Car rental insurance experiences

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheCowbell

Car rental insurance experiences

Post by TheCowbell » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm

I never take any additional insurance offered when renting a car. I have a credit card with coverage and traditional auto insurance.

Over the years I've experienced varying responses from agents when I decline, from 'meh' to outright calling me an idiot for my foolish financial decisions in life.

Is there ever a situation where you might pay for additional insurance when you normally don't?

I have never had any damage that I was responsible for. Would like to hear from anyone that did experience damage during a rental, and any advice you'd give having gone through it.

My once piece of advice: always spend a few seconds walking around the car and video recording all sides, taking care to zoom in on any dings or scratches or damage. Also I like to start my phone's video recorder as I pull up to the attendant as I'm exiting the rental lot, and make sure to mention each and every bit of damage I saw, no matter how minor. They always wave it off as no big deal - I like having that video on hand, just in case.

Thanks!

willthrill81

Re: Car rental insurance experiences

Post by willthrill81 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:19 pm

The only situation where I would consider rental car insurance is in a foreign nation where my own insurance didn't apply or where the local laws and/or practice were such that dealing with a claim from a company in another nation (i.e. my own insurance company) would be a problem (e.g. a banana republic). I've heard of stories where someone got in an auto accident in a third-world country and the local officials gave them huge flak about not having 'recognized' insurance. But I have no intention of traveling to such a country and even less of renting a car in one.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 am

I damaged two tires on a rental vehicle rendering the vehicle undrivable. Under CDW the rental company came out with another car and that was the end of it. No paperwork, no insurance claims, no deductibles, no bills, no additional charges, no delays, no hassles.

Note CDW is not insurance. It is a damage waiver, and that is the point.

This is the only time anything happened to a car in dozens of rentals. I have never experienced "bogus" claims for minor cosmetic damage, etc.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:36 am

I used to get the rental counter insurance pitch constantly, I got in a habit of just saying "No. The credit card insurance covers the car, and my personal insurance covers me", and I never get any further push-back, at most they ask who I'm insured with.
I have had to buy the insurance once though, my U.S. drivers license was going to expire during my rental period and they wouldn't rent to me using my foreign license unless I purchased insurance.

I don't have any first hand usage of using the car insurance, but I have heard stories from others. I had a co-worker who bought the rental companies insurance and was glad he did, backed into a pole, dropped off the car with agency and that was the end of it, from the way he made it sound it was a very simple process. I've also heard experiences of people dealing with similar situations and using the credit card companies insurance, seemed to be significantly more complicated, playing middle-man and getting required documentation from the rental car company and passing to cc administrator, questions about whether or not the cc will cover "loss of use" by the rental car company, and just a significantly more complicated process.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 am

It is certainly easy to be comfortable declining the CDW as being a scam and relying on credit card or own company insurance when nothing happens and there are no claims to file. It is equally easy to not worry about any insurance if nothing is going to happen. I don't think pressure from counter agents or the likely fact that CDW is a good profit center should be a reason for a renter to fail to consider his own self-interest. After that it is up to individual choice. I don't tell people what they should or shouldn't do.

I am sure there are plenty of examples of success with own insurance so hopefully we will hear some of those. There are some real horror stories as well, especially with rentals outside the US.

Barefoot

Post by Barefoot » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am

I'm in the middle of a dispute with Europcar.

When picking up a car, I mentioned a minor flaw on a wheel to the lot attendant, who said not to worry about documenting it because it was small.

Of course, when I returned the car, they documented it and charged my credit card for the damage after I got home.

I had taken a picture of the flaw when I picked up the car, and sent this to them. They did not respond, so now I am disputing the charge with my credit card company.

desiboy

Post by desiboy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am

I keep an Amex card just for this purpose. For $25 (or maybe $30), I get primary rental insurance coverage for the entire rental period (less than 30 days).
(edit)
Forgot to mention - you have to enroll in the service from Amex...after which they automatically bill you the amount when you rent and charge to the card.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Rented with friends in Grand Cayman. He flubbed up a turn and we were in an accident. We had bought the insurance but I still got stuck with half the $600 deductible. Simple and easy, though. Fast forward to a one day rental in Cozumel. I bought the expensive insurance and was completely covered when the car was extensively "keyed" while parked. Brand new car, too. I decline the insurance in U S though. No issues so far.

cpumechanic

Post by cpumechanic » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello

I have used the Amex $25/rental insurance that claims to act as primary insurance in case of any issue.
On my last trip I used my Chase Ink card that provides primary insurance coverage for "free".

I have yet to make use of either, and yes.. taking a video of the car when you depart, and when you return to document any damage is a good idea. Last rental in Rome Italy they sent me images via email of damage present on the car, and included scrapes on the alloy wheels, which surprised me (Hertz).

So... if you take a video, be sure to take clear close ups of each wheel, as wheels can cost $1000 each depending on the car you get.

Hope this helps

CPU
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for Lunch. | Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

doneat53

Post by doneat53 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 pm

I often get told in Hawaii that there is extensive downtime while the car is being fixed because they have to wait for parts to ship from the mainland. I can't believe it takes much longer to ship stuff to Hawaii than anywhere else in the US but I suppose if they shipped it by boat it could take extra time.

Rental counter people state they charge a daily "loss of revenue" fee for each day they are waiting for the repair that they can't rent the car and that many credit card and insurance companies don't cover this cost. I probably should call the CC company and check but this is the one situation that makes me think twice about declining the rental insurance at the counter. I always do though....

doneat

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:22 pm

My Chase Sapphire card has primary coverage and I generally waive the CDW in the U.S. My only damage situation occurred about three years ago when I was covered by the American Express premium car rental protection, a product mentioned above. I no longer have an Amex card, but the coverage worked fine that time, and the claim went smoothly. With a credit card that has secondary coverage, I would be a little more likely to take the CDW, especially if I am in an unfamiliar area.

My Chase coverage includes "loss of use," but from what I've read, the car rental agencies are bad about providing the records necessary to substantiate the loss of use claim for "insurance" coverage purposes.

CWRadio

Post by CWRadio » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:38 pm

doneat53 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 pm
people state they charge a daily "loss of revenue" fee for each day they are waiting for the repair that they can't rent the car and that many credit card and insurance companies don't cover this cost. I probably should call the CC company and check but this is the one situation that makes me think twice about declining the rental insurance at the counter. I always do though....

doneat
Do rental companies also charge you for the additional deprecation due to the car needing repairs for resale value when using your credit card? Paul

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:51 pm

Has anyone rented a car, declined the CDW coverage, then had an accident? Did your insurance company handle it without problems?

TravelforFun

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:01 pm

I also use the AMEX insurance coverage for primary coverage.

marielake

Post by marielake » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:55 pm

I did not purchase insurance on a car rental in Ireland and had an accident. They charged my credit card for the damage. The rental company was not cooperative with my credit card company. Car was rented thru Auto Europe. I eventually contacted them to explain the problem and they told me that was one benefit of renting from them and they would take care of it. They did. I should have gone to Auto Europe first and saved myself a lot of aggravation.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:35 pm

doneat53 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 pm
I often get told in Hawaii that there is extensive downtime while the car is being fixed because they have to wait for parts to ship from the mainland. I can't believe it takes much longer to ship stuff to Hawaii than anywhere else in the US but I suppose if they shipped it by boat it could take extra time.

Rental counter people state they charge a daily "loss of revenue" fee for each day they are waiting for the repair that they can't rent the car and that many credit card and insurance companies don't cover this cost. I probably should call the CC company and check but this is the one situation that makes me think twice about declining the rental insurance at the counter. I always do though....

doneat
"Loss of use" is not covered by credit card insurance even if the credit card company says it is, since to cover a "loss of use" claim the credit card company will demand fleet utilization data which the rental company will refuse to provide as it is confidential business information.

The solution to the above if you rent regularly is to add an "unlimited non-owned coverage" (UNOC) rider to your auto policy.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Loss of use is generally covered by credit card coverage. The problem is that the credit card company usually will ask for proof from the rental car company that car would have been rented out in order to pay. The rental car company will not provide this. You are left in the middle.

I have been involved in an “accident” once and had a non accident related incident once.

The “accident” happened when I wasn’t paying attention and hopped a curb and practically tore the bumper off. The car was rented through my company for business. I don’t know what our agreement is but the folks at the Hertz return didn’t say a thing.

The issue I had was when renting a car in Iceland. I declined the insurance and they placed a $5000 hold on my credit card. When I returned the car they claimed all this paint chip and windscreen pitting damage. Stuff so small that you couldn’t even prove it was there from the pictures I took prior to renting the vehicle. My credit card was chargeD $1000. I went through the Chase rental car coverage, and although it took a few weeks because all of the paperwork provided by the rental car company was in Icelandic. I did receive a check for $1000 from Chase about 3 weeks after the claim. In the future I would purchase CDW waiver for international rentals simply to avoid the heartache.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:24 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:51 pm
Has anyone rented a car, declined the CDW coverage, then had an accident? Did your insurance company handle it without problems?

TravelforFun
You'll also get dinged by your auto insurance, your rates will probably go up, and you've got one less accident before they declined to renew you.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 pm

Lee_WSP wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:24 pm
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
You'll also get dinged by your auto insurance, your rates will probably go up, and you've got one less accident before they declined to renew you.
How is that different from you having an accident in your own car?

TravelforFun

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:48 pm
Lee_WSP wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:24 pm
TravelforFun wrote:

TravelforFun
How is that different from you having an accident in your own car?

TravelforFun
You cannot outsource your own insurance. And you absolutely positively must pay for any damages to the rental. You can't just drive around with a dinged bumper.

Obviously it doesn't make sense if you've got zero accidents on record. But if you're on the bubble, it may be worth it. You also aren't as familiar with a car that is not your own, so your actual risk goes up slightly.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:00 am

TheCowbell wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm
I never take any additional insurance offered when renting a car. I have a credit card with coverage and traditional auto insurance.

Over the years I've experienced varying responses from agents when I decline, from 'meh' to outright calling me an idiot for my foolish financial decisions in life.

Is there ever a situation where you might pay for additional insurance when you normally don't?

Your best bet is to review your auto insurance, as well as, your CC rental insurance policies now, when you're not traveling, as opposed to saving this until the week or night before --- or just forgetting and assuming that your CC/insurer has your back. For example --- the Uhaul box car type rentals, they are usually excluded from coverage. If you smash up the box car, you're on the hook. If you have the insurance, Uhaul does not care because you bought the insurance. While we're on the subject --- if you have a nice performance car and take it to the track, you're no longer covered under your insurance policy. Generally, you can buy track insurance for the day you go to the track.

CC benefit revisions have seen a ton of movement in the last few months --- price protection, extended warranties, etc. and other stuff is being dropped by major cards. Rental insurance may or may not be.

The insurance Hertz (or whatever) offer is generally pretty good and generous --- E.g. you rent a car, slide it off the road and wrap it around a tree, you're usually out nothing or a very nominal deductible, and it won't be held against you by the current insurer. Though, insurance claims are rolled up into a national database that all insurers share to track fraud and consumers.

For those counter folks --- they've seen the good and bad of insurance. You just don't want to find yourself in a situation where you thought you had appropriate insurance and in reality, had nothing. (e.g. Not the same, but I've seen people buy stuff with motors on forums --- power washers, mowers, etc. --- and state that they used some card that extended the warranty by X years; every CC EW contract I have read specifically excludes petrol powered motors)

Being informed will put you 99% of the way there, and odds are, you have sufficient coverage --- but none of us can say this for certain until you read the policy you're covered under.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:31 am

Barefoot wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am
I'm in the middle of a dispute with Europcar.

When picking up a car, I mentioned a minor flaw on a wheel to the lot attendant, who said not to worry about documenting it because it was small.

Of course, when I returned the car, they documented it and charged my credit card for the damage after I got home.

I had taken a picture of the flaw when I picked up the car, and sent this to them. They did not respond, so now I am disputing the charge with my credit card company.
Exact same thing happened to my dad.

SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:40 am

Always check the fine print on your insurance policy. Some auto insurance policies will transfer to a rental, but only if the rental car is equivalent to the vehicle on your policy. (ie, if you drive a Camry, they’ll cover a Camry or other equivalent full size car, but not necessarily a Cadillac). Almost all credit card coverages have a MSRP cap on the vehicles they will cover.

Cyanide123

Post by Cyanide123 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:57 am

TheCowbell wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:02 pm

I have never had any damage that I was responsible for. Would like to hear from anyone that did experience damage during a rental, and any advice you'd give having gone through it.

My once piece of advice: always spend a few seconds walking around the car and video recording all sides, taking care to zoom in on any dings or scratches or damage. Also I like to start my phone's video recorder as I pull up to the attendant as I'm exiting the rental lot, and make sure to mention each and every bit of damage I saw, no matter how minor. They always wave it off as no big deal - I like having that video on hand, just in case.

Thanks!
If renting for more than a couple of days, I'll use my American Express card which charges a flat $20 for primary coverage for up to 42 days (i think it's 42 days).

Otherwise between visa and my normal car insurance, I'm pretty well covered to begin with

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:52 am

There is only one situation where I pay for rental insurance. And that is for work. They pay for it and sometimes it's a requirement. I've never had a damage claim when renting for personal use so I don't know how effective the credit card insurance is.

However, someone backed into me while parked on a business trip. I didn't notice but the rental return personnel did. They verified I paid for insurance. Then I had to wait 10 minutes for them to produce paperwork for me to sign stating they notified me of the damage and that it will be investigated and I would be responsible for the costs. Since I paid for insurance, the matter would be closed. And it was. I never heard from them.

sheepla

Post by sheepla » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 am

My husband damaged a rental car backing into a pole. We called USAA (our insurance carrier) paid our deductible and never heard another thing about it. So from our perspective, no need to purchase additional insurance.

I do but it from the rental agency when renting a car in a foreign county.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:28 am

sheepla wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:56 am
My husband damaged a rental car backing into a pole. We called USAA (our insurance carrier) paid our deductible and never heard another thing about it. So from our perspective, no need to purchase additional insurance.

I do but it from the rental agency when renting a car in a foreign county.
That worked. But, some years ago I did check with USAA about coverage for loss of use and they said USAA insurance does not cover that. This may have changed or in your case the rental company did not want to charge you on that. Taking CDW (which is not insurance) alleviates that problem. I am sure you are wise about the issue in countries other than US.

pile05

Post by pile05 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:33 pm

I rented a car about 12-13 years ago on a business trip using my corporate credit card and didn't take out insurance. It was a dark gray Pontiac G6. Someone ran into the rear bumper while the car was parked, leaving a huge gash in it that was hard to see, and unfortunately they did not leave a note/contact information. Upon returning the vehicle, the rental car company sent out its person to check gas level and inspect the rest of the car, and the person did not see the gash in the bumper. I self-reported it, calling them over to look at the bumper once again, and explained to them what I thought had happened. They said okay we'll deal with it.

1-2 weeks later, I get a bunch of documents from the rental car company and their insurance company with pictures of the damage and a bill for ~$1,100 covering the costs to fix it. Knowing that I did not take out the extra insurance to cover anything, I thought I was screwed but I read through my corporate credit card benefits and noticed that one of the benefits was rental car insurance on business trips. The bill was sent to the card issuer and it was paid in full, no questions asked.

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:51 pm

After dropping comprehensive and collision coverage on our vehicles due to age we use the AMEX rental car coverage for about $18 a rental (varies with state). We now rent only a few times a year so it's fine with us. Have had one claim for stone damage/cracked windshield for around $200 and they paid without an issue (Rental car company charged our card and AMEX insurance reimbursed after we filed claim).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

carolc

Post by carolc » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:55 am

I pay the ridiculous price for CDW. Peace of mind. And I can afford it.

carolc

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:42 pm

We rented from Alamo (Costco rental using the Citi Costco card) and when we returned the car, the inspector found some damage
that we had not been aware of. The process between 4 parties.......Alamo, State Farm (my insurance), Citi (credit card), and me seemed
to take forever and I often had to coordinate info flow between parties. However after 4 mos. or so I was very pleased that State Farm and Citi handled the whole bill and I didn't have to pay anything.

State Farm paid for damages less the $250 deductible and Citi paid the rest including $250+ of the dreaded loss damage waiver fees.
I even made a profit on the deal. Alamo charged me $600+ dollars that Citi reimbursed me for . I paid the charge on the Citi Costco
card and got 3% rewards (travel category).

One thing I learned from the Citi rep........although a Costco rental allows the spouse as an authorized driver at no extra charge, I was told
that Citi would not cover damage if that spouse caused the damage unless that spouse was explicitly named on the contract. We almost always get resistance when renting because the car rental people know that the spouse is authorized to drive on a Costco rental and do not think it is necessary to name them on the contract. They are not thinking about the insurance/credit card part of it so often we have to ask for a manager to get this done.

Another thing I was told.......be sure the primary renter is the one who is primary on the Citi Costco card to be sure coverage will be
as you think.

Ocean77

Post by Ocean77 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:50 pm

I used to decline the CDW, thinking the Costco Citi VISA card would cover any damages. This summer we rented a car in Germany and my wife drove into the curb. Luckily the damage was very minor, Avis charged us $150. I thought ok, that's what I have the VISA coverage for. So I filled out their claim forms and submitted that with the rental agreement and Avis' bill for the damages. A few weeks past, then the bank sent me an email asking for a list of more documents, details about the damage, itemized repair bill etc. I called customer service and asked them, what do they need all this for, they already have the damage bill from Avis. But they insisted on getting detailed documents. Perhaps I could have gotten these from Avis Germany but in the end I didn't bother, paid the $150 out of pocket, and considered myself lucky it wasn't more. This free coverage from the credit card always seemed to good to be true, now I know why. They make it as difficult as possible to get a claim paid. Next time, I'll pay for the CDW.