Entrance Fee for Retirement Community

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
stan1

Re: Entrance Fee for Retirement Community

Post by stan1 »

You might be young to move there unless it is relatively new and they made a specific effort to bring people in that were younger than typical. I think you'll find most people in an established CCRC these days enter around 80 so many residents are above that. Friends of ours live in a very large "non profit" CCRC in Silver Spring (you'll know which one it is; maybe it is the one you are considering). They moved there after a health scare in their early 80s and generally like it a lot; primary minor complaint is that now that they are in their late 80s the people around them are getting sicker faster than they are and that they are around too many "old people" (their wording not mine). Your situation and reactions may be different.

Is there a different floor plan that would be acceptable but not optimal? It seems like you might be boxing yourselves in by seeking a very specific unit.

I think COVID will be handled differently in the future with respect to sales. I'm not sure that they would stop move ins but would instead keep social distancing and masking throughout the process based on the information we know right now. Maybe they are offering a turn key move-in service that doesn't require your presence at your old home or your new home as an incentive? Community dining rooms and group activities will be very different. For that reason you might want to wait.
Topic Author
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

stan1 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:53 pm You might be young to move there unless it is relatively new and they made a specific effort to bring people in that were younger than typical. I think you'll find most people in an established CCRC these days enter around 80 so many residents are above that. Friends of ours live in a very large "non profit" CCRC in Silver Spring (you'll know which one it is; maybe it is the one you are considering). They moved there after a health scare in their early 80s and generally like it a lot; primary minor complaint is that now that they are in their late 80s the people around them are getting sicker faster than they are and that they are around too many "old people" (their wording not mine). Your situation and reactions may be different.

Is there a different floor plan that would be acceptable but not optimal? It seems like you might be boxing yourselves in by seeking a very specific unit.

I think COVID will be handled differently in the future with respect to sales. I'm not sure that they would stop move ins but would instead keep social distancing and masking throughout the process based on the information we know right now. Maybe they are offering a turn key move-in service that doesn't require your presence at your old home or your new home as an incentive? Community dining rooms and group activities will be very different. For that reason you might want to wait.
This apartment is in a new building where move ins started last December. The building and the apartments are extremely attractive. There are other floor plans that would be acceptable. The ages of the new residents are younger than typical of most CRCCs. Many are couples that have 10 to 20 year life expectancies, so the turnover of apartments is expected to be slow.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

drawpoker wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:49 pm
delamer wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:18 pm
The CCRCs that I have personal experience with don’t have cottages; independent living is apartment-style.
I would cross those off my list then. If you are in reasonably good health, and can afford the larger entry fee, you would be happier in a cottage.

If the CCRC offers nothing but apts. the most desirable ones in demand (and you will never get one because the waiting list will go on for decades :shock: ) will be the first floor ones. Because of the patio, screened porch, deck, or similar. Everything else on the upper floors will be able to offer only a (small) balcony. Maybe screened, maybe not.

If you are seriously looking at these places I would definitely expand my search.
A sweeping and incorrect generalization. My parents are in an apartment-style CCRC and have a huge screened balcony on an upper floor, larger than the porches associated with many ground floor units. Both porches and balconies vary in size corresponding to the size of the underlying apartment - the bigger apartments have bigger exterior spaces. Clearly, the size of such spaces varies with the specific community under discussion. Many people prefer the upper floors for privacy reasons; others prefer ground floor units for the convenience of not needing to use the elevators or stairs.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

We have been in a CCRC for about a year now. Our biggest adjustments were:
The average age of the residents is in the low 80's. We see really nice older people. Many get around with walkers and are very coherent, but we are still making this adjustment. Maybe as we get older it will be less obvious to us, or we will be using walkers.

We really miss our ability to step into our garage and drive off whenever we want, and retain our privacy. Groceries are a bit of a hassle now.

We were locked down for about 3 months, no visitors. But keeping us locked down kept us from dangerous behaviour.

Only 1 person got Covid and with excellent care they totally recovered. No one else got it. so i guess it worked.

It was a decision we made to move here based on our potential health problems. Don't be too late trying to get in. You may be excluded by physical or mental limitations.

On the whole, it was the right move for us. We are well, and will be taken care of for the rest of our lives no matter who gets sick first.

It is an expensive place to live. It is a type A facility and they will never toss you out for spending down your $.
Last edited by Dan999 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan999
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Dan999 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:49 pm We have been in a CCRC for a year now. Our biggest adjustments were:
The average age of the residents is in the low 80's. We see really nice but very old people. About half get around with walkers and are very coherent, but we are still making this adjustment.
Would you mind sharing your ages when you moved in?
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

AGES 75
We are waiting on you Boomers to bring rock and roll and move past the 40's big band music.
Dan999