Should I take the job in OKC or Orlando?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Streptococcus

Should I take the job in OKC or Orlando?

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 am

Okay, I'm not asking the board to decide where to move my family but I would like to have your perspective as there are financial implications.

Background info: I'm a physician and I have had the same job for almost a decade. Location was not our dream one but it was a pretty good pay. My spouse and I are frugal and great savers. Our network went from negative to about 1.4M.

When we devised our IPS years ago, we set our number at 2M. Once that number hit, we plan on working 6-9 months a year, indefinitely.
So now that we are closer to that number, we considered quitting our current non ideal location and high paying job to a desirable location with lower paying job.

Here comes Orlando:

I was offered a position in a private practice where I probably won't become a partner. And this is the significant negative. Work load is pretty light, 60% of what I do now, and pay is about 190K, about 50% of what I have been making. My spouse would work part-time or full time with a earning potential of 30-60K. To make this work, we had decided that if we continue to save 70K a year, which is about half what we currently save, we could easily cruise to our number. I think part of our anxiety is the fact that we have not earned about 200K or less in a decade and somehow, we feel anxious about moving to a place that is known to be fun, beachy, sunny, touristy (that means spending money).

First question: Do you think a salary around 210K could yield a comfortable life in Orlando while still saving 70K a years? I think we should be able to do it but it helps to have others perspective.

Second question: this is a more important one. What bothers me a little about this job is the fact that I would not have the possibility of becoming a partner. The practice a owned by a couple, one of which is a physician. I have never been in the mindset of making other people wealthier with my labor.
This could lead to frustration.
Any physician on this forum with experience in a practice where you are just an employee and your earning potential won't increase by more than 10%?

This leads to the second job in OKC:
Definitely less desirable location but better job, 2 months time off a year, 300K salary potential, cost of living seems less. This seems like the safe option but a part of me tells me that I'm caving. We are no longer in the big accumulation phase where we need to save 150K a year. We just want to live in a place where we love to be and continue saving a little.

What would you guys do?

Silk McCue

Re: Should I take the job in OKC or Orlando?

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:37 am

Please clarify your net worth. Are these invested assets or do they include your home or other items. Either way, please update your post and include that detailed information. How much you need to spend once you move will depend on whether you will have a mortgage, living in a nice middle income neighborhood or in an gated community with all of its trappings and costs.

If you want a job in Orlando where you could be a partner, just keep looking to find one before making this decision. You aren't in a rush to have to choose a position that you may regret.

Cheers

sjt

Post by sjt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am

Streptococcus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 am

Definitely less desirable location but better job,
Have you ever been to Orlando? I wouldn't want to live there. I've never been to OKC and I would happily move there blindly if the second choice was Orlando.
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:47 am

Of course you can save $70k on a combined income of $220-$250k. Nobody here can answer whether you're willing to potentially make lifestyle sacrifices in order to do so, but mathematically it's very easily possible.

PluckyDucky

Post by PluckyDucky » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:54 am

300k in OKC will go a lot farther than 200k in Orlando.

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:57 am

We lived in Edmond, a suburb of OKC for 5 years. It’s a better lifestyle than one might think.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 am

Are you coming from some uber high cost area like LA or San Francisco? $200k is wicked high pay, even for 2 full time spouses in Orlando.

Your concern about making partner, yet working only part time......are you kidding me?

There is no beach in Orlando. My sister and mom live there and double checking.....well.....there isn't. If you mean tourist attractions....sure, Disney is right nearby. I doubt you'll be plopping down in a house across the street from Universal.

Cost of living in Florida is very low. I suppose if you have to buy a new Ferrari every 3 years then sure, it'll be expensive. But houses are dirt cheap (to me....suburbs of Boston). My mom is currently in the process of buying one and it costs less than a Land Rover Sport.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:00 am

Living in a vacation destination, a community full of resorts, is not a great everyday living environment.

Your Orlando opportunity sounds bad for several reasons, one of which is Orlando.

I would evaluate the opportunity in OKC against your current situation AND against potential situations if you keep looking, not against Orlando.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 am

Orlando - hot, humid and thunderstorms
OKC - isn't that in tornado alley? I could be wrong.

All of that said, have you actually visited these places for say like a week? So you can scope out the immediate and surrounding vicinity. Just a thought. With the market at near high's, I would not say you could "coast" to your number. I mean you could, but you don't seem the type to be complacent. Especially your Orlando prospect, working for others with no potential of attaining a partnership role. I'd pass on that, if you really want that opportunity.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:09 am

deleted
Last edited by samsoes on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:10 am

Both options are bad IMO.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:13 am

As someone who lives in the area, I don't understand folks dissing Orlando. A few points though:

- $200k for a two-earner household isn't crazy high, especially when one spouse is a doctor or software engineer. Heck, even two "IT" professionals should be able to top that
- saving $70k with an income of $200k. Will be tough if you have kids - unless you include your principal payments, all 401(k) and other tax-advantaged savings.
- agreed that there are no beaches in Orlando but the last I checked there aren't any in OKC either. The beaches are about 40-50 miles away from Orlando
- the heat can be an issue obviously. So, it depends on where OP is coming from. Else - for someone like me - the cold in OKC would be a worse issue!

Bottom line: While I think Orlando is the better choice (heck, I live in the general area, don't I?), I don't think OP's earning potential looks too rosy here. Besides, a question I failed to ask was - where exactly in Orlando? It is a big urbanized area. If you are to work downtown, the traffic can be a bear!

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:21 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:37 am
Please clarify your net worth. Are these invested assets or do they include your home or other items. Either way, please update your post and include that detailed information. How much you need to spend once you move will depend on whether you will have a mortgage, living in a nice middle income neighborhood or in an gated community with all of its trappings and costs.

If you want a job in Orlando where you could be a partner, just keep looking to find one before making this decision. You aren't in a rush to have to choose a position that you may regret.

Cheers

Invested assets are 1.1M
Equity in our home is 300K. We have a 15 year mortgage and we’ll sell the house. Goal is to go for a 30 year mortgage next time around.
We have plenty of real estate but we will use them to pay for our kids colleges. Then, they will likely become part of our retirements.
We spend 90-100k a year but a lot of it has been to traveling from a more isolated location. We estimate spending 80-90K a year. My spouse and I are on the same page financially and we have always been able to tweak our expenses if need be.

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:22 am

sjt wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am
Streptococcus wrote:

Have you ever been to Orlando? I wouldn't want to live there. I've never been to OKC and I would happily move there blindly if the second choice was Orlando.
I have been to both Orlando and OKC

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:25 am

an_asker wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:13 am
As someone who lives in the area, I don't understand folks dissing Orlando. A few points though:
I have lived in the area since the late 60s when my family moved here pre-Disney while I was in the 2nd grade. The disdain for Orlando from folks here is laughable. The Greater Orlando area isn't the homogeneous life experience too many portray.

The area has a lot to offer but I won't waste my time trying to convince critics to change their minds. If they've only come here for a conference or a vacation their opinion carries no weight.

Cheers
Last edited by Silk McCue on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:27 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 am
Are you coming from some uber high cost area like LA or San Francisco? $200k is wicked high pay, even for 2 full time spouses in Orlando.

Your concern about making partner, yet working only part time......are you kidding me?

There is no beach in Orlando. My sister and mom live there and double checking.....well.....there isn't. If you mean tourist attractions....sure, Disney is right nearby. I doubt you'll be plopping down in a house across the street from Universal.

Cost of living in Florida is very low. I suppose if you have to buy a new Ferrari every 3 years then sure, it'll be expensive. But houses are dirt cheap (to me....suburbs of Boston). My mom is currently in the process of buying one and it costs less than a Land Rover Sport.
The beach is close enough to Orlando to meet our needs. We are not into Disney and the other Orlando attractions. I never mentioned wanting to work part-time. And finally, we already done an analysis of the cost of living in Orlando and it is cheap..er but not that cheap.

petulant

Post by petulant » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 am

What makes an area good or bad for you, OP? What are you looking for or what is fun? I live in OKC and there are definitely pros/cons--but for a family, there are good jobs, cheap houses, and very good schools for taking. 300K here will go much further than 200K in Orlando, commutes are not bad, etc.

An expensive but reasonable house in a good school district may be $500K at the most. $200-250K for a 2500 sq ft in a couple good larger suburban school districts. Cost of living otherwise is very low--groceries are cheap, utilities literally cheapest in country, etc.

There are some private schools in the 10K range. The "best" private school is $15-20K depending on age. Most well-to-do families send kids to a suburban public school.

Property taxes tend to run 1-1.25% of value with a good cap on increases for homesteads. Insurance on houses tends to be similar to tax, less as the house gets more expensive. So even for a $400K house, before mortgage you might be paying $600-700 a month in taxes/insurance.

Income tax is 5% from a small bracket (over about 20k iirc), so you would be mostly accurate to think of it as a flat 5%. Deductible on federal tax, but a definite con compared to Florida.

Bottom-line, you can definitely afford a good life in OKC and still save way more than 70K a year.

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:32 am

an_asker wrote:

- $200k for a two-earner household isn't crazy high, especially when one spouse is a doctor or software engineer. Heck, even two "IT" professionals should be able to top that
- saving $70k with an income of $200k. Will be tough if you have kids - unless you include your principal payments, all 401(k) and other tax-advantaged savings.
- agreed that there are no beaches in Orlando but the last I checked there aren't any in OKC either. The beaches are about 40-50 miles away from Orlando
- the heat can be an issue obviously. So, it depends on where OP is coming from. Else - for someone like me - the cold in OKC would be a worse issue!

Bottom line: While I think Orlando is the better choice (heck, I live in the general area, don't I?), I don't think OP's earning potential looks too rosy here. Besides, a question I failed to ask was - where exactly in Orlando? It is a big urbanized area. If you are to work downtown, the traffic can be a bear!
We have visited the area. Plan was to live in Winter Park, which would be 10 min from my job. Best schools in Orlando are there.

B_F_Skinner_Box

Post by B_F_Skinner_Box » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:33 am

I also live in Edmond, a higher income suburb north of OKC - and it's a great town - there's also Nichols Hills, another really nice "city" inside of OKC. OKC isn't as bad as its reputation.

I heard someone mention Tornadoes - they sound scary, but there aren't nearly as much of an issue as an outsider would think. The nice thing about tornadoes is that if you have an underground storm shelter in your house - you virtually CAN'T die from a tornado, and you typically have plenty of warning ahead of time. The yearly fatalities from tornadoes are very small relative to deaths from more common incidents (driving, heart attacks). In the infamous Moore tornado of 2013, 24 people died. It sounds callous, but relative to the population of the OKC metro, that's a small number, and that was one of the largest tornadoes to ever hit Oklahoma.

The real issue with OKC from this Oklahoman's point of view is (1) the heat, and (2) the school districts - but if you live in Edmond, the schools are good, and you also have plenty of money to attend private school - if you even have or will have children of school age.

I am a teacher at one of the three aforementioned "best" private schools for the OKC area - and they're all high quality schools.
Last edited by B_F_Skinner_Box on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
65% VTI | 20% BND | 15% VXUS

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:07 am
Orlando - hot, humid and thunderstorms
OKC - isn't that in tornado alley? I could be wrong.

All of that said, have you actually visited these places for say like a week? So you can scope out the immediate and surrounding vicinity. Just a thought. With the market at near high's, I would not say you could "coast" to your number. I mean you could, but you don't seem the type to be complacent. Especially your Orlando prospect, working for others with no potential of attaining a partnership role. I'd pass on that, if you really want that opportunity.
I like your points. I think I may suffer from lack of complacency :|

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:25 am
an_asker wrote:
I have lived in the area since the late 60s when my family moved here pre-Disney while I was in the 2nd grade. The disdain for Orlando from folks here is laughable. The Greater Orlando area isn't the homogeneous life experience too many portray.

The area has a lot to offer but I won't waste my time trying to convince critics to change their minds. If they've only come here for a conference or a vacation their opinion carries no weight.

Cheers
I know what you’re talking about. We are not into the touristy part of Orlando. In fact, we have never been to those parts and we’ve visited Orlando many times.
It is a combination of weather (we like it hot, humid and rainy), diversity, many amenities, growth, close enough beaches, nice location to fly out from, NBA team, low enough cost of living, no state taxes, swing state, real estate investing opportunities, being outdoor all year, family will want to visit, great high schools, ... do you want me to keep going?

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:44 am

Streptococcus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:32 am

We have visited the area. Plan was to live in Winter Park, which would be 10 min from my job. Best schools in Orlando are there.

Winter Park is a great area. Upscale and established. High quality Advent Hospital is very close, Rollins College is an excellent private school, a plethora of excellent restaurants and Park Ave is beautiful brick street with lots of shops and restaurants suitable for walking. Concerts and art shows in the park and direct access to the train. Like any populated area traffic can be a challenge at certain times of the day.

Cheers

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:49 am

Streptococcus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:32 am
That is a really nice part of town with great restaurants and activities for kids to do. There is something to be said for your kids growing up near two universities. (Rollins, walking distance, UCF driving distance). The real estate there is expensive, so you may want to do some research on that front.

If you really like Orlando, then I would encourage you to look for a different position based upon your misgivings. Orlando Health, Advent, and Nemours are in an "arms race" building locations like mad. My wife just finished her education, to become a provider, and the difference between her offers were kind of staggering. The one that offered the least pay required the most hours, the most flexibility, the most driving, and the most ancillary duties.

Keep in mind that Winter Park is kind of snooty.

Also keep in mind that there is plenty of mostly free things to do here. Spending a day at the beach or the Springs cost almost nothing. There are many attractions that have annual passes that are ridiculously low cost. (Orlando Science Center, and Sea world). If you are into cruising for vacations, Port Canaveral is 90 mins away.

I love it here.

AB609

Post by AB609 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:50 am

Sounds like Orlando is a better choice for you. I wouldn't worry too much about the partnership issues. There are lots of physician jobs in Orlando. If you don't like the particular job or the salary, you'll have other options.

mvilleguy9

Post by mvilleguy9 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 am

I would do Orlando because of 4 words: "Have a Magical Day!". It's under strong consideration for my wife and I to retire there. Admittedly we love Disney lol. And it's a great excuse for family to visit.

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am

petulant wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:29 am
What makes an area good or bad for you, OP? What are you looking for or what is fun? I live in OKC and there are definitely pros/cons--but for a family, there are good jobs, cheap houses, and very good schools for taking. 300K here will go much further than 200K in Orlando, commutes are not bad, etc.

An expensive but reasonable house in a good school district may be $500K at the most. $200-250K for a 2500 sq ft in a couple good larger suburban school districts. Cost of living otherwise is very low--groceries are cheap, utilities literally cheapest in country, etc.

There are some private schools in the 10K range. The "best" private school is $15-20K depending on age. Most well-to-do families send kids to a suburban public school.

Property taxes tend to run 1-1.25% of value with a good cap on increases for homesteads. Insurance on houses tends to be similar to tax, less as the house gets more expensive. So even for a $400K house, before mortgage you might be paying $600-700 a month in taxes/insurance.

Income tax is 5% from a small bracket (over about 20k iirc), so you would be mostly accurate to think of it as a flat 5%. Deductible on federal tax, but a definite con compared to Florida.

Bottom-line, you can definitely afford a good life in OKC and still save way more than 70K a year.
Thank you very much for the insightful post. If we move to OKC, we will want ti live in Edmond. We prefer Orlando, but a part of us wonders if it is worth the 100K difference. We even calculated that heck, we could commit to go to Florida one weekend a month and still come out ridiculously ahead.

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:19 am

B_F_Skinner_Box wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:33 am
I also live in Edmond, a higher income suburb north of OKC - and it's a great town - there's also Nichols Hills, another really nice "city" inside of OKC. OKC isn't as bad as its reputation.

I heard someone mention Tornadoes - they sound scary, but there aren't nearly as much of an issue as an outsider would think. The nice thing about tornadoes is that if you have an underground storm shelter in your house - you virtually CAN'T die from a tornado, and you typically have plenty of warning ahead of time. The yearly fatalities from tornadoes are very small relative to deaths from more common incidents (driving, heart attacks). In the infamous Moore tornado of 2013, 24 people died. It sounds callous, but relative to the population of the OKC metro, that's a small number, and that was one of the largest tornadoes to ever hit Oklahoma.

The real issue with OKC from this Oklahoman's point of view is (1) the heat, and (2) the school districts - but if you live in Edmond, the schools are good, and you also have plenty of money to attend private school - if you even have or will have children of school age.

I am a teacher at one of the three aforementioned "best" private schools for the OKC area - and they're all high quality schools.
Thank you! We have 3 middle schoolers and the school district will dictate our choices. Any advice on the best schools? We were considering moving to Edmond and avoiding the south side of OKC where tornadoes seem more frequent.

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 am

I'm not a fan of Orlando so I wouldn't move there unless I was doing it to make big money.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 am

Kind of a weird choice between two completely different cities. I find it surprising that someone who would consider living in OKC would also consider living in Orlando.

Does your lifestyle easily fit both cities? :shock:

In my case it would be an easy pass on both. The southeast isn't my type of weather. And OKC is well, OKC.

Maybe the best choice is to stay and see if something better comes along down the road.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:39 am

This is foremost a personal decision as where you live affects more than just your financial situation.

Doctors are in great demand as far as I know. Are these really your only two options? Neither option seems ideal - OKC is another less-than-ideal situation albeit for higher pay and FL job seems less desirable from a pay/partner scale.

Consider coming up with a short list of “ideal locations” and the minimum compensation amount you need to hit your financial goal as quickly as possible. Then go on an aggressive job search for a position that meets those criteria, in a field/practice you love and also for a position that fulfills spouse (or you make enough so spouse can retire now).

Best of luck!

ETA: your goal is $2 million and your portfolio is $1.4 million. At your current savings rate of $140k, you are about 4 years away from hitting your target. Hold out for the location and position(s) that suit you both best. No sense putting down roots in FL or OKC only to possibly move again in 4 years when you retire.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:44 am

Just got back from Orlando; go there all the time to visit family. If we ever move there we'll buy a house such that I don't have to commute further than a couple stop lights. The tourist nature of the place makes driving on the highways absolutely brutal. (I'm looking at you I-4.) I love that it rains most days that aren't in "winter", but that might bug you. I find it refreshing. You'll never see snow, but you'll also never see a tornado. Maybe a hurricane, but that is very rare and usually they're weak by the time they get to central Florida. The beach is definitely possible: the Gulf (my preference) or the Atlantic, depending on where you choose to live, are about an hour away.

So yeah, I'd pick Orlando over OKC everyday of the week. :beer
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 am

Spent 30 years buying physician practices (hundreds of them).

OP’s quote “The practice a owned by a couple, one of which is a physician.” This is going no where good for you. Remember, no one and I mean no one can put to another doc like a “Senior partner” and with a spouse involved look for an exit door.

Never been OKC maybe the airport so I have no valid points. I live part time in FL 2 hours from Orlando have relatives that do and they seem to like it well enough.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:48 am

I lived in the Orlando area for a couple of years. I personally would never want to live there again and I was living in some of the nicer areas, too, but your situation is different than mine. Winter Park is decent and feels less like Orlando and more like it could be anywhere in the U.S. There are shops, upscale areas better restaurants, etc. It sounds like since you like hot and humid, it is right up your alley. Make sure to keep in mind the Orlando area is very much one extreme or the other. You have Windermere which is a very nice area with million dollar mansions that is not too far away from Pine Hills, which is a very bad area that you wouldn't want to be around. There is Winter Springs and Oviedo which are nicer, especially the latter, but it is five minutes away from Casselberry and Goldenrod, which are not great areas. So, just keep an eye out. The downtown Orlando area isn't great and neither is much of Colonial Drive.

As far as being able to afford it, for young professionals, Orlando is not a good area to be in. A large number of the residents are in hospitality, service centers or other low wage service-oriented jobs. The doctors, nurses, lawyers and some other professions were the moneymakers in Florida for the most part and there are of course a ton of retirees. Since you are in one of those professions, a physician, you should be more than okay. You'll be fine. In the Orlando area, you shouldn't have to deal directly with hurricanes, but there are times, such as last year, when the power will go out for days at a time, so just make sure to be aware of that and keep your ears open for any announcements of coming hurricanes. Best of luck.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:57 am

Orlando (and it isn’t a contest) for a few reasons:

1. No state taxes vs. 4.5% for OKC
2. Far nicer metro area IMO, plus fantastic metros in the state (Miami, Tampa etc)
3. Quick drive to fantastic beaches
4. People move to Florida to retire for the rest of their lives ... do as many do the same for OKC? Hmmm
5. Fantastic family entertainment nearby
6. Giant nice homes in master planned communities they basically give away for nothing
7. Weather - Say what you want about hot humid summers, but I’d take that any day over 30 degree January lows in OKC . Winters in Florida are heaven.
8. Airport MCO - Far more direct flights to better destinations than OKC. You can thank Disney for this.

No brainer IMO to do Orlando.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am

I could live in either city pretty easily. Having said that, if OKC is giving me an extra $100k, I'll learn to love it more than Orlando (although being that close to Tampa is nice). On top of that you have the partnership issue. Just based on those points alone, this would be an easy decision for me. But surely there is more to consider?

MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am

We live within driving distance of Orlando (4-5 hours). Even if you reversed the salaries, I'm not sure I would take Orlando over OKC. Orlando is extremely hot, humid, traffic is borderline unbearable, and the tourist season is non-stop. When we visit our friends that live there, they claim "Yeah, it's the happiest place on earth unless you live here".

Having been to OKC as well, but for a much shorter period and only once, it seems quite nice. If you forced me to make a decision today it wouldn't even be debatable. In fact, I'd also choose Detroit over Orlando, if that tells you anything.

Coburn

Post by Coburn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:02 am

Not been to OK, but yes to FL...weather-wise, OKC is a little cooler and hence probably where I'd steer towards.

Tornados are a concern and the region gets a fair share of flash flooding, etc...both of which mean very careful selection of a proper site for a house if this move becomes a reality for you.

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 am

rich126 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:27 am
Kind of a weird choice between two completely different cities. I find it surprising that someone who would consider living in OKC would also consider living in Orlando.

Does your lifestyle easily fit both cities? :shock:

In my case it would be an easy pass on both. The southeast isn't my type of weather. And OKC is well, OKC.

Maybe the best choice is to stay and see if something better comes along down the road.
I do have other options that I will visit over the next 20 days, namely South Florida, North Carolina (close to Duke), and Virginia.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:25 am
an_asker wrote:

Cheers
So you were probably here when Orange County used to be called Mosquito County*?!! Wow!!

* - I don't recall (what I read about) when the name change occurred ... but I can assure readers that there are more mosquitoes in the Everglades than in Orlando :-)

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:08 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:39 am
This is foremost a personal decision as where you live affects more than just your financial situation.

Doctors are in great demand as far as I know. Are these really your only two options? Neither option seems ideal - OKC is another less-than-ideal situation albeit for higher pay and FL job seems less desirable from a pay/partner scale.

Consider coming up with a short list of “ideal locations” and the minimum compensation amount you need to hit your financial goal as quickly as possible. Then go on an aggressive job search for a position that meets those criteria, in a field/practice you love and also for a position that fulfills spouse (or you make enough so spouse can retire now).

Best of luck!

ETA: your goal is $2 million and your portfolio is $1.4 million. At your current savings rate of $140k, you are about 4 years away from hitting your target. Hold out for the location and position(s) that suit you both best. No sense putting down roots in FL or OKC only to possibly move again in 4 years when you retire.
Great advice. Thank you

GT99

Post by GT99 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:10 am

Seems like a case of false dilemma fallacy. Your choices aren't Orlando or OKC. The unnamed choice that seems like the correct choice would be to determine where you want to live (or a few options of where you want to live) and look for jobs there.

There are physicians everywhere. It might take a few months to find a job where you want to live, but why would you pigeon hole your options?

Regattamom

Post by Regattamom » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 am

I am from Oklahoma, my sister lives in Edmond, oldest child went to college in Oklahoma to my surprise. However, I would never move to Edmond or OKC.

I don't know your political or religious affiliations, and I don't care, but I would consider the culture of the cities especially if raising children. OKC may be a good fit for you. To each their own and luckily it's a big nation.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:18 am

Streptococcus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:05 am
[...]
I do have other options that I will visit over the next 20 days, namely South Florida, North Carolina (close to Duke), and Virginia.
I don't think you've said where you are from (wrt tolerance to heat/humidity or cold/freezes). But all else being equal, I wouldn't see why North Carolina and Virginia wouldn't rank higher!

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am

ERISA Stone wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 am
I could live in either city pretty easily. Having said that, if OKC is giving me an extra $100k, I'll learn to love it more than Orlando (although being that close to Tampa is nice). On top of that you have the partnership issue. Just based on those points alone, this would be an easy decision for me. But surely there is more to consider?
mrspock wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:57 am
Orlando (and it isn’t a contest) for a few reasons:

1. No state taxes vs. 4.5% for OKC
2. Far nicer metro area IMO, plus fantastic metros in the state (Miami, Tampa etc)
3. Quick drive to fantastic beaches
4. People move to Florida to retire for the rest of their lives ... do as many do the same for OKC? Hmmm
5. Fantastic family entertainment nearby
6. Giant nice homes in master planned communities they basically give away for nothing
7. Weather - Say what you want about hot humid summers, but I’d take that any day over 30 degree January lows in OKC . Winters in Florida are heaven.
8. Airport MCO - Far more direct flights to better destinations than OKC. You can thank Disney for this.

No brainer IMO to do Orlando.
I love the 2 differing opinions because they basically sum up our dilemma. We are flexible people who can and have lived anywhere. We make friends easily and our experience has been that your mindset and attitude plays a great role at making you happy where you live, wherever it is. That says, we really like Florida for a multitude of reasons mentioned above but an extra $100K a year in OKC would be 600K in 6 years, when our last kid goes to college. Thats a lot of money.
Plus the amount of work is the same in both locations. Plus I have 2 months off a year in OKC.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:43 am

Streptococcus wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:30 am

I love the 2 differing opinions because they basically sum up our dilemma. We are flexible people who can and have lived anywhere. We make friends easily and our experience has been that your mindset and attitude plays a great role at making you happy where you live, wherever it is. That says, we really like Florida for a multitude of reasons mentioned above but an extra $100K a year in OKC would be 600K in 6 years, when our last kid goes to college. Thats a lot of money.
Plus the amount of work is the same in both locations. Plus I have 2 months off a year in OKC.
You can always do a two-step tango starting in OKC and ending up in Orlando a few years down the line. We will always need good doctors here.

Cheers

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 am

I skipped ahead and haven't read the whole thread but OKC would be a good place to live. Especially on $300k

Topic Author
Streptococcus

Post by Streptococcus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:46 am

Regattamom wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 am
I am from Oklahoma, my sister lives in Edmond, oldest child went to college in Oklahoma to my surprise. However, I would never move to Edmond or OKC.

I don't know your political or religious affiliations, and I don't care, but I would consider the culture of the cities especially if raising children. OKC may be a good fit for you. To each their own and luckily it's a big nation.
I appreciate your input

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:07 pm

sjt wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am
Streptococcus wrote:
LOL, I was going to post exactly that until I saw you beat me to it. With apologies to an_asker and others who like Orlando: I’ve been there a few times and just didn’t care for it. That’s what makes horse races.

OP, you don’t want the job in Orlando, regardless of geography. Look into your other options. Me, personally, I’d
take a good long look at Virginia. I spent many happy years there; as JFK quipped about DC, it has Northern charm and Southern efficiency.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

KFBR392

Post by KFBR392 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:18 pm

This is (like so many posts it seems) really a personal decision for you and your family.

Is there a point at which you'd like to retire early to a totally different location? If that is the case, it might be worth picking OKC and saving more aggressively, knowing you will be moving again in 10-15 years. Otherwise, based on everything you've said, it sounds like Orlando makes the most sense.

It comes down to where you want to live, math be damned. I was born and raised in Norman, had a wonderful childhood, but moved away for college and never looked back. I visit family every few years but you couldn't pay me to move back to Oklahoma.

But others on this forum feel the same way about Southern California. Live where you want to live, and figure out the smartest way to do it.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:09 pm

Regattamom wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 am

I was raised in OKC and experience culture shock when I go back to visit (I live in a coastal city on the west coast.) It is just different; the people are very warm and friendly, and the vibe is very conservative and religious. People use words like "oriental." Some are out and out narrow-minded and prejudiced, but so many are warm hearted and giving. I have a relative who has an arsenal in the trunk of her car but visits old and sick people every week.

Oklahoma City has come a long way:
https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest- ... fat-to-fit

You have to fly into OKC from a hub elsewhere (Dallas, Denver, etc.) so travel in and out of there takes longer.

Either place will have humidity and bugs.

It is easier to escape a tornado than a hurricane. Back in the 1970s in OKC, a fairly large family of very tall people from my church all crammed into a downstairs bathroom without windows and survived their home being in the direct path of a tornado. They have sirens that warn when the tornado is coming.

Be careful about school districts--my old high school has metal detectors at the entrance now.