My insurance rep has better street cred than yours

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
RickBoglehead

My insurance rep has better street cred than yours

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:46 am

I am reaching the end of my 20 year term policy. I contacted my company back a few months ago, asking how to stop the policy at the end of 20 years. They said "call back after the last payment is made and we'll turn off autopay, but keep sending you bills for a while". They refused to turn it off months from then, or put a reminder in their system.

I called a few weeks ago, after the last payment was made, and they turned off autopay, saying the prior rep could have done this, and then agreed that there is no way to stop the billing until they get tired of billing. The first year's payment is 720% higher than the fixed term payment was, and of course would go up annually.

I got the invoice yesterday, which offered a number to call 8 to 6PM, or I can contact my Personal Marketing Representative (bold added by the insurance company). I was thrilled, because when I read my rep's name I realized that no matter how many people are on this forum, no matter how wealthy they are, I, RickBoglehead, have the most prestigious insurance representative of all.

Here is his contact information:

John Hancock
PO Box 772
Boston, MA 02117

Yes, my Personal Marketing Representative is one of the founding fathers, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and apparently still hard at work at age 282. :twisted:

I will walk around today with my head held high, because I'm good enough. :D
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Nestegg_User

Re: My insurance rep has better street cred than yours

Post by Nestegg_User » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:19 am

hmmm, so your bank was WASHINGTON Mutual, right? :P

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:15 am

Yes, but can you read his signature from where you are standing?
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

student

Post by student » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:19 am

Maybe they will only cancel your policy if you can speak to him directly. :D

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:20 am

why not just write John a two line letter and tell them to cancel on xx date? That's what we did with our term policy and the insurer had to send us some official cancellation forms which they claim were required by some states. Since they included a pre-addressed, franked envelope, the autopay was turned off and policy cancelled right on time. Easy peasy.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:31 pm

John owns the tallest building in Boston. He doesn't have time for you anymore.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:54 pm

Voya just told me they would start billing at the new rate, about 4 times the old rate, starting the first month after the term expired. If I don't want that I could send them a letter telling them not to, which I have done. Waiting for some kind of confirmation.

No street cred, just nonsense syllables - ING, then Voya.

Topic Author
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:31 pm
John owns the tallest building in Boston. He doesn't have time for you anymore.
#1 response so far. :sharebeer
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:48 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.