Trip insurance - purchase through orbitz.com or outside?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
new2bogle

Trip insurance - purchase through orbitz.com or outside?

Post by new2bogle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 am

We're going on a 3 week European trip this summer and I've purchased the "trip protection" insurance offered by Orbitz. I still have time to cancel it though. It's $240 for all 5 of us. Has anyone compared the Orbitz trip insurance benefits vs. trip insurance sold elsewhere? For instance, I can go to https://www.squaremouth.com to get a quote also and they provide policies from several different companies.

Any reason not to go with the one offered by Orbitz? Any insurance provider better/worse? Cost differences are mostly insignificant at <$75 total.

ResearchMed

Re: Trip insurance - purchase through orbitz.com or outside?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:45 am

new2bogle wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 am
We're going on a 3 week European trip this summer and I've purchased the "trip protection" insurance offered by Orbitz. I still have time to cancel it though. It's $240 for all 5 of us. Has anyone compared the Orbitz trip insurance benefits vs. trip insurance sold elsewhere? For instance, I can go to https://www.squaremouth.com to get a quote also and they provide policies from several different companies.

Any reason not to go with the one offered by Orbitz? Any insurance provider better/worse? Cost differences are mostly insignificant at <$75 total.
We get our travel insurance from a different broker, TripInsuranceStore.com
We happen to select policies from Travel Insured, but your needs may differ.

However, we can definitely say that TI pays their claims, including big ones, and that's what counts, after all.

There are some deadlines for getting certain types of coverage, so do call promptly.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:00 am

+1
TripInsuranceStore.com
We happen to select policies from Travel Insured, but your needs may differ.
However, we can definitely say that TI pays their claims,
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

magicrat

Post by magicrat » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:14 am

+2. Bought a TI policy from them this morning. It's our first time traveling with an infant and I had some detailed questions, which they were able to easily answer on the phone. Very responsive and competent. Give them a call.

supersecretname

Post by supersecretname » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:35 am

Timely thread for me. Booking first "big" family vacation, and wanted something. Thanks

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:40 am

supersecretname wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:35 am
Timely thread for me. Booking first "big" family vacation, and wanted something. Thanks
If you call a broker such as TIS, they'll talk in some detail with you (if you wish!), and help you select a policy.
There are lots of choices, even within a single insurer, and you don't want to pay for parts you don't need, or omit something you didn't realize you might need.

The online summaries just cannot capture all of the details.

Also, TIS will help with a claim in case that is needed.
This past time, it was a busy season with some major storms, even though that had nothing to do with *our* claim. The insurers were swamped for a while.
TIS made a quick call, and we got everything taken care of promptly. (That's the first time that's been needed, but this was also our largest claim, so we really felt better when that check did arrive.)

RM

Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks all, multiple recommendations for the same product sounds good to me. I read their policy as well and it seems inclusive enough, though I may call TIS as suggested to make sure. One of my concerns is a 90 mins transfer (which would include clearing customs..) when travelling from Europe back to the U.S. - any delay and we miss our flight home at 8PM which could be the last flight out that night.

thedane

Post by thedane » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Did you check what coverage your credit card offers you?
Also, check what your health insurance covers while out of the country.

I rarely purchase travel insurance as I am covered pretty well via:
1) My credit card
2) My US health insurance
3) An evacuation insurance

Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:07 pm

thedane wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 pm
Did you check what coverage your credit card offers you?
Also, check what your health insurance covers while out of the country.

I rarely purchase travel insurance as I am covered pretty well via:
1) My credit card
2) My US health insurance
3) An evacuation insurance
Yes good point. But at $100 for the entire trip, it's too cheap to pass up.

As another question, does it matter much if the trip insurance medical coverage is primary or secondary?

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:10 pm

new2bogle wrote:As another question, does it matter much if the trip insurance medical coverage is primary or secondary?
It matters if you end up in the hospital and have to pay the entire bill before they will release you.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 pm

does it cover cancel for any reason, or restrictions?

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Lalamimi wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:23 pm
does it cover cancel for any reason, or restrictions?
It all depends upon which policy is purchased, and that is a reason it can be so helpful/important to speak with a broker (no extra charge for that, to the client), who can explain the pros/cons/differences/etc.

RM

Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:21 am

I ended up getting the Travel Insured "Plus" trip insurance. It was the same price as what orbitz was offering (well, $1 more expensive) but had much much better terms.

Thanks all.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:37 am

You are thinking of paying $240 for trip insurance.
If instead, you paid $450 for a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and bought the tickets with it, you would have received trip insurance, PLUS $300-600 in travel expenses for the coming year, PLUS whatever signup bonus they are offering currently (at least 50K points redeemable at 1.5/1 for travel expenses), PLUS 3x points for your travel expenses, plus global entry free, plus a lot of other benefits.
I don't know the fine points of the trip insurance included with the CSR card vs Orbitz, but on the surface it sure seems to me to be a much better deal.

Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 pm

protagonist wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:37 am
If instead, you paid $450 for a Chase Sapphire Reserve card and bought the tickets with it, you would have received trip insurance, PLUS $300-600 in travel expenses for the coming year, PLUS whatever signup bonus they are offering currently (at least 50K points redeemable at 1.5/1 for travel expenses), PLUS 3x points for your travel expenses, plus global entry free, plus a lot of other benefits.
I don't know the fine points of the trip insurance included with the CSR card vs Orbitz, but on the surface it sure seems to me to be a much better deal.
Too late now!

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 am

new2bogle wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 pm
protagonist wrote:
Too late now!
Think about it for next time.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:25 am

protagonist wrote:
That is exactly what we do - we have a few of these CSR cards.