TriCare at age 60

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
elcadarj

TriCare at age 60

Post by elcadarj »

Any retired reservists out there who have moved to TriCare Select at age 60? My 60th birthday is rapidly approaching but the Navy Personnel center is way behind in processing retirement paperwork. Is the transfer from TriCare Retired Reserve to TriCare select automatic or do I need documentation from Navy Personnel that I'm in retired pay status?
ColoradoRob

Re: TriCare at age 60

Post by ColoradoRob »

My wife is gray area retired navy reserves but not yet at 60. As she understands it, transfer is not automatic and you will have to enroll at https://tricare.mil/Plans/Enroll/Select

We're not sure if being in a pay-status is important to TriCare; only that you are age 60 or older to be eligible for TriCare Select. Hopefully, NPC will process all of the paperwork on the back end to make sure that you are able to enroll. The fact that NPC has not processed your paperwork yet is troublesome to the point where you might want to make some phone calls to get things moving. Maybe check your retirement paperwork for any POCs/phone numbers etc.
Topic Author
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

Thanks. I've done all the follow up phone calls and emails to PERS-912. Retire Pay package submitted 04/08/2019 and I have email confirmation from PERS that my package has been received. Website has blanket statement that they're working packages submitted in Feb 2019. When I submitted PERS suggested submitting package at least 6 mos in advance. Duck-duck Go search found several articles discussing the delay and recommending submitting package 12 mos. in advance. So encourage your wife to do so.

I have access to milConnect and my TriCare Retired Reserve enrollment period ends the day before my 60th. So I am hoping that TriCare is independent of being in pay status. I was hoping for some assurance from someone who has crossed the line before me.
Topic Author
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

ColoradoRob wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 pm My wife is gray area retired navy reserves but not yet at 60. As she understands it, transfer is not automatic and you will have to enroll at https://tricare.mil/Plans/Enroll/Select

We're not sure if being in a pay-status is important to TriCare; only that you are age 60 or older to be eligible for TriCare Select. Hopefully, NPC will process all of the paperwork on the back end to make sure that you are able to enroll. The fact that NPC has not processed your paperwork yet is troublesome to the point where you might want to make some phone calls to get things moving. Maybe check your retirement paperwork for any POCs/phone numbers etc.
Update post 60th birthday...

On 11/06, about a week or so prior to my 6hth birthday, I contacted the Reserve Personnel Management (PERS-12) 1-800 number to check my retirement pay application status. Questions asked:
1) When will my application be processed and subsequently when should I expect to receive my pay? and
2) How does the delay impact my Tricare Select eligibility.
The first question was answered with a vague, "It could be 6 more months." The second question was answered with a vague answer to the effect of "I don't know."

This was unsatisfactory so I followed up in two ways. First, I contacted my local congressional representative's constituent services office and second, when PERS-12 work management system emailed me a follow-up survey to review and comment on the service call, I let them have it: straight 1 out of 5 ratings with 1 being poor quality service and added a specific comment describing the questions asked and the response. Within a week I received responses from both a PERS-12 contractor and a Navy Captain letting me know my issue was being expedited.

The answer to the TriCare question is to go to the nearest RAPIDS office on or as near as possible to your 60th with a copy of your Notice of Eligibility (NOE) and get your military ID card updated to reflect your post 60 status. The RAPIDS clerk will update your DEERS status as RET. You then will immediately be eligible to enroll online in Tricare Select. That's how it worked for me.

And it seems having a Captain expedite your retirement package is effective. I received my first retirement pay deposit today, just a it should have been under normal circumstances.
ColoradoRob

Post by ColoradoRob »

elcadarj wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am
ColoradoRob wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 pm My wife is gray area retired navy reserves but not yet at 60. As she understands it, transfer is not automatic and you will have to enroll at https://tricare.mil/Plans/Enroll/Select

Update post 60th birthday...

On 11/06, about a week or so prior to my 6hth birthday, I contacted the Reserve Personnel Management (PERS-12) 1-800 number to check my retirement pay application status. Questions asked:
1) When will my application be processed and subsequently when should I expect to receive my pay? and
2) How does the delay impact my Tricare Select eligibility.
The first question was answered with a vague, "It could be 6 more months." The second question was answered with a vague answer to the effect of "I don't know."

This was unsatisfactory so I followed up in two ways. First, I contacted my local congressional representative's constituent services office and second, when PERS-12 work management system emailed me a follow-up survey to review and comment on the service call, I let them have it: straight 1 out of 5 ratings with 1 being poor quality service and added a specific comment describing the questions asked and the response. Within a week I received responses from both a PERS-12 contractor and a Navy Captain letting me know my issue was being expedited.

The answer to the TriCare question is to go to the nearest RAPIDS office on or as near as possible to your 60th with a copy of your Notice of Eligibility (NOE) and get your military ID card updated to reflect your post 60 status. The RAPIDS clerk will update your DEERS status as RET. You then will immediately be eligible to enroll online in Tricare Select. That's how it worked for me.

And it seems having a Captain expedite your retirement package is effective. I received my first retirement pay deposit today, just a it should have been under normal circumstances.

That is all good information - especially about going to the RAPIDS office. It seems that everything is working out ok. Thank you for sharing.
chalet

Post by chalet »

elcadarj wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:49 am
The answer to the TriCare question is to go to the nearest RAPIDS office on or as near as possible to your 60th with a copy of your Notice of Eligibility (NOE) and get your military ID card updated to reflect your post 60 status.

did you change a red ID card for a normal one? did it change from INDEF to four years or something like that?

what changes (if any) are you going to make to your health insurance now?
Topic Author
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

Sorry I have been offline for quite a while. Dealing with Rona in a new position.

Have your questions been answered by someone else?

My health care situation is TriCare select and an HRA from my last job will cover both my wife and I until Medicare and TriCare For Life.
Topic Author
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

chalet wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:14 pm did you change a red ID card for a normal one? did it change from INDEF to four years or something like that?

what changes (if any) are you going to make to your health insurance now?
At age 60 ID card is now DD Form 2 (blue) with an expiration date EOM the month before my 65th birthday.
MTK

Post by MTK »

Just submitted my retirement package 8 months prior to my 60th birthday. See what happens.

Anyone have any experience with Tricare Select how that plan?

Thanks
deserat

Post by deserat »

Thank you for this thread. I was on Tricare Retired Reserve and found it sort of expensive and difficult for processing of claims. When I went to the Tricare office on base, they looked at me like I was from Mars and made a statement about never having dealt with someone who used that Tricare option.

I am now on FEHB, however, will probably go back to Tricare Retired Reserve when I leave federal service next year to 'retire.' I've had issues with the Air Force Reserve Personnel Office before on other issues and am hoping I don't have to go your route to get their attention when I turn 60....many times it does take a personal visit to an ID issuance office to fix this stuff.
Topic Author
elcadarj

Post by elcadarj »

MTK wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:53 am Anyone have any experience with Tricare Select how that plan?

My brother has found Tricare a problem in the Chicago area: providers not accepting. I have not had any issues with it here in the SE, all major hospital groups and associated practices accept it. All my and my wife's usual providers accept Tricare, I just show my ID card. OBTW the Tricare equivalent for Plan Number when providers ask for your insurance card is the Benefits Number on the back of your ID (DD FORM 2 (RETIRED)).

As I stated before, sign up was easy, online once RAPIDS set DEERS status to RET.