Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Jelloanddon

Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

Post by Jelloanddon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:03 pm

Has anyone been successful on getting the annual $450 waived? I did call and ask and it was a firm no. I’ve been a cardholder for 3 years and also a Private Client. Just wondering.

BruDude

Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Fees Waived?

Post by BruDude » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:05 pm

I've tried and they won't budge. You do get $300 back automatically on the travel credits so $150 isn't too bad...worth it to me.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 pm

I will be attempting to get the $75 fee waived on the 2nd card, saying we don't need the 2nd priority pass. I want the 4.25% equivalent value on dining/travel points redeemed for travel. My Uber card is going bye bye.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Chase waived the annual fee on the mileage plus card for several years, but the reserve card fee is not likely to be waived IMO. The best you will get is a partial statement credit, and probably not even that. Here's how to call and ask.

"Yeah, I've been a chase customer for a x years and last year I spend 60k on my chase cards. I am thinking about whether I would like to renew my cards and keep my accounts at Chase or go to Bank of America, which seems to have a nice rewards program. Can you please check and see if there are any offers on my account? Sure, I am happy to hold while you research that."

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:22 am

Cycle wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:08 pm
I will be attempting to get the $75 fee waived on the 2nd card, saying we don't need the 2nd priority pass. I want the 4.25% equivalent value on dining/travel points redeemed for travel. My Uber card is going bye bye.
My wife has the CSR and we decided to simply forego having a second card. I can still use her card to book travel online. We're almost always together when using Priority Pass, likewise when dining out. No real added value from having a second physical card.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:35 am

oxothuk wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:22 am
Cycle wrote:
My wife has the CSR and we decided to simply forego having a second card. I can still use her card to book travel online. We're almost always together when using Priority Pass, likewise when dining out. No real added value from having a second physical card.
I want my own card so I can not tip at counter service restaurants. My wife would tip at McDonald's if there were the option.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Cycle wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:35 am
oxothuk wrote:
Cycle wrote:
I want my own card so I can not tip at counter service restaurants. My wife would tip at McDonald's if there were the option.
Can you add your wife's card to your phone (e.g. Apply Pay, Samsung Pay)? That way, you can still control tips while avoiding the second card fee.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Cycle wrote:
oxothuk wrote:
Cycle wrote:
Just request a replacement card from Chase and then you have two to use with the same #. There's a fee for second card due to priority pass that comes with it, not because of the two cards.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm

There are quite a few reports from FlyerTalk and other places that Chase will not waive the annual fee or even provide a credit as a retention offer. It's not a money maker for them by itself, so if you want to cancel, they won't stop you.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm

HornedToad wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:23 pm
Cycle wrote:
oxothuk wrote:
Cycle wrote:
Just request a replacement card from Chase and then you have two to use with the same #. There's a fee for second card due to priority pass that comes with it, not because of the two cards.
Would the replacement card invalidate the original card? Wouldn't the replacement card come with a new number? Not to mention having a woman's name on it.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm

Cycle wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:51 pm
Would the replacement card invalidate the original card? Wouldn't the replacement card come with a new number? Not to mention having a woman's name on it.
I have two, identical CSR cards . . . though the way I obtained them was by accident. When I opened the account, I expected the card to be shipped as fast as a new AMEX Platinum card (and was assured of expedited delivery by Chase). However, upon not receiving the card in several days, I called to inquire and the Rep. said they hadn't shipped it yet but it would be expedited. A couple of days later, I received the card . . . and a day after that another one with an identical number and CVV.

My wife carries the extra card :D

KT785

rich126

Post by rich126 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:06 pm

The CSR hasn't exactly been a profit maker for Chase so it is pretty unlikely that they would waive fees or even give any kind of retention bonus. After the easy $300 credit it only is a $150 fee with some generous travel reimbursement benefits, good points earnings and nice partners and/or 1.5 cent point transfers.

Not surprising they aren't offering much of anything.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:10 pm

Cycle wrote:
Wells Fargo Propel combined with Signature Visa gets you 4.5% back on dining, travel, and gas when used for airfare without any annual fees.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Cycle wrote:
If you go online, you can request a replacement for a lost or damaged card. I'd guess replacing a damaged card would get you a new card with the same number. Perhaps someone can confirm?

In my experience, almost no vendor in the US even looks at the name on the card. Using it overseas could be more of a problem.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:13 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:10 pm
Cycle wrote:
Wells Fargo Propel combined with Signature Visa gets you 4.5% back on dining, travel, and gas when used for airfare without any annual fees.
I'm sure this has been covered, but how do you combine the Propel with a Signature Visa? Do you have to already have a Signature Visa card?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:13 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Cycle wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered, but how do you combine the Propel with a Signature Visa? Do you have to already have a Signature Visa card?
You have to apply for both separately. Wells Fargo only pays bonuses every 15 months so it takes well over a year to get this setup going. I’d recommend the Signature card first.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:20 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:16 pm
Seasonal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:13 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Cycle wrote:
You have to apply for both separately. Wells Fargo only pays bonuses every 15 months so it takes well over a year to get this setup going. I’d recommend the Signature card first.
Curious why Signature card first? I got the Propel about 13 months ago so coming up quick on the Signature Visa and I have enjoyed the forced saving of points.

If you have a spouse, partner, or close-friend you can also have them get the other card and transfer the points to get the 1.5X multiplier.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 pm

If I'm reading correctly, the Chase Sapphire cards have much better trip protections (e.g., reimburse for cancelling if an approved reason or for hotels if your flight is cancelled) than the Propel. That may be worth the extra cost of the Chase card.

Chase also credits points immediately, with 3 points per dollar for travel and dining, and you can use them at 1.5 cents per point through their travel portal, so effectively 4.5% back on travel and dining.

If one travels a lot, Chase seems better.

I'd be happy to be shown that I'm wrong about this.

feehater

Post by feehater » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 pm

We found a way. And all it took was my spouse joining the military!

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 pm

BruDude wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:05 pm
I've tried and they won't budge. You do get $300 back automatically on the travel credits so $150 isn't too bad...worth it to me.
I had this card for three years and finally cancelled it. I often thought the same way with the $300 travel credit offsetting a portion of the annual fee. However, I read somewhere that it's not really the case.

Pay $450 annual fee.
Charge $300 worth of travel.
Get credit for $300.

You are still out the $450 annual fee aren't you?

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:47 pm

stilllurking wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:44 pm
BruDude wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:05 pm
I had this card for three years and finally cancelled it. I often thought the same way with the $300 travel credit offsetting a portion of the annual fee. However, I read somewhere that it's not really the case.

Pay $450 annual fee.
Charge $300 worth of travel.
Get credit for $300.

You are still out the $450 annual fee aren't you?
Sure, but if you're already traveling anyway....even things like Uber rides are covered under the travel category. I will always have at least $300 in travel charges so it's the same as paying $150 to me.

stilllurking

Post by stilllurking » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm

I understand your point. Though you had to "spend" something to get it offset with the credit. I need to spend it before I get it back. It's not like you just get the $300 come back on your statement for the sake of having paid the annual fee.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I would like to understand how my thinking is incorrect and then my need to wait 4 years before applying again to get a sign up bonus. :mrgreen:

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:51 pm
If I'm reading correctly, the Chase Sapphire cards have much better trip protections (e.g., reimburse for cancelling if an approved reason or for hotels if your flight is cancelled) than the Propel. That may be worth the extra cost of the Chase card.

Chase also credits points immediately, with 3 points per dollar for travel and dining, and you can use them at 1.5 cents per point through their travel portal, so effectively 4.5% back on travel and dining.

If one travels a lot, Chase seems better.

I'd be happy to be shown that I'm wrong about this.
While I am not extremely well versed in the Wells Fargo world, I can give you the breakdown for the CSR:

If you are cashing out your Ultimate Rewards points via the Chase Travel Portal they are worth $0.014325/pt. You do not earn rewards on redemptions therefore you need to subtract the rewards forgone from that purchase. Compare this to say the Altitude Reserve where you redeem your rewards via text message and then offset purchases at a full $0.015/pt and earning rewards on the purchases.

$300 Travel Credit is worth IMO about $270. I conclude this because it is often pretty easy to get 10% discount on most travel via gift cards, etc.. Additionally, the $300 in spend earns no rewards, further reducing your rewards by $12.89 (900 * $0.014325). So the $300 travel credit, to me, would be about $257 back into your pocket. If you don’t agree with this line of thinking with regards to the travel credit ask yourself this question: would you pay $300 cash for a $300 travel credit? The answer, I would think for most people, is no.

With regards to Chase’s protections, everyone needs to determine what those are worth to you. You also need to determine what Priority Pass is worth to you...I personally haven’t found much of any value from Priority Pass on my travel patterns. Of course, people who frequently fly out of airports with Priority Pass restaurants or great Priority Pass lounges in terminals they fly out of may have a different opinion.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:32 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:55 pm
Additionally, the $300 in spend earns no rewards, further reducing your rewards by $12.89 (900 * $0.014325). So the $300 travel credit, to me, would be about $257 back into your pocket.
The $300 in spend still earns rewards by the way. For example, in December, I spend over $300 on various travel items including Uber ($17.14), Uber Eats ($17.99 and $68.97), Parking at SFO ($6), a rental car from Enterprise ($165.05), and parking at a local amusement park ($10). I earned rewards on those line items and was issued various travel credits adding up to $300 on my January statement. None of those could have purchased with discounted gift cards as far as I know. Not saying the CSR is for everybody but for many people its fairly easy to get to $300 even without large travel purchases. So for me and for most folks, the $300 travel credit is worth exactly $300.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
While I am not extremely well versed in the Wells Fargo world, I can give you the breakdown for the CSR:

If you are cashing out your Ultimate Rewards points via the Chase Travel Portal they are worth $0.014325/pt. You do not earn rewards on redemptions therefore you need to subtract the rewards forgone from that purchase. Compare this to say the Altitude Reserve where you redeem your rewards via text message and then offset purchases at a full $0.015/pt and earning rewards on the purchases.

$300 Travel Credit is worth IMO about $270. I conclude this because it is often pretty easy to get 10% discount on most travel via gift cards, etc.. Additionally, the $300 in spend earns no rewards, further reducing your rewards by $12.89 (900 * $0.014325). So the $300 travel credit, to me, would be about $257 back into your pocket. If you don’t agree with this line of thinking with regards to the travel credit ask yourself this question: would you pay $300 cash for a $300 travel credit? The answer, I would think for most people, is no.

With regards to Chase’s protections, everyone needs to determine what those are worth to you. You also need to determine what Priority Pass is worth to you...I personally haven’t found much of any value from Priority Pass on my travel patterns. Of course, people who frequently fly out of airports with Priority Pass restaurants or great Priority Pass lounges in terminals they fly out of may have a different opinion.
I had thought that if I spend $10,000 on travel with a CSR, I'd get 30,000 points and I could use those points in Chase's travel portal to offset $450 worth of, e.g., airfare. I would not get any rewards on this $450. Is this incorrect?

Where can I get gift cards that will give me 10% off airfare? Do hotels or travel agents tend to take gift cards? Please expand on this topic.

Trip cancellation insurance in case of a serious medical issue in me, my travel companion or immediate family members makes me feel better.

I have no use for Priority Pass. Regular airport lounges are usually fine.

I spend a fair amount on travel.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:46 pm

mervinj7 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:32 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Additionally, the $300 in spend earns no rewards, further reducing your rewards by $12.89 (900 * $0.014325). So the $300 travel credit, to me, would be about $257 back into your pocket.
The $300 in spend still earns rewards by the way. For example, in December, I spend over $300 on various travel items including Uber ($17.14), Uber Eats ($17.99 and $68.97), Parking at SFO ($6), a rental car from Enterprise ($165.05), and parking at a local amusement park ($10). I earned rewards on those line items and was issued various travel credits adding up to $300 on my January statement. None of those could have purchased with discounted gift cards as far as I know. Not saying the CSR is for everybody but for many people its fairly easy to get to $300 even without large travel purchases. So for me and for most folks, the $300 travel credit is worth exactly $300.
The $300 reimbursement does not earn points. It was a noted change within year 1 of the CSR’s release (along with the $300 reimbursement changing from annually to card member year). As reimbursements come in it subtracts 3 points per dollar from your UR account so you net to 0 points earned on those purchases.

Uber you can frequently purchase discount gift cards. For example, I have 7 $30 off $300 Best Buy AMEX offers to use. I will be purchasing a mixture of gas, Amazon, and Uber GCs for use during the upcoming year.

Rental cars can frequently be obtained on discount with AMEX offers. Additionally you can purchase gift cards at a discount for many rental car agencies periodically throughout the year (admittedly Enterprise does not sell gift cards).

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:00 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:36 pm

I have no use for Priority Pass. Regular airport lounges are usually fine.

I spend a fair amount on travel.
Priority Pass is a decent value. Last time I used 2 times for 3 people in Heathrow. Unlimited food (not great but ok) and drinks. I saved easily 100$, probably more. Yes, the lounge is not great, tiny, overcrowded, hard to get a seat, but it's a decent place to spend on hour.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Cycle wrote:
HornedToad wrote:
Cycle wrote:
oxothuk wrote:
Cycle wrote:
If it's a replacement card for a damaged card, it will have the same number. Merchants never look at the name on the card unless (occasionally) when you're buying a gift card.

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:46 pm
Rental cars can frequently be obtained on discount with AMEX offers. Additionally you can purchase gift cards at a discount for many rental car agencies periodically throughout the year (admittedly Enterprise does not sell gift cards).
You would be giving up primary CDW insurance if you used your Amex (unless you had the Amex add-on insurance) or a gift card. For me that perk alone makes the CSR worth it to me.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:43 am

Seasonal wrote:
I had thought that if I spend $10,000 on travel with a CSR, I'd get 30,000 points and I could use those points in Chase's travel portal to offset $450 worth of, e.g., airfare. I would not get any rewards on this $450. Is this incorrect?
I'm rethinking the CSR. The travel portal uses Expedia which does not have a good reputation for booking flights. If you have a problem (including flights delayed or cancelled) you have to deal with Expedia customer service (as you would with any travel agent) rather than dealing with airline directly, which reportedly can involve major hassles.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:04 am

Seasonal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:43 am
Seasonal wrote:
I'm rethinking the CSR. The travel portal uses Expedia which does not have a good reputation for booking flights. If you have a problem (including flights delayed or cancelled) you have to deal with Expedia customer service (as you would with any travel agent) rather than dealing with airline directly, which reportedly can involve major hassles.
You can get much better value transferring the UR points to one of their travel partners. I've done this with both Hyatt and Marriott for value at roughly 2X what I would have gotten using the points to purchase the same rooms through their portal.

I personally never use Expedia for booking airfares. I book directly with the airline and pay with my airline branded CC for free checked bags and priority boarding. I do use Expedia to research hotels (along with Trip Advisor) and make sure I am getting the best rate possible though.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 am

MikeG62 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:04 am
Seasonal wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:43 am
Seasonal wrote:
You can get much better value transferring the UR points to one of their travel partners. I've done this with both Hyatt and Marriott for value at roughly 2X what I would have gotten using the points to purchase the same rooms through their portal.

I personally never use Expedia for booking airfares. I book directly with the airline and pay with my airline branded CC for free checked bags and priority boarding. I do use Expedia to research hotels (along with Trip Advisor) and make sure I am getting the best rate possible though.
I will have to try harder to use Hyatt and Marriott points (I currently have the CSP and am thinking of the CSR). We usually stay in higher room categories and points tend to book into the base rooms. You can use Hyatt points to upgrade from a cash base rate room to a premium suite.

We usually fly business class, so free checked bags, priority boarding and (for other cards) priority pass or centurion lounges are not useful card benefits for us.

Even redeeming points for cash would yield 3% back on travel and dining purchases (without having to open a new bank or brokerage account, as some higher percentage cards appear to require).

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:07 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm
There are quite a few reports from FlyerTalk and other places that Chase will not waive the annual fee or even provide a credit as a retention offer. It's not a money maker for them by itself, so if you want to cancel, they won't stop you.
When the CSR was first introduced, I did not qualify for it. I will be able to get it in February-March 2020, and I keep hoping that they would increase the sign-up bonus. If they are losing money on the CSR, they don't have an incentive to increase the bonus.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Topic Author
Jelloanddon

Post by Jelloanddon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:38 pm

HornedToad wrote:
Cycle wrote:
oxothuk wrote:
Cycle wrote:
But don’t you need to tell them there’s another authorized user? My husband is listed as an authorized user and his card has his name on it.

Topic Author
Jelloanddon

Post by Jelloanddon » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:40 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:12 pm
Cycle wrote:
If you go online, you can request a replacement for a lost or damaged card. I'd guess replacing a damaged card would get you a new card with the same number. Perhaps someone can confirm?

In my experience, almost no vendor in the US even looks at the name on the card. Using it overseas could be more of a problem.
It’s not often, but on occasion I have been asked to see my driver’s license when using my card.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:24 pm

stilllurking wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm
I understand your point. Though you had to "spend" something to get it offset with the credit. I need to spend it before I get it back. It's not like you just get the $300 come back on your statement for the sake of having paid the annual fee.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I would like to understand how my thinking is incorrect and then my need to wait 4 years before applying again to get a sign up bonus. :mrgreen:
Well not quite. You no longer receive points or anything else for your $300 credit, and you would have been able to charge that $300 to some other card, so you do lose out on whatever benefits you would have gotten. So maybe $160? I have considered getting CSR for the protections but haven't decided yet. If the travel medical benefits were more generous I'd probably go for it.

I'd be surprised if they waived the fee, ever.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:07 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:37 pm
When the CSR was first introduced, I did not qualify for it. I will be able to get it in February-March 2020, and I keep hoping that they would increase the sign-up bonus. If they are losing money on the CSR, they don't have an incentive to increase the bonus.

Victoria
I would be really surprised if they raised the bonus. They just had a 10,000 increase on the Preferred card, which I know you have already, but my thoughts are if they did that on the Preferred, why not do it on the Reserve? They also tend to do $60 retention offers on the Preferred. It makes sense. With the Preferred, they are making money on the card. Enough people probably use it for everything, not just travel, which costs Chase 1 UR point each and if they don't use the travel portal, they're not out anything, they're making money. With the Reserve, there are a host of other costs for Chase. There were rumors of them adding some credits a la Amex, but we'll see.

tibbitts wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:24 pm
stilllurking wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:52 pm

Well not quite. You no longer receive points or anything else for your $300 credit, and you would have been able to charge that $300 to some other card, so you do lose out on whatever benefits you would have gotten. So maybe $160? I have considered getting CSR for the protections but haven't decided yet. If the travel medical benefits were more generous I'd probably go for it.

I'd be surprised if they waived the fee, ever.
This is my whale, as it were. I shake my head every time someone says that the CSR is a "$150 annual fee" card. It's not. As you and Jags stated, you don't zero points on the spend. Nada. For un-bonused spend, you should be getting at least 2 cents per point with the Citi Doublecash. With travel, it would normally be 3 UR, valued at minimally 4.5 cents per point. Let's go with the 2 cents. So, $300 of spend at 2% is $6 of value gone. So it's really a $156 annual fee card because I just lost $6 on my $300 of spend. Then we take the point Jags made that most travel can be had at a discount. Uber is constantly 10% off, Southwest is constantly 10% off, Hotels.com is 15% off or more, there are usually Amex offers to lower the cost of travel, so, I value the travel credit conservatively at $270 as opposed to $300. So, the card is really a $186 annual fee card to me. Is it worth it? That depends on how much you value the Priority Pass, travel insurance, primary rental car insurance and other benefits. And again, the CSP usually comes with a $60 annual fee credit, so that card is $35 per year.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:47 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 pm
Southwest is constantly 10% off
Where do you constantly get 10% off Southwest?

You get CSR's $300 credit as long as you buy any travel for that amount during the year, including highway tolls and parking meters, subway fare, car rentals (which should go on the card to get primary insurance) and incidental fees like TSA charges when 95% of total ticket cost is paid by frequent flyer points (which should also be charged to CSR for the trip protections). There's no way I could live my life without spending $300 in refundable travel each year. From my accounting, claiming "$156 CSR net annual fee" is totally sound.

Marylander1

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:10 am

We put my wife’s CSR on my iPhone for Apple Pay use instead of paying for a second card. The trouble is Apple Pay is often not an option for payment so I do carry one physical credit card (Southwest visa).

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:07 am

Marylander1 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:47 am
BeneIRA wrote:
Southwest is constantly 10% off
Where do you constantly get 10% off Southwest?

You get CSR's $300 credit as long as you buy any travel for that amount during the year, including highway tolls and parking meters, subway fare, car rentals (which should go on the card to get primary insurance) and incidental fees like TSA charges when 95% of total ticket cost is paid by frequent flyer points (which should also be charged to CSR for the trip protections). There's no way I could live my life without spending $300 in refundable travel each year. From my accounting, claiming "$156 CSR net annual fee" is totally sound.

Marylander1
Through gift cards. Usually through PayPal Digital Gifts, sometimes through Samsung Pay. This one just ended: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ppdg-220 ... many-more/. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, Southwest's prices this year have skyrocketed. I had a companion pass for just about the full two years from 2017 to 2018 and I have noticed the costs of the flights I took have gone up considerably. I barely fly Southwest anymore. I believe the 737 MAX grounding really hit them hard.

bberris

Post by bberris » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 am

Jelloanddon wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:38 pm
HornedToad wrote:
Cycle wrote:
oxothuk wrote:
Cycle wrote:
But don’t you need to tell them there’s another authorized user? My husband is listed as an authorized user and his card has his name on it.
It's perfectly ok to permit someone to use your card. They don't need to be an authorized user. Then again, the vendor does not have to accept the card, but I can't imagine them refusing especially with the same last name. I've given cards to step kids to use, different name, no problem.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am

BeneIRA wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I would be really surprised if they raised the bonus. They just had a 10,000 increase on the Preferred card, which I know you have already, but my thoughts are if they did that on the Preferred, why not do it on the Reserve? They also tend to do $60 retention offers on the Preferred. It makes sense. With the Preferred, they are making money on the card. Enough people probably use it for everything, not just travel, which costs Chase 1 UR point each and if they don't use the travel portal, they're not out anything, they're making money. With the Reserve, there are a host of other costs for Chase. There were rumors of them adding some credits a la Amex, but we'll see.
I cancelled the CSP so that I could qualify for the CSR. Right now, my travel card is Chase Ink Preferred. After I get the CSR, I will cancel the CIP. My plan is to wait until I become eligible for the CSR bonus and get it at whatever bonus they offer.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am

BeneIRA wrote:

Then we take the point Jags made that most travel can be had at a discount. Uber is constantly 10% off, Southwest is constantly 10% off, Hotels.com is 15% off or more, there are usually Amex offers to lower the cost of travel, so, I value the travel credit conservatively at $270 as opposed to $300.
I don’t think this makes sense. The $300 travel credit is against the amount actually paid, not a hypothetical undiscounted cost. So if the “constant” Southwest discount less you pay $300 for a $333.33 flight, the credit kicks in in full. How is that not worth $300? It isn’t limited to travel booked through the UR site or some other artificial price.
Last edited by EddyB on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 am

ZinCO wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
You would be giving up primary CDW insurance if you used your Amex (unless you had the Amex add-on insurance) or a gift card. For me that perk alone makes the CSR worth it to me.
For someone who regularly rents cars, one of the sapphire products will pay for itself relatively quickly. The valuation allowance for not earning points on the $300 is maybe 2-4% (best RoR from a no fee card) so its pretty much same as cash.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 am
ZinCO wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:40 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
For someone who regularly rents cars, one of the sapphire products will pay for itself relatively quickly. The valuation allowance for not earning points on the $300 is maybe 2-4% (best RoR from a no fee card) so its pretty much same as cash.
Most people don't buy the rental car coverage, have their own car insurance that would cover rental cars, and have free credit card with secondary coverage. Having a card that gives primary is nice but for a vast majority of people the monetary value of this benefit is minimal unless they personally would be buying the retal car coverage if they didn't have the card.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:46 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am
BeneIRA wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I cancelled the CSP so that I could qualify for the CSR. Right now, my travel card is Chase Ink Preferred. After I get the CSR, I will cancel the CIP. My plan is to wait until I become eligible for the CSR bonus and get it at whatever bonus they offer.

Victoria
I would expect the 50,000 Ultimate Rewards, but that's still a good bonus.
EddyB wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am
BeneIRA wrote:

Then we take the point Jags made that most travel can be had at a discount. Uber is constantly 10% off, Southwest is constantly 10% off, Hotels.com is 15% off or more, there are usually Amex offers to lower the cost of travel, so, I value the travel credit conservatively at $270 as opposed to $300.
I don’t think this makes sense. The $300 travel credit is against the amount actually paid, not a hypothetical undiscounted cost. So if the “constant” Southwest discount less you pay $300 for a $333.33 flight, the credit kicks in in full. How is that not worth $300? It isn’t limited to travel booked through the UR site or some other artificial price.
If I were selling you a $300 travel credit with the exact same terms as the Sapphire Reserve. How much would you pay me for it?

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:46 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am
BeneIRA wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria

Victoria
I would expect the 50,000 Ultimate Rewards, but that's still a good bonus.
EddyB wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am
BeneIRA wrote:

If I were selling you a $300 travel credit with the exact same terms as the Sapphire Reserve. How much would you pay me for it?
That's the wrong analysis, as there'd be extra transactional friction, which is lacking in the case where I'm going to have the card anyway. I don't disagree that you're losing whatever reward you would have received with another card (that's why I deleted out that part). So with no transactional friction, I'd be indifferent between paying $300 on a card with x% reward and paying (1-x)% of $300 for a travel credit.

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:10 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
[They just had a 10,000 increase on the Preferred card, ... but my thoughts are if they did that on the Preferred, why not do it on the Reserve?
The 10,000 increase on Preferred coupled with the elimination of the first-year $95 annual fee waiver. So, essentially, that those 10k "bonus" miles cost $95.

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:16 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
$293.
According to our 2019 YTD Chase spending report, we've spend $12k on the travel category on the CSR. As much I love discounts and coupons, I don't see myself buying "discounted" gift cards for everything that was tagged as Travel. Heck, I spend over $350 just on airport parking alone. But hey, if you really like to spend time buying up Enterprise, Uber, Hotels.com, etc gift cards, then all the more power to you. But do you really see the vast majority of people doing that? For many of us who regularly use their the CSR, that first $300 in travel category spend is pretty quick. If it wasn't, then the CSR is not the right card for that particular person.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Flobes wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:10 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
[They just had a 10,000 increase on the Preferred card, ... but my thoughts are if they did that on the Preferred, why not do it on the Reserve?
The 10,000 increase on Preferred coupled with the elimination of the first-year $95 annual fee waiver. So, essentially, that those 10k "bonus" miles cost $95.
That's fair. I value the 10,000 UR points over the $95 annual fee, so I made a recommendation to someone to get it (I had no referral link and so recommended they use someone else's) and they went for it.
mervinj7 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:16 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
$293.
According to our 2019 YTD Chase spending report, we've spend $12k on the travel category on the CSR. As much I love discounts and coupons, I don't see myself buying "discounted" gift cards for everything that was tagged as Travel. Heck, I spend over $350 just on airport parking alone. But hey, if you really like to spend time buying up Enterprise, Uber, Hotels.com, etc gift cards, then all the more power to you. But do you really see the vast majority of people doing that? For many of us who regularly use their the CSR, that first $300 in travel category spend is pretty quick. If it wasn't, then the CSR is not the right card for that particular person.
That logic works for me. It's a hobby for me and it's fun. Just grabbed several hotels.com gift cards from Samsung Pay with my Chase Freedom since it is linked to Chase Pay, so I get the 5X UR as well. Most people won't do that, which is fine with me.