used it, it does not directly import investment data, you have to enter it all manually.
Thanks! May give Free Tax USA a try this year.

Post Reply