Gift vs Joint Ownership?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
K72

Gift vs Joint Ownership?

Post by K72 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:50 pm

My wife and I are helping our unmarried child with a first home purchase by contributing the down payment. Seems to me we have two choices:

1. Gift the $ and register the gift with IRS so it will be counted against our estate tax exemption. Question: do I have to file the gift form with IRS only once, or every year thereafter?

2. Jointly own the property (with perhaps a side legal agreement detailing the ownership split) with the idea of passing our interest as an inheritance with stepped up basis.

In either case it isn't necessary for us to be co-mortgagees.

I like the idea of (2) because we retain some degree of control of the asset and hopefully protect it from potential bad news later (e.g. ex-spouse) and the stepped up cost basis. I fully understand that should the value appreciate the bite out of the estate tax exemption would be bigger but I'm still thinking it's a better way to go.

Any thoughts on why (1) might be the better plan?

mhalley

Re: Gift vs Joint Ownership?

Post by mhalley » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:53 pm

How about a third option, gift the 30k this year, and make a loan for the rest, then forgive 30k each year till payed off? Might make the mortgage a little more difficult tho.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:54 pm

Because with #2 you:

- open yourself up to liability
- exert an undo influence on your child, and any future partner. "Retain control"? :shock:

Gifts are one-time and one form.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:40 pm

Ideally you've raised a person ready to be an independent adult and who has the skills to choose a life partner appropriately.

If you don't and you know it, something more elaborate than shared ownership of the house might be best. For instances if you think your child might be sued and lose the house, having half of it belong you to isn't the best option.

Topic Author
K72

Post by K72 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Thanks for the comments!

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:26 pm

Give her the downpayment and move on.

Maintaining control of an adult child’s financial life — absent a mental or physical disability — is unfair to both parties.