Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Zephavest

Re: Turbotax 2019 on Amazon

Post by Zephavest » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:58 pm

seymore92 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm
Today TurboTax 2019 desktop (at least for mac) has an update available under Check for Updates. It seems to have enabled 1099-R I think.
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my TurboTax 2019 Home & Business, Windows version, there was an update available as well. I did the update and then checked the 1099-R section, yes, it is now working.

changingtimes

Post by changingtimes » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Zephavest wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:58 pm
seymore92 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm
Today TurboTax 2019 desktop (at least for mac) has an update available under Check for Updates. It seems to have enabled 1099-R I think.
Thanks for the heads up, I just checked my TurboTax 2019 Home & Business, Windows version, there was an update available as well. I did the update and then checked the 1099-R section, yes, it is now working.
Yup, was just coming here to say that, Windows 10 edition.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:11 pm

So is it a wise move to buy the desktop version of TurboTax instead of web version? Also is it better to buy it now vs later this year or next year?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:57 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:11 pm
So is it a wise move to buy the desktop version of TurboTax instead of web version? Also is it better to buy it now vs later this year or next year?
In past years the desktop version has had key features that the web version lacked. Don't know about 2019 versions.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm

gtd98765 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:57 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
In past years the desktop version has had key features that the web version lacked. Don't know about 2019 versions.
Such as what?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

jacoavlu

Post by jacoavlu » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Forms view is one feature that I don’t think online has.

TFB has a good summary

https://thefinancebuff.com/tax-software ... sktop.html

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:10 pm

Almost exactly 365 days ago, I bought 2018 TT Premier w/ one state by Amazon download (Windows). It was the first time I ever used TT to do my taxes (CPA prior to that). AFAIK, no copy of my return was online, just on my local computer.
Since then I got a new laptop. It took me a while to figure out how to get the one year old 2018 TT software running on my new laptop. Online login to intuit didn't have a way for me to download that I could see. They have no record of any purchase by me (since I bought from Amazon). On Amazon, I found the prior order, but the webpage for that item no longer exists. I could not see any way to re-download from Amazon.

[Solved]
But since I knew the date I bought it (from Amazon's past order search), I went to my prior computer and found the download file in the "downloads" folder. Copied that file to new laptop and ran it. So I did eventually figure it out and I have no problem now. (I do have cloud back up and external SSD backup of some of my folders, and tax files, but I don't think I included the download folder; I suppose now I will). [Solved].

But what happens to people who have a hardware failure, or a laptop stolen? Isn't there some way to get a new download of 2018 software since I did pay for it? If not, is this a reason to not buy it from Amazon?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:10 am

But what happens to people who have a hardware failure, or a laptop stolen? Isn't there some way to get a new download of 2018 software since I did pay for it?
If you bought it as a digital download from Amazon (ie, not on a disc), then yes there is a way to re-download it. Log in to your Amazon account, and then on the main "Your Account" page, click on the link to "Digital Games and Software". That will take you to the "Your Digital Items" page where you can re-download your TurboTax purchases from previous years (or any other downloadable software you've bought from Amazon).

You can also get there from your order history. Find the order where you purchased TurboTax, click on "Order Details" for that order, then click on the "Go to your Software Library" button.

But neither of those will work if you purchased TurboTax on disc. In that case, you have to reinstall it from the disc you were sent.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm

For people who taxable account investment, wouldn't they need the Premier version to report it?
I don't know what "taxable account investment" means.

If you're asking:

If one owns a taxable brokerage or mutual fund account (such as Vanguard, Schwab, etc.), does one need Premier?

The answer is absolutely not. TurboTax Deluxe handles taxable, retirement (both taxable and Roth), 401ks, 403bs, etc. all just fine.
I've long felt that Intuit's marketing materials are a little misleading, or at least unclear, for the desktop product. They seem to imply that you need Premier for Schedule D; whereas Deluxe can handle it, as you noted. The difference between the two versions seems to be the level of interview assistance?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:36 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:40 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:44 pm

For people who taxable account investment, wouldn't they need the Premier version to report it?
I don't know what "taxable account investment" means.

If you're asking:

If one owns a taxable brokerage or mutual fund account (such as Vanguard, Schwab, etc.), does one need Premier?

The answer is absolutely not. TurboTax Deluxe handles taxable, retirement (both taxable and Roth), 401ks, 403bs, etc. all just fine.
I've long felt that Intuit's marketing materials are a little misleading, or at least unclear, for the desktop product. They seem to imply that you need Premier for Schedule D; whereas Deluxe can handle it, as you noted. The difference between the two versions seems to be the level of interview assistance?
Not a little misleading. Intentionally a lot misleading.

All forms are in all editions.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:00 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm
gtd98765 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Such as what?
TT Deluxe online did not include Schedule D (Cap Gains), while desktop TT Deluxe did
Desktop allows you to prepare any number of tax returns for different people, and includes fed filing for 5 people; save the different returns under different file names
Desktop allows you to do "what if" calculations, and save the return under a different name; helps tax planning for the next year.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 am

gtd98765 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:00 am
BogleMelon wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:01 pm
gtd98765 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Such as what?
TT Deluxe online did not include Schedule D (Cap Gains), while desktop TT Deluxe did
Desktop allows you to prepare any number of tax returns for different people, and includes fed filing for 5 people; save the different returns under different file names
Desktop allows you to do "what if" calculations, and save the return under a different name; helps tax planning for the next year.
Thank you!
I used to do it with the online version, but the free edition. This year I have a brokerage account and would need to pay anyways.
This thread was very invaluable to me!

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:14 am

Note: I switched from Turbotax to Block years ago, but this is generic advice that applies to both products.

Advantage of buying the download (or CD) version is that you can lock in a good price *at the initial time* you purchase the product.

With the web version, it is free to use *until* you are ready to efile (or print) your final return for submission to the IRS. Who knows what the price will be at the time? You are not locking in a price with the web version. You put in a ton of work entering and proofreading all the data, work that will be all for naught if you decide the price is too high at the point that you are ready to finalize your return (efile or print it.) So, most folks will bite the bullet and say, Okay, I will pay whatever it takes at that point. Software makers know that and exploit that. Prices typically go up as filing deadlines approach.

So I have always stuck to the download or CD version. And I buy it relatively early (Black Friday sales for the win!) for year end planning purposes (crossed checked with other sources, including my brain and NBER TaxSim).

Note that if you buy early (and file much later, as I do), you will of course be able to download updates between time of purchase and time of filing.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:42 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:14 am
for year end planning purposes (crossed checked with other sources, including my brain and NBER TaxSim).
Hi dodecahedron,

Please tell us more what NBER TaxSim is? the link is not working.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:36 am

While all forms may be available, please tell us how the Basic, Deluxe or Premier handle the Schedule C for example, for business. Do they offer the step by step interview questions to explain how to handle different business expenses and deductions?

I've been buying the Turbotax Home & Business for years, for this very reason, saving money on the cheaper versions would be great but just having the forms does not help you to know how to fill them out.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:22 am

Zephavest wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:49 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:36 am

While all forms may be available, please tell us how the Basic, Deluxe or Premier handle the Schedule C for example, for business. Do they offer the step by step interview questions to explain how to handle different business expenses and deductions?

I've been buying the Turbotax Home & Business for years, for this very reason, saving money on the cheaper versions would be great but just having the forms does not help you to know how to fill them out.
I use Deluxe.

This thread is about CD/Download, not online. Never used online. It does not have the same features per version that the CD/Download has.

Deluxe handles schedule C just fine in the interview. There is zero reason to buy anything else. I have done schedule C for many years. I have documented this each year for people, yet TT guilts/scares people into buying more than they need. You are a perfect example of success in their marketing strategy. Stop falling for it.

If you don't trust me, buy Deluxe and use TT's guarantee to get a refund. You won't need to.

Satisfaction Guaranteed (or Guaranteed Easy).
If you do not accept this Agreement or if you are not satisfied with the Software, you may uninstall and delete all copies of the Software from your computer(s) and return it within 60 days of purchase with a dated receipt for a full refund. If the store where you purchased your license is unable or unwilling to issue a refund or you obtained the Software directly from Intuit, you may uninstall and delete all copies of the Software and return the Software with a dated receipt or packing slip within 60 days of shipment via U.S. mail to Intuit Inc., ATTN: Returns Department, PO Box 580926, Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158, US or via UPS to Intuit Inc., ATTN: Returns Department, Door 20 11500 80th Avenue, Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158, US. In the case where you purchased a license and obtained the Software directly from Intuit via an Internet download, you may submit a written request to Intuit including your name, contact and product order information to Intuit Inc., ATTN: Returns Department, 5809266, Pleasant Prairie, WI 53158, US.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am

Zephavest wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:42 am
dodecahedron wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:14 am
for year end planning purposes (crossed checked with other sources, including my brain and NBER TaxSim). link fixed now
Hi dodecahedron,

Please tell us more what NBER TaxSim is? the link is not working.
Sorry, I posted before drinking my coffee. I have fixed the link in my post above (as well as within this quote.)

TaxSim is a free tax simulator website made available by the National Bureau of Economic Research (nonprofit scholarly thinktank) that is highly respected by tax policy scholars and practitioners (e.g., Congressional committee staff and Treasury Dept employees use it for modeling.) It has two modalities:

1) you can just plug in about 30 parameters (or leave them set to their zero default values) for various categories of income, deductions, dependent, filing status, state of residence, ages of taxpayer & spouse, and tax year (any year between 1960 and 2023) on a simple one page form, click a button and get pretty good quick & dirty estimates for federal & state tax liability, effective marginal tax rates, AGI, taxable income, etc.

OR

2) You can upload a whole spreadsheet of parameters (e.g., to simultaneously model many different scenarios of Roth conversions, or whatever other variable(s) you might want to vary and compare) and get a spreadsheet of results back. (That output spreadsheet could then of course be graphed or further analyzed in whatever way you want. Fun fact: I have heard that the IRS uses TaxSim to analyze the taxes of the top 400 income taxpayers it is required to report to Congress on each year and other similar real taxpayer data. To preserve their anonymity the IRS is not allowed to identify the state, so it gets a spreadsheet with all 51 possible state & DC tax parameters so nobody intercepting the file would know which the state the taxpayer they are studying actually lives in!) This modality actually allows you to analyze up to a million scenarios at once!

The user interface is a bit kludgy (not a commercial program, it was originally written in FORTRAN back in the 1970s and still is. It is designed for tax nerdy folks like me.)

That said, once you get used to it, it can be very helpful in getting a quick bird´s eye view of what is going on with your taxes. The guy who originally wrote the program and still maintains it is very highly respected and it gets a lot of tire-kicking and feedback from well-informed tax policy folks.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:22 am

Deluxe handles schedule C just fine in the interview. There is zero reason to buy anything else. I have done schedule C for many years. I have documented this each year for people, yet TT guilts/scares people into buying more than they need. You are a perfect example of success in their marketing strategy. Stop falling for it.

If you don't trust me, buy Deluxe and use TT's guarantee to get a refund. You won't need to.
Great info, I'll give Deluxe a try, thank you.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 am

dodecahedron wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:43 am

TaxSim is a free tax simulator website made available by the National Bureau of Economic Research (nonprofit scholarly thinktank) that is highly respected by tax policy scholars and practitioners (e.g., Congressional committee staff and Treasury Dept employees use it for modeling.)
Great info on TaxSim, thank you.

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:09 am

cowdogman wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:20 pm
I always buy the Home and Business version. Most years I buy as soon as available on Amazon, but this year I think I'll wait. It always drops in price within a few weeks. Plus when I bought it last year it was barely functional--there were so many "incomplete" sections--and the main reason I wanted it last year was for the QBI deduction calculation and that was one of the "to come" forms.
Yeah same here. Had to basically go through everything 3x to make sure it all finalized correctly. But with rentals and a farm we need that version

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:52 am

I sold a property this year and have a large capital gains.

Will Deluxe handle that or should I go to Premier?

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:46 am

BlueEars wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:52 am
I sold a property this year and have a large capital gains.

Will Deluxe handle that or should I go to Premier?
I used Deluxe (download) when I sold my rental and it worked great.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:51 am

Gryphon wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:10 am
But what happens to people who have a hardware failure, or a laptop stolen? Isn't there some way to get a new download of 2018 software since I did pay for it?
If you bought it as a digital download from Amazon (ie, not on a disc), then yes there is a way to re-download it. Log in to your Amazon account, and then on the main "Your Account" page, click on the link to "Digital Games and Software". That will take you to the "Your Digital Items" page where you can re-download your TurboTax purchases from previous years (or any other downloadable software you've bought from Amazon).

You can also get there from your order history. Find the order where you purchased TurboTax, click on "Order Details" for that order, then click on the "Go to your Software Library" button.

But neither of those will work if you purchased TurboTax on disc. In that case, you have to reinstall it from the disc you were sent.
Not necessarily. When I've had to move TT from a desktop computer to a laptop with no disk-drive, I just called the the 800 number and explained my dilemma -- I purchased the disk ver at costco and could not run it on my laptop as it does not have a disk drive. The Rep then loaded a copy of the download instructions into 'my TT account' and I was able to download TT2018 onto my laptop with no problems.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:34 pm

So I just downloaded it off Amazon so I can run some numbers for Roth conversions. Is anyone else seeing that TurboTax is using the 2018 HSA contribution limit of $3,450 instead of 2019's $3,500? Mine has all the updates yet still tells me to remove $50 of contributions if I don't want to pay the excise tax.

rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:56 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:34 pm
So I just downloaded it off Amazon so I can run some numbers for Roth conversions. Is anyone else seeing that TurboTax is using the 2018 HSA contribution limit of $3,450 instead of 2019's $3,500? Mine has all the updates yet still tells me to remove $50 of contributions if I don't want to pay the excise tax.
It's early yet. It will check for updates every time you use it. It will get corrected eventually. Meanwhile here's a link to a good tool to run different numbers. Only drawback its only for federal.

https://www.mortgagecalculator.org/calc ... ulator.php

MP123

Post by MP123 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:15 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:34 pm
Yes, I'm seeing the same thing for the HSA. I think the forms haven't all been updated even though they say 2019. Form 2210 still shows the 80% underpayment safe harbor that was only for last year for example.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 pm

Thanks, I know from previous experience there will be lots and lots of updates before anyone can actually file a return, just wanted to confirm what I thought was happening.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Turbo Tax and H&R Block both have solid products. One will not go wrong with either.

However, we ultimately decided to go the Boglehead route and keep costs low. As such we decided to use Free Tax USA again this year for free.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:16 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 pm
Turbo Tax and H&R Block both have solid products. One will not go wrong with either.

However, we ultimately decided to go the Boglehead route and keep costs low. As such we decided to use Free Tax USA again this year for free.
After using TT for years, I came to a decision to start using Taxact to save money. after 2nd year of using it or so, I found that Taxact didn't treat correctly the sale of I bonds on the state level. It seemed like kind of a bug at the state tax section. Thankfully I was only trying the online version and haven't paid yet. Since then I decided not to bother with a few more dollars and decided to get the best tax product I feel confident with.
Not saying that any of these other cheaper products are inherently bad, or that TT is free of bugs either, but I mean I decided personally to not let the cost my main factor when picking the tax software.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:17 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:16 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:30 pm

After using TT for years, I came to a decision to start using Taxact to save money. after 2nd year of using it or so, I found that Taxact didn't treat correctly the sale of I bonds on the state level. It seemed like kind of a bug at the state tax section. Thankfully I was only trying the online version and haven't paid yet. Since then I decided not to bother with a few more dollars and decided to get the best tax product I feel confident with.
Not saying that any of these other cheaper products are inherently bad, or that TT is free of bugs either, but I mean I decided personally to not let the cost my main factor when picking the tax software.
Fair point. I found Free Tax USA to be very comprehensive.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Related to discussions in this thread about differences between editions: I've used Premier for many years because of TT's marketing (investments and rental income), but switched to Deluxe this year (desktop version). I see no difference at all in how investments and rental income are handled. Maybe Premier has more hand-holding available, but I certainly see no reason to pay extra for Premier.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:57 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:29 pm
Related to discussions in this thread about differences between editions: I've used Premier for many years because of TT's marketing (investments and rental income), but switched to Deluxe this year (desktop version). I see no difference at all in how investments and rental income are handled. Maybe Premier has more hand-holding available, but I certainly see no reason to pay extra for Premier.
Thanks! I'll try the deluxe version this year.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:52 pm

Am following this thread
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 am

Just played with TT Premier. Please don't ask why is suckered for Premier, but son #1 sold an owner occupied duplex and ......

Anyway, when entering a Roth conversion, TT is not adding the conversion amount to income.

And the interview dealing with Foreign Income Exclusion and foreign tax credit is no more helpful in Premier than last year's Deluxe. I guess I am not surprised. The 2555 and 1116 forms are still from 2018 anyway. Last I looked the IRS hadn't updated the so not TT fault.

Buyer beware for another month or so.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:16 pm

Dale_G wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 am
Just played with TT Premier. Please don't ask why is suckered for Premier, but son #1 sold an owner occupied duplex and ......

Anyway, when entering a Roth conversion, TT is not adding the conversion amount to income.

And the interview dealing with Foreign Income Exclusion and foreign tax credit is no more helpful in Premier than last year's Deluxe. I guess I am not surprised. The 2555 and 1116 forms are still from 2018 anyway. Last I looked the IRS hadn't updated the so not TT fault.

Buyer beware for another month or so.

Dale
I buy it when I can get the best price. Usually can't file till middle of february waiting on everything. By the middle of January or before it should be updated to latest forms. Just let it update every time you use it and at filing time. I still have TurboTax 2018 on my computer. Went in to it the other day to look at something and it updated some stuff on start up. I had it updated when I filed last february before I sent them in. Its always been that way, but I never have had anything that affected my taxes.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:51 pm

I’ve had my CamelCamelCamel (https://camelcamelcamel.com/) search set to alert me to any TurboTax price drops below my target ($40) on Amazon for almost a month now. On Nov 6th, the price of Deluxe+State dropped from $59.99 to $49.99, but hasn’t yet reached my target. Fingers crossed...

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:51 pm
I’ve had my CamelCamelCamel (https://camelcamelcamel.com/) search set to alert me to any TurboTax price drops below my target ($40) on Amazon for almost a month now. On Nov 6th, the price of Deluxe+State dropped from $59.99 to $49.99, but hasn’t yet reached my target. Fingers crossed...
After reading here that it is usually getting cheaper during Black Friday, I have set the same alert and waiting for the same drop. This would be my first time ever to purchase the desktop version so I am wondering, for how many years it followed the same discount timeline? I mean, is it really guaranteed that it will get cheaper soon? Any data point is appreciated.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:54 pm

No guarantees...only hope.

Norton750

Post by Norton750 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
In my experience, the TurboTax Deluxe + state disk version drops below $40 a couple of days past Christmas each year. This then remains the price through the tax season. Everyone posts the sub-$40 price at the same time (Amazon, Staples, etc.).

I haven't yet caught a sub-$40 price for this version on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

YMMV

north2016

Post by north2016 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:43 pm

I have always used Turbotax online. If I go with the desktop version for 2019, will it be able to import information from my prior year's return (done online)? Thanks

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:55 pm

north2016 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:43 pm
I have always used Turbotax online. If I go with the desktop version for 2019, will it be able to import information from my prior year's return (done online)? Thanks
I've used the desktop version for a few years now but 99% certain that when I made the switch from online to desktop I was able to import. I think you might need to log in online, and save the previous return as a .tax file or whatever.

rivercrosser

Post by rivercrosser » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Just sayin... wrote:
I'm watching it on Amazon. I just looked at last years order. Got it for $39.99 on December 2. You had to buy a $10.00 gift card to get that price. I just used it on my next order. I don't remember seeing a better deal.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:28 pm

rivercrosser wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:30 pm
Just sayin... wrote:
I'm watching it on Amazon. I just looked at last years order. Got it for $39.99 on December 2. You had to buy a $10.00 gift card to get that price. I just used it on my next order. I don't remember seeing a better deal.
No reason to watch it, use CamelCamelCamel. Just bought an item that dropped $10, lowest price ever.

TT was $39.99 after Christmas last year with a $10 gift card, so $29.99 net cost. That's for Deluxe plus state.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:40 pm

emoore wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:08 am
jburke wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:21 pm
Can Deluxe handle rental properties - Schedule E?
Yes it does. I've used Deluxe for years with rental properties with no issues.
+1

north2016

Post by north2016 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:03 am

02nz wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:55 pm
north2016 wrote:
I've used the desktop version for a few years now but 99% certain that when I made the switch from online to desktop I was able to import. I think you might need to log in online, and save the previous return as a .tax file or whatever.
Thanks for the info. Can anyone else confirm this?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:13 am

north2016 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:03 am
02nz wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:55 pm
north2016 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Can anyone else confirm this?
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/br ... /L6dCzx14b

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:54 am

I don't see anyone here pointed out at this. But TT on Amazon now comes with:
Exclusively at Amazon, receive a free 1 year subscription to Quicken Starter Edition 2019 ($29.99 value) with your purchase of TurboTax
I am not interested in Quicken. But would that be their reason not to decrease the price furthermore?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:59 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:54 am
Exclusively at Amazon, receive a free 1 year subscription to Quicken Starter Edition 2019 ($29.99 value) with your purchase of TurboTax
I am not interested in Quicken. But would that be their reason not to decrease the price furthermore?
I think it's more likely that's their strategy to get you to try Quicken and then hopefully renew the subscription next year when it's not free.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Zephavest

Post by Zephavest » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:26 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:54 am
As a long time TT user, that offer has been in place for years, regardless if the retailer advertises it or not. You see the offer everytime you start TT on the main page.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:01 am

Today is the BF. TT Deluxe 2019 + State price is still $49.99 on Amazon. I was under the impression that the new discounted prices starting today. Based on the previous years, when should I expect the $39.99 price or lower?