Spending Money - Surprising Low Fun Return

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
JoeRetire

Re: Spending Money - Surprising Low Fun Return

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:34 pm

smectym wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:34 am
I don’t believe that there’s anything significantly different in “buying experiences.” Once you buy something, anything, it
commodifies whatever you bought whether it’s an experience or an SUV. To commodify is to trivialize. One never wants to be the dude at the dude ranch, or the rich guy buying a guaranteed kill on an African safari, or the first civilian billionaire to land on the moon. Increasingly in our time, one would not wish to be a tourist; hatred of tourists has become toxic in many formerly welcoming destinations.

Instead, real experiences will probably find us, at no charge, when we’re not seeking them, and in fact are desperately trying to avoid them. Well: cheaper, anyway
I agree.

While it's trendy to claim "experiences" are somehow inherently better purchases that "things", there's no factual basis to the claim.

Some things can bring you joy. Some experiences can bring you joy.

After a while, the "marginal joy" diminishes in most cases.
Don't be a lemming.

Nekrotok

Post by Nekrotok » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:12 am

Starfish wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:42 pm
There is no difference. Things give experiences.
I don't understand why would anybody desire a truck or what is a "nice truck" (what is a "nice hammer"?) but a car produces an experience every time you drive it. Same for motorcycle, bicycle, skis, climbing gear, boat, ATV, snowmobile, RV, airplane etc.
If anything buying a thing could be a much better value because you can get a lot more experience from the that thing than from a one time use. On the downside you are stuck with those experiences for long term.

Probably in this case was not even a genuine desire for the thing, just a memory of the desire.
That actually is the distinction. Things are just a means to an end, which are the experiences they may enable you to have. The point is to think out what experiences you are trying to get before you buy the thing and not just buy it because it is a very nice shiny thing. Are you gonna tow or haul something with that truck? Maybe just driving it everyday makes you feel special. Or would you actually enjoy slaving away at cleaning and babying it like some expensive art piece that never leaves the garage. Maybe you would or maybe not, but the point is to think about what you're actually gonna do with it and what you'll get out of it before you buy it, not just think about what's the shiniest most special thing to buy, which is what happens a lot of the time..

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:13 am

I think it's about knowing who you are, what you enjoy and what makes you happy. Often times spending money or making a "wrong" choice helps you learn and understand yourself better. I too have bought stuff thinking I would enjoy it but end up not, so then I use that experience to help me make better and more thoughtful choices in the future. Some regrettable purchases include bikes, clothes, concert tickets, various restaurants, tours and so on. Both things and experiences.

Miguelito

Post by Miguelito » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:20 am

I love my nice car. I love my nice house. I'd be even happier in a more expensive house and an even more expensive nice car(s). You can't get those sounds out of cheap cars. Nice clothes feel nicer than cheap ones. They also fit better. They also last longer. Nice tools work and feel better than cheap ones. Nice bikes are lighter and shift better than cheap ones. A stake house will/should do a better job than Applebee's on a piece of meat. Nice hotels are a better experience than a Howard Johnson. Etc.

You may feel it's not worth it, but that is a function of how much you appreciate or can use the marginal improvement.

Spend money on what you like and appreciate.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 pm

If you buy a new car, like it for a few weeks. The car is still there even if you don't like it any more. You have to spend money on it continuously or get rid of it.
If you spend money on experience, not necessarily travel, the spending ends when the experience ends, good or bad.
It is easier to get a different experience than get a new car.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:33 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 pm
If you buy a new car, like it for a few weeks. The car is still there even if you don't like it any more. You have to spend money on it continuously or get rid of it.
If you spend money on experience, not necessarily travel, the spending ends when the experience ends, good or bad.
"It is easier to get a different experience than get a new car."
But the car has residual value so it may be cheaper to get w new car.
Or maybe rent the car...
Not too much difference between experiences that do not have a physical component and experiences that have no physical component.
Seems the hardest part for many is deciding which ones they may like to try and whether they are worth the time/cost/investment.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 pm

We also don't aspire to purchase items or "spend" money. Our goal of early retirement is to simply have time to do the things we love to do on the weekends (and longer trips), but full-time.

If anyone would like to donate to our FIRE fund, feel free ;)

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:43 am

flyingaway wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 pm
Easy attainability could also lead to less thoughtful spending.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:28 am

surfstar wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 pm
We also don't aspire to purchase items or "spend" money. Our goal of early retirement is to simply have time to do the things we love to do on the weekends (and longer trips), but full-time.

If anyone would like to donate to our FIRE fund, feel free ;)
I do not have to retire if I just want to enjoy the weekends. More money is more ways to enjoy the weekends.
If you want to do longer trips, especially overseas trips, maybe you need to retire (early or not) .