Capital One outage? (Responds with error message)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Capital One outage? (Responds with error message)

Post by nisiprius » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:30 am

9:31 EDT, 13:31 UTC, 2019-11-01. Since it's responding, isup.me says it's "up." But it is telling me both
We're experiencing issues with money movement and account information. We're working as fast as we can to fix the issues.
and
We ran into a snag trying to retrieve your account details, but we're working on it.
Is this widespread?
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

livesoft

Re: Capital One outage? (Responds with error message)

Post by livesoft » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:31 am

Works for me: I was able to log in to my [credit card] account just now.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

feehater

Post by feehater » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:42 am

I am having this problem appear as well. I also have yet to receive emails I usually get from them at 3 am about transactions that should have happened today (direct deposit, mortgage autopay).

dirkdiggler

Post by dirkdiggler » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:43 am

I am also having this problem with CapOne checking and savings.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:44 am

Me too. Was checking on my paycheck deposit...same error.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:05 am

This site shows various info about the outage.

Looks like a great deal of the northeast might be affected.

https://outage.report/capital-one

Broken Man 1999

PS: As a side note, I couldn't get into my CU account for a bit this morning.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 am

I see my balance now, but my paycheck isn't shown. It normally shows the night before...Ugh.

Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am

A while ago I could see my credit card account, but none of my Capital One 360 accounts. Now I can't see any of my accounts, and the message has changed to "You may not see all your account features right now, but we're working on it. Try again in a bit, or give us a call at (877) 383-4802." Right.

But it does show my CreditWise credit score.

Am I just grumpy, or does it seem as if financial institution websites are more prone to outages than they were five or ten years ago? Anybody have any actual data?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:54 am

I have the regular Cap1 checking account. Just logged in and paid a bill with no problem. Balances looked right, But this:
We're experiencing issues with money movement and account information. We're working as fast as we can to fix the issues.
was prominently displayed at the top of the webpage.

I am in Maryland/DC Sub.

Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am

Faith20879 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:54 am
I have the regular Cap1 checking account. Just logged in and paid a bill with no problem. Balances looked right, But this:
was prominently displayed at the top of the webpage.
Right. Money movement and account information, but, hey, aside from that everything is hunky-dory.

Some error message. Why else do you visit the website except to check account information or move money? Imagine an hotel saying "we're experiencing issues with our beds and our bathrooms..."

But the error message I see has just changed.
Good morning.

Oops, we've hit a snag!
Interestingly, they are no longer saying that they are working as fast as they can. I wonder why not? Clearly, whoever is in charge of the error messages is busy as a bee.

At the moment, the outage is total for me. No credit card information, no bank account information, and no CreditWise score. Just "Oops, we've hit a snag!"

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:28 am

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am
Why else do you visit the website except to check account information or move money? Imagine an hotel saying "we're experiencing issues with our beds and our bathrooms..."
I hear you!

If my memory serves me right, their website stayed down for quite a few days sometime last year. Them being our primary bank it drove me crazy not able to pay bills on-line for a few days. After the recent breach, we considered switching banks. But, looking around, every bank in our area seems to have some issues. So we are just dragging our feet.

jj

Post by jj » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 am

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am

At the moment, the outage is total for me. No credit card information, no bank account information, and no CreditWise score. Just "Oops, we've hit a snag!"
Same for me too
...it is madness to risk losing what you need in pursuing what you simply desire. Warren E. Buffett

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:47 am

nisiprius wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am
A while ago I could see my credit card account, but none of my Capital One 360 accounts. Now I can't see any of my accounts, and the message has changed to "You may not see all your account features right now, but we're working on it. Try again in a bit, or give us a call at (877) 383-4802." Right.

But it does show my CreditWise credit score.

Am I just grumpy, or does it seem as if financial institution websites are more prone to outages than they were five or ten years ago? Anybody have any actual data?
These type issues are a PITA for all. There are no shortages of outages today. And, probably the largest number of customers using online sites would be for their financial/banking services. Given the obvious importance of their needs certainly focuses the attention when there are problems. Other outages generate little concern. Like this morning I was attempting to order the yearly release of the Hess trucks for the grandsons. No can do. Ah, finally up. Mission accomplished.

More or less prevalent today? No idea.

One of the main reasons I shied away from IT was my observation of the hours involved. And, that was 20+ years ago. I can only imagine the stress of the IT group working on this issue. Not for me. No way.

Fortunately I have no Capital One accounts.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:02 am

It isn't just Northeast US. I'm in Denver and got an error message when trying to log into my CC account.

digarei

Post by digarei » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:15 am

No access after login attempt. US West Coast - 9:05 am PDT. Message displayed:

We're fixing some technical issues

Access is being restored as quickly as possible so you can see your account again.

Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:16 pm

1:15pm EDT I just got in. All looks fine. They have my DD paycheck. I was hoping for a bank error in my favor collect $200 :greedy

Michael Patrick

Post by Michael Patrick » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:36 pm

I was getting the error earlier, but it is working for me now.

Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Seems normal for me now, 3 p.m. EDT, 19:00 UTC.