Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

Post by Skeeter1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:35 pm

Just curious about if anyone uses Apple Pay and has any pros or cons. I was just with a friend and they had an Apple Pay credit card. It was very unique because the card had his name but no other identification info. It did not have his account number nor expiration date nor security code. We split a bill and his worked perfectly.
I liked the lack of personal info.
Anyone care to weigh in on this?
Thanks

sf_tech_saver

Re: Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

Post by sf_tech_saver » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm

GET ONE. LOVE IT. NOTHING TO LOG INTO, DAILY CASHBACK. ONE CLICK ACTIVATION. IF YOU HAVE AN IPHONE ITS THE BEST.

:)

PS. I worked on some of the software behind it so I'm somewhat biased but I now use it for everything I can. It's the future
PSS: be SURE to add the AppleCard to it. It's issued by Goldman Marcus, a friendly brand to Bogleheads everywhere.
Last edited by sf_tech_saver on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTI is a modern marvel

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:40 pm

I use apple pay on my phone. I call up apple pay and hold it near the card reader. I found it really does not save that much time but I am told it is a more secure transaction, for example, card skimmers cannot read the information.
I mostly have it in case the physical card cannot be read at the store. This seems to happen to me once or twice a year.

minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm

I use Apple Pay for everything but don’t have an Apple credit card

newpup

Post by newpup » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:45 pm

Love Apple Pay and use it whenever possible. It's incredibly convenient on the watch. My wife said last night she is a huge fan because she doesn't have to haul out her purse and get out her wallet, remove credit card, wait for transaction, return credit card to wallet, return wallet to purse. Quick click on the watch and you're out! :D

Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 pm

minimalistmarc wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:42 pm
Please explain how that works if you don’t mind.
Thanks

RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:49 pm

Love it too! We use Apple Pay from our Apple watches (ties to our iPhones automatically). Much safer than handing out the actual credit card number - fast, easy, and convenient. We also set up one credit card in Apple Pay on our teenage daughter's iPhone. No worries about her losing a credit card. However, she can charge things if necessary using her iPhone anywhere that takes Apple Pay (e.g. our local grocery store).

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Skeeter1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 pm
minimalistmarc wrote:
Thanks
Apple Pay is a contact less technology that allows you to make credit/debit card payments using your iPhone instead of getting your card out.

You add your credit card info to the Apple Pay wallet app and it will authenticate with your bank. Once your card is added to the wallet, your iPhone effectively becomes that credit card. You can add pretty much any card you like and you can add multiple cards (9) and select which one you want to use when you pay.

You simply tap your iPhone (or Apple Watch) on the payment terminal and approve the payment with touch id or face id.

I use it whenever possible. It's usually faster that inserting a card into a chip reader and it randomizes the card number on each transaction for protection.

Apple Pay is very secure, arguably more so than the credit card itself, so you don't need to worry about using it.

The Apple Card is a credit card Apple offers which you can apply for and add to Apple Pay if you want to, but it is not necessary for using Apple Pay.

Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm

dollar_elbow wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:00 pm
Skeeter1 wrote:
minimalistmarc wrote:
Thanks
Apple Pay is a contact less technology that allows you to make credit/debit card payments using your iPhone instead of getting your card out.

You add your credit card info to the Apple Pay wallet app and it will authenticate with your bank. Once your card is added to the wallet, your iPhone effectively becomes that credit card. You can add pretty much any card you like and you can add multiple cards (9) and select which one you want to use when you pay.

You simply tap your iPhone (or Apple Watch) on the payment terminal and approve the payment with touch id or face id.

I use it whenever possible. It's usually faster that inserting a card into a chip reader and it randomizes the card number on each transaction for protection.

Apple Pay is very secure, arguably more so than the credit card itself, so you don't need to worry about using it.

The Apple Card is a credit card Apple offers which you can apply for and add to Apple Pay if you want to, but it is not necessary for using Apple Pay.
Perfect info. Understand completely. Is Apple Pay your preferred method of payment?

joe-kr

Post by joe-kr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:32 pm

I use Apple Pay anytime I can. It is available at most stores I visit - one notable exception is Home Depot. CVS was a longtime holdout, but they take it now.

Recently I was at a small store and the cashier thought they did not take it, but I tried it and it worked. He was amazed - I was surprised I was the first one to try it there. Same happened at my kid’s Orthodontist.

cusetownusa

Post by cusetownusa » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:34 pm

minimalistmarc wrote:
Me too

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:37 pm

One problem I’ve read is that scammers have taken stolen credit card numbers and convinced the issuing bank to authorize them for Apple Pay on an iPhone. They then go out and make a bunch of Apple Pay purchases before the bank catches on. Not Apple’s fault though but this is a way to get around having to dummy up a credit card with a chip.

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm

@dollar_elbow,

Count me as a newbie on the intricacies of using Apple Pay. What happens if I disable Touch ID or Face ID on the Apple iPhone? I am a bit privacy obsessed that I don’t want to unlock the iPhone with my finger print or face image /store them in the phone. I prefer and use either a passcode or a pass phrase to unlock and use the phone. Does this mean I can’t use Apple Pay?

I am curious and willing to give it a try but would NOT at the condition of having to enable Touch ID or Face ID

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm

lakpr wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm
@dollar_elbow,

Count me as a newbie on the intricacies of using Apple Pay. What happens if I disable Touch ID or Face ID on the Apple iPhone? I am a bit privacy obsessed that I don’t want to unlock the iPhone with my finger print or face image /store them in the phone. I prefer and use either a passcode or a pass phrase to unlock and use the phone. Does this mean I can’t use Apple Pay?

I am curious and willing to give it a try but would NOT at the condition of having to enable Touch ID or Face ID
Biometric ID is required for Apple Pay.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm

Yes. In fact, my Amex Platinum is on the chopping block when I’m due for the annual fee as Apple Pay and its associated card are far better for my lifestyle and spending habits.

I love it.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

lakpr

Post by lakpr » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 pm

furwut wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm
lakpr wrote:
@dollar_elbow,

Ah well, I will stick with chip cards then.

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:45 pm

Skeeter1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm
dollar_elbow wrote:
Skeeter1 wrote:
minimalistmarc wrote:
Thanks

Perfect info. Understand completely. Is Apple Pay your preferred method of payment?

Yes, I use it as much as possible. It’s also widely accepted in Europe which can make travel easier.

dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:46 pm

dollar_elbow wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:45 pm
Skeeter1 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm
dollar_elbow wrote:
Skeeter1 wrote:
minimalistmarc wrote:
Thanks

Yes, I use it as much as possible. It’s also widely accepted in Europe which can make travel easier. I’ve used Apple Pay multiple times in Paris and London.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Is Apple Pay your preferred method of payment?
For me yes. Have the Apple Watch. But there are still enough places(looking at you Walmart) that don’t take it that I always have my wallet, with credit cards, with me anyway. So no big benefit yet.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:49 pm

We’ve been using it more and more. I’ve noticed an increase in vendors upgrading their point-of-sale terminals to include Apple Pay. The local grocery store checkout clerk did not know the terminal excepted Apple Pay until I used it...

Also use it for gasoline purchases. No more card skimmer security issues when paying at the pump. Easy Peezy to use and very secure.

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

illumination

Post by illumination » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 pm

I use it and I love it. And I'm usually not one that likes to use technology just for technology sake.

I haven't gotten the actual Apple card, but I like the idea because I have had several instances of my CC info stolen.

My portfolio is mostly Boglehead with index funds, but I do have a large position in Apple that I've done really well with. I could see Apple getting more into banking type services and making a killing.

CalculatedRisk

Post by CalculatedRisk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:54 pm

lakpr wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 pm
furwut wrote:
lakpr wrote:
@dollar_elbow,

Ah well, I will stick with chip cards then.
furwut wrote:
I don't think you need biometric enabled. Per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203027:
...to use Apple Pay, you must have a passcode set on your device and, optionally, Face ID or Touch ID. You can use a simple passcode, or you can set a more complex passcode for even greater security.

furwut

Post by furwut » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:01 pm

CalculatedRisk wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:54 pm

I don't think you need biometric enabled. Per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203027:
Interesting ...
My SIL is one of those people who don’t leave fingerprints. But she has a new phone with FaceID now. She has a face.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:11 pm

I use Apple Pay whenever I can. It's fast, secure, and easy.

I have an Apple Card, but don't bother with it any more. It cannot be used at an ATM for cash, has no travel benefits, etc., so it isn't as useful as the other cards I use.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:13 pm

If you have the Apple Watch, that gives you another way to use ApplePay without biometrics.

I was in the U.K. last summer and found I could use ApplePay almost everywhere, including the London Underground

I’ve developed a bias for Safeway over Kroger since the former accepts ApplePay and the latter does not

Scuttlebutt

Post by Scuttlebutt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:30 pm

But how do you use this at a restaurant where they take your card somewhere and then come back with a receipt to sign?

You don't hand the server your phone or watch or a card they can't swipe.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:33 pm

I have an Apple watch and an iPhone and have not used Apple pay yet.

However, after tonight, I will set it up.

I went to a fast food restaurant with my visiting sister and her husband. I was treating and using my iPhone to accumulate points from the fast food's app. Since I was messing around with my phone, I almost forgot to retrieve my credit card from the chip reader. Oops. I do NOT want to have that happen. So I will set up Apple Pay.

(Ironically, I was using my back-up credit card. I was notified of a bogus charge on my main credit card two days ago and am now waiting for its replacement to arrive.)
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:40 pm

Scuttlebutt wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:30 pm
But how do you use this at a restaurant where they take your card somewhere and then come back with a receipt to sign?

You don't hand the server your phone or watch or a card they can't swipe.
You don't. But if they come over with a portable card reader like they do in Europe and some restaurants in the US, you can use it.

dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm

I use Google Pay whenever I can - essentially identical service on the Android. Same reasons as stated hereinbefore - more secure, and has saved me a couple times; e.g. when I forgot to bring my wallet to work, and when procrastination catches up with me and I have to get gas while dressed for the gym. Just carkey and IDs when I'm in Y mode.

Oh - this gives me an opportunity to say something positive about Wells Fargo. This morning I reported a fraudulent transaction on my debit card, and of course they shut it down and set up a new one to arrive in the mail in a few days. Near the end of the conversation, the CSR asked,"Do you want me to update your Google Pay with the new card number?" to which I replied, "Sure!"

Now I don't have to wait for the new plastic to arrive before using it :happy
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:13 pm

I have seen the light. Apple Pay and the Apple Card are the wave of the future. It’s a secure, fully integrated system that has everything at your fingertips.

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 pm

apple stuff is amazing

bluquark

Post by bluquark » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:39 pm

I don’t see much reason to use Apple Pay now that my BoA credit card has RFID payment chip. It’s the same practical security level (cannot be skimmed) but faster since Apple Pay makes me do a pointless double-click and FaceID thing for security theater. As for the Apple physical credit card, the cashback is lackluster.

I do use Apple iTunes payment for magazine/newspaper subscriptions because Apple guarantees you can cancel without making a phone call.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:03 am

Apple Pay is primary payment method. Tied to rewards card.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:08 am

I have only been using it for situations where I would have to carry an extra card that's not a credit card if I didn't use it: on the Chicago L and on the London Underground. This has been nice because I have my Citi Thank You Premier as my Apple Pay credit card and I get 3x on travel on it. The physical credit cards I carry around are the ones I'm trying to earn an intro bonus on plus my Amex blue cash preferred which earns 6% on groceries. Since I only use the latter for groceries, I should probably just load it into Apple Pay--I'm guessing my grocery store takes it. But then I'd have to figure out how to switch between Apple Pay credit cards on the fly.

catdude

Post by catdude » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:39 am

Love it.
catdude | | "As much as cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of kittens." (Abraham Lincoln)

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:48 am

Bfwolf wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:08 am
I have only been using it for situations where I would have to carry an extra card that's not a credit card if I didn't use it: on the Chicago L and on the London Underground. This has been nice because I have my Citi Thank You Premier as my Apple Pay credit card and I get 3x on travel on it. The physical credit cards I carry around are the ones I'm trying to earn an intro bonus on plus my Amex blue cash preferred which earns 6% on groceries. Since I only use the latter for groceries, I should probably just load it into Apple Pay--I'm guessing my grocery store takes it. But then I'd have to figure out how to switch between Apple Pay credit cards on the fly.
You just flick to use the card you want

furikake

Post by furikake » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:14 am

I don't have the Apple credit card, but I do use Apple Pay. Don't have to pull out my wallet or my phone, only need my watch. Very convenient!

politely

Post by politely » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 am

No Apple credit card, but I use Apple Pay. The biggest advantage for me is that I can store all my credit cards on the iphone. I carry only two physical credit cards, just in case Apply Pay isn't accepted (one VISA and one MC - just in case one or the other isn't accepted). I even have my ATM/debit card on my iphone, since I can both open the bank doors and operate the ATM with the iphone. In my opinion, the trick to happy usage is to know ahead of time which establishments will take Apple Pay. Initially it's sort of a pain with the uncertainty and having to ask, but once you've figured out your usual haunts, it's pretty convenient. On the other hand, when I travel, I carry more.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:36 am

I use it and it is nice, but I don't get some retailers who have the credit card reader "hidden" where they have to hold the reader to you for you to make the transaction. The reader should be on the counter within reach and not hidden.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:09 am

I have an Apple Card and use Apple Pay wherever it’s accepted. I’ve been using Apple Pay since early days—way before the Apple Card—mostly for the convenience. If not sure whether it’s accepted, I just hold my phone near the reader and wait for it to work. If it doesn’t, I just use a cc the conventional way instead.

I got the Apple Card just to test it out and I find that it has some interesting features (discussed) and integration to the iPhone, but you don’t need an Apple Card to use Apple Pay. You can designate any card that has been set up for Apple Pay as the default. You set it up your CCs in Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay. You can also bypass fingerprint or Face ID, I believe, by using the express transit card setting. I haven’t tried this however, since I’d prefer to verify with thumbprint.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 am

bluquark wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:39 pm
... Apple Pay makes me do a pointless double-click and FaceID thing for security theater.
On the other hand, I love Apple Pay, but my cellphone is an iPhone 8, which uses Touch ID (just a thumb print). I've seen others do the dance you mention with Face ID, and I could see it getting really annoying really quickly. The phone is in my hand already, and my thumb is RIGHT THERE.

As long as I have my phone (or any future phone with Touch ID), I'll continue to use it. Otherwise, I likely will stop if Apple stops making phones with Touch ID.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:19 am

Apple Pay is great. Apple Card is garbage.

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:50 am

I use it when I can. It saves me maybe 5 seconds on every transaction. With all that extra time I now have available I’ve started a multi-billion dollar business. 😀

In other words, it’s fine, it’s somewhat convenient, but its actual value is very oversold in my opinion.
Steve

nolesrule

Post by nolesrule » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 am

I don't use the phone-based contactless payments because NFC is a drain on device battery. Fumbling around at the register to turn it on, or alternatively keeping my phone plugged in more often isn't ideal. What's the point of wireless technology if you're tethered to a charging cable all the time?

On the other hand, if I can pay for something with an app that has a scannable loyalty card built into it that associates payment data, I will use that. Otherwise, all my cards these days are chipped anyway.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:02 am

I’m using it more and more. I find it convenient to use with the Apple watch. Not sure I would feel the same way if I had to pull out my phone every time I made a purchase.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:26 am

cusetownusa wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:34 pm
minimalistmarc wrote:
Me too
Same here. My wallet is always stored in a back pocket with a button or a zipper, so it is easier to pull out my phone from my front pocket and pay with Apple Pay.

RJC

Post by RJC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 am

After reading this post, I set up Apple Pay on my watch. This morning I tried using it at a gas station but it doesn't appear to take it. Shouldn't gas stations be the first to take NFC payments because of all the card skimming?

RJC

Post by RJC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am

nolesrule wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 am
I don't use the phone-based contactless payments because NFC is a drain on device battery. Fumbling around at the register to turn it on, or alternatively keeping my phone plugged in more often isn't ideal. What's the point of wireless technology if you're tethered to a charging cable all the time?

On the other hand, if I can pay for something with an app that has a scannable loyalty card built into it that associates payment data, I will use that. Otherwise, all my cards these days are chipped anyway.
Is there a noticeable drain? I don't think NFC is on all the time.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am

RJC wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:35 am
nolesrule wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 am

Is there a noticeable drain? I don't think NFC is on all the time.
I haven’t noticed any battery drain. An Apple Pay transaction takes like 2 seconds. How much battery drain could there be from that compared to watching videos, surfing the web, or making phone calls?

ruud

Post by ruud » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:56 am

RJC wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 am
After reading this post, I set up Apple Pay on my watch. This morning I tried using it at a gas station but it doesn't appear to take it. Shouldn't gas stations be the first to take NFC payments because of all the card skimming?
You probably already know this, but keep in mind you need to double click the button on the watch to activate Apple Pay, it doesn't work by just holding your watch near the reader.
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."