I bought a STOLEN vehicle!!!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
futurewealthy

I bought a STOLEN vehicle!!!

Post by futurewealthy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:45 am

Its a long shot but I wanted to ask if any of you have got into a similar situation and got their money back?

So I'll try to keep it as short as possible. Me and my spouse purchased a 2018 Nissan Altima for $13,000 cash from a private seller. Before pulling the trigger on it, I ran a carfax on the vehicle, test drove it 3 times, checked the VIN to make sure it matched the pink slip. Everything matched and the vehicle ran great. Carfax didn't have any negative reporting on it. After pulling the trigger on it. We registered it with the DMV, we took it to Nissan for a services. No red flags with neither one. 5 months later, CHP investigators are standing by the car when I get home from work. They said the DMV flagged the vehicle, (which is odd because 1. DMV took my money to register the vehicle with no issue, and 2. I questioned the investigator why all of a sudden did they flag it, it changed his story and said a different agency flagged it, he wouldn't mention the agency) and after a short conversation and inspection of the vehicle, it was noticed the VIN number was tampered with, it was a duplicate VIN from an exact same Altima. :confused we had a chance to get our belongings from the car but after it was gone, taken away from us. with the new tires and new brakes and fees, its looking like we will have to swallow that about 15k we put into that car. We are still waiting on the outcome of the insurance claim with Mercury but what I have been reading and what one insurance broker has told me, the claim will most likely be denied. The information I once had regarding the seller, I delete off my phone, I can't get the images back that I took of his drivers license or his girlfriends license plate. I hope not but has anyone gone through this and has have a positive outcome?

GMCZ71

Re: I bought a STOLEN vehicle!!!

Post by GMCZ71 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 am

No money back for my friend.
Same things: Sheriff repo on Christmas eve. DMV took the money to register in his name. Seller was a car dealer and had no knowledge it was stolen.

Friend got a lawyer but still had to pay the bank loan on stolen vehicle in the end.
John

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 am

Unfortunately, you may be without much legal recourse. While I am not admitted as an attorney in California, it appears the law there would not provide you any relief from what is unfortunately a not unheard of situation. Here is a case on point: https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-court-of ... 61564.html

You may want to confirm whether your phone backs up photos to the cloud (such as Google Photos on an Android) before you give up hope of finding the information you had on the seller. If you can find that information and provide it to CHP, there is the remote possibility that an arrest could be made and restitution ordered by a court if a case is successfully prosecuted.

You may want to consult with an attorney in your area for further guidance. Sorry to hear of your situation.

student

Post by student » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:05 am

GMCZ71 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 am
No money back for my friend.
Same things: Sheriff repo on Christmas eve. DMV took the money to register in his name. Seller was a car dealer and had no knowledge it was stolen.

Friend got a lawyer but still had to pay the bank loan on stolen vehicle in the end.
Did you friend sue the the car dealer?

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:09 am

Are you sure the car wasn't stolen from you???

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:13 am

Do a search on text and picture recovery. I don't know the products, but my son needed a lot of deleted information and for something like $60 was able to recover everything he had deleted. Sorry I can't help more.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:18 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:09 am
Are you proposing that someone impersonated CHP officials to steal a used Altima worth $13k? That's funny or possibly sad.

Cheers

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:20 am

You don't even know if the sellers were even aware they were selling a stolen car.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:35 am

Your best bet is to try to recover your phone data and/or provide other helpful information to the authorities so the seller can be located. Seller may or may not have been aware of the fraud.

If it is an ongoing scam by the seller, perhaps check whatever website you found the car as on to see if there is an identically-worded ad running that jogs your memory?

I see that vehicle title insurance is available. That is an option for buyers to consider to protect themselves.

sjt

Post by sjt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:50 am

$13,000 cash
Like, $13,000 in paper money?!
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:53 am

Seller's information would be at the DMV...

Price you paid looks like a pretty steep discount.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

greenback

Post by greenback » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:57 am

This is an all to common scam called VIN Cloning. As far as i'm aware, you are going to be out of the $13,000 and out of a car. Sorry you were unfortunate enough to be a victim. For what it's worth, i've read about dealerships even being taken.
You shouldn’t retire until your money starts making more money than you made in your best year.

student

Post by student » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 am

Is there a business out there they will charge you for a fee to make sure the car title is "clean" and guarantee it? So you pay a fee, it will do a search, if it says the title is clean, it will insured its authenticity.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:53 am
Seller's information would be at the DMV...

Price you paid looks like a pretty steep discount.
+1. If I recall correctly, when you purchase the car, the document you are required to fill out to register the car at the DMV contains the name and address of the seller, the purchase price, etc. If you had the DL picture then you would’ve checked they matched. Now, if it was a fake ID, the name/address could be wrong. Not sure if the DMV form also requires the seller’s DL#. It may also vary by state.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am

I probably wouldn't have recognized the scam either unless a google search on "how to buy a car from craigslist" told me to do something different than you.

Did you check all of the accessible VIN # plates on the car?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am

Follow up with Carfax, to see what their guarantee does and does not cover.

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:07 am

greenback wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:57 am
This is an all to common scam called VIN Cloning. As far as i'm aware, you are going to be out of the $13,000 and out of a car. Sorry you were unfortunate enough to be a victim. For what it's worth, i've read about dealerships even being taken.
Is there anyway to protect yourself against VIN cloning?

1. Check the VIN# on some obscure part in the vehicle?
2. If price is too good to be true...? Demand to see DL#, run background check, ask for CC and passport also showing person’s name?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:14 am

Were you not suspicious that the deal was too good to be true?? Also, why did you take a photo of his driver’s license and the GF license plate? Maybe I’m too careless when buying a used vehicle but I’ve never done that.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:15 am

JBTX wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am
Follow up with Carfax, to see what their guarantee does and does not cover.
The VIN was cloned. The Carfax would have been for the cloned vehicle. The OP bought a different vehicle. Carfax has nothing do with that.

MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:18 am

The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) has a database dedicated to this. If you use one of the approved providers, you can receive a report that will help weed out whether or not you're buying a cloned vehicle. This is apparently quite a bit more effective than Carfax.

Late info, I know. Sorry for your situation.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am

tigerdoc93 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:14 am
Were you not suspicious that the deal was too good to be true?? Also, why did you take a photo of his driver’s license and the GF license plate? Maybe I’m too careless when buying a used vehicle but I’ve never done that.
Yes, you were careless, but lucked out.

You should always take a picture of the buyer's DL and the tag of the vehicle that brought them. I always get the DL from the driver of vehicle too.

This may provide leads to investigators if it is stolen. While the buyer's DL may be fake, it is unlikely all three will be fake/stolen.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 am

One can quickly check the VIN number with an OBD2 scanner and see if matches the VIN number on the chassis. It is possible to spoof the car software, but much harder to do than placing new stickers or welding a new vin plate.

haripatil

Post by haripatil » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 am

If you have post paid phone then try to get detailed call records statement and you may be able to recover at least his phone number if its working. As well there must have been title transfer done, is there any record at DMV for old title? Like address of seller or anything.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am

sk2101 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 am
One can quickly check the VIN number with an OBD2 scanner and see if matches the VIN number on the chassis. It is possible to spoof the car software, but much harder to do than placing new stickers or welding a new vin plate.
Let's be serious here and cut the OP a little slack.

The OP checked the VIN against the registration, and took pictures of the buyer's DL and GF's tag. That is probably more than 99.5% of buyers do. I have had an OBD2 scanner for two decades, but have never thought to use it to check the VIN of a used car being purchased. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

London

Post by London » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am

This topic is really going to play well with the paranoid, risk averse nature of many on the forum (especially as it relates to third party transactions).

Sorry that you’re in this situation. It sounds like you did everything the right way and it still came up snake eyes.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:16 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 am
sk2101 wrote:

The OP checked the VIN against the registration, and took pictures of the buyer's DL and GF's tag. That is probably more than 99.5% of buyers do. I have had an OBD2 scanner for two decades, but have never thought to use it to check the VIN of a used car being purchased. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.
I have a couple OBD II scanners and have never looked for nor seen the VIN. Don't know if it does/doesn't check it, but I'll be looking into it later. I'm always looking for something specific (what's the code making the CEL come on?.....which wheel speed sensor isn't working?.......are all the monitors ready?)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

sjt

Post by sjt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:17 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
sk2101 wrote:

Surely not everyone knows this, but I think Spirit Rider was simply suggesting some info that hasn't been presented yet - and something I will certainly do for my next used car purchase :sharebeer
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:26 am

Actually, I was replying to @sk2101, who was suggesting it.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:32 am

sjt wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:50 am
$13,000 cash
That was my thought too.

I am sorry for what you are going through, but why would you make a major purchase from a private seller in cash?

Any chance of getting fingerprints off the car?

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:18 am
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Are you proposing that someone impersonated CHP officials to steal a used Altima worth $13k? That's funny or possibly sad.

Cheers
Yes, why not? It's more profitable and less violent than stealing the cash from someone's wallet. The story sounded odd.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:38 am

delamer wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:32 am
sjt wrote:
$13,000 cash
That was my thought too.

I am sorry for what you are going through, but why would you make a major purchase from a private seller in cash?

Any chance of getting fingerprints off the car?
"I am sorry for what you are going through, but why would you make a major purchase from a private seller in cash?"
What difference would cash or bank check make 5 months later?

shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:42 am

delamer wrote:
Aside from getting robbed on the way to the purchase, how's this different from other means of payment? What's the alternative suggestion?

Me personally, I think I'd use a bank check (aka "cashier's check"), but I'm not sure how I see how that would change the outcome in this case? Sounds like the check would've cleared and the funds would've been long gone by the time the OP figured out the problem.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:53 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
sk2101 wrote:

I agree hindsight is 20/20, I was just saying that it is possible to check. This is a wake up call and I will be checking if I buy a used car in the future!

victw

Post by victw » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:57 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:35 am
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:18 am
FoolMeOnce wrote:

Cheers
Yes, why not? It's more profitable and less violent than stealing the cash from someone's wallet. The story sounded odd.
Also - I was trying to figure out - how they found the buyer of the car? Through the DMV I guess. But it's such a weird story.

I've never bought used through a private seller. But I will put this on my list of things to check when we buy used.

Vic

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 am

Wow. One reason I often pass up "deals". I'm afraid to give strangers money for stuff like this. Unfortunately you did what you could and still got taken.

This does remind me of a story of a used car salesman. A guy I knew got a job as a used car salesman back about 7 years ago. He got bonuses for reaching various thresholds of cars sold in a month, warranties, etc. Seemed like he could make 8-10K in a good month.

He told me of one rather unscrupulous salesman. When this salesman would run a carfax report and it found something negative, he would always make an excuse to the potential buyer and just claim "oh, the system isn't working right now but I'm sure everything is ok". And unfortunately more than a few naive buyers wouldn't press on that issue.

Good luck.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:41 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
sk2101 wrote:

I agree there's probably some people who do the scanner thing or will now, might seem a significant % based on people here, but in the real world you're probably in the ballpark on 0.5% even doing all of visible VIN v reg, Carfax, and keeping pictures of seller's ID/plates.

Come to think of it though, I've never bought a used car from somebody I didn't know at all. From dealers (though harder to believe you couldn't get them to cough up money if real dealer sold you a stolen car, if you make enough of a fuss) and from people I at least somewhat know. And I've mainly bought new cars in recent decades. This case isn't *why* I buy new cars, but anyway.

Quickly KBB'ing 2018 Altima $13k is low on average across all permutations of sub model, options, condition and miles but not below the bottom end of plausible for the lowest trim level and a particular car that was ridden hard in 1-2yr life with first owner. Maybe with full details it would be more clearly a low ball, and that is something I think most people at least think they are wary of (no blame is intended, again I don't know how obviously low $13k is with all details).

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:51 am

FoolMeOnce wrote:
That was my first thought, too.
delamer wrote:
sjt wrote:
$13,000 cash
Probably because, as a seller, I would never accept anything but cash. Too easy to fall victim to a fake check scam.
Spirit Rider wrote:
The OP checked the VIN against the registration, and took pictures of the buyer's DL and GF's tag. That is probably more than 99.5% of buyers do.
Absolutely. When I bought a used car last month, I met the seller, took the car on a test drive to a mechanic for a quick once-over, then went back and handed the seller seven $100 bills in exchange for a signed title and the key, and drove away.

OP,

I've never been the victim of buying a stolen car, but I did end up buying one once from a curbstoner and ended up in paperwork purgatory for awhile. But that's absolutely nothing compared to your situation and I am so sorry that happened to you.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am

You used carfax? Doesn't carfax have a warranty for purchasing vehicles? Or is it just if its a lemon or been in an accident?

That would be something I would look into.

bberris

Post by bberris » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:20 am
You don't even know if the sellers were even aware they were selling a stolen car.
They would still have to give the buyer his purchase money back. Not sure about all the other expenses.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:51 am
FoolMeOnce wrote:
That was my first thought, too.
delamer wrote:
sjt wrote:
$13,000 cash
Probably because, as a seller, I would never accept anything but cash. Too easy to fall victim to a fake check scam.
There are ways to satisfy both parties in a legitimate transaction without using cash, so that you each have a money trail.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:03 pm

N10sive wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am
You used carfax? Doesn't carfax have a warranty for purchasing vehicles? Or is it just if its a lemon or been in an accident?

Even if Carfax had a warranty, the OP searched a specific vin # and then bought a different vehicle. The car purchased was not the one Carfax issued the report on.

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:04 pm

Sorry this happened to you :? It makes me want to stay away from private parties in the future for any car purchases, even if I pay a premium at the dealer. :shock:

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:06 pm

Even if you kept the thief's info, there is a good chance it was stolen and even if the cops caught him you would not get any money back. Sorry for your loss.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:07 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:54 pm

There are ways to satisfy both parties in a legitimate transaction without using cash, so that you each have a money trail.
I agree, 13k in bills would scream counterfeiter to me.

At least with a check, the police could get a warrant and figure out what bank cashed the check and possibly pull details of the account it went into, or the atm/bank camera footage if it wasn't cashed into an account. Cash is not much better than a check.

Highly unfortunate situation.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:09 pm

Kind of related question: Is there title insurance for cars widely available and how much would it cost?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:13 pm

JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:04 pm
Sorry this happened to you :? It makes me want to stay away from private parties in the future for any car purchases, even if I pay a premium at the dealer. :shock:
Ditto. This makes me glad that we bought our last vehicle new from a dealer. There are clearly steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of this type of problem, but it is never zero.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:13 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:04 pm
Ditto. This makes me glad that we bought our last vehicle new from a dealer. There are clearly steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of this type of problem, but it is never zero.
I agree there are some suggestions I've read, e.g. go meet in the parking lot of the local police/sheriff's station to make the final transaction. However, if someone is a criminal, that may not deter them LOL. :shock:

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:32 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:03 pm
N10sive wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:54 am

Even if Carfax had a warranty, the OP searched a specific vin # and then bought a different vehicle. The car purchased was not the one Carfax issued the report on.
I guess that is true. Amazing someone went through the effort to find the exact same vehicle so the VIN would work. Pretty crappy situation to be in.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:48 pm

Regarding VINs, on my current vehicle it is easily visible through the windshield and on the frame of the car where the driver’s door fits.

I also have a recollection that it is engraved/mounted somewhere on the engine.

Is there any where else it should be checked?

Bortky

Post by Bortky » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 pm

London wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am
This topic is really going to play well with the paranoid, risk averse nature of many on the forum (especially as it relates to third party transactions).

Sorry that you’re in this situation. It sounds like you did everything the right way and it still came up snake eyes.
Agree with this. Really sorry, OP, that absolutely sucks.

I have bought 3 used cars, 2 with cash from Private party (sold both a couple of years later) and 1 from a dealer. This does not deter me from doing it again, but does let me know of some other services to be a little extra careful.