AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
Topic Author
renegade06
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by renegade06 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:29 pm

Hi all - Just wondering if anyone uses the American Express Platinum Card. If so, how do you like it? I am able to get the $500+ annual fee waived due to my military affiliation. I don't carry a monthly cc balance, but a friend told me that the benefits of the card are really great - especially for travel.

User avatar
rob
Posts: 3053
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by rob » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Without the annual fee it's a bargain - The travel benefits are great with access to several lounges. Look up the points guy for a decent review of all the benefits.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Topic Author
renegade06
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by renegade06 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Thanks, Rob!

HomeStretch
Posts: 2882
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:43 pm

It’s a great card for free (thank you for your service)!

Checkout DoctorOfCredit website for a full list of benefits as some just changed. A few I like are:
1. Reimbursement for TSA Precheck
2. Reimbursement for CLEAR
3. $200 annual airline credit for incidentals (you have to set your airline choice and can change each January)
4. UBER reimbursement credit $15/mo, Dec is $35.
5. Airport lounge access

02nz
Posts: 2484
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by 02nz » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:45 pm

I agree, with the AF waived it’s a no brainer - if nothing else for the Uber credits and lounge access (Centurion + Priority Pass, although the latter now excludes restaurants). There are also ways to get close to cash value out of the travel credits. Those are per calendar year so you can get them 2x in short order.

ETA: I believe the PreCheck reimbursement also works on Global Entry. I’d certainly go with the latter as it includes PreCheck.
Last edited by 02nz on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Chan_va
Posts: 800
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Chan_va » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:45 pm

Thanks for starting the thread. Timely as I was thinking about getting the Amex Platinum. Any opinions from folks who have the Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve? Any advantages to getting the Amex Platinum if you already have the CSR card? (I don't get the annual fee exemption OP has).

As far as I can tell, the advantage of getting the Amex Platinum in addition to the CSR would be the better lounges.

02nz
Posts: 2484
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by 02nz » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Chan_va wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:45 pm
Thanks for starting the thread. Timely as I was thinking about getting the Amex Platinum. Any opinions from folks who have the Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve? Any advantages to getting the Amex Platinum if you already have the CSR card? (I don't get the annual fee exemption OP has).

As far as I can tell, the advantage of getting the Amex Platinum in addition to the CSR would be the better lounges.
I would not. Amex’s only plus in lounge membership is the Centurion lounges - it’s so crowded nobody goes there anymore. :D But seriously, they really are crowded. My last two visits (SFO and PHL) there were some people standing because of lack of space! Kinda defeats the point. I mean, the food and drink are good but not THAT good. As I noted above the Amex Priority Pass membership now excludes airport restaurants, unlike the Chase membership.

For actual spending, Amex comes out ahead of CSR only for airfare (5X) but Chase wins everywhere else (3X on lots of travel/dining categories). Chase’s travel credit is very straightforward and easy to use (automatic), whereas with Amex it takes quite a bit of effort to get close to cash value out of the credits (and it’s a constantly evolving game).
Last edited by 02nz on Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sperry8
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by sperry8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:50 pm

Chan_va wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:45 pm
Thanks for starting the thread. Timely as I was thinking about getting the Amex Platinum. Any opinions from folks who have the Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve? Any advantages to getting the Amex Platinum if you already have the CSR card? (I don't get the annual fee exemption OP has).

As far as I can tell, the advantage of getting the Amex Platinum in addition to the CSR would be the better lounges.
There is a specific thread on another blog specifically about these two cards in comparison. You may want to google to peruse it. I'm not sure if it's in-bounds to mention other blogs on Bogleheads so I'm not placing links here.

As for me, I find the hertz car rental CDP discount to be of great benefit (cheaper than USAA rates) + you get a 4 hour grace period (so 28 hour rental day vs 24). That, better Lounges, and 5x on airfare make the card a great one. Without AF you should get it.
BH contest results: 2018: #150 of 493 | 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

Jags4186
Posts: 3907
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:52 pm

There are really 2 reasons why I think getting the Platinum card is worth it:

1) You are able to take advantage of all of the various credits as a true pass through getting your net annual fee down to $50 ($200 airline, $200 uber, $100 saks).

2) You enjoy premium travel experiences. The International Airline Program can provide serious discounts on business class fares and the Fine Hotels and Resorts program can offer many perks including upgrades, free breakfast, resort credit, late check out.

I don't think paying $550/yr for access to Centurion Lounges, Delta SkyClub(when flying Delta), or Priority Pass lounges is worth it. For free it is a no brainer.

dbr
Posts: 30798
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by dbr » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:57 pm

AMEX Plat specifically gives admission to Delta Skyclub Lounge which no other generic card does. This may be of value if you are interested in Delta lounges and don't otherwise have access. AMEX Plat also enrolls one in Hilton Gold status.

For a review of benefits see here: https://www.google.com/search?ei=Z0e3XZ ... kwvf5RSiKE

Owning that card at no fee would be a no-brainer. Owning it at $550/year would take careful thinking through but is clearly worth it for some people.

User avatar
Ketawa
Posts: 2192
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:11 am
Location: DC

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Ketawa » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Being in the military, if you are going to start down this path, you should probably focus on other cards first. You can get any Chase and U.S. Bank cards without an annual fee, and it is more difficult to be approved for their cards than it is for Amex. I would focus on Chase cards due to the 5/24 rule. Both the Chase Sapphire Reserve and U.S. Bank Altitude Reserve offer better ongoing benefits than the Amex Platinum cards.

Once you have all the Chase and U.S. Bank cards you want, look at Amex for the Schwab Platinum card (best way to use Membership Rewards points IMO), Blue Cash Preferred, and whatever hotel or airline cards you want.

FWIW, I'm active duty military and have 21 open cards. I often use 4 for everyday spending, rarely use 12, and never use 5 of them.

rich126
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by rich126 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:01 pm

With no fee it is a no-brainer.
3. $200 annual airline credit for incidentals (you have to set your airline choice and can change each January)
Unfortunately using this can be difficult depending on your style of travel. Unlike the Chase Sapphire Reserve $300 travel credit, it is tough to use. The Chase credit is for almost anything travel related including buying an airline ticket, the AMEX $200 is not like that, it has to be used for stuff like luggage fees, paying for a seat selection, etc.

The lounge access varies. If you are flying Delta you get in free but no guests unless you pay $29 per guest. The Centurion Lounges allow 2 guests. The others you have to check.

There are also two $50 Saks 5th avenue credits (one per 6 months).

You also get Gold status with Hilton (free breakfast) and Marriott. And status with Avis and National rental companies. Also Hertz Gold.

You can read more at a place such as https://upgradedpoints.com/amex-platinum-card-benefits.

Topic Author
renegade06
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by renegade06 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses.... FYI - I found that AMEX Platinum is offering 100k points to open the card if you go through this link:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/ The standard is 60k points.

User avatar
sperry8
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by sperry8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm

renegade06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:05 pm
Thanks to everyone for your responses.... FYI - I found that AMEX Platinum is offering 100k points to open the card if you go through this link:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/ The standard is 60k points.
That offer is your personal offer. I see the standard 60,000 bonus point offer. If you have the 100k offer and no AF - DEFINITELY apply for this card! :sharebeer
BH contest results: 2018: #150 of 493 | 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

ScubaHogg
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ScubaHogg » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:11 pm

renegade06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:29 pm
Hi all - Just wondering if anyone uses the American Express Platinum Card. If so, how do you like it? I am able to get the $500+ annual fee waived due to my military affiliation. I don't carry a monthly cc balance, but a friend told me that the benefits of the card are really great - especially for travel.
If you are active duty it's a no-brainer. It's literally free money if you ever use Uber, use the airline credit, or want to use one of their airport lounges. I had the fee waived for years, but now (reservist) they won't waive it anymore. I'll need to cancel, or at least threaten. Some friends have had the fee waived or drastically reduced by threatening to cancel, but they are all reservists as well so that doesn't apply to you. Just info for the group.

dbr
Posts: 30798
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by dbr » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:55 pm

Be aware that AMEX mileage bonuses are once in a lifetime offers for each type card.

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 4112
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Artsdoctor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:33 pm

Chan_va wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:45 pm
Thanks for starting the thread. Timely as I was thinking about getting the Amex Platinum. Any opinions from folks who have the Amex Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve? Any advantages to getting the Amex Platinum if you already have the CSR card? (I don't get the annual fee exemption OP has).

As far as I can tell, the advantage of getting the Amex Platinum in addition to the CSR would be the better lounges.
The cards are different and both are worthwhile.

The AMEX Platinum will give you $200 in Uber credits and $200 in airlines credits annually. I've not found the Centurion lounges to be crowded but I don't fly weekly; they are a great experience overall. The Delta lounge is very welcome as well. It's easy to amass points and transfer them to multiple frequent flyer programs and if you don't want to do that, you can pay for travel (and other things) with points as well although only at 1 cent per point. All in all, if you use the credits, it's a very good card. And the customer service representatives are very helpful both for routine things and in emergencies.

The Chase Sapphire card provides a unique feature which no other card has. As long as you book at least a portion of a trip using the card, you have travel cancellation insurance up to $10,000 per trip per person up to $40,000 per year. If you take one big trip a year and want to insure it, you essentially have gotten the insurance for free using your card. Like AMEX, it'll give you an airline credit (I think it's either $200 or $300) which is given at the time of purchase. You can accumulate points faster when you charge travel and meals but you're more or less restricted to using United points. My experience with booking United flights with points is spotty so I can't say that it's easy. The customer service is good but nothing like AMEX.

User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 5177
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Nate79 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:42 pm

The problem with the Amex platinum is the credits are difficult to use so paying the annual fee is not as worth it as in the past. With the annual fee waved it is a no brainer.

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 4112
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Artsdoctor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:02 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:42 pm
The problem with the Amex platinum is the credits are difficult to use so paying the annual fee is not as worth it as in the past. With the annual fee waved it is a no brainer.
Everyone will need to do the calculations based on their expense patterns.

The Uber credits are awarded monthly and if you don't use them, they expire at the end of the month. I use Uber frequently so I've always used up my credits.

The airline credits are easy to use up but you have to fly. The reimbursement is for "incidentals" and not a flat reimbursement, like the Chase VISA card. However, the incidentals include premium seat upgrades, such as choosing your seat, getting the exit aisle, getting more leg room, boarding room, and of course baggage fees if you ever need that. You have to choose your airline, so some planning is required.

If you don't use Uber and you're not a frequent flyer, you'll need to look elsewhere in the benefits section to see if it's worth it for you.

HawkeyePierce
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by HawkeyePierce » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:04 pm

I've gotten good value out of Amex's Fine Hotels and Resorts program. Early checkin/late checkout, free breakfast, $100 credit. It's great in Vegas as it usually includes VIP check-in and is close to the same rate as booking directly with the hotel.

smectym
Posts: 610
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by smectym » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Of course, without the fee go for AMEX Platinum. On an apples to apples basis AMEX Platinum is inferior to Sapphire Reserve (we currently have both, but that is redundant and we will probably ditch AMEX when it would come time to renew); but without the annual fee AMEX turns into a huge bargain and a no brainer. Congratulations.

User avatar
Artsdoctor
Posts: 4112
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:09 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Artsdoctor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm

smectym wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:17 pm
Of course, without the fee go for AMEX Platinum. On an apples to apples basis AMEX Platinum is inferior to Sapphire Reserve (we currently have both, but that is redundant and we will probably ditch AMEX when it would come time to renew); but without the annual fee AMEX turns into a huge bargain and a no brainer. Congratulations.
I don't want to hijack the thread and take it in a different direction, but I am curious what you find inferior about AMEX when compared to the CSR VISA. I also have both and I view them differently. It might seem expensive to carry both but the benefits, for me, really do make up for the annual fees.

Topic Author
renegade06
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by renegade06 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:24 pm

That's very helpful - thank you!
Artsdoctor wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:02 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:42 pm
The problem with the Amex platinum is the credits are difficult to use so paying the annual fee is not as worth it as in the past. With the annual fee waved it is a no brainer.
Everyone will need to do the calculations based on their expense patterns.

The Uber credits are awarded monthly and if you don't use them, they expire at the end of the month. I use Uber frequently so I've always used up my credits.

The airline credits are easy to use up but you have to fly. The reimbursement is for "incidentals" and not a flat reimbursement, like the Chase VISA card. However, the incidentals include premium seat upgrades, such as choosing your seat, getting the exit aisle, getting more leg room, boarding room, and of course baggage fees if you ever need that. You have to choose your airline, so some planning is required.

If you don't use Uber and you're not a frequent flyer, you'll need to look elsewhere in the benefits section to see if it's worth it for you.

voodoo72
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by voodoo72 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:28 pm

renegade06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:29 pm
Hi all - Just wondering if anyone uses the American Express Platinum Card. If so, how do you like it? I am able to get the $500+ annual fee waived due to my military affiliation. I don't carry a monthly cc balance, but a friend told me that the benefits of the card are really great - especially for travel.
Its an ok card, at 550.00 I hope you are close to one of the Centurion lounges and travel enough to use it. You do get some perks that are actually pretty good, 200 dollar airline credit is ok, you can only use one airline and they have tightened it up that its only for incidentals, baggage fees, food, so if you have airline card that offeres the perk, you will find its hard to use and only so much snack boxes to buy on the plane. Global entry really only use it every 5 years. The status with Hilton, MArriott is nice as well nothing earth shattering. So too me there are other cards as competive such as the Sapphire REserve with gives you 300 travel credit you can use for anything. Now I see you have the fee waived so that alone makes it worth it in your case.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:38 pm

sperry8 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm
renegade06 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:05 pm
Thanks to everyone for your responses.... FYI - I found that AMEX Platinum is offering 100k points to open the card if you go through this link:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/ The standard is 60k points.
That offer is your personal offer. I see the standard 60,000 bonus point offer. If you have the 100k offer and no AF - DEFINITELY apply for this card! :sharebeer
This.

There is so little downside here for you.

You already are paying your charge card bill each month (and that's good, Amex Plat or not, of course), so there's no downside there.
And you'll have the extra points as a nice starting point. A 100k point bonus is quite difficult to find these days.
Then you'll see if you use any of the extra benefits, and chances are you'd make use of at least some of them.

Bottom line, as long as there is no fee, you probably should keep the card, because over time, it will probably add to your credit rating. And IF you later would need to pay the annual fee, then if you aren't making sufficient use of the perks, then you could downgrade it to a Gold or Green card, with lower fees, and continue to have access to the Membership Rewards Points (e.g., for air travel, with airline travel partners) plus keep it going for long term credit history.
(Or, of course, drop it then, but make sure you "spend" or transfer all of the points *before* cancelling the card.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

ndpage
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ndpage » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:26 pm

The AMEX Platinum is currently my oldest card. I've had it since the early 90s when I was traveling to Europe for work and wanted the ability for extended check-writing for emergencies.

I still have it because I'm a frequent Delta and American flier, and between the SkyClubs, the Centurion clubs in Dallas, Philly, and Las Vegas, and the Escape club in San Diego I get most of the the value there. I easily use the Uber credit, and I used to use the airline credit for Southwest gift cards but they've closed that loophole, so I have to find a strategy for next year. I fly enough that 5x MR on airfare and batched over to British Airways when they have a 40% bonus is a great earning strategy for my flight patterns - $2200 in airline spend becomes a free last minute one-way F ticket on American for my two hour commute to see my dad, as it's a route that almost always has 72-hour availability Tue/Wed/Thu AM/Sat.

Once I cut back to the point where I'm not flying 80 flights a year, I'll probably give both the regular Plat and the Delta AMEX Platinum card up and concentrate my spend on one of my 2% on everything cards.

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am

I found Uber credits to be difficult. I am in NYC so rarely use Uber in general but when I do, with all the new surcharges, it always come out to be more than $15 (closer to 20 most of the time) even for short distances in Manhattan. And I find it very annoying that then I would have to add the minimum $25 Uber cash just to use my $15 Uber credit :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I ended up ordering an odd sushi roll or a dessert from Ubereats once a month just so I don’t lose credits. Totally not smth I wouldn’t do otherwise.

Just my 2 cents of venting :happy

MichCPA
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by MichCPA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 am

rob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:35 pm
Without the annual fee it's a bargain - The travel benefits are great with access to several lounges. Look up the points guy for a decent review of all the benefits.
Hard disagree on TPG, they hawk high fee cards with questionable benefits and commissions also influences their advice. The best recent example is their take on the Uber card changes. Read the article, then hit the comments.

rich126
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by rich126 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:26 am

MichCPA wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 am
rob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:35 pm
Without the annual fee it's a bargain - The travel benefits are great with access to several lounges. Look up the points guy for a decent review of all the benefits.
Hard disagree on TPG, they hawk high fee cards with questionable benefits and commissions also influences their advice. The best recent example is their take on the Uber card changes. Read the article, then hit the comments.
Yeah, that website was sold a while ago although the same guy is kind of running it. It has gone from somewhat objective evaluations to largely all positive on all changes with credit cards, hotels, etc. Marriott's acquiring of Starwood has been mostly a disaster but you wouldn't know it from reading that blog.

Its kind of like those automotive and stereo magazines (back in the day) that provided reviews of equipment while at the same time accepted advertising money from the same companies. The reviews were quite a bit more positive than many should have been.

psy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:40 am

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by psy1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:47 am

I am semi-retired and travel all over the world about half of the year. I am also an above average travel hacker. I have an AMEX Platinum card.

The fee is high. If you abhor fees, don't get the card. If you are obsessive, enjoy "winning a game", spend a fair amount of money, fly often, and stay in nicer hotels then it is a good card to have.

I have multiple AMEX cards, several with high fees. All pay for themselves. I use AMEX platinum for just two things: paying for airline tickets (5X points) and pre-paying hotels through the Fine Hotels and Resorts (FHR) program which is also 5X points. Among my various credit cards, I try to average 3X points for my entire annual spend. AMEX Gold and AMEX Blue Business are also good cards for the stable.

If you use points for business class airline tickets you will get the best payback. If you are a Schwab customer with a sizable balance you can get a Schwab branded AMEX Platinum with identical benefits plus two unique benefits: $200 off the annual fee; plus the ability to convert the points to cash at a 1.25X multiple for cash. I just converted 400,000 AMEX Membership Rewards points for $5000 in my brokerage account for example.

There are many nooks and crannies in the universe of credit card points. You should evaluate you annual spending (total dollars and categories such as travel, groceries, etc.) and then figure out which cards will maximize your return.

oilrig
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:25 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by oilrig » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
I found Uber credits to be difficult. I am in NYC so rarely use Uber in general but when I do, with all the new surcharges, it always come out to be more than $15 (closer to 20 most of the time) even for short distances in Manhattan. And I find it very annoying that then I would have to add the minimum $25 Uber cash just to use my $15 Uber credit :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I ended up ordering an odd sushi roll or a dessert from Ubereats once a month just so I don’t lose credits. Totally not smth I wouldn’t do otherwise.

Just my 2 cents of venting :happy
if you have the $15 Uber credit and your ride costs more than $15, it should just charge the remaining balance to your credit card (or whatever other method of payment you have on file). At least this is how it works with my uber. You shouldnt have to keep reloading with uber cash, unless thats the only method of payment you have on file.

And in regards to AMEX Platinum, if you travel a lot (especially to airports with the Centurion Lounge), I think the card is worth it, especially with no annual fee. Every visit to the Centurion Lounge I usually drink and eat the equivalent of $100 worth at an airport bar/restaurant. It makes it worth getting to the airport early and relaxing with a beer or two at the lounges :). Also, the look on people's faces when you pull out the AMEX Platinum to pay makes you feel like a big shot lol!

MichCPA
Posts: 828
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by MichCPA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:55 am

rich126 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:26 am
MichCPA wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 am
rob wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:35 pm
Without the annual fee it's a bargain - The travel benefits are great with access to several lounges. Look up the points guy for a decent review of all the benefits.
Hard disagree on TPG, they hawk high fee cards with questionable benefits and commissions also influences their advice. The best recent example is their take on the Uber card changes. Read the article, then hit the comments.
Yeah, that website was sold a while ago although the same guy is kind of running it. It has gone from somewhat objective evaluations to largely all positive on all changes with credit cards, hotels, etc. Marriott's acquiring of Starwood has been mostly a disaster but you wouldn't know it from reading that blog.

Its kind of like those automotive and stereo magazines (back in the day) that provided reviews of equipment while at the same time accepted advertising money from the same companies. The reviews were quite a bit more positive than many should have been.
You will find better credit card advice from the keyboard warriors at reddit (r/creditcards) than TPG. From TPG, you would think that points>gold, airports are for lounging in, not travel, they are stupid obsessed with the Chase Sapphire Preferred, and think that buying a $21,000 first class ticket is a good deal because they got 5 cents per point.

Sorry for the rant.

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 am

oilrig wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
I found Uber credits to be difficult. I am in NYC so rarely use Uber in general but when I do, with all the new surcharges, it always come out to be more than $15 (closer to 20 most of the time) even for short distances in Manhattan. And I find it very annoying that then I would have to add the minimum $25 Uber cash just to use my $15 Uber credit :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I ended up ordering an odd sushi roll or a dessert from Ubereats once a month just so I don’t lose credits. Totally not smth I wouldn’t do otherwise.

Just my 2 cents of venting :happy
if you have the $15 Uber credit and your ride costs more than $15, it should just charge the remaining balance to your credit card (or whatever other method of payment you have on file). At least this is how it works with my uber. You shouldnt have to keep reloading with uber cash, unless thats the only method of payment you have on file.

Hmm it didn't work for me :?: Granted I only tried once so maybe I did something wrong.. I was in the cab already and tried choosing Uber Cash for payment and received the message that I don't have enough of it (with option to add $25). So I had to switch back to the credit card (already had the card saved in my uber profile) and the card got charged the full amount of ride ($17 so I literally was short two bucks :oops: ) Haven't tried it again since then.

rhoms33
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 am

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by rhoms33 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:13 am

If you make use of all the benefits (FHR, Centurion club, Delta skyClub, TSA , Saks, UBER, airline credit, HHonors and Mariott status) the card is very easy to justify.

My wife and I typically take 2-3 vacations annually. Last year we used FHR twice, and booked through Hilton once. We always book the cheapest room, and 100% of the time I've used FHR, have always received an upgrade.

Last year, Four Seasons Maui ($~600/night room upgraded to ~$1000/night room) and Kimpton Seafire (~$600/night room upgraded to ~$2000/night room). On top of that you typically receive ~$60/night in breakfast credits, early checkin and late checkout. Same for the Hilton (Waldorf), we received an upgrade and breakfast was paid for. Typically FHR also includes a $100 spa credit or dining credit, and sometimes a free night offer.

Add up the value of the room upgrades, and breakfast x 15 nights. It's significant.

For those that don't care about things like this, this card probably isn't for you - but for someone who enjoys premium travel/accommodations, there is a TON of value to be had.

rich126
Posts: 932
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by rich126 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:29 pm

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 am
oilrig wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
I found Uber credits to be difficult. I am in NYC so rarely use Uber in general but when I do, with all the new surcharges, it always come out to be more than $15 (closer to 20 most of the time) even for short distances in Manhattan. And I find it very annoying that then I would have to add the minimum $25 Uber cash just to use my $15 Uber credit :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I ended up ordering an odd sushi roll or a dessert from Ubereats once a month just so I don’t lose credits. Totally not smth I wouldn’t do otherwise.

Just my 2 cents of venting :happy
if you have the $15 Uber credit and your ride costs more than $15, it should just charge the remaining balance to your credit card (or whatever other method of payment you have on file). At least this is how it works with my uber. You shouldnt have to keep reloading with uber cash, unless thats the only method of payment you have on file.

Hmm it didn't work for me :?: Granted I only tried once so maybe I did something wrong.. I was in the cab already and tried choosing Uber Cash for payment and received the message that I don't have enough of it (with option to add $25). So I had to switch back to the credit card (already had the card saved in my uber profile) and the card got charged the full amount of ride ($17 so I literally was short two bucks :oops: ) Haven't tried it again since then.
Yeah, this has been a mess. AMEX will likely credit you, if you call and complain. Recently they have modified this and supposedly it works much better (just google it and you can see a number of bloggers and others discussing how it has changed). Here is one link discussing the changes, https://onemileatatime.com/amex-platinu ... er-to-use/

Now if I had to choose one card, I'd pick CSR over AMEX Platinum, largely because of how the travel credit works. Anyone who travels will trigger the $300 credit and immediately bring the CSR card cost down to $150. Then, even if you aren't someone who has any interest in searching for free flights, you can use the points at a 1.5 cent rate (not my first recommendation but it is simple) when buying airline tickets.

I'm not a huge Uber person so I probably only use about 50% of the credits. And I've yet to use the Saks $50 credits (Is there anything at Saks worth buying for under $100?).

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:21 pm

rich126 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:29 pm
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 am
oilrig wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
I found Uber credits to be difficult. I am in NYC so rarely use Uber in general but when I do, with all the new surcharges, it always come out to be more than $15 (closer to 20 most of the time) even for short distances in Manhattan. And I find it very annoying that then I would have to add the minimum $25 Uber cash just to use my $15 Uber credit :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I ended up ordering an odd sushi roll or a dessert from Ubereats once a month just so I don’t lose credits. Totally not smth I wouldn’t do otherwise.

Just my 2 cents of venting :happy
if you have the $15 Uber credit and your ride costs more than $15, it should just charge the remaining balance to your credit card (or whatever other method of payment you have on file). At least this is how it works with my uber. You shouldnt have to keep reloading with uber cash, unless thats the only method of payment you have on file.

Hmm it didn't work for me :?: Granted I only tried once so maybe I did something wrong.. I was in the cab already and tried choosing Uber Cash for payment and received the message that I don't have enough of it (with option to add $25). So I had to switch back to the credit card (already had the card saved in my uber profile) and the card got charged the full amount of ride ($17 so I literally was short two bucks :oops: ) Haven't tried it again since then.
Yeah, this has been a mess. AMEX will likely credit you, if you call and complain. Recently they have modified this and supposedly it works much better (just google it and you can see a number of bloggers and others discussing how it has changed). Here is one link discussing the changes, https://onemileatatime.com/amex-platinu ... er-to-use/

Now if I had to choose one card, I'd pick CSR over AMEX Platinum, largely because of how the travel credit works. Anyone who travels will trigger the $300 credit and immediately bring the CSR card cost down to $150. Then, even if you aren't someone who has any interest in searching for free flights, you can use the points at a 1.5 cent rate (not my first recommendation but it is simple) when buying airline tickets.

I'm not a huge Uber person so I probably only use about 50% of the credits. And I've yet to use the Saks $50 credits (Is there anything at Saks worth buying for under $100?).
Thanks! I didn’t realize they fixed the issue - my failed attempt happened in summer. Sacks credit is a pain but I think I found a loophole. If you buy something at sacks and then return it after the credit is posted, you end up with regular Amex credit that you can use for anything.

PS: I had CSR since it came out and love it. AMEX was really an experiment just to get the bonus and potentially keep it if easy to get the credits which hasn’t been the case

smectym
Posts: 610
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by smectym » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 am

Artsdoctor wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:23 pm
smectym wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:17 pm
Of course, without the fee go for AMEX Platinum. On an apples to apples basis AMEX Platinum is inferior to Sapphire Reserve (we currently have both, but that is redundant and we will probably ditch AMEX when it would come time to renew); but without the annual fee AMEX turns into a huge bargain and a no brainer. Congratulations.
I don't want to hijack the thread and take it in a different direction, but I am curious what you find inferior about AMEX when compared to the CSR VISA. I also have both and I view them differently. It might seem expensive to carry both but the benefits, for me, really do make up for the annual fees.
It seems like AMEX makes you jump through more hoops to get the relevant benefits, than does Sapphire. A grating example for us: we live in an area where we don’t need Uber that much. But another card holder on our account lives in LA, and uses Uber a lot. But because he’s not the primary cardholder, AMEX doesn’t let him use the Uber credit. Well, that is a big deal over the course of a year: It’s an offset against the annual fee that we’re just not getting—but AMEX gets the benefit of that LA card holders’ spend. And there are several other things like that; little bureaucratic “gotchas” that AMEX indulges in, that Chase more or less doesn’t

Direwolf14
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Direwolf14 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am

The other hoop that annoys me with AMEX is that you need to pre-select an airline for the $200 incidental credit. I fly several airlines and it's difficult to guess which one I'll accumulate $200 in luggage fees or upgrade charges in a given year.

User avatar
mws4ua
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:39 pm
Location: Birmingham, AL

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by mws4ua » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:38 am

I probably can't add much to what's been said, but if you can get the Platinum without the annual fee, DO IT!

Also, if you open a Charles Schwab affiliated card (open a CS brokerage account first... no $$$ required) you can cash your points out at 1.25x, so every $100 worth of points can be moved to CS at $125.

Topic Author
renegade06
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by renegade06 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks to all for the helpful responses!

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:33 pm

Direwolf14 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am
The other hoop that annoys me with AMEX is that you need to pre-select an airline for the $200 incidental credit. I fly several airlines and it's difficult to guess which one I'll accumulate $200 in luggage fees or upgrade charges in a given year.
For now $50 delta gift cards bought from computer (rather than phone) work to get credit. Those don’t expire I believe and can be used for anything (max 3 cards at one purchase)

User avatar
Nate79
Posts: 5177
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by Nate79 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:22 pm

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Direwolf14 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am
The other hoop that annoys me with AMEX is that you need to pre-select an airline for the $200 incidental credit. I fly several airlines and it's difficult to guess which one I'll accumulate $200 in luggage fees or upgrade charges in a given year.
For now $50 delta gift cards bought from computer (rather than phone) work to get credit. Those don’t expire I believe and can be used for anything (max 3 cards at one purchase)
This hasn't worked for a few months. Amex has closed most of these loopholes.

HomeStretch
Posts: 2882
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 pm

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Direwolf14 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am
The other hoop that annoys me with AMEX is that you need to pre-select an airline for the $200 incidental credit. I fly several airlines and it's difficult to guess which one I'll accumulate $200 in luggage fees or upgrade charges in a given year.
For now $50 delta gift cards bought from computer (rather than phone) work to get credit. Those don’t expire I believe and can be used for anything (max 3 cards at one purchase)
Have you had this work recently? DoctorOfCredit reported awhile back that Delta gift card purchases were no longer triggering the AMEX airline credit.I didn’t buy any this year but have done so in prior years.

ETA: NVM just saw Nate79’s subsequent post.

mpsz
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by mpsz » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:35 pm

ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 am
oilrig wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
I found Uber credits to be difficult. I am in NYC so rarely use Uber in general but when I do, with all the new surcharges, it always come out to be more than $15 (closer to 20 most of the time) even for short distances in Manhattan. And I find it very annoying that then I would have to add the minimum $25 Uber cash just to use my $15 Uber credit :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I ended up ordering an odd sushi roll or a dessert from Ubereats once a month just so I don’t lose credits. Totally not smth I wouldn’t do otherwise.

Just my 2 cents of venting :happy
if you have the $15 Uber credit and your ride costs more than $15, it should just charge the remaining balance to your credit card (or whatever other method of payment you have on file). At least this is how it works with my uber. You shouldnt have to keep reloading with uber cash, unless thats the only method of payment you have on file.

Hmm it didn't work for me :?: Granted I only tried once so maybe I did something wrong.. I was in the cab already and tried choosing Uber Cash for payment and received the message that I don't have enough of it (with option to add $25). So I had to switch back to the credit card (already had the card saved in my uber profile) and the card got charged the full amount of ride ($17 so I literally was short two bucks :oops: ) Haven't tried it again since then.
I've had similar experiences, Uber makes this credit very difficult to use both deliberately and through their incompetence.

When I use my credit, usually on Eats, I select my $15 credit and my default credit card. They will apply the credit and won't charge the card the difference. Without exception, the next time I try to schedule a ride, I get a message saying "YOU OWE US MONEY, NO RIDE FOR YOU", and I have to basically ask them to charge the card again that I already asked them to charge on Eats.

Also, do not EVER use Apple Pay in conjunction with the $15 credit. Their support cannot correct the case where their app glitches and "forgets" to apply the $15 credit if you used Apple Pay.

I would also encourage you to be vocal to AmEx about your difficulties in using this credit. Uber is such a terrible company, it boggles my mind that a company with a stellar reputation like AmEx partners with such a trash company.

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:22 pm
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Direwolf14 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am
The other hoop that annoys me with AMEX is that you need to pre-select an airline for the $200 incidental credit. I fly several airlines and it's difficult to guess which one I'll accumulate $200 in luggage fees or upgrade charges in a given year.
For now $50 delta gift cards bought from computer (rather than phone) work to get credit. Those don’t expire I believe and can be used for anything (max 3 cards at one purchase)
This hasn't worked for a few months. Amex has closed most of these loopholes.
:oops:

I did this in summer - when just opened the card. Another reason to close it after a year :annoyed

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 pm
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:33 pm
Direwolf14 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:19 am
The other hoop that annoys me with AMEX is that you need to pre-select an airline for the $200 incidental credit. I fly several airlines and it's difficult to guess which one I'll accumulate $200 in luggage fees or upgrade charges in a given year.
For now $50 delta gift cards bought from computer (rather than phone) work to get credit. Those don’t expire I believe and can be used for anything (max 3 cards at one purchase)
Have you had this work recently? DoctorOfCredit reported awhile back that Delta gift card purchases were no longer triggering the AMEX airline credit.I didn’t buy any this year but have done so in prior years.

ETA: NVM just saw Nate79’s subsequent post.
I did it in June - but I guess it's no longer an option :?

HomeStretch
Posts: 2882
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by HomeStretch » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Agree about keeping an eye out to make sure your Uber credit applies correctly. It has been glitchy for us. We’ve contacted AMEX a few times to get several months of UBER credits applied. Most recently AMEX sent us a letter telling us they were going to give us a credit for UBER charges where the credit hadn’t applied.

ImmigrantSaver
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Re: AMEX Platinum Card - Review?

Post by ImmigrantSaver » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:31 pm

mpsz wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:35 pm
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:59 am
oilrig wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:51 am
ImmigrantSaver wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:33 am
I found Uber credits to be difficult. I am in NYC so rarely use Uber in general but when I do, with all the new surcharges, it always come out to be more than $15 (closer to 20 most of the time) even for short distances in Manhattan. And I find it very annoying that then I would have to add the minimum $25 Uber cash just to use my $15 Uber credit :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed

I ended up ordering an odd sushi roll or a dessert from Ubereats once a month just so I don’t lose credits. Totally not smth I wouldn’t do otherwise.

Just my 2 cents of venting :happy
if you have the $15 Uber credit and your ride costs more than $15, it should just charge the remaining balance to your credit card (or whatever other method of payment you have on file). At least this is how it works with my uber. You shouldnt have to keep reloading with uber cash, unless thats the only method of payment you have on file.

Hmm it didn't work for me :?: Granted I only tried once so maybe I did something wrong.. I was in the cab already and tried choosing Uber Cash for payment and received the message that I don't have enough of it (with option to add $25). So I had to switch back to the credit card (already had the card saved in my uber profile) and the card got charged the full amount of ride ($17 so I literally was short two bucks :oops: ) Haven't tried it again since then.
I've had similar experiences, Uber makes this credit very difficult to use both deliberately and through their incompetence.

When I use my credit, usually on Eats, I select my $15 credit and my default credit card. They will apply the credit and won't charge the card the difference. Without exception, the next time I try to schedule a ride, I get a message saying "YOU OWE US MONEY, NO RIDE FOR YOU", and I have to basically ask them to charge the card again that I already asked them to charge on Eats.

Also, do not EVER use Apple Pay in conjunction with the $15 credit. Their support cannot correct the case where their app glitches and "forgets" to apply the $15 credit if you used Apple Pay.

I would also encourage you to be vocal to AmEx about your difficulties in using this credit. Uber is such a terrible company, it boggles my mind that a company with a stellar reputation like AmEx partners with such a trash company.
Wow. I didn't get messages like that. I ended up using the credit by ordering $10 worth of dessert from Uber Eats once a month. After delivery fee and a tip it's about $15, but definitely not something I'd be doing had I not had to recoup the credit..

At this point I don't want to bother with Amex and am waiting for the year end to close my card. Aside from hard to recoup credits, I find that I am just not a high end spender for whom the Amex benefits (high end hotel perks etc) are most useful..

Post Reply