TaxAct Discounts for 2019 version

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Jerry55

TaxAct Discounts for 2019 version

Post by Jerry55 »

TaxAct has gotten extremely expensive recently, and last year, I wound up shelling out about $79.95, whereas it used to be about $25-40.
And that was for only one state.

I was at Sam's club and I saw Turbo Tax for about $39.95, which included all state returns and Turbo Tax also imports most data from the prior year tax data.

Does anyone have any definitive data on this ? I'm seriously thinking of switching programs, as Tax Act has apparently bushwhacked not only me, but everyone else with their increases.
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!
jhfenton

Re: TaxAct Discounts for 2019 version

Post by jhfenton »

I had used TaxAct for several years too, but I switched away last year to H&R Block software when I saw the TaxAct price increase. Looking in my email receipts, I paid $18.00 on Amazon on Black Friday for H&R Block Deluxe. I believe I saw a discussion about it on here, in fact.

Edited: Yep. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=262899&start=100
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

jhfenton wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:51 am I had used TaxAct for several years too, but I switched away last year to H&R Block software when I saw the TaxAct price increase. Looking in my email receipts, I paid $18.00 on Amazon on Black Friday for H&R Block Deluxe. I believe I saw a discussion about it on here, in fact.

Edited: Yep. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=262899&start=100
+1
In fact, if you price track it using camelcamelcamel, you'll be notified when price falls to a preferred range for you to pounce.
I got mine at 18.99 too.
Never going back to TaxAct due to their pricing games.
Blake7

Post by Blake7 »

I used it for several years but dropped it a couple of years ago for the same reason as the OP’s. I have used the IRS’s online Free File Fillable Forms for the last two years and have been very happy with it.
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

Not useful for most Bogleheads, but I like to post about the IRS free file program for those under $66k income (70% of taxpayers).

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do ... -for-free
OAG

Post by OAG »

Been using FREETAX USA for last three years. FREE Fed & Pay for State (if necessary).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Jerry55 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:22 am TaxAct has gotten extremely expensive recently, and last year, I wound up shelling out about $79.95, whereas it used to be about $25-40.

I was at Sam's club and I saw Turbo Tax for about $39.95, which included all state returns and Turbo Tax also imports most data from the prior year tax data.

Does anyone have any definitive data on this ? I'm seriously thinking of switching programs, as Tax Act has apparently bushwhacked not only me, but everyone else with their increases.
Turbo Tax Deluxe with State includes ONE state. You pick the state when you're in the program. Once you pick a state, no more free states. In addition, while it lets you e-file the federal return for free, e-filing a state return is $19.99 (as I recall). I mail my state return.

The 2019 version isn't even out yet, I suspect anyone buying this early would get a bunch of "this form isn't ready" messages.

I'll be setting a CamelCamelCamel alert when it first comes out. Last year it was $39.99, plus a $10 gift card (that they mailed to you), so net cost $29.99 plus state tax on $39.99.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Another vote for Freetaxusa.com. I used to use Turbotax, then TaxAct when they kept on increasing the price. Additionally Freetaxusa handles the foreign tax credit (i.e. Total International Stock Index Fund) much more easily than TaxAct (at least as of 3 years ago).
John151

Post by John151 »

I used Turbotax when it was available at a discount or for free for Vanguard investors. When Vanguard dropped that option, I moved to TaxAct, and when TaxAct raised its prices, I moved to FreeTaxUSA. I’ve used FreeTaxUSA for the last couple of years and plan to use it going forward.

I use the Deluxe version ($6.99) and file my state tax return as well ($14.99), for a total cost of $21.98.
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

I switched from TaxAct to FreeTaxUSA (deluxe) last year, sort of a bad idea for one specific form: FreeTaxUSA claims to support Form 8888, turns out that's only true if you do direct deposit. You can't fill out the 8888 online if you're getting part of your return as Series I savings bonds.

I was pretty ticked off (I'd already paid, filled out everything and got to the end, only to have to file by mail). Guess I'll wait for H&R block to go on sale...
Last edited by Quercus Palustris on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlennK

Post by GlennK »

I used TaxAct when it was free. Then switched to CreditKarma once they started charging. There might have been another free one in there somewhere. Only problem with switching is having to type all the personal information in again. But it's worth saving the $20 or $30.
Tracker968

Post by Tracker968 »

Do you think the online programs are safe to use? It kind of freaking me out to put all my info in one place like that.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

I used Tax Act for a few years but it gradually got more expensive. Last year, for the first time, I used TaxFreeUSA. No problems.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
vshun

Post by vshun »

Used TaxAct for many years (prior to that used both leading competitors but TaxAct was cheaper though no frills). I am tired of playing their games with low prices on some days and to some new or existing customers but not to others and moved to FreeTaxUSA. Cheaper, no gimmicks or bait sales.
One thing I noticed FreeTaxUSA that 2 years ago did not generate a form for backDoor Roth (I am usually meticulous on entering backdoor tax data so 60% confident its software fault), I hope they fixed it now but will keep an eye on that form from now on when generating online return, otherwise was getting IRS letter with the bill...
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

When does FreeTaxUSA release a 2019 version? I like the preliminary versions for tax planning.
randybobandy

Post by randybobandy »

Jerry55 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:22 am TaxAct has gotten extremely expensive recently, and last year, I wound up shelling out about $79.95, whereas it used to be about $25-40.

What are you looking for in terms of definitive data?
I don't believe you were bushwhacked. You are free to accept their service for the price they set, or not.
Grammar and spelling matter. | Quoting the OP isn't a necessity.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

A vote for OLT (Online Tax) for free fed+state+efile if income <$66K (2018). Enter OLT from IRS referral link to get freefile option.

When I started using it several years ago, it seemed to be the least restrictive IRS freefile option. I continue using it for the same reason. It carries over my old information to start a new return, but tax data entry is manual---does not download tax data.

Don't know its limitations as have only needed to report pension, SS, investments, bank interest. Paid ~$16 last year when SS kicked me over the freefile limit.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
lazyday

Post by lazyday »

randybobandy wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:24 pmI don't believe you were bushwhacked. You are free to accept their service for the price they set, or not.
I'm also unhappy with Taxact for their 2018 tax year pricing, and hope to never use it again. Up to 2017 you could use their low end product and report capital gains with no problem. In 2018, you needed a much more expensive product.

I feel that Taxact lured me in with reasonable pricing, and then raised prices quite a bit higher than the competition. There's a switching cost, since not all data automatically is transferred when you switch brands. I should have just stayed with Turbotax the whole time.
nbseer

Post by nbseer »

Another vote for FreeTaxUsa. Free for federal, $14.99 for N.J. state return.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

I picked up H&R Block Deluxe for 19 bucks last year around Black Friday. Usually someone will post here when the price is down below 20 dollars....
Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris »

Monster99 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:13 pm I picked up H&R Block Deluxe for 19 bucks last year around Black Friday. Usually someone will post here when the price is down below 20 dollars....
Do any of the online file providers (H&R, TaxAct) ever go on sale or just their desktop software? I don't have windows so I have to file online.
Topic Author
Jerry55

Post by Jerry55 »

lazyday wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:57 pm
randybobandy wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:24 pmI don't believe you were bushwhacked. You are free to accept their service for the price they set, or not.
I'm also unhappy with Taxact for their 2018 tax year pricing, and hope to never use it again. Up to 2017 you could use their low end product and report capital gains with no problem. In 2018, you needed a much more expensive product.

I feel that Taxact lured me in with reasonable pricing, and then raised prices quite a bit higher than the competition. There's a switching cost, since not all data automatically is transferred when you switch brands. I should have just stayed with Turbotax the whole time.

EXACTLY ! The price was right until you needed that very last piece to complete, then BLAM ! BUSHWHACKED.
I purchased the same item as the prior year, then found out I had to BUY a whole new program, and no updates/upgrades were to be found.

You ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT ! Thank You ! End of My Story.
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

Quercus Palustris wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:38 pm
Monster99 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:13 pm I picked up H&R Block Deluxe for 19 bucks last year around Black Friday. Usually someone will post here when the price is down below 20 dollars....
Do any of the online file providers (H&R, TaxAct) ever go on sale or just their desktop software? I don't have windows so I have to file online.
I don't know if the online versions go on sale - some of the OL programs are free if your taxes are simple. I buy the off-line product , then my brother and the nephews get together and we do taxes in the spring... It's like a tax party!☺☺
AAA

Post by AAA »

It seems most of these tax software vendors have done things to irritate customers. I switched from TurboTax to H&R a few years ago because of some such issues, which at this point are not worth going over.

My only complaint about H&R is their advertising over pricing. A couple of years ago, I received an early email offering the program at their best price, which I went for, but it subsequently was available at a lower price. They did refund me the difference when I complained, but why play games like that?
retired early&luv it

Post by retired early&luv it »

Tracker968 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:14 pm Do you think the online programs are safe to use? It kind of freaking me out to put all my info in one place like that.
I have only used Turbo Tax on line. There are years of my data in one place, if my computer hard drive crashes or some other disaster, I feel better about my data being stored elsewhere where I trust (or hope) that it is fully backed up.

Do I think it is safe? I have no clue what is the safest option for storing data any more. Even the safest option of putting my data on a memory device and not on my hard drive is not very safe if my condo burns down.
AAA

Post by AAA »

retired early&luv it wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:26 amEven the safest option of putting my data on a memory device and not on my hard drive is not very safe if my condo burns down.
Or the memory device could fail. It's usually recommended to keep multiple copies, including one at a remote location.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Guess no discount for TaxAct...
Want to save me money, move to another vendor!
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

There's also Excel1040.com, a down-loadable spreadsheet. It's fed only and has to be mailed.

As it does capital gains, I've used it several times to play whatifs (research bond fund candidates and AMT exposure) because it's fast to enter only the needed numbers (everything else can be left blank).
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

I see all the complaints about TaxAct increasing their prices, but I'm looking into using it for my mother's trust and estate tax returns. Two returns.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for software that would be compatible with a MAC and can be used for trusts and estates?
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

Billionaire wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:42 pm I see all the complaints about TaxAct increasing their prices, but I'm looking into using it for my mother's trust and estate tax returns. Two returns.

Does anybody have any other suggestions for software that would be compatible with a MAC and can be used for trusts and estates?
TurboTax
HR Block

If it's first time with trusts and estates, how about an actual professional who can do it right for one year and you can learn.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I'm still going to use TaxAct for now. Inertia is so bad. :oops:
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

ryman554 wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:11 am
Billionaire wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:42 pm I see all the complaints about TaxAct increasing their prices, but I'm looking into using it for my mother's trust and estate tax returns. Two returns.

TurboTax
HR Block

If it's first time with trusts and estates, how about an actual professional who can do it right for one year and you can learn.
Turbo Tax is not compatible with a MAC. I'll have to look into HR Block. I did have an accountant prepare the trust return for two years. I had to correct them several times during preparation of the second one. I've been preparing it manually for two years and want to use software this year. I don't believe an estate return will be necessary, not enough assets/income. Majority of the money is in the trust.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

Billionaire wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:50 pm

TurboTax
HR Block

Turbo Tax is not compatible with a MAC. I'll have to look into HR Block. I did have an accountant prepare the trust return for two years. I had to correct them several times during preparation of the second one. I've been preparing it manually for two years and want to use software this year. I don't believe an estate return will be necessary, not enough assets/income. Majority of the money is in the trust.
I don't know where you get that TT is not compatible with a MAC

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes ... /00/495092

Unless MAC means something else.

Good to know that you did the right thing and "corrected" your CPA...
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

ryman554 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 am

TurboTax
HR Block

You cannot use Turbo Tax to create Form 1041 for Estates and Trusts using a MAC. Not MAC compatible. Or did I miss something?
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

Billionaire wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:30 pm
ryman554 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 am

TurboTax
HR Block

You cannot use Turbo Tax to create Form 1041 for Estates and Trusts using a MAC. Not MAC compatible. Or did I miss something?
Huh. Now I've seen everything. You're right, TurboTax Business is neither online nor available for a mac. How weird is this?
kriskd

Post by kriskd »

vshun wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:20 pm One thing I noticed FreeTaxUSA that 2 years ago did not generate a form for backDoor Roth (I am usually meticulous on entering backdoor tax data so 60% confident its software fault), I hope they fixed it now but will keep an eye on that form from now on when generating online return, otherwise was getting IRS letter with the bill...
Confirming that this is form 8606 for a Roth conversion. We will have this as part of our 2019 taxes and would like to confirm FreeTaxUSA can handle this as we are interested in changing from TaxAct based on the good reviews here.